HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Devils poised to take over Atlantic?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
NjDevsRR

vCash: 500
Whoa, trying too hard. I stopped reading two sentences in.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 02-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Whoa, trying to hard. I stopped reading two sentences in.
Mmm Hmm.

If you believe you just made yourself look intelligent, rather then some punk teenager with a need for instant gratification...then more power to you.

I'd suggest picking up things with actual letters, words, and grammar, and focus on becoming more intelligent.

As for anyone else, read it if you want. Don't read it. No skin off my back. Doesn't change what is.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
The Green Unit

Ignorant ? Going to OT means the game is tied after 3 periods. They maybe lost those 3 games in OT but the point here is to understand they hardly throw a game away. To remain a competitive team on constant basis is more difficult that you make it out to be.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The Rangers won 3 Stanley Cups in a 12 year span. And went to 3 other Cup Finals. That's 6 Stanley Cup Finals appearances in 12 years.

The Devils won 3 Stanley Cups in a 9 year span. Sound familiar?

But I would be VERY careful how cocky you act right now. Because if the Devils ever went into a funk, as long as other teams with richer histories then the Devils have, such as the Rangers, Leafs, Bruins, Black Hawks, and Montreal Canadiens, I would not bet my mortgage that they will still be in New Jersey.

Let's see how you act when you've learned some humility. Even the Islanders won 4 consecutive Cups. The Oilers won 5 Cups in 7 years.
We're the cocky ones? Your entire post reeks of implied superiority. You act like you are more knowledgeable and are instructing us Devil fans how to act like a proper hockey fan? And who are you to set such behavior? Seriously, read your post and then ask if that's someone who should be preaching humility.

Rangers beat out 10, 9 and 7 teams for their 3 Stanley Cups in 11 years. A grand total of 26 teams. Devils beat out 26, 28 and 30 teams for their 3 Stanley Cups in 9 years. Not really that comparable given the decrease in chances from an average of 11.5% to .04%.

And what is this, a veiled, "you don't have fans, you're franchise is doomed" threat? Seriously?

Finally, I love how you spin the records to indicate the Rangers should be right up there with the Devils. I think they have a great team but the Devils, as their record clearly indicates, are off to a better start. Why are OT losses irrelevant but a shootout win is okay again? This thread was also made last week as the Devils went into a home and home with the Penguins and both teams were hot, so quit complaining that the thread title was actually pretty accurate in what happened.

Seriously, our fan bases have more in common than most would like to admit.. including you preaching humility ironically.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Ignorant ? Going to OT means the game is tied after 3 periods. They maybe lost those 3 games in OT but the point here is to understand they hardly throw a game away. To remain a competitive team on constant basis is more difficult that you make it out to be.
Please... if the Rangers wanted to, they could lose in OT every game instead of regulation. They just don't think that's fair, obviously, since it distorts which teams are more competitive.

Thank you NYR!

Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Bardof425*

The Devils have started very well and deserve to be in first place. However, they made very few changes outside of losing Zach. The Rangers who started slow are now starting to find it with all their changes. By Mid-March this division will belong to the Broadway Blueshirts.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The Devils have started very well and deserve to be in first place. However, they made very few changes outside of losing Zach. The Rangers who started slow are now starting to find it with all their changes. By Mid-March this division will belong to the Broadway Blueshirts.
Maybe.. it'll definitely be tight. Pittsburgh still my pick though.

And no reason to make many drastic changes when you return all but two roster players on a team that went to the SCF

System works and we have the players to play it

Old
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
We're the cocky ones? Your entire post reeks of implied superiority. You act like you are more knowledgeable and are instructing us Devil fans how to act like a proper hockey fan? And who are you to set such behavior? Seriously, read your post and then ask if that's someone who should be preaching humility.

Rangers beat out 10, 9 and 7 teams for their 3 Stanley Cups in 11 years. A grand total of 26 teams. Devils beat out 26, 28 and 30 teams for their 3 Stanley Cups in 9 years. Not really that comparable given the decrease in chances from an average of 11.5% to .04%.

And what is this, a veiled, "you don't have fans, you're franchise is doomed" threat? Seriously?

Finally, I love how you spin the records to indicate the Rangers should be right up there with the Devils. I think they have a great team but the Devils, as their record clearly indicates, are off to a better start. Why are OT losses irrelevant but a shootout win is okay again? This thread was also made last week as the Devils went into a home and home with the Penguins and both teams were hot, so quit complaining that the thread title was actually pretty accurate in what happened.

Seriously, our fan bases have more in common than most would like to admit.. including you preaching humility ironically.
True, but as every real hockey fan knows the Habs and the Leafs had the inside track on every stud Canadian player. The deck was stacked against everyone else.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
True, but as every real hockey fan knows the Habs and the Leafs had the inside track on every stud Canadian player. The deck was stacked against everyone else.
I don't think the NHL just let the Rangers walk into the Cup finals and win it, of course. Was just contesting the fact that their cups were as hard as it is to win one currently given the drastic change in number of teams.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Maybe.. it'll definitely be tight. Pittsburgh still my pick though.

And no reason to make many drastic changes when you return all but two roster players on a team that went to the SCF

System works and we have the players to play it
I'm not suggesting the Devils should have made changes. But I am saying that their fast start (as with the Bruins) in this particular year without training camp is partially due to continuity. As the year moves along those teams that made changes will start to play at their max potential. And at that point, IMO the Rangers are the team to beat. The Pens are shaky on the back end and in the net.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Nope. Not the tone of the post at all.

But again, I wouldn't expect a different response from a rival team's fans.

The tone of the post was to show the parallels in the teams successful stretches.

Have you read this entire thread? Some posters here are giving the Devils the aura of a cocky fan base.

The last part of the post, was to warn them that acting cocky could come back and bite them in the ass.

And was in response to the "One cup since WWII" comment. If you failed to recognize it.

Again, take it as you want.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
tycobb

Rangers are so overrated. They got a great goalie and a great 1st line. I would bet they aren't even close to first in the division.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
And during World War II, the US had FAR more players leave for the war then Canadians did.

Yes, the Canadians fought and died with US soldiers and British soldiers. But the US lost a lot of athletes to the war.

Look no further then the Lynn family.

Old
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
I'm not suggesting the Devils should have made changes. But I am saying that their fast start (as with the Bruins) in this particular year without training camp is partially due to continuity. As the year moves along those teams that made changes will start to play at their max potential. And at that point, IMO the Rangers are the team to beat. The Pens are shaky on the back end and in the net.
We'll see. I don't think a team with a healthy Crosby and Malkin will lose very many games in the regular season though. Playoffs are a different story though.

Still not buying the Rangers depth on offense or defense. Nash was a huge addition but they still don't have much secondary scoring (though Hagelin has been hot the last few games) or a decent third pairing. Also may be good enough for the regular season but I see them where they were in the playoffs last year. Every series will be a long grind that the Rangers will be favored in.. just a matter of how many 7 game series can the Rangers endure before tiring up.

Devils problem in the playoffs will be scoring as well so will depend on how well Kovy and co. are playing going in.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Mmm Hmm.

If you believe you just made yourself look intelligent, rather then some punk teenager with a need for instant gratification...then more power to you.

I'd suggest picking up things with actual letters, words, and grammar, and focus on becoming more intelligent.

As for anyone else, read it if you want. Don't read it. No skin off my back. Doesn't change what is.
Now look who is the one looking for gratification. Tough guy.

Just read it. Very interesting but comparing different eras of hockey is pretty useless when you are finding connections between two franchises.

But apparently you know all, now who is the arrogant one?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Nope. Not the tone of the post at all.

But again, I wouldn't expect a different response from a rival team's fans.

The tone of the post was to show the parallels in the teams successful stretches.

Have you read this entire thread? Some posters here are giving the Devils the aura of a cocky fan base.

The last part of the post, was to warn them that acting cocky could come back and bite them in the ass.

And was in response to the "One cup since WWII" comment. If you failed to recognize it.

Again, take it as you want.
Cocky fan base? Have you read the thread?

This entire thread was made by a non-Devils fan about the Devils and was turned into a pissing match over:

1) The Devils are boring
2) The Devils play the trap
3) Newark is dangerous

and now: 4) The Rangers

Hell, this entire thread is basically off-topic and comprises of Devils fan defending their team from ridiculous attacks.

Thank you for your warning, but who are you to tell anyone else how they should act, again? You're still acting like you know better than everyone else here..

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Pissing match in here wow... So after one. ONE game where New Jersey had a "bad" game yet managed to keep in it till the last second everyone comes out to play. Man, if that's the case always come out to play not just in the easy times. That being said I still think NJ can easily win the division and conference if they keep playing like they have been. They are a good team. Their guys are very team oriented and it makes them stronger. Their 2 way game is pretty superb too.

That's not to say that no one else stands a chance; The Bruins, Rangers and Penguins are the other three that can make a case for themselves as well. Early records don't mean everything, but in a short season that might hurt a lot for some teams. As for wins, a win is a win. Every team gets the win, I bet they'll take wins any way they can, a close game, a blowout game, shootout, OT... etc. So yeah.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Now look who is the one looking for gratification. Tough guy.

Just read it. Very interesting but comparing different eras of hockey is pretty useless just to make comparisons.
I didn't say I'm tough.

It's not useless comparing eras. At all. Championships are fetching, no matter the length of the season or the amount of teams in the league. There are always variables working for and against everyone in every era.

It's like calling the 95 Cup meaningless. Which it is anything but.

There are more teams in this era, there is also far less talent to go around, and some teams are awful.

Take for example, when the Rangers won their Cups in the 20's, 30's, and 40's, there were power house teams in the league. The Maroons were the class of hockey for a long time. The Rangers, a team of what was then, no bodies, beat the Maroons.

There were many other variables. Poaching rights, no home ice in the playoffs for the Rangers because of the circus, wars...

A bounce here and a bounce there, and the Rangers have banners for 37 and 50 in the rafters as well. Would they be a joke with 6 banners? they shouldn't be with 4.

There are plenty of Rangers fans who give the Devils organization nothing but credit, despite my disdain for them.

I don't see any respect for the Rangers longevity and history from Devils fans.

A hockey team, in New York, very far south of the hockey hot beds in the US (New England and Michigan/Minnesota). Survived three major wars, depressions, player poaching by Canadian teams, league contractions and expansions...spans of ineptitude...and here we are still strong.

The Devils have to deal with a monster of a media market to their east and west (New York and Philadelphia).

I believe both organizations deserve respect.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Cocky fan base? Have you read the thread?

This entire thread was made by a non-Devils fan about the Devils and was turned into a pissing match over:

1) The Devils are boring
2) The Devils play the trap
3) Newark is dangerous

and now: 4) The Rangers

Hell, this entire thread is basically off-topic and comprises of Devils fan defending their team from ridiculous attacks.

Thank you for your warning, but who are you to tell anyone else how they should act, again? You're still acting like you know better than everyone else here..
Well, considering I didn't attack them once. Rather drew parallels of the two...

Yeah, don't act cocky. Your success won't always be there. It's a fact of life.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
There are plenty of Rangers fans who give the Devils organization nothing but credit, despite my disdain for them.

I don't see any respect for the Rangers longevity and history from Devils fans.

I believe both organizations deserve respect.
Oh please, I'm sure there are just as many Devils fans who respect the Rangers success as vice versa. Go take a look on your boards on any given night that the Devils are playing and you'll see that disdain. Just like you'll see the same disdain on the Devils board when the Rangers are playing. It's part of a rivalry.

I've talked to a few (and I'm going to qualify that number instead of just generalizing to the entire fan base) Rangers fans here through PMs and the responses vary. Some, most of the younger ones who grew up with Devils fans, do respect the Devils. The older ones? The ones I've spoken to (again, limited number, not making any general claims here) have gone as far as saying that Devils fans are a different kind of person. When asked about that, one guy claimed that when you start rooting for the Devils, you LITERALLY become an inferior human being.

So understand that there are idiots in every fan base that you can't just generalize into how the entire fanbase feels.

I respect any organization that tries to be competitive (i.e. not the Islanders) but that doesn't mean I have to run around professing my love for a rival.. I don't hate the team, I hate the fans (i.e. not the entire fanbase) who decide to act stupid, entitled and annoying.

Both organizations as well as both fan bases deserve respect and it starts with realizing that a few bad apples doesn't turn the entire lot rotten.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Well, considering I didn't attack them once. Rather drew parallels of the two...

Never said you attacked them.. was talking about the thread before you started posting in it.

Thank you oh wise one. I will be sure to heed your sage advice . I will be sure to ask you what color underwear I put on tomorrow because I'm not sure I can make that decision on my own without your guidance.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:54 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:

Claiming they have 5 total losses thus they are no better then the 7-5 Rangers is an attack on the Devils record. Again, the Devils are not 8-5-0 no matter how much you wish them to be. Im glad to see you completely disregarded the points per game argument since it invalidates your point.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
Rangers are so overrated. They got a great goalie and a great 1st line. I would bet they aren't even close to first in the division.
The "first line" you're talking about hasn't been a line at all for the past 3 games and I'd say McDonagh, Staal, Girardi and MDZ are pretty big pieces that you forgot to mention.

We'll see how it all turns out.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
The "first line" you're talking about hasn't been a line at all for the past 3 games and I'd say McDonagh, Staal, Girardi and MDZ are pretty big pieces that you forgot to mention.

Also, I dont see how an 8th seed can be claimed as overrated

Old
02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post

The Defense is overrated because your goalie is so good.

Closed Thread