HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Does Rielly have the Potential to be the Leafs Karlsson?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
omnicronx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
I like Reilly and that would be nice but i doubt it. It will be such a long time before we see him, the leafs like to keep their prospects in ahl for 500 years and either ruin or almost ruin there confidence. They almost wrecked Kadri, almost wrecked frattin as well. Kadri was reaady to play in the nhl at least 2 years ago, ron wilson just didnt like rookies.
What the hell are you talking about.. The leafs have had the exact opposite approach for as long as I can remember.

I have no doubt playing down with the marlies with Eakins help turn Kadri into the player he is today... and as for Schenn, he was ruined for being brought up too early..

Finally they are starting to do the right thing.. developing prospects like every other team in the NHL that has had longstanding success and morons like yourself call it a bad thing.

omnicronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
I like Reilly and that would be nice but i doubt it. It will be such a long time before we see him, the leafs like to keep their prospects in ahl for 500 years and either ruin or almost ruin there confidence. They almost wrecked Kadri, almost wrecked frattin as well. Kadri was reaady to play in the nhl at least 2 years ago, ron wilson just didnt like rookies.
Dallas Eakins is one of the best coaches in the AHL. Kadri was a great player when he was drafted and might have been ready offensively but his defensive game needed work.

Kadri has credited Dallas Eakins for helping him get better defensively. Ron Wilson was just a terrible coach that bounced Kadri like a yo-yo...he was brought up for a small stint, sent down and then criticized for not being good defensively, called a dangler etc.

If you see Kadri now, he NEVER dangles when his linemates are there. The only time Kadri dangles/dekes is when his linemates are gone for a change and he doesn't just want to dump the puck in, he takes chances 1 on 1 instead of 1 on 3/5 like before.

Rielly won't see much AHL time IMO. He's likely going to make the Leafs next year after he joins the Marlies on their playoff run this year.

People forget that he was one of the last cuts this year despite no prospects tournament or preseason games. He'll be in the NHL next year IMO.

This is the same coach that had Cam Fowler in as an 18 year old..and Rielly has a lot more talent that Fowler IMO.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
will13

I have to say that rielly has been my most favourite leafs prospect in a very long time. I've been watching him play ever since he played for the Notre dame hounds in Saskatchewan and now with moosejaw. I've said it back then and I'll say it again, I think that he's going to be a star in the NHL. If he'll ever be as good as karlsson, its up to him. Leaf fans will just have to be patient.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
ITM

It may have been posed earlier in the thread but perhaps the question to ask is:

Comparing Karlsson and Reilly at the same age, would it be reasonable to believe that Reilly is capable of following Karlsson's arc?

I think you'd have to say that it is reasonable.

Characteristics are hard to ignore. I remember hearing about Karlsson's offensive abilities during his draft year and seeing some of the footage...But it wasn't anything like what Reilly has demonstrated, and certainly not nearly as mythical given Reilly's resolve to join his junior team from severe injury.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not placing any limit on this kid's ceiling.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
jimmycarter

not as much offensive upside, more defensive upside thought. he won't be considered as elite elite, but i think he will be more well-rounded.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
It may have been posed earlier in the thread but perhaps the question to ask is:

Comparing Karlsson and Reilly at the same age, would it be reasonable to believe that Reilly is capable of following Karlsson's arc?

I think you'd have to say that it is reasonable.

Characteristics are hard to ignore. I remember hearing about Karlsson's offensive abilities during his draft year and seeing some of the footage...But it wasn't anything like what Reilly has demonstrated, and certainly not nearly as mythical given Reilly's resolve to join his junior team from severe injury.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not placing any limit on this kid's ceiling.
I would say that it's entirely unreasonable, because guys like Karlsson's development arc simply took a quantum leap at some point. It's like suggesting that Nail Yakupov is "likely" to develop like Steven Stamkos because he entered the league at 18 and fared reasonably well. These are simply exceptional cases and to project that is insane.

Rielly's my favorite Leaf prospect by far, but I was definitely expecting a Brayden Schenn-in-2009-10 type post-draft season where he really took a leap in the eyes of the scouting world.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:39 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I would say that it's entirely unreasonable, because guys like Karlsson's development arc simply took a quantum leap at some point. It's like suggesting that Nail Yakupov is "likely" to develop like Steven Stamkos because he entered the league at 18 and fared reasonably well. These are simply exceptional cases and to project that is insane.

Rielly's my favorite Leaf prospect by far, but I was definitely expecting a Brayden Schenn-in-2009-10 type post-draft season where he really took a leap in the eyes of the scouting world.
But the context is potential. And we're evaluating based on comparison, which would have to include ability and projection at Reilly's age.

It's not hyperbole to say Reilly was the offensive exception in his draft class, wouldn't you agree? And the he is by all accounts a dynamic offensive defenceman? Most Leafs fans have essentially characterized Reilly as a generational talent and certainly a generational draft pick. Could go down the list and each answer will affirm that it's reasonable to say, Morgan Reilly possesses a number of congruent characteristics to Karlsson's set...Certainly at the same age.

Compare Stamkos with Zetterberg and Datsyuk...Talk about lightning striking twice. I think Karlsson is exceptional but that's not to say Reilly couldn't approach it.

Finn would be a stretch in this instance, but Reilly?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Sproo

Setting expectations a bit high, maybe?

Welcome to Toronto, Morgan!

Sproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:49 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
So people think his modestly good MJ performance equates to Norris calibre NHL success? To have justified that first overall quality hype by Burke he needed to have shone a lot brighter, IMO.
sigh... I wish you would read the post before pulling out assumptions out of your ass. The original post was a question not a statement.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:53 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproo View Post

Just not willing to limit them.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
you don't? if you're going to be a star, impact nhler, like erik karlsson, shouldn't you be dominating in junior hockey?

his number are spectacular? 38 points in 42 games isn't spectacular in junior hockey.

has anyone actually argued that he's not better than last year? i assume he's much better than he was last year. almost all junior players make big improvements from age 17 to 18. i assume rielly isn't no different.
It kinda is, especially since he's on one of the worst teams in the League. Their is only one defense man in the WHL to be at a ppg. and that is Brenden Kichton playing in his 5th season.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
It's not hyperbole to say Reilly was the offensive exception in his draft class, wouldn't you agree? And the he is by all accounts a dynamic offensive defenceman? Most Leafs fans have essentially characterized Reilly as a generational talent and certainly a generational draft pick. Could go down the list and each answer will affirm that it's reasonable to say, Morgan Reilly possesses a number of congruent characteristics to Karlsson's set...Certainly at the same age.

Compare Stamkos with Zetterberg and Datsyuk...Talk about lightning striking twice. I think Karlsson is exceptional but that's not to say Reilly couldn't approach it.

Finn would be a stretch in this instance, but Reilly?
No, Karlsson wasn't the exception in his draft class, he is the exception out of many combined draft classes. You simply don't get too many near PPG scoring defensemen under 23 ever coming into the league and winning a Norris Trophy.

Among his contemporaries like Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Gardiner, Schultz, Del Zotto, Hamonic, Schenn, Alzner, Hedman, E. Johnson, Ekman-Larsson, Leddy, Rundblad, Shattenkirk, Moore, Carlson, Fowler, Gormley, Hamilton, etc. he's the one who jumped out and accomplished what he did.

Stamkos has nothing to do with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

In summary, Rielly panning out as an Erik Karlsson is extremely unlikely.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
sigh... I wish you would read the post before pulling out assumptions out of your ass. The original post was a question not a statement.
Well, you had to change your post, but considering that Burke called him their projected first overall, most talented player in the draft, comparisons to Erik Karlsson, I say no. He's been overhyped compared to what he has delivered this season.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
No, Karlsson wasn't the exception in his draft class, he is the exception out of many combined draft classes. You simply don't get too many near PPG scoring defensemen under 23 ever coming into the league and winning a Norris Trophy.

Among his contemporaries like Subban, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Gardiner, Schultz, Del Zotto, Hamonic, Schenn, Alzner, Hedman, E. Johnson, Ekman-Larsson, Leddy, Rundblad, Shattenkirk, Moore, Carlson, Fowler, Gormley, Hamilton, etc. he's the one who jumped out and accomplished what he did.

Stamkos has nothing to do with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

In summary, Rielly panning out as an Erik Karlsson is extremely unlikely.
Just curious, but what were your views on Kadri like in the past couple years before this season?

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Don't think he'll ever be good as Karlsson, but I'm happy we have a guy that can match up with the Karlsson/Hamilton/Myers/Subban of our division.

kamosko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Definition of talking out of one's ass right here. What do you really know about Kadri or Frattin's confidence levels? For all you know, playing top line minutes in the AHL could have boosted their confidence.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
He reminds me more of a Duncan Keith/Brian Leetch type of defenseman than an Erik Karlsson/Paul Coffey.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
He reminds me more of a Duncan Keith/Brian Leetch type of defenseman than an Erik Karlsson/Paul Coffey.
I like the Duncan Keith comparison. I see the same with Rielly.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

i love morgan rielly, i dont want to limit this kid and i think the sky is the limit for him. he could become a PPG defender playing #1 PP QB and i see him doing just that. This kid is a stud, do i think he will be the karlsson for the leafs? yes do i see him winning the norris? i hope so but i dont want to put to much pressure on him, but i do believe that the leafs scouting staff wanted rielly the most in the draft class, character is something our staff is looking for now.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Is anyone looking forward to this headline on NHL.com? " Rielly good "

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:26 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Karlsson is more about hands. Reilly more about skating.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

I highly doubt it. Karlsson's on a whole other level. If Rielly can maintain a 50 point pace per year, I'd be more than satisfied. 80 points is too high of an expectation for a player yet to step on NHL ice, not to mention a defenseman.

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Just curious, but what were your views on Kadri like in the past couple years before this season?
Top two center man with the potential to be a key piece to a rebuild but annoyed that he didn't seem to. getting rope to run with.

Wait a minute, how is Rielly not likely to be Erik Karlsson some kind of failure?

Old
02-08-2013, 07:19 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproo View Post

Isn't it more like Toronto to have to put down our prospects so not to seem like we're hyping them? I say there is nothing wrong with having hopes that someone can play great. May not happen, but nice to just have hopes for guys like any fanbase would have for talented players they draft.

As to the question I don't know how good Rielly will turn out to be. But I sure as heck hope he can become an outstanding NHL defenseman.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Top two center man with the potential to be a key piece to a rebuild but annoyed that he didn't seem to. getting rope to run with.

Wait a minute, how is Rielly not likely to be Erik Karlsson some kind of failure?
Hopefully you weren't asking me that question because I don't know how you got that out of my question.

I'm not saying Rielly will be like Karlsson, but sometimes you find hidden gems in late rounds like Jamie Benn, some times you find stars in the later first rounds and early second rounds like Karlsson or Chara and sometimes you find stars exactly where you expect to find them like Carey Price.

Hockey players are all different. Rielly has the talent and judging from the way he worked hard to get back from his injury, he has the work ethic. If that will translate to the NHL is anybody's guess? But for now, like any other player entering the league, the potential is limitless and that's the only thing we can say with absolute certainty.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote