Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Bruins planning to offer Rask contract in-season

Old
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

vCash: 500
I say wait until the season is done..... but PC is the man in charge..............

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
Should Chiarelli have let Rask continue on this torrid pace and possibly win a Vezina before he offered him an extension? He's saving himself at least $2-3M AAV by doing this now.
Rask is playing well but Torrid pace, not really.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Gotta be 5ish over 4.

Baddkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Rask is playing well but Torrid pace, not really.
What goalie in the NHL will outperform Tuukka?

Quick and Bumquist aren't off to the starts he is. And Zdeno hasn't even played his best hockey yet.

PC is going to have an uphill battle arguing with Tuukka's agent that he ISNT the best goalie in the NHL since I assume stats will back it up.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Luongo won Olympics vs USA for canada ,And he shut Bruins out twice in the finals.Vancouver got buillied a bit by bruins asnd wore down but missing a top pairing D man and then ROme hurt abd too,,he good goalie.Rask is too and Bruins best option for long time so they best get him locked in now,
how many times did he getted pulled during that playoff run and not just against the B's. I am not saying he is not good I am saying he is very good but I would not be comfortable until he proved he could be consistant in the playoffs and he has not done that yet.

The nuck's were lucky they had another #1 as a backup if they didn't they would not have been in the finals to face the Bruins.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
He did out play Miller and beat Buffalo, got up 3-0 on Philly with a depleted line-up infront of him.
agree he did out play miller in the Buffalo series then he ran out of gas in the Philly one. Yes there was a depleted line-up infront of him but he was not good in the last 4 games either. I think he is a very good goalie and i am very happy to have him but until he shows me he could be consistant in the playoffs and not run out of gas I am not going to be confident going into the playoffs. with Thomas we had Tuukka as a safty net. What is the safety net we have for Rask?

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:47 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
What goalie in the NHL will outperform Tuukka?

Quick and Bumquist aren't off to the starts he is. And Zdeno hasn't even played his best hockey yet.

PC is going to have an uphill battle arguing with Tuukka's agent that he ISNT the best goalie in the NHL since I assume stats will back it up.

What goalie will? Or did you mean to ask, what goalie is outperforming Rask now since I mearly disagreed with the phrase 'torrid pace'? Craig Anderson started the season on a torrid pace if you want my defintion of the word in the context it was used.

Who will win the Vezina? Since it's a short season anyone can win it, a goalie can get hot for a month and win it this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Luongo won this year, or Price or Craig Anderson even.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

Quote:
What goalie will? Or did you mean to ask, what goalie is outperforming Rask now since I mearly disagreed with the phrase 'torrid pace'? Craig Anderson started the season on a torrid pace if you want my defintion of the word in the context it was used.

Who will win the Vezina? Since it's a short season anyone can win it, a goalie can get hot for a month and win it this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Luongo won this year, or Price or Craig Anderson even.
FYI, I said it before, but if you take out the Buffalo game (most of the goals were due to terrrrrrrible defensive lapses to boot) Rask has the second highest save percentage in the league

So I'm not sure what you consider torrid but 2nd in the league is alright with me there

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
finchster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
FYI, I said it before, but if you take out the Buffalo game (most of the goals were due to terrrrrrrible defensive lapses to boot) Rask has the second highest save percentage in the league

So I'm not sure what you consider torrid but 2nd in the league is alright with me there
I'm sure every goalie would like to have their worse game of the year off the record, unfortunately they all count.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
yeah that Tim Thomas was just an afterthought when we won the cup.
Yes, cause I am denying his level of play

Look around the league and find me a top goalie outside of a great defensive team. Plenty of goalies that have been considered crap before are now reaching the top.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:

Sure.

I just think you can say there is a 70-80% chance Rask ends the year as a top 3 goalie statistically. (And if he doesn't theres a good chance its b/c of injury.)

That may be debatable but its hardly a stretch. Tuukka takes home the Vezina or comes runner up then its his agents job to make him the highest paid goalie in the NHL. Thats how things work. When you reach that point Chiarelli is forced to pony up big cash which will cost us a roster player.

Look at the Baltimore Ravens. They have a QB who is barely a top 10 NFL QB. But they didn't pay him b/c of this. Why would they pay him in the offseason when Reed blaseted him publicly? Why pay him week 10 when the team is struggling? Guess what he won the Super Bowl. Now he expects to be the highest paid player in the league. Anything they gave him in the summer would have been a bargain compared to what he'll get now.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:20 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
He did out play Miller and beat Buffalo, got up 3-0 on Philly with a depleted line-up infront of him.
and then like almost everybody else on the team his game fell apart.I am not knocking him and I have been very impressed by his play lately but Rask has had to learn and improve his game like Thomas did.He appears ready to shine now but in the past he has shown signs of inconsistency,let's hope those days are behind him.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Luongo brought his team 1 game away from winning a Cup. He also won an Olympic gold.

He's a damn good goalie that only got beat by a slightly better one.

If Rask turns out to be anything like him, Bruins are in excellent shape.
I don't buy that argument.The fact is Luongo was terribly inconsistent in the year he brought his team 1 game away from the Cup.Had he just been ''average'' in the finals against the B's his team would have been the champions.He was absolutely terrible in the games that he played in Boston.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

As many stated, 5 years/25 millions seems to be right amount if you consider Price's extension. I think Rask will be a very good goaltender for the Bruins but he will hit rough patches as any goaltender. Our team is strong and so far, Rask has been the difference in 2-3 games, this season, which is a very good sign.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Hater is the most overused word since 2011
Vernacular Hater

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Cheesy

I think 5 x 5 is extremely fair. We all know how good Rask is, but he is still somewhat unproven in the playoffs.

I can't see him getting much more than Fleury, who is a Stanley Cup winner. That argument works in Chiarelli's favor. Price is clearly overpaid IMO.

I have a feeling that if Pete offers $25million over 5 years it gets done.

Cheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:56 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
As many stated, 5 years/25 millions seems to be right amount if you consider Price's extension. I think Rask will be a very good goaltender for the Bruins but he will hit rough patches as any goaltender. Our team is strong and so far, Rask has been the difference in 2-3 games, this season, which is a very good sign.
I agree with this- makes a lot of sense; only two concerns with Tuukka, he has been injured here and there, is not the biggest guy and Boston would be wise and likely would keep him fresh...and playoffs. He was very poor imo the year Providence was loaded and was the chief culpret in letting Portland come back from down two to take four straight. Rask let in a late goal in Portland with the Bruins up a goal and ready to go up 3-0 in the series, We drove up and sat right in back of Rask on the glass and it was really weak- just horrible and they lost in OT, and repeated the same thing game 4.

He also in game 7 vs the Flyers let in that late goal to give them life at the end of the first in Boston's argualby best period I've seen since Claude was here. They destroyed Philly that period but that goal allowed the Flyers to remain calm and right the ship.

Tuukka has though won a tough series vs Buffalo so thats a good thing.

I like him a lot, think he is a legit number one guy just need to see health, and strong playoff run; but I'd be willing to gamble right now and sign him if he can be had for a fair price. Heard he loves the team and city so should not be a problem

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I'm looking at Jonas Hiller as my comparable. He signed a feeler contract for a couple of seasons and when he proved he could get the job done (the Ducks' most important player IMO), he signed a four year deal at $18M.

I don't think Chiarelli is going to sign a 'tender for too long of a term. I think it can be dangerous to do that too.

A three or four year contract that starts at $5M and increases by $500K from one season to the next. My suggestion is a three-year... $5.5M cap hit (or $5.75M/yr if signed for 4).

Love Tuukka, by the way (how can you not?) and my eyes are looking at a guy who so far this season, has improved in almost every way that may have caused me hesitation in the past. He's challenging shooters and his recovery is remarkable. Unreal... Love the guy and happy to hear that Chiarelli wants to get a deal done.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:58 PM
NastyNate17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
That would be ****ing fantastic.

It's Tuukka time and I couldn't be happier if it could be for 6 years.
Hopefully longer than that! The only way Tuukka isn't still our #1 in that time span would be strictly due to health reasons. He's going to give us a chance to compete for a cup each year. I believe as long as we are firing on all cylinders and the offense is putting pucks in the net, he'll have his name on the cup as Boston's starter when it's all said and done.

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:55 PM
northeastern

id be happy with 5 a year for 5 years? How old is he 25 right?

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
good gamble.. they seem to think he is legit for 3 years now.

Better get him in now than when he has a lights out playoff.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Fluto speculated today that Rask will be looking for Carey Price money as a comparable . 6 to 6 million plus for 5 to 6 years.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Fluto speculated today that Rask will be looking for Carey Price money as a comparable . 6 to 6 million plus for 5 to 6 years.
I'm fine with the length, but 6 mil plus?

I think you gotta sign him...he's clearly played well to start the season and has proven he can be the #1 these first few games and in his starts spelling TT in previous years, but that's a million more a year than I'd pay him frankly.

Chia might be over the barrel on this one.

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Agreed. I'm at five for five .

Especially with Cap dropping next year.

Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:41 PM