HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Old
02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Kovifan27

vCash: 500
If I have to choose between trading Niksy/Martin I'm trading Nisky unless we are taking on a massive salary like Iginla. Nisky for Stewart could work. I wouldn't worry too much about the D having problems besides some small hiccups that could be worked out before playoffs.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Still think the Blues are going to be aggressive in getting an upgrade on LD. Just as Ray will be finding Sid some help. Not seeing too many teams willing to deal one to them for Stewart. Nisky coming back soon will be interesting.

We dealt Gogo knowing we'd be icing a bottom pairing of a struggling Niskanen and Lovejoy. Moving Niskanen still allows us to ice a better D-corps than in years past. Get a depth 6/7 guy at the deadline.
Niskanen alone will not get us Stewart however given that we'll also have an issue having too many forwards on the NHL team, I wouldn't be surprised if Shero adds a forward like Kennedy (or Tangradi if their concerned about TK's cap hit) to replace Stewart's absence on the bottom 6.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Shero would make it a 2 for 2 with STL adding a lower depth D to balance the trade. Someone like Polak who's been a healthy scratch recently...

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
If I have to choose between trading Niksy/Martin I'm trading Nisky unless we are taking on a massive salary like Iginla. Nisky for Stewart could work. I wouldn't worry too much about the D having problems besides some small hiccups that could be worked out before playoffs.
Their are many teams out there that need a top 4 D. I think St. Louis adds to Stewart if they want Niskanen.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

We are not trading a roster player. Especially on defense. We trade Niskanen we are playing 2 rookies on the defense & that's when healthy. That's just stupid.

We have all these prospects that will be good three, four years from now. We have a healthy Malkin & Crosby now. We've already lost Staal. The time to make a move is now & trading anyone on this roster with the exception of the merry go around wingers makes us a worse team.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
Malkin and Letangs new contracts wouldnt count before season after next. So the real decision about Martin will prolly be in the summer of 2014.
We still have to prepare for those new contracts, and RIGHT NOW Paul Martin has value again. If we wait, that value might disappear like it did last spring.

Timing is everything in trading.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Blues have so balanced and good team right now, that's why I'm not sure would they want to trade Stewart for assets that we are willing to give away. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
We are not trading a roster player. Especially on defense. We trade Niskanen we are playing 2 rookies on the defense & that's when healthy. That's just stupid.

We have all these prospects that will be good three, four years from now. We have a healthy Malkin & Crosby now. We've already lost Staal. The time to make a move is now & trading anyone on this roster with the exception of the merry go around wingers makes us a worse team.
Well, I disagree. We have too many similar forwards, and any one of them can go and we wouldn't feel it. You're telling me you would have a problem if we traded Tyler Kennedy? Really?

We need to make a hockey trade. Involving roster players. We also need to keep our prospects, because they'll be cap-friendly when they arrive. Besides, we need to be sure WHICH defensemen are the right ones to move. And I don't think we're there yet.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
mpp9

What teams are going to move established goal scorers for futures?

I don't see Despres getting moved with how far along he is and his upside.

Gotta give to get. No reason why we can't package a roster D-man and another asset to bring back a winger and a depth defender.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Roman Polak was NOT a healthy scratch recently. Kris Russell is probably the guy we're thinking about.

And I do not want him.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
cheesedanish87

Anybody know if Dominic Moore is spose to play this year? If he is id love to replace TK with him and he would be our best option for 2nd line wing right now

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

D. Pouliot for Tampa's Brett Connolly .... I just saw it in the trade forum and I love it. A young, right handed winger who can't get up to Tampa's top six right now for a position that we do not have a huge need for.

And we can still look for Crosby's winger with possible roster assets down the line.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Anybody know if Dominic Moore is spose to play this year? If he is id love to replace TK with him and he would be our best option for 2nd line wing right now
He's a free agent currently, and his wife passed away before the season started, so I don't know if that has impacted whether he decides to play this season or not.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Roman Polak was NOT a healthy scratch recently. Kris Russell is probably the guy we're thinking about.

And I do not want him.
Stewart + Russell for Despres + Kennedy would sound something that could happen, if Stewart continues to play well. I'm not happy to trade Despres away though. That would be someway similar to Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski, except we would give Kennedy as a plus. Russell was great while playing in FEL(TPS), could be the "next Niskanen" for us in future(?). Not sure about Blues economics though, but that kind of trade would give them more room to sign guys like Pietrangelo, Shatty, Cole, Berglund etc.

Cooke/Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz/Boychuk - Malkin - Neal
Boychuk/Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Niskanen - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Bortuzzo - Engelland
Russell
-----------------------

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - Tarasenko
Steen - Sobotka - Kennedy
Schwartz - Nichol - Reaves

Cole - Pietrangelo
Jackman - Shattenkirk
Despres - Polak
Redden

Something like that for rest of the season (at least for us).

Old
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I'm not sure how you can compare Reese to Dumoulin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Dylan Reese is in no way a "prospect".

I was not comparing the two of them. I was trying to suggest that trading one of our decent (non-NHL) D plus a pick for someone like Umberger, would be a good value. IE not trading someone like Morrow, Harrington, etc as that would NOT be a good move / value in the long run most likely. That's all.

Not trying to infer anything about Reese's game or Dumoulin's other than, it won't hurt us to trade either of them most likely, if the return makes our Top 6 deeper.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Stewart + Russell for Despres + Kennedy would sound something that could happen, if Stewart continues to play well. I'm not happy to trade Despres away though. That would be someway similar to Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski, except we would give Kennedy as a plus. Russell was great while playing in FEL(TPS), could be the "next Niskanen" for us in future(?). Not sure about Blues economics though, but that kind of trade would give them more room to sign guys like Pietrangelo, Shatty, Cole, Berglund etc.

Cooke/Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz/Boychuk - Malkin - Neal
Boychuk/Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Would much rather have:

Dupuis - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - ??
Glass - Vatale - Adams

Unless we get another top 6 option, there's no reason to bump Dupuis to the 3rd line.

02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
mpp9

Looking for a hockey trade when our D is healthy and then using that lineup until the deadline is what Id do. Insert Bennett in a few games before the deadline and see what we have in him. Make another move if necessary.

Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?

Stewart would be perfect fit. He would cost, I would pay.

In ideal world:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal

Let the drooling begin.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Stewart would be perfect fit. He would cost, I would pay.

In ideal world:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal

Let the drooling begin.
Preaching to the choir. Stewart has his warts. He's not stellar defensively and he's an inconsistent physical player. But his strengths fit our team perfectly. I have no doubt he'd be our next Neal. Bringing a different skillset but similar offensive impact.

I think they'll give Bennett a shot before we'd make another move.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
specialized

If they bring up bennet would they need to release a player?

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
can Brassard play wing? he's an article from 2011 talking about him taking some shifts at wing.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post

Isnt the point of stockpiling those D prospects is that we're able to make other players expendable like Niskanen? The prospects themselves never get to full value unless they're able to show what they can do on a NHL level so to sell them before that occurs isnt maximizing value at all. Also being able to use them on ELC's in replacement of more expensive Dmen is also a more efficient use of cap space.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Isnt the point of stockpiling those D prospects is that we're able to make other players expendable like Niskanen? The prospects themselves never get to full value unless they're able to show what they can do on a NHL level so to sell them before that occurs isnt maximizing value at all. Also being able to use them on ELC's in replacement of more expensive Dmen is also a more efficient use of cap space.
Yep. Despres and Bort make Nisky expendable. Or IMO, Nisky makes Martin expendable in the right deal.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Lightning fan coming in peace--

Forgive me if it's been brought up recently (paged back quite a bit in this thread to double check), but is there any interest in bringing Ryan Malone back? We like him a lot, but we've got a lot of top 6 prospects and a relatively bare cupboard still for D prospects. I know he's had some success in Pittsburgh as well.

Is there a deal to be made here?

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Lightning fan coming in peace--

Forgive me if it's been brought up recently (paged back quite a bit in this thread to double check), but is there any interest in bringing Ryan Malone back? We like him a lot, but we've got a lot of top 6 prospects and a relatively bare cupboard still for D prospects. I know he's had some success in Pittsburgh as well.

Is there a deal to be made here?
His caphit and contract length may scare Shero, but I'd be open to it. He's a perfect fit for Malkin/Neal.

Old
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
We still have to prepare for those new contracts, and RIGHT NOW Paul Martin has value again. If we wait, that value might disappear like it did last spring.

Timing is everything in trading.
Martin put on 10 pounds, is way stronger and worked his ass off this off season..he's a keeper, unless we get a really good offer or if we need cap space.

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote