HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Devils poised to take over Atlantic?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
FlyersMania2

vCash: 500
Maybe they win the cup this year? The last time there was a 48 game season, they won it.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I agree completely.

Pens are the underdogs.
Always are within their own division.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Kirk Mclean
The best there is...

I can't imagine NJ finishing with a better record than Pittsburgh, although I see both teams as locks for the playoffs. I think NJ ends up as the 4th or 5th seed in an extremely tight eastern conference playoff picture.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige14 View Post
Death, taxes, and the New Jersey Devils.

Pens have been playing great though, this will be a tough home and home.
You left out Detroit , The trees start budding and Detroit is in the playoffs. It's a writ of passage to spring. In all honestly as a Wings fan The Devils is a team I can totally respect because of the mirror image or parallel lines that can be drawn between the two teams,year in year out.

Predicting a split unless the Devils can rough up Malkin and Fleury and rattle the both. Marty won't go both games will he?

Old
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
You left out Detroit , The trees start budding and Detroit is in the playoffs. It's a writ of passage to spring. In all honestly as a Wings fan The Devils is a team I can totally respect because of the mirror image or parallel lines that can be drawn between the two teams,year in year out.

Predicting a split unless the Devils can rough up Malkin and Fleury and rattle the both. Marty won't go both games will he?
Not official but Deboer said Moose/Marty will split back to backs

Old
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Along with Babcock, the Devils have the league's best coach, imo. I've loved DeBoer's work since he came into the league. Even his Florida teams competed, though, as he said when he was dismissed, it didn't matter because he "didn't have the horses."

Old
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Devils also have a top-4 minute eater sitting in the press box which they can use to upgrade upfront. It'll be hard for 4 teams from the division to make the playoffs but the Devils look better then the Rangers and Flyers right now. Could always change though.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Robert Theodorson

Tomorrow's game against the Pens will see how good the Devs really are.

Pittsburgh is the only team that's really shown them up good, a win tomorrow would be incredibly encouraging for the immediate future.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesJawLine View Post
We're for real but i'm not expecting much against the Penguins, we've never matched up well with them. Probably the only Atlantic division team we've consistently struggled against
I don't think your statement is corrected. We went 6-0 vs the pens a few years ago.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
JimEIV

I understand it's a shortened season .....but anyone looking for answers to questions after 11 games ... well, that's just nutty.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:13 PM
hlaverty06

Well were gonna draft Mackinnon and replace Parise's scoring anyway

Am I doing it right ?

Old
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Well were gonna draft Mackinnon and replace Parise's scoring anyway

Am I doing it right ?
That is the Red Wings plan!

Old
02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Got rid of Parise, Brodeur got another year older, and yet they are still 6-1-3. Pretty impressive
Take away that extra point for those three losses and it looks much worse. In terms of pure wins and losses they're 6-4 according to what you posted.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
I understand it's a shortened season .....but anyone looking for answers to questions after 11 games ... well, that's just nutty.
But if we lose the next 2 games, we're a terribad team

Old
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
Devils also have a top-4 minute eater sitting in the press box which they can use to upgrade upfront. It'll be hard for 4 teams from the division to make the playoffs but the Devils look better then the Rangers and Flyers right now. Could always change though.
If it weren't for their atrocious start the Rags and Flyers would obviously be in it. As is I can't see them doing it in a shortened season. Between the Devs and Pens and I'm leaning towards the Devs. Brodeur is more stable then Fleury and they're more balanced all around. Pens are top heavy between Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Neal.

Islanders are a bit of a wildcard.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
If it weren't for their atrocious start the Rags and Flyers would obviously be in it. As is I can't see them doing it in a shortened season. Between the Devs and Pens and I'm leaning towards the Devs. Brodeur is more stable then Fleury and they're more balanced all around. Pens are top heavy between Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Neal.

Islanders are a bit of a wildcard.
Honestly, it's a roll of dice imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Stevens 4

Quote:
Take away that extra point for those three losses and it looks much worse. In terms of pure wins and losses they're 6-4 according to what you posted.
What.....

If you did that for the whole conference they would hardly drop in the standings. Not that it even matters since points are points.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
kiwidevil

This is going to be a classic hf boards conclusion jump depending on these two games.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

gonna be hell trying to get out of NJ tommorrow with the big storm.

sunday's game may reflect that

Old
02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige14 View Post
What.....

If you did that for the whole conference they would hardly drop in the standings. Not that it even matters since points are points.
I didn't say anything about standings. Just saying that a 6-4 record isn't too impressive. Not bad certainly but nothing to go around boasting about either.

As far as standings go it doesn't matter where the points come from but you can also draw from that record that they're 3 points worse then some would think (which is a fifth of their points). Depends on how you value that "loser" point. Worth noting that there's usually some team or teams that end up with inflated standings due to a large collection of the extra point. Sometimes it's the only reason a team makes the playoffs. IIRC Ottawa and/or Florida were that team last season.

A fifth of the Devs total points are due to what most call the loser point. Can't tell me that doesn't inflate their record a bit.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Garbage Goal

For what it's worth, to enforce what I said, there's no other team in the East with three or more loser points. No team in the division besides NJ has more then one. Only two teams league wide have that many loser points.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
For what it's worth, to enforce what I said, there's no other team in the East with three or more loser points. No team in the division besides NJ has more then one. Only two teams league wide have that many loser points.
I think this reflects our inability to win in OT than anything else haha...

3 OT losses also means we were 3 goals away from being 9-1. End of the day, we lost.. but we did play those games close enough that one single play would've made a difference.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I think this reflects our inability to win in OT than anything else haha...

3 OT losses also means we were 3 goals away from being 9-1. End of the day, we lost.. but we did play those games close enough that one single play would've made a difference.
Good point but you can also say they were one goal away from missing OT and being three points down. All I'm saying is the records a little inflated and therefore not as impressive as the standings suggest. They're a good team. They don't blow me away though.

It's also worth noting that if they're a bad OT team that would be troublesome in the playoffs where there's continuous OT.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Good point but you can also say they were one goal away from missing OT and being three points down. All I'm saying is the records a little inflated and therefore not as impressive as the standings suggest. They're a good team. They don't blow me away though.

It's also worth noting that if they're a bad OT team that would be troublesome in the playoffs where there's continuous OT.
We said that last year for the Devils and well.. they were great in OT during the playoffs. 4 on 4 for 5 minutes =/= 5 on 5 for a period.

I think the only way to really analyze the 'loser point' and its effect is to look at the standings if teams just received 1 point at the end of regulation if the game was tied. Obviously take away the shootout point as well as the extra point for winning OT.

That's just my feeling though. To me, a game in OT is as tight as a game could get. It's different from someone scoring with 10 seconds to go in regulation.. these two teams couldn't end it in regulation. In OT, one individual play can win or lose the game. Obviously, good teams will win more OTs than they will lose but still, their record in overtime will be closer to .500 than their overall record IMO.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Stevens 4

The Stanley Cup Champions had the second most "loser" points with 15 last season.

Closed Thread