HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 03:46 PM
  #326
Kovifan27
Registered User
 
Kovifan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
If I have to choose between trading Niksy/Martin I'm trading Nisky unless we are taking on a massive salary like Iginla. Nisky for Stewart could work. I wouldn't worry too much about the D having problems besides some small hiccups that could be worked out before playoffs.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
  #327
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Still think the Blues are going to be aggressive in getting an upgrade on LD. Just as Ray will be finding Sid some help. Not seeing too many teams willing to deal one to them for Stewart. Nisky coming back soon will be interesting.

We dealt Gogo knowing we'd be icing a bottom pairing of a struggling Niskanen and Lovejoy. Moving Niskanen still allows us to ice a better D-corps than in years past. Get a depth 6/7 guy at the deadline.
Niskanen alone will not get us Stewart however given that we'll also have an issue having too many forwards on the NHL team, I wouldn't be surprised if Shero adds a forward like Kennedy (or Tangradi if their concerned about TK's cap hit) to replace Stewart's absence on the bottom 6.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Shero would make it a 2 for 2 with STL adding a lower depth D to balance the trade. Someone like Polak who's been a healthy scratch recently...

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
  #328
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,207
vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
If I have to choose between trading Niksy/Martin I'm trading Nisky unless we are taking on a massive salary like Iginla. Nisky for Stewart could work. I wouldn't worry too much about the D having problems besides some small hiccups that could be worked out before playoffs.
Their are many teams out there that need a top 4 D. I think St. Louis adds to Stewart if they want Niskanen.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
  #329
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,994
vCash: 500
We are not trading a roster player. Especially on defense. We trade Niskanen we are playing 2 rookies on the defense & that's when healthy. That's just stupid.

We have all these prospects that will be good three, four years from now. We have a healthy Malkin & Crosby now. We've already lost Staal. The time to make a move is now & trading anyone on this roster with the exception of the merry go around wingers makes us a worse team.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
  #330
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
Malkin and Letangs new contracts wouldnt count before season after next. So the real decision about Martin will prolly be in the summer of 2014.
We still have to prepare for those new contracts, and RIGHT NOW Paul Martin has value again. If we wait, that value might disappear like it did last spring.

Timing is everything in trading.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
  #331
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Blues have so balanced and good team right now, that's why I'm not sure would they want to trade Stewart for assets that we are willing to give away. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
  #332
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
We are not trading a roster player. Especially on defense. We trade Niskanen we are playing 2 rookies on the defense & that's when healthy. That's just stupid.

We have all these prospects that will be good three, four years from now. We have a healthy Malkin & Crosby now. We've already lost Staal. The time to make a move is now & trading anyone on this roster with the exception of the merry go around wingers makes us a worse team.
Well, I disagree. We have too many similar forwards, and any one of them can go and we wouldn't feel it. You're telling me you would have a problem if we traded Tyler Kennedy? Really?

We need to make a hockey trade. Involving roster players. We also need to keep our prospects, because they'll be cap-friendly when they arrive. Besides, we need to be sure WHICH defensemen are the right ones to move. And I don't think we're there yet.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
  #333
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
What teams are going to move established goal scorers for futures?

I don't see Despres getting moved with how far along he is and his upside.

Gotta give to get. No reason why we can't package a roster D-man and another asset to bring back a winger and a depth defender.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:04 PM
  #334
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 30,708
vCash: 500
Roman Polak was NOT a healthy scratch recently. Kris Russell is probably the guy we're thinking about.

And I do not want him.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
  #335
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 6,749
vCash: 500
Anybody know if Dominic Moore is spose to play this year? If he is id love to replace TK with him and he would be our best option for 2nd line wing right now

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:27 PM
  #336
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen
 
Pelican Peach Pen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LA & GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,744
vCash: 500
D. Pouliot for Tampa's Brett Connolly .... I just saw it in the trade forum and I love it. A young, right handed winger who can't get up to Tampa's top six right now for a position that we do not have a huge need for.

And we can still look for Crosby's winger with possible roster assets down the line.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
  #337
turd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Anybody know if Dominic Moore is spose to play this year? If he is id love to replace TK with him and he would be our best option for 2nd line wing right now
He's a free agent currently, and his wife passed away before the season started, so I don't know if that has impacted whether he decides to play this season or not.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:35 PM
  #338
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Roman Polak was NOT a healthy scratch recently. Kris Russell is probably the guy we're thinking about.

And I do not want him.
Stewart + Russell for Despres + Kennedy would sound something that could happen, if Stewart continues to play well. I'm not happy to trade Despres away though. That would be someway similar to Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski, except we would give Kennedy as a plus. Russell was great while playing in FEL(TPS), could be the "next Niskanen" for us in future(?). Not sure about Blues economics though, but that kind of trade would give them more room to sign guys like Pietrangelo, Shatty, Cole, Berglund etc.

Cooke/Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz/Boychuk - Malkin - Neal
Boychuk/Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Niskanen - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Bortuzzo - Engelland
Russell
-----------------------

McDonald - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - Tarasenko
Steen - Sobotka - Kennedy
Schwartz - Nichol - Reaves

Cole - Pietrangelo
Jackman - Shattenkirk
Despres - Polak
Redden

Something like that for rest of the season (at least for us).

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  #339
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 26,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I'm not sure how you can compare Reese to Dumoulin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Dylan Reese is in no way a "prospect".

I was not comparing the two of them. I was trying to suggest that trading one of our decent (non-NHL) D plus a pick for someone like Umberger, would be a good value. IE not trading someone like Morrow, Harrington, etc as that would NOT be a good move / value in the long run most likely. That's all.

Not trying to infer anything about Reese's game or Dumoulin's other than, it won't hurt us to trade either of them most likely, if the return makes our Top 6 deeper.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  #340
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Stewart + Russell for Despres + Kennedy would sound something that could happen, if Stewart continues to play well. I'm not happy to trade Despres away though. That would be someway similar to Neal + Niskanen for Goligoski, except we would give Kennedy as a plus. Russell was great while playing in FEL(TPS), could be the "next Niskanen" for us in future(?). Not sure about Blues economics though, but that kind of trade would give them more room to sign guys like Pietrangelo, Shatty, Cole, Berglund etc.

Cooke/Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz/Boychuk - Malkin - Neal
Boychuk/Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams
Would much rather have:

Dupuis - Crosby - Stewart
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - ??
Glass - Vatale - Adams

Unless we get another top 6 option, there's no reason to bump Dupuis to the 3rd line.

__________________
"I changed the whole game, man," Rinaldo said. "Who knows what the game would have been like if I didn't do what I did?" [after illegally running Letang from behind, slamming his head into the glass]
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
  #341
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
Looking for a hockey trade when our D is healthy and then using that lineup until the deadline is what Id do. Insert Bennett in a few games before the deadline and see what we have in him. Make another move if necessary.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  #342
Muscles4Malkin
Better 2015-16?
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Stewart would be perfect fit. He would cost, I would pay.

In ideal world:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal

Let the drooling begin.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:05 PM
  #343
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Stewart would be perfect fit. He would cost, I would pay.

In ideal world:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal

Let the drooling begin.
Preaching to the choir. Stewart has his warts. He's not stellar defensively and he's an inconsistent physical player. But his strengths fit our team perfectly. I have no doubt he'd be our next Neal. Bringing a different skillset but similar offensive impact.

I think they'll give Bennett a shot before we'd make another move.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
  #344
specialized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
If they bring up bennet would they need to release a player?

specialized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
  #345
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,578
vCash: 50
can Brassard play wing? he's an article from 2011 talking about him taking some shifts at wing.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
  #346
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,307
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
We are not trading a roster player. Especially on defense. We trade Niskanen we are playing 2 rookies on the defense & that's when healthy. That's just stupid.

We have all these prospects that will be good three, four years from now. We have a healthy Malkin & Crosby now. We've already lost Staal. The time to make a move is now & trading anyone on this roster with the exception of the merry go around wingers makes us a worse team.
Isnt the point of stockpiling those D prospects is that we're able to make other players expendable like Niskanen? The prospects themselves never get to full value unless they're able to show what they can do on a NHL level so to sell them before that occurs isnt maximizing value at all. Also being able to use them on ELC's in replacement of more expensive Dmen is also a more efficient use of cap space.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
  #347
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Isnt the point of stockpiling those D prospects is that we're able to make other players expendable like Niskanen? The prospects themselves never get to full value unless they're able to show what they can do on a NHL level so to sell them before that occurs isnt maximizing value at all. Also being able to use them on ELC's in replacement of more expensive Dmen is also a more efficient use of cap space.
Yep. Despres and Bort make Nisky expendable. Or IMO, Nisky makes Martin expendable in the right deal.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
  #348
2 Weekes Notice
Registered User
 
2 Weekes Notice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Non-traditional Land
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
Lightning fan coming in peace--

Forgive me if it's been brought up recently (paged back quite a bit in this thread to double check), but is there any interest in bringing Ryan Malone back? We like him a lot, but we've got a lot of top 6 prospects and a relatively bare cupboard still for D prospects. I know he's had some success in Pittsburgh as well.

Is there a deal to be made here?

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:31 PM
  #349
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 20,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Lightning fan coming in peace--

Forgive me if it's been brought up recently (paged back quite a bit in this thread to double check), but is there any interest in bringing Ryan Malone back? We like him a lot, but we've got a lot of top 6 prospects and a relatively bare cupboard still for D prospects. I know he's had some success in Pittsburgh as well.

Is there a deal to be made here?
His caphit and contract length may scare Shero, but I'd be open to it. He's a perfect fit for Malkin/Neal.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:33 PM
  #350
Lemieuxfan
Registered User
 
Lemieuxfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cologne
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
We still have to prepare for those new contracts, and RIGHT NOW Paul Martin has value again. If we wait, that value might disappear like it did last spring.

Timing is everything in trading.
Martin put on 10 pounds, is way stronger and worked his ass off this off season..he's a keeper, unless we get a really good offer or if we need cap space.

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.