HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part III: In Search of Wingers with Reverent Hands

Old
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
So Dupuis is replacing him now? We are going to trade Kennedy & Niskanen & get two good wingers?

I guess Kennedy is the new whipping boy despite the fact he has proven he can put up 30-40 points on the third line. For all his flaws he can produce as a 3rd liner. I'm glad Shero is smarter than half the people on this board. No way he depletes our current D-core for a winger or creates a hole in the bottom six.
you only need one winger out of that deal. Said winger goes on crosby's line over dupuis, dupuis moves to the third line which is a massive upgrade over TK. TK sucks this year and has had production issues in the past. I have no qualms with getting rid of him.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:11 PM
BigBadBoris

Quote:
So Dupuis is replacing him now? We are going to trade Kennedy & Niskanen & get two good wingers?

I guess Kennedy is the new whipping boy despite the fact he has proven he can put up 30-40 points on the third line. For all his flaws he can produce as a 3rd liner. I'm glad Shero is smarter than half the people on this board. No way he depletes our current D-core for a winger or creates a hole in the bottom six.
Dupuis has shown that he can produce at Kennedyīs level or above no matter which line he has played on, while being better defensively. Having Dupuis on the third line would make it a lot harder to play against than if Kennedy were on it

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
mpp9

Two winger upgrades. Maybe Bennett being one of them. Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis third line. What's so complicated about that?

We can use a roster D, futures and D prospects. Combining them would be our best bet to land sure fire upgrades. Allowing a guy like Dupuis to play in a role he's best suited for. He'll produce the same there as with Sid.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Hobodrifter

Quote:

Dupuis over Kennedy is a massive upgrade in all categories from offense to every night effort. TK is not the problem with this team but he is absolutely replaceable.

Hobodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:15 PM
zero8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Two winger upgrades. Maybe Bennett being one of them. Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis third line. What's so complicated about that?
Sounds great... and I see it happening. Although honestly I'd be surprised if it happens before March 15th or so as long as we are floating around in they playoff picture

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBadBoris

Quote:
Yeah, I would like that third line much more than the current.

BigBadBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

Quote:

I don't have many issues with moving Kennedy. I think he's expendable. Really any of our bottom six guys aside from Sutter are expendable.

I hate the idea of moving Matt Niskanen, though. We can't afford to lose any of Martin, Orpik, Letang, and Niskanen. Despres and Bort just aren't ready to slot into the top 4. The only way I'd be comfortable moving one of Orpik/Nisky/Martin would be if Shero managed to acquire a replacement in a separate deal. The only way I could stomach it is if we were getting somebody elite and cap-friendly.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
zero8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobodrifter View Post
Dupuis over Kennedy is a massive upgrade in all categories from offense to every night effort. TK is not the problem with this team but he is absolutely replaceable.
He's just overpaid. I think he feels pressure from that too. I used to love him, now when i associate him with 2M against the cap I don't anymore

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:17 PM
SEALBound

There's a slew of players here that could really benefit from a fresh start in order to thrive.

Kennedy, Tangradi, and Jeffrey are going no where on this team and we need something better.

Dumoulin, Maatta, Kennedy, Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bennet, and picks should be able to get us SOMETHING reasonable.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

If Dupuis is replacing Kennedy then where is this "hole" in the bottom 6? I don't follow.

Kunitz - Crosby - X
X - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Either we get two wingers, and both Crosby and Malkin get upgrades, or we get one trade and the other spot is filled by a combination of Boychuk/Jeffrey/Bennett/Tangradi. Two wingers is preferable, but one will make a world of difference.

Last edited by MrBurgundy*: 02-11-2013 at 09:23 PM.
MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Man, as bad as we've been at times STL has fallen off the wagon / is playing even worse the last several games. Mostly due to bad defense and Smelliot. I don't know what's going on but they're starting to look like a trade candidate, different from what they looked like at the start (dominant).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:24 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Man, as bad as we've been at times STL has fallen off the wagon / is playing even worse the last several games. Mostly due to bad defense and Smelliot. I don't know what's going on but they're starting to look like a trade candidate, different from what they looked like at the start (dominant).

Old
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I doubt Shero gave up and said **** it when assembling his defense for the playoffs. He didn't know if Sid or Geno would come back. Getting as far into the playoffs as possible is his job. That's where you make your money as a business.

I'd love to have Despres as a #5 in the postseason, but if the right deal comes along, I move a roster D Shero deems expendable.
I didn't say that he gave up, I said that he realized he wasn't winning the cup with either Sid or Geno out, let alone both. I know that we didn't know what was going on with Sid back then but Geno had torn ligaments in his knee and there was no way he was coming back during the playoffs despite the rumors that were flying.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
nhindian

Quote:

We can use a roster D, futures and D prospects. Combining them would be our best bet to land sure fire upgrades. Allowing a guy like Dupuis to play in a role he's best suited for. He'll produce the same there as with Sid.
Getting another GM to bite on trading their proven goal scorers for our third-liners and futures.

I'm sure if clear upgrades could be had for the scraps and unproven prospects we are offering, it'd be done already. Not so sure GMs are willing to move significant pieces of their team 14 games into the season though.

nhindian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I didn't say that he gave up, I said that he realized he wasn't winning the cup with either Sid or Geno out, let alone both. I know that we didn't know what was going on with Sid back then but Geno had torn ligaments in his knee and there was no way he was coming back during the playoffs despite the rumors that were flying.
He still made the trades for Neal, Niskanen, and Kovalev. He didn't sit on his ass either.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:32 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Paul Martin for TJ Oshie!!!

Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
AgentM

Quote:
He still made the trades for Neal, Niskanen, and Kovalev. He didn't sit on his ass either.
True - he made a long term deal in Neal and gave up absolutely nothing for Kovy.

Also we had a ton of extra cap space thanks to Geno and Sid being on LTIR. Did we need that for Neal or just the Kovy deal?

Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Getting another GM to bite on trading their proven goal scorers for our third-liners and futures.

I'm sure if clear upgrades could be had for the scraps and unproven prospects we are offering, it'd be done already. Not so sure GMs are willing to move significant pieces of their team 14 games into the season though.
We're not making moves until our D is healthy. Wouldn't expect a deal at this point in the season.

We have plenty of pieces that can get us quality forward talent.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:37 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
True - he made a long term deal in Neal and gave up absolutely nothing for Kovy.

Also we had a ton of extra cap space thanks to Geno and Sid being on LTIR. Did we need that for Neal or just the Kovy deal?
I know what you're saying, but he tried to improve the team without selling the farm. He wanted to get far in the playoffs, but he wasn't fooling himself either.

As for the last question, I don't remember.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I know what you're saying, but he tried to improve the team without selling the farm. He wanted to get far in the playoffs, but he wasn't fooling himself either.

As for the last question, I don't remember.
I agree with that, I just feel he had more leeway/less expectations that year, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just hope we do more than last year at the deadline...

Old
02-11-2013, 09:44 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I agree with that, I just feel he had more leeway/less expectations that year, but maybe I'm wrong.

I just hope we do more than last year at the deadline...
I'm sure he'll do something. Like I said earlier, this is a defining deadline for Shero. He finally has the pieces and cap space to acquire a long term solution for Crosby. If he doesn't get it, I think most people will consider it as somewhat of a failure. At least considering he missed on Parise this summer after freeing up cap space to acquire him.

Old
02-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Paul Martin for TJ Oshie!!!

oh man, i would love Oshie on this team. Don't think it will ever happen though.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:

They needed it for both, but they never touched Sid's cap. They only used Geno's.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pancakes

You guys set your sights so high. I'd be happy with an NHL caliber forward of any variety on Malkin's line.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post

GMs trade proven players for futures all the time. Why is this a foreign concept? Kessel, Nash, Richards, Hossa, Kovy, etc.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote