Notices

The Kids are alright

Old
02-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

vCash: 500
The Kids are alright

We need a non-prospect post about all the young kids playing in Dallas. I'm not going to try to break it up by age so let's just round it off at anyone who has not played 100 NHL games and is playing with the big club, including guys like Smith and Sceviour who may get shuffled back and forth. So this is the thread to share your thoughts about those young guys.

Eakin has his own thread but damn this kid is good and I'm searching for anyone to tell me why he can't be a legit 2nd line center. He hasn't scored yet but man he makes opportunities for his linemates and his puck pursuit is unreal. Good on whichever scouts said this should be our guy.

Roussel was fantastic tonight. The faceoffs alone make him valuable but the speed along with the determination to win one on one battles has basically signed Wandell's death warrant with me. His goal tonight was fantastic and I want to see more.

Dillion isn't a #1/2 but man that kid can be a good 3/4 down the road. He had a rocket of a shot tonight. It's nice to finally see at least one kid Gulutzan appears to have confidence in.

Garbutt's not really a prospect but as someone without a ton of NHL experience despite his age he's been everyone anyone could ask for as a 4th liner. Maybe he looks amazing in comparison to the dreck Dallas has been icing in it's bottom 6 for the last few seasons but man I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be the 12th forward every night.

Larsen needs to play.

Jordie Benn passes really well and is a good skater but his defending leaves something to be desired. While I'd rather he be in the lineup than Robidas he doesn't have the upside or the skills Larsen has. This 8 D thing cannot last and I only hope Gully or GMJN makes the right decisions in regards to the roster.

Oleksiak made some nice plays tonight and that reach of his should cause all kinds of problems when he clogs up passing lanes. I want to see more but yeah he appears to be an upgrade on what we've got.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
beardedgraf

will oleksiak stay up?

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Troy McClure

He should. He and Dillon deserve the most ice time of the four kids on defense.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
will oleksiak stay up?
His ice time gradually increased from Game 1 to 2, and he's involved throwing hits and blocking shots. He was even on the ice for an all Texas PK at one point.

I don't know if that's enough to convince GMJN to keep him. I do know that Jordie Benn would likely be the odd man out because of his two-way deal.

There's no reason to not just stick with him for a little while longer. He started slow in the AHL too with solid but unspectacular play. Fast forward a few months, and he's one of the better in the AHL. He, like most young players, need what Dallas refuses to give though .... patience and the permission to have some growing pains.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

I don't think dallas is going to carry 8 defensemen and it seems Larsen is the odd man out but are they going to continually scratch benn/rome as well?

Something has to give and if you fall out by that 5th game of his keeping him up for a wasted short season seems very short sighted. Perhaps they bring him back after the trade deadline assuming someone is sent out but going with the current 8 isn't advisable from a development standpoint for any of Larsen, Benn, or Olesiak.

This team does plenty of dumb things and it's very possible they keep him but I hope a move is made so all 8 don't stay. Regardless, Larsen can't go down and scratching him is beyond dumb.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Arkham32

"Jordie benn ‏@dartheighter: Austin bound, be there tomorrow"
Hopefully Larsen will takes his spot over Rome

Arkham32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

This is a great article about Dillon and his path to the NHL. Interesting fact, he's rooming at Robidas' place this season.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Great, now we can't get rid of him.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:56 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Great, now we can't get rid of him.
1st thought when I read that. Robidas is traded and then Dillon is homeless.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Just curious, do you expect Dillon to keep up with his play?

I'm asking from a fantasy point of view. 16 PIM/20 SOG/34 Hits. His SOG seems pretty high, do you expect him to keep up this pace?

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Tough2PlayAgainst
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Just curious, do you expect Dillon to keep up with his play?

I'm asking from a fantasy point of view. 16 PIM/20 SOG/34 Hits. His SOG seems pretty high, do you expect him to keep up this pace?
I do. He's one of the only defensemen who isn't afraid to shoot and he's probably been the most consistent defenseman on our roster.

Tough2PlayAgainst is online now   Reply With Quote