HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Rielly have the Potential to be the Leafs Karlsson?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 02:35 PM
  #26
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
He's at nearly a point a game (38 points in 42 games) on one of the WORST teams in the WHL. And he's about even in +/-.

His team has scored ~140 goals and have allowed ~190.

That's absurd! Moose Jaw is absolutely atrocious. Classic case of just stat watching here.

If he was on one of the better WHL teams he would have 50 points in 42 games easily.
Firstly, with regards to statistics, Rielly's production has come down since a hot start, and is settling under a point a game, which is no improvement on what he did last year in the smaller sample size.

Secondly, his timid WJC performance is a failure, whether you consider that he was individually not outstanding or that his team crashed and burned.

Thirdly, Moose Jaw is one of the bottom five teams in the league, but if you're expecting an Erik Karlsson out of Rielly, he's got to be dominating juniors and doing a lot more for his team...

If you want to be called a special player, do special things.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
  #27
Sergei Berezin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
After the draft, a lot of Sens came up to me and told me that we had the next Karlsson in Rielly.

Doesn't mean much, but hey, if Karlssons biggest supporters think we've got someone similar, I'm not gonna argue.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
  #28
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
I love the way people think. it's hilarious...

Karlsson before he was good - "OMG shut up, he's never going to be as good as (insert name)"

Now (new player drafted) - "He will never be as good as Karlsson"

meah it's all non sense

Pretty much this.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
  #29
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Haha... typical Leaf fan mentality.

Draft prospect... pick the best possible NHL comparable... hold him to that standard throughout his life as a Leaf

I don't want Rielly to be Erik Karlsson or Brian Leetch.... I want him to be the next Morgan Rielly.

If Biggs doesn't become Milan Lucic... all hell will break loose.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
  #30
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,972
vCash: 500
Karlsson is just something else.

At this point, I'd be happy if Reilly turns out to the best defenseman on the Leafs.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  #31
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Firstly, with regards to statistics, Rielly's production has come down since a hot start, and is settling under a point a game, which is no improvement on what he did last year in the smaller sample size.

Secondly, his timid WJC performance is a failure, whether you consider that he was individually not outstanding or that his team crashed and burned.

Thirdly, Moose Jaw is one of the bottom five teams in the league, but if you're expecting an Erik Karlsson out of Rielly, he's got to be dominating juniors and doing a lot more for his team...

If you want to be called a special player, do special things.
Yeah, I mean Nail Yakupov was so great for his team. OHL Championship and Memorial Cup and all....oh wait.

I don't know if anyone on Moose Jaw was a 1st or 2nd round draft pick besides M.Rielly..

Points in the WHL are as garbage as +/-. I'd be just as satisfied with Morgan Rielly if he had 20 points. He has great offensive instincts that's all that matter.

Timid WJC performance? Entire team sucked. Dougie Hamilton has crashed and burned twice in the WJC and people are already giving him the Norris.

Being a good player on your team while the entire team sucks is proof enough in my books.

Rielly can't play 60 minutes a night for MJ.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  #32
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Karlsson is just a very very rare player. There are not many defenseman that can do what he can do.

I compare Rielly to a guy like Letang/Keith.

He'll help the Leafs PP a lot, help the Leafs get out of their zone but I don't see him being that good offensively. He might have one year where he gets like 60 points but Karlsson is easily better offensively than any defenseman in the league.

Tough to compare a prospect to a Norris Trophy winner. I see similarities but I don't think Rielly has that kind of offense.

I still love the player though. Solid addtion to the Leafs, if all goes well he can be a franchise player for the Leafs.
Yep couldn't agree more. If he ends up being a 45-55 point dman that runs the PP and plays 24-25 mins a game, I dont think anyone will ever complain about having him.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
  #33
Superstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Nobody ever thought Karlsson would be this good, otherwise he would have challenged those other d men picked in the top 5 in the 2008 draft. So who knows, maybe Rielly will be better.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
  #34
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah, I mean Nail Yakupov was so great for his team. OHL Championship and Memorial Cup and all....oh wait.

I don't know if anyone on Moose Jaw was a 1st or 2nd round draft pick besides M.Rielly..

Points in the WHL are as garbage as +/-. I'd be just as satisfied with Morgan Rielly if he had 20 points. He has great offensive instincts that's all that matter.

Timid WJC performance? Entire team sucked. Dougie Hamilton has crashed and burned twice in the WJC and people are already giving him the Norris.

Being a good player on your team while the entire team sucks is proof enough in my books.

Rielly can't play 60 minutes a night for MJ.
so rielly's level of play is completely dependent on the quality of the team surrounding him....even at the junior level.

doesn't sound like a guy who can ever make much of an impact for the leafs.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
  #35
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
so rielly's level of play is completely dependent on the quality of the team surrounding him....even at the junior level.

doesn't sound like a guy who can ever make much of an impact for the leafs.


When Morgan Rielly went to the WJC, Moose Jaw Warriors were in a 9-10 game losing streak. He comes back, they win.

What does that tell you?

Let's compare D on that team that have played more than 20 games:

Morgan Rielly, -1
Rest of D combined: -82, with no one better than -9.

He leads the D in points despite playing 10 less games than most of them.

Are people really that blind?

Moose Jaw has terrible defense, goalies that don't even have .900SV and no top prospect on the team beside Morgan Rielly.

Seth Jones is a +26 and has about the same points as Rielly in Portland and he's surrounded by a PLETHORA of talent.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:57 PM
  #36
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post


When Morgan Rielly went to the WJC, Moose Jaw Warriors were in a 9-10 game losing streak. He comes back, they win.

What does that tell you?

Let's compare D on that team that have played more than 20 games:

Morgan Rielly, -1
Rest of D combined: -82, with no one better than -9.

He leads the D in points despite playing 10 less games than most of them.

Are people really that blind?

Moose Jaw has terrible defense, goalies that don't even have .900SV and no top prospect on the team beside Morgan Rielly.
yeah, he's the best defenceman and player on the moose jaw warriors. anyone argue that point, or say that he isn't?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
  #37
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
so rielly's level of play is completely dependent on the quality of the team surrounding him....even at the junior level.

doesn't sound like a guy who can ever make much of an impact for the leafs.
I dont think hes trying to say that at all. Hes saying that he has been able to produce quality hockey, with noone to help him.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
  #38
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
I don't think Karlsson is as good as some make him out to be he's a great offensive talent no doubt it didn't think he deserved the Norris but give it a year or 2 and the league will figure out how to slow him down. and his defense is average right now, Mike Green had back to back ppg season's in 08-09, 09-10, including 31 goals in one of them. he's come back down now, and yes I realize injuries had something to do with it but I still don't think he would have maintained 70 pts year in year out. I expect Karlsson to settle in around 55-65 point marks throw out his career.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:01 PM
  #39
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post


When Morgan Rielly went to the WJC, Moose Jaw Warriors were in a 9-10 game losing streak. He comes back, they win.

What does that tell you?

Let's compare D on that team that have played more than 20 games:

Morgan Rielly, -1
Rest of D combined: -82, with no one better than -9.

He leads the D in points despite playing 10 less games than most of them.

Are people really that blind?

Moose Jaw has terrible defense, goalies that don't even have .900SV and no top prospect on the team beside Morgan Rielly.

Seth Jones is a +26 and has about the same points as Rielly in Portland and he's surrounded by a PLETHORA of talent.
Not to mention Jones is only what, 7 months younger then Rielly?

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
  #40
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,320
vCash: 500
So people think his modestly good MJ performance equates to Norris calibre NHL success? To have justified that first overall quality hype by Burke he needed to have shone a lot brighter, IMO.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
  #41
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
yeah, he's the best defenceman and player on the moose jaw warriors. anyone argue that point, or say that he isn't?
"so rielly's level of play is completely dependent on the quality of the team surrounding him....even at the junior level.

doesn't sound like a guy who can ever make much of an impact for the leafs."

You dont have to dominate on your WHL team to have an impact on our NHL team.

90% of the people haven't watched him play and see his numbers (which are spectacular) and say "He's not PPG, that means he is not better than last year"

Look beyond the numbers and see how his coach says he has progressed defensively and he's well on his way to being a 2 way defenseman.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
  #42
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Rielly has similar vision, but Karlsson ability to get pucks on net and his shot in general is on another level. Adds an unpredictability to his game. Shoot or pass whereas guys like Kaberle/Rielly are pass or pass.

I will say that Matt Finn has a heavy shot. As of right now he has the highest goals per game average out of any defense man drafted in 2012 (with the exception of Trouba). Matt Finn and Morgan Rielly is a future top/ top 4 pairing. Finn is an everything man.
Full optimist: our top 2 picks in 2012 (Rielly/Finn) are like Anaheim's in 2008 (Gardiner/Schultz)

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
  #43
Kamal007
A$VP
 
Kamal007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 500
Comparing him to Erik Karlsson is just unfair. Karlsson is a magician who will most likely win multiple Norris trophies. Doubt Reilly ever even gets one.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:06 PM
  #44
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So people think his modestly good MJ performance equates to Norris calibre NHL success? To have justified that first overall quality hype by Burke he needed to have shone a lot brighter, IMO.
I'm not trying to justify his first overall quality. I was pointing out that he has had a stellar year. He made the WJC, sure he didnt blow us out of the water, but he was better then a lot of other players. I didn't see Spott giving him more opportunity after the one game he had a goal and 2 assists, maybe he could have done more if he had. He's been neer a PPG on a terrible team and by far there best player.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
  #45
hobarth
Registered User
 
hobarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Karlsson is just something else.

At this point, I'd be happy if Reilly turns out to the best defenseman on the Leafs.
Well put.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
  #46
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So people think his modestly good MJ performance equates to Norris calibre NHL success? To have justified that first overall quality hype by Burke he needed to have shone a lot brighter, IMO.
Why do you say he's been "modestly good" for Moose Jaw?

He's been nothing short of fantastic for them, not only offensively but defensively.

Are you just saying this while looking at the stats, or by watching him play? Not attacking you, just curious. It would really put into perspective your arguments.

I'm not saying he's a future Norris trophy winner or anything like that, but he's been carrying the Warriors pretty much every game he's played there.

There's a reason why their GM did not want to trade him for anything, literally.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
  #47
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I'm not trying to justify his first overall quality. I was pointing out that he has had a stellar year. He made the WJC, sure he didnt blow us out of the water, but he was better then a lot of other players. I didn't see Spott giving him more opportunity after the one game he had a goal and 2 assists, maybe he could have done more if he had. He's been neer a PPG on a terrible team and by far there best player.
Don't bother.

Most Leaf fans here:

Step 1: WHL.ca

Step 2: Check if Moose Jaw is playing tonight.

Step 3: Go to the website after the game and see how many points he had.

0-1 points, or minus player: Rielly was terrible tonight. 1+ points or plus player: Rielly was fantastic!

Leaf fans are far more attached to numbers. Rielly better be PPG or Nonis better trade him quickly, because he's not going to be much better than MAB. His trade value drops every time he doesn't put up points.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  #48
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Are you just saying this while looking at the stats, or by watching him play? Not attacking you, just curious. It would really put into perspective your arguments.
He's clearly stat watching. Look at his arguments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Firstly, with regards to statistics, Rielly's production has come down since a hot start, and is settling under a point a game, which is no improvement on what he did last year in the smaller sample size.


If Rielly had, say, 5 more points he wouldn't be whining about him.

A D-man on a terrible team (with how many good players?) "settling under a poing a game" OH MY! HOW TERRIBLE!


Look at his team: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...009992013.html

Terrible all throughout.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  #49
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Don't bother.

Most Leaf fans here:

Step 1: WHL.ca

Step 2: Check if Moose Jaw is playing tonight.

Step 3: Go to the website after the game and see how many points he had.

0-1 points, or minus player: Rielly was terrible tonight. 1+ points or plus player: Rielly was fantastic!

Leaf fans are far more attached to numbers. Rielly better be PPG or Nonis better trade him quickly, because he's not going to be much better than MAB. His trade value drops every time he doesn't put up points.
I couldn't agree more. Most fans will also be expecting him to come in and win the Calder next year. Which in reality he will probably be back with Moose Jaw. One reason I am so happy they sent him down and didn't even let him play his five games. Rielly will be an awesome player for us, people just need to let him take a few years to develop to that player. It was a terrible choice for Burke to associate him with the number one pick at all. Put way to much pressure on him.

IMO when Phaneuf is 29 and Rielly is entering the league as a rookie, that pairing will suprise a lot of people. It'll be like the Rielly-Hamilton pairing, except Phaneuf will be a 10 year veteran that will really help Rielly develop.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  #50
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Don't bother.

Most Leaf fans here:

Step 1: WHL.ca

Step 2: Check if Moose Jaw is playing tonight.

Step 3: Go to the website after the game and see how many points he had.

0-1 points, or minus player: Rielly was terrible tonight. 1+ points or plus player: Rielly was fantastic!

Leaf fans are far more attached to numbers. Rielly better be PPG or Nonis better trade him quickly, because he's not going to be much better than MAB. His trade value drops every time he doesn't put up points.

Exactly what Stephen is doing.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.