HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the potential of Hansen

View Poll Results: What's the potential of Hansen
Top 6 scorer 28 16.87%
Career third liner - albeit a good one 120 72.29%
Third/fourth liner 5 3.01%
Yes 26 15.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
So his potential is less than he got last year?
Well I think that will be his consistent stats.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

^^ I used to think that too, but after looking back on it I think it was actually a clean hit, IIRC.

Agree with Iceberg Slim - think he'll be a very good 3rd liner who can fill in occasionally in the top 6 and not look out of place.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Smokey McCanucks

He's fast and uses his speed well, great hustle, gets in well on the forecheck. He doesn't have great hands but his aggressive style of play leads to garbage goals fairly often, and his speed creates odd-man situations. He could play on a second line, where his contribution would probably be more to add defence and checking, energy, and grit than as a go-to scoring guy. He probably fits better as a go-to checker who can chip in offense.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:42 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Hansen - Kesler - Hansen
Hansen - Hansen - Hansen

I'd be a little nervous about giving him a center role on the 4th line but I think he could adapt to it. Plus both his wingers Hansen and Hansen are defensively responsible and should be able to help him out. Hopefully he could get better at faceoffs too.

YogiCanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 AM
nucksfan8888

I think he is done developing and this year what we are seeing is the final product prime Hansen.

But just what is he though?

He is the perfect 7th forward, able to jump into the top 6 in a pinch and a luxury on any teams thirdline. He hits often and effectively and skates at an elite level; as a bonus he has gone from Hansen stone hands to having probably the best vision on the team behind the top 4 forwards (Scroeder is still a prospect until he sticks with Kesler back) and his practice shot is showing up in game alot more often these days.

When on the second line his skating and forecheck keep the line going and keeps plays alive for skill players because hitting and skating are his two most consistent traits. When on the third line he is the offensive engine for the most part and the fact he plays against lower level defence in this role probably helps his offense look better. Which is why I would never want to have Hansen as a permanent top 6 forward, even though he is a great top 6 option.

Last edited by nucksfan8888: 02-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.
nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:18 AM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Hansen - Kesler - Hansen
Hansen - Hansen - Hansen

I'd be a little nervous about giving him a center role on the 4th line but I think he could adapt to it. Plus both his wingers Hansen and Hansen are defensively responsible and should be able to help him out. Hopefully he could get better at faceoffs too.
If we've discovered cloning why not just straight up team Kesler, Burrows and Sedins upfront with Kassian as the 13th forward.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
D.Sedin-Kesler-H.Sedin
Burrows-Kesler-Kesler
Burrows-Kesler-Burrows
Kassian

Old
02-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post
If we've discovered cloning why not just straight up team Kesler, Burrows and Sedins upfront with Kassian as the 13th forward.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
D.Sedin-Kesler-H.Sedin
Burrows-Kesler-Kesler
Burrows-Kesler-Burrows
Kassian
I like it but I'd like to see Ebbett crack that lineup...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Fraser Read

In the right scenario I think you could see him put up similar offensive numbers to burrows. Needs to work on his shot a bit more though.

Fraser Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:03 AM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
I like it but I'd like to see Ebbett crack that lineup...
AV would find a way lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
In the right scenario I think you could see him put up similar offensive numbers to burrows. Needs to work on his shot a bit more though.
I don't think Hansen will ever break 60 points or 30 goals with or without the right scenario.

Last edited by nucksfan8888: 02-08-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 03:05 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Isn't a really good 3rd liner someone who has flashes of top-six upside?
Not necessarily. Sami Pahlsson was a great 3rd liner, but he didn't scare too many goalies in his peak years with the Ducks.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:07 AM
VinnyC
Rangers fan I SWEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Not necessarily. Sami Pahlsson was a great 3rd liner, but he didn't scare too many goalies in his peak years with the Ducks.
Ditto with pre-injury Manny

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:32 AM
nucksfan8888

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Ditto with pre-injury Manny
When those 2 were 3rd liners they were EXCEPTIONAL defensively, as in almost selke worthy. But a 1 dimensional player is a 1 dimensional player, they can usually only play 1 role. Thats why at the end of the day I'd rather have a more well rounded player than any 1 dimensional player(especially at the center position).

Those 2 both killed any semblance of offense when on the canucks, and Manny was good in his role when he did that. Pahlsson was barely even a third liner in his time here but he was a good third line center throughout his career before (an he was decent on the ducks offensively from what I remember but that might just be cause they beat us that 1 year with his line shutting down the sedins), but niether player would look good penciled into a top 6 to start a few games, Hansen would.

If only Hansen could take faceoffs. Even still I would say he is in a different class than Manny and Pahlsson though. Those 2 were good 3rd liners(no top 6 ability) but Hansen is an elite third liner(someone who shows flashes of top 6 ability) just like Kesler is an elite 2nd line center, he shows flashes of 1st line talent.

Last edited by nucksfan8888: 02-08-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
biturbo19

Pretty much an ideal '3rd line' player. And because of the style of game he plays, a guy who can move up the lineup for spurts here and there without looking really out of place. Great complementary forward.

He's not a 'top-6 scorer' and i'd hesitate to call him a 'tweener' because he doesn't really fit the profile. He's just an extremely good 3rd liner who can move up in a pinch.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Mitts McCann

He doesn't have the pure offesnive instincts to be in the top 6 though he has the tools of a top 6 player. Hes a deadly third liner.

Mitts McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
If his game progresses anymore, I'd say he's a top six forward on most teams. Given power play opportunity, I think he'd be productive enough to call himself one. I prefer we use him as a top 9 tweener, though.

Regardless, pretty great 7th round pick, huh?
It's even better than that...9th round pick nr. 287 in 2004!
Mark Streit and Daniel Winnik was also 9'th round picks that year....so a great crop of steals

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
deckercky

I see his potential as similar to Higgins. 2nd/3rd line tweener who can be effective on the 2nd line if he's with the right mix of players, but more naturally belongs on the 3rd line. Enough speed and skill to still put up points on the third line.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:14 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I wonder what a third line consisting of:

Torres-Bolland-Hansen

Would be capable of...

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
D.Sedin-Kesler-H.Sedin
Burrows-Kesler-Kesler
Burrows-Kesler-Burrows
Kassian
Unlimited cloning and you don't make a 3rd Sedin?!

YogiCanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
He's a really, really good 3rd liner with flashes of top-six upside.
This

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

the answer to that question depends.

on this team: elite third line winger. able to do spot duty on 2nd line. i can see him breaking 20 goals in that role in the coming years.

on a garbage team: 30 goal scorer in a career year. then gets overpaid by someone else and resumes his career as a 3rd line, 15 goal scorer only instead of loving him, his fanbase will hate him for his contract.

except for the overpaid/hated part, kind of basically marty gelinas, right?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Hansen is so under-rated. One of the best two way forwards in the league, his GF/GA stats have been unreal for a while now relative to his regular linemates (because w/o him, their stats decline).

Because he has an extra gear and is stronger/more physical than Burr, I'd put him in the same class of Kes and Burr and if they can be top 6, so can Hansen. (that group is for the ages in terms of 2 way forwards).

The bigger question is why he isn't sent out there 20 minutes every game by the coaching staff. Games might not finish 5-3 in our favour, more like 2-1 but we won't be on the losing end when he comes off the ice.

As UFA, going to cost a pretty penny to re-sign, but it'll be worth every cent.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
He's fast and uses his speed well, great hustle, gets in well on the forecheck. He doesn't have great hands but his aggressive style of play leads to garbage goals fairly often, and his speed creates odd-man situations. He could play on a second line, where his contribution would probably be more to add defence and checking, energy, and grit than as a go-to scoring guy. He probably fits better as a go-to checker who can chip in offense.
i mostly agree but I think he has good hands if he would learn to be a little more patient and slow the play down a little bit sometimes.. Hes got hand quickness which you can't teach.. But to slow down and soften up the touch you can teach.. So I voted for career 3rd liner. However thinking about it I change my opinion to 2nd liner.

maybe we can get him to practice with Eberle in the offseason!!

NonBruinHatingCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Toxic0n
Clean elbow to chin

Quote:
Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Hansen - Kesler - Hansen
Hansen - Hansen - Hansen

Seriously though, a Center version of Hansen would be better than Bolland, in my opnion. If only...

Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Fat Tony

I sometimes wonder how many penalties he draws from the opposition just with his voice.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Seriously though, a Center version of Hansen would be better than Bolland, in my opnion. If only...
i agree.. And just think when Boedker signs with us to play on the Danish Express Line. I think Boedker is speedy enough and skilled enough to play his off wing with Hansen centering and Jensen LW

NonBruinHatingCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote