HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Devils poised to take over Atlantic?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 12:35 PM
NjDevsRR

vCash: 500
I don't understand why people complain about an OPPOSING team being boring. When I am watching the Devils I couldn't care less if the other team is exciting or boring I worry about my own team. If you have to mention a team that you just lost to is boring then your team must have really sucked that night or you have lost sight of what is important...your own damn team. It's one of the dumbest things I read on these boards on a daily basis.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 02-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
I don't understand why people complain about an OPPOSING team being boring. When I am watching the Devils I couldn't care less if the other team is exciting or boring I worry about my own team. If you have to mention a team that you just lost to is boring then your team must have really sucked that night. It's one of the dumbest things I read on these boards on a daily basis.
Earlier this year my team (Oilers) beat the Coyotes. The Oilers won. I found the Coyote system very boring. Stay back and wait for mistakes is basically their key to success. I realize you'll just say "well, your team should adapt to that." There is only so much a team can do to "break" that system.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Earlier this year my team (Oilers) beat the Coyotes. The Oilers won. I found the Coyote system very boring. Stay back and wait for mistakes is basically their key to success. I realize you'll just say "well, your team should adapt to that." There is only so much a team can do to "break" that system.
So the Oilers had problems breaking through the defensively sound Coyotes so it makes the Coyotes boring because they play good defense? Sounds like the Oilers were boring that night because they had problems generating offense.

Thats exactly my problem, people call other teams boring because its hard to play against them because your own team isnt generating anything. My Devils were exciting to watch yesterday, great fore check, great defense, and we stifled the Pens all night long. Just because the Penguins stunk this weekend makes us boring. Its a terrible cop out.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

How in the world do the Devils still play the trap? I'd love to watch a game with those people that claim they do, and for you to point out when the Devils are executing the trap. Because unless you are making it up, or just don't even know what the trap entails, then you wont be seeing the trap often, if at all.

Some things will never change, but it's getting really annoying. People hear "New Jersey Devils" and automatically think they trap. Watch a game, and unless you are hellbent on thinking the Devils still trap, then you're opinion will change.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post

The Devils don't stay back, they will try to fore-check a team into blatant mistakes. If they have a 2 goal lead in the third, sure, they may play a more conservative style and there is nothing wrong with that. Most teams would play that way. And good defense wins championships.

Old
02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
NjDevsRR

How can opposing fans call a team they played like crap against boring. Your team should be called boring that night because they were stifled and couldn't generate anything. Its such a stupid statement to make. Devils were playing their game and it was exciting for every Devils fan. The Penguins couldnt do anything but their fans call us boring that night? Give me a break, such a terrible statement to make.

The correct statement is, YOUR team was boring that night because the opposition shut you down and you couldnt generate anything offensively.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 02-11-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
How can opposing fans call a team they played like crap against boring. Your team should be called boring that night because they were stifled and couldn't generate anything. Its such a stupid statement to make. Devils were playing their game and it was exciting for every Devils fan. The Penguins couldnt do anything but their fans call us boring that night? Give me a break, such a terrible statement to make.
You beat us two times and your a better team then us right now but I do find devil games to be very boring I have CI i watch alot of hockey games hardly ever watch a devil game. If you guys find devil games to be entertaining that good for you and your fans but alot of pens dont feel that way.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

Team losses because of undisciplined penalties = Refs fault, i.e., Pen's fans on Saturday after the game
Team losses because they were outplayed = Trap's fault, i.e., Pen's fans yesterday

Old
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
You beat us two times and your a better team then us right now but I do find devil games to be very boring I have CI i watch alot of hockey games hardly ever watch a devil game. If you guys find devil games to be entertaining that good for you and your fans but alot of pens dont feel that way.
I bet you $100 you didn't find it boring when the Pen's beat the Devils 5-1 last week. it''s only boring when your team sucks and losses to us

Old
02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
I bet you $100 you didn't find it boring when the Pen's beat the Devils 5-1 last week. it''s only boring when your team sucks and losses to us
Why do u care what other fan bases think of the style of your team? When we lose to the flyers islanders you never hear any of us complain about it being a boring game.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
MountainGoat
McDavid/Eichel

Quote:
Why do u care what other fan bases think of the style of your team? When we lose to the flyers islanders you never hear any of us complain about it being a boring game.
nothing to do with the style, point is people ***** and complain just to ***** and complain

Old
02-11-2013, 01:24 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Jesus get over it people.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
nothing to do with the style, point is people ***** and complain just to ***** and complain
And you're complaining about other people complaining. Irony.

What's funnier is that my original post was actually intended to give the Devils organization just praise for being able to achieve results over the years. Didn't think that was going to cause such an uproar amongst the NJD faithful.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:28 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
No, you complain about how gooney they are because they had a track record for being goons. Same logic/premise.

I've never seen a group of people so hell bent on blaming external factors for their team getting dominated in my life.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Why do you guys care when other fan bases call Crosby a crybaby? And lol at you finding the Isles more exciting to watch than the Devils. Really?

By the way, the last two games between, its been the losing team that has been the boring team to watch.

02-11-2013, 01:30 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Why do you guys care when other fan bases call Crosby a crybaby? And lol at you finding the Isles more exciting to watch than the Devils. Really?

By the way, the last two games between, its been the losing team that has been the boring team to watch.
We don't. That went out of fashion in 2011.

And really, who are some of you to really criticize which teams people find more "exciting"? Different strokes for different folks. Accept it.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
SlapshotTheMovie

They came in with a lot less rust then other teams. their record will start to even out close to league average but they will still have an advantage from such a great start to the season. Shortened season is dangerous.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
No, you complain about how gooney they are because they had a track record for being goons. Same logic/premise.

I've never seen a group of people so hell bent on blaming external factors for their team getting dominated in my life.
Odd. Usually it's our opposition blaming said "external factors" for losses to us. At least its been that way since ohhhhhhhh 2005 perhaps?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Pens will sweep them this weekend and everyone in NJ will go into panic mode, even though they shouldn't.
The prophet has spoken

Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
I don't understand why people complain about an OPPOSING team being boring. When I am watching the Devils I couldn't care less if the other team is exciting or boring I worry about my own team. If you have to mention a team that you just lost to is boring then your team must have really sucked that night or you have lost sight of what is important...your own damn team. It's one of the dumbest things I read on these boards on a daily basis.
I can see how some people could find other teams boring when the opposing team plays a completely different style than what they're used to. Chicago plays a very fast paced transition game that relies on getting a lot of chances off the rush. So naturally fans like me are used to seeing quicker paced action and a lot of scoring chances. When your team plays a team that's built to smother that pace then naturally it's going to seem a lot slower and boring. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to complain about being subjected to a deliberately slower game than they're used to.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
I can see how some people could find other teams boring when the opposing team plays a completely different style than what they're used to. Chicago plays a very fast paced transition game that relies on getting a lot of chances off the rush. So naturally fans like me are used to seeing quicker paced action and a lot of scoring chances. When your team plays a team that's built to smother that pace then naturally it's going to seem a lot slower and boring. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to complain about being subjected to a deliberately slower game than they're used to.
Apparently for some it's reason enough to cause an uproar.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
That's because the media hasn't provided you with an easy excuse for losing to the Flyers or Islanders. Blaming the Devils trap is easy or boring play and makes you feel better about losing.

Face it, if the Devils wore Flyers jerseys last night, you wouldn't even be in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
And you're complaining about other people complaining. Irony.

What's funnier is that my original post was actually intended to give the Devils organization just praise for being able to achieve results over the years. Didn't think that was going to cause such an uproar amongst the NJD faithful.
Penguins fans don't get mad when people constantly throw out the 'tank' word? Because its a similar thing (although one is more deserved than the other even if its not actively happening). It's annoying when other fans and the media constantly try to discredit your team's success and even more annoying when their criticism isn't even accurate.

For some reason, only when the Devils win are they boring or playing the trap. Yet.. when they lose, neither of those two complaints exist. So you're telling me the Devils choose when to be boring so they can win games? Or is it more likely that you find Devils games boring when your team is on the losing end and you need a quick excuse so you can shift the blame to another party?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
That's because the media hasn't provided you with an easy excuse for losing to the Flyers or Islanders. Blaming the Devils trap is easy or boring play and makes you feel better about losing.

Face it, if the Devils wore Flyers jerseys last night, you wouldn't even be in this thread.

Penguins fans don't get mad when people constantly throw out the 'tank' word? Because its a similar thing (although one is more deserved than the other even if its not actively happening). It's annoying when other fans and the media constantly try to discredit your team's success and even more annoying when their criticism isn't even accurate.

For some reason, only when the Devils win are they boring or playing the trap. Yet.. when they lose, neither of those two complaints exist. So you're telling me the Devils choose when to be boring so they can win games? Or is it more likely that you find Devils games boring when your team is on the losing end and you need a quick excuse so you can shift the blame to another party?
Interesting. Please explain.

As for your second paragraph: Maybe...just MAYBE people just flat out don't enjoying the brand of hockey your team plays. It happens. Why get all bent out of shape about it? You're still at the top of the conference and having a hell of a season. Isn't that enough?

And in all honesty nothing really makes me feel "better" about losing. Especially not to a division rival. If it was the Flyers, Rags, or Isles we wouldn't be feeling any better about it either.

Old
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
We don't. That went out of fashion in 2011.

And really, who are some of you to really criticize which teams people find more "exciting"? Different strokes for different folks. Accept it.
And really, who are some of you to label teams "exciting" and "boring"? Different strokes for different folks. Accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
Don't get me wrong, I agree with that.. but it'd take an idiot to watch a Devils game and come away with the idea that they are trapping. They play a system that stresses an aggressive forecheck, not sitting back in the neutral zone. It can be boring getting stuck in your own zone for a few shifts in a row.. i guess?

Old
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Interesting. Please explain.
Were you alive in 1983? Pretty obvious and well established..

Closed Thread