HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v26: Chuckers Gonna Chuck II: Chuck Harder

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 50
Wait, we have two seconds right? Nvm then, not a big deal.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Wait, we have two seconds right? Nvm then, not a big deal.
NBA seconds are largely irrelevant. 9 times out of 10, a guy like Quincy Acy is the best you can expect from a 2nd. The fact that it's getting the Raptors relief from the horrors of regular minutes for John Lucas for the rest of the season is a fine trade.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Sebastian Telfair to Toronto For Hamed Haddadi deal done, source says

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

In addition to Haddadi, Phoenix also gets 2nd round pick from Toronto for Telfair

Quote:
So, it appears the Celtics fetched Jordan Crawford for an injured/expiring Leandro Barbosa.

Not saying Crawford would have been a great fit in Toronto, but it goes to show you that BC likely could have gotten more than a 2nd round pick for Barbosa last season.

But I doubt Barbosa has much of a future in Washington. Really just a salary dump by the Celtics with Barbosa's expiring.
Crawford is a chucker and has had issues with the wizards since they took all of his minutes away by keeping Beal as the starting SG when Wall came back. Crawford hasn't played for the last 4 or 5 games because of his attitude.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
NBA seconds are largely irrelevant. 9 times out of 10, a guy like Quincy Acy is the best you can expect from a 2nd. The fact that it's getting the Raptors relief from the horrors of regular minutes for John Lucas for the rest of the season is a fine trade.
I know seconds aren't a huge deal, but I would hate to watch draft day and see us with zero picks. At least I can hope someone good drops to the second round with one of our seconds.

Seems the pick we give up is the lowest between Sac and our own pick. So probably the Raps 2nd.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:42 PM
DD03
3D

We can only hope Bargs gets moved at the deadline for a pick so we can get a young PF. But I'm dreaming of course.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Hyperglide

Wow we traded away another pick for another scrub? Ugh.. when is BC gonna start trading away our picks like candy. We have like no picks.

I didn't even know Telfair was still in the league. I guess he's our 3rd stringer. JLIII deserves playing time as a backup until the season is done.

EDIT: Just saw it's protected. Well that's better I guess *shrugs* At least we got rid of Whose your Daddy too who wasn't going to play here.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Telfair was serving as a backup for the Suns, why would he be our 3rd string point guard behind Lucas? He's a much more serviceable point guard than JLIII.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Habsfan18

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Orlando has traded J.J Redick to the Bucks, league source tells Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Milwaukee sends Orlando Doron Lamb, Tobias Harris and Beno Udrih, source tells Y!

02-21-2013, 02:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Wow we traded away another pick for another scrub? Ugh.. when is BC gonna start trading away our picks like candy. We have like no picks.

I didn't even know Telfair was still in the league. I guess he's our 3rd stringer. JLIII deserves playing time as a backup until the season is done.

EDIT: Just saw it's protected. Well that's better I guess *shrugs* At least we got rid of Whose your Daddy too who wasn't going to play here.
It's a 2nd. who cares?

a brief history of Raptors 2nd round picks:

Quincy Acy, Tomislav Zubcic, P.J. Tucker, Edin Bavcic, Roko Ukic, Uros Slokar, Albert Miralles, Remon van de Hare, DeAndre Hulett, Tyson Wheeler, Jimmy King.

Yep.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Does that mean Monta to ATL for Smith?

Only thing that makes sense to me is Ilyasova to Orlando for Redick, and Monta to ATL for Smith. That would make some serious noise for the Bucks though. Would be nice if that completely screws up their flow too.

edit: nvm 3 team deal between Orlando-Milwaukee-Charlotte

Old
02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Telfair is a solid backup PG...good defender who never quite panned out to be the player he once showed promised as

Anything to have JL3 back on the bench is fine with me

Old
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Telfair is a solid backup PG...good defender who never quite panned out to be the player he once showed promised as

Old
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

Not a lot of people remember how big of a deal he was. Kid from Coney Island had ESPN specials about him and all. Really would have benefited from going to college.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

So the best player dealt at the trade deadline is J.J Redick.

edit:
Quote:
Chad Ford @chadfordinsider 1 minute ago
Hearing Hawks pulled out of 3 way deal with Bucks & Magic that would've sent Josh Smith to Milwaukee at 2:59 p.m.
I knew they were thinking about it.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
showtime8

http://www.sockshare.com/file/FA0DDED6E1589642#

Here's a link to the story about Telfair.

I'm going to watch it in a bit, but if anyone's interested....

Old
02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
daner

John Lucas has been on fire coming off the bench. Not a big fan of this move. In our recent winning streak, Lucas has been very important coming off the bench adding much needed second scoring.

Anyone else maybe feeling the same?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
It's a 2nd. who cares?

a brief history of Raptors 2nd round picks:

Quincy Acy, Tomislav Zubcic, P.J. Tucker, Edin Bavcic, Roko Ukic, Uros Slokar, Albert Miralles, Remon van de Hare, DeAndre Hulett, Tyson Wheeler, Jimmy King.

Yep.
Just cause it's a 2nd doesn't mean you trade it for scraps. Telfair sucks man have you seen him play? Probably not cause he's deep on the Phoenix bench. A team worse then the Raptors.

Just cause 2nd's usually don't pan out doesn't mean they never do. Oh and some examples of 2nds that are great. Manu Ginobli, Manute Bol, Mehmet Okur, Steve Kerr, Marc Gasol, Raptors own Antonio Davis (remember him?), Rashard Lewis, Monta Ellis and the list goes on. I'd rather have a crack at one of those players then a washed up Telfair.

Yup.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Hyperglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by daner View Post
John Lucas has been on fire coming off the bench. Not a big fan of this move. In our recent winning streak, Lucas has been very important coming off the bench adding much needed second scoring.

Anyone else maybe feeling the same?
I agree he's been playing well and I think he deserves a bit of burn. I really hope he doesn't get put back as the 3rd stringer. If he starts sucking again like he did right at the beginning of the season I could see him going back but as of now he's hot and Casey needs to ride him.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Just cause it's a 2nd doesn't mean you trade it for scraps. Telfair sucks man have you seen him play? Probably not cause he's deep on the Phoenix bench. A team worse then the Raptors.
yes, I have. He's marginally better than he used to be a few years ago. He's not an ideal backup PG, but he's better than john lucas for the remainder of the season.

As for not playing much in Phoenix, that's because they have a capable starter in Dragic and a rook in Marshall that they need to give minutes to in order to develop him.

He doesn't deserve 20 minutes a night, but if Lowry plays 30-35 minutes, he can take 8-10 mins just fine and leave the rest for Lucas to come in when the team needs a gunner.

Quote:
Just cause 2nd's usually don't pan out doesn't mean they never do. Oh and some examples of 2nds that are great. Manu Ginobli, Manute Bol, Mehmet Okur, Steve Kerr, Marc Gasol, Raptors own Antonio Davis (remember him?), Rashard Lewis, Monta Ellis and the list goes on. I'd rather have a crack at one of those players then a washed up Telfair.
You've named 9 players out of the better part of 2 decades of 2nd round picks (more since you put Kerr). Or about 600 picks worth of players. Even if granting that you stopped early and there are (pulling a random # out of nowhere) 3x more players out of the 2nd that are good to very good NBA players, that's still 30 out of 600+ which is still only about 5% of 2nd rounders.

Good player or not, Telfair is still at least marginal NBA calibre, which is more than you can say for most 2nd rounders, and basically every Raptors 2nd rounder ever besides maybe Acy and now Tucker since he's returned to the league with Phoenix.

2nds have such minimal value and are easy enough to obtain (at any given draft you can usually buy your way into a 2nd rounder for a bit of cash and maybe a roster scrub or Euro rights) that if you can turn one into a guy who fits onto an NBA roster even for the short term, it's a reasonable exchange to make. Because chances are that whatever you might pick with your second will be no better than whatever spare part you get in a trade. Especially when your 2nd round draft history is as godawful as the Raptors' is.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
SlowShot

I like the deal since we needed another PG for when Lucas goes cold. Though I can't say I've watched many phoenix games after Nash left, one of the better posters on a basketball forum I sometimes frequent who is a Suns fan had this to say about Telfair.

"He's a really good backup PG though... he could possibly be a starter on a team that's in desperate need of a PG. He's definitely not a scoring PG though. Solid passer, great defender(can't emphasize this enough). He's not the best decision maker. But all in all he's worth having on any roster especially as a backup IMO."

Old
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Exactly. KG filled out his frame after he came into the league. I don't think it's fair to expect an 18 year old to be 6'10 and 260 .lbs of complete muscle.
I also said that KG at his best was no bigger then 230-235 lbs and that was into his late 20's maybe even early 30's not quite sure off the top of my head. But you seemed to have twisted it around to try and make some kind of point.

Ilyasova is what 25- 26 years old, 6'10" and 235. roughly the same KG was at this age maybe a bit heavier. And it was an argument that you don't have to be 260+ to be a good PF in the NBA.

Where I was giving a list of players who were and are around the 220-240 pound range.
Even though KG came into the league at about 215 - 220, for the first half of his career when he was dominate and posted his best statistical years he was in the of 220- 235 weight range.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Not to mention Telfair is here as insurance. At this time yesterday we only had two point guards, Lowry and Lucas. What if one of them, more specifically, Lowry, were to get injured? This is why you need 3 point guards.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Not to mention Telfair is here as insurance. At this time yesterday we only had two point guards, Lowry and Lucas. What if one of them, more specifically, Lowry, were to get injured? This is why you need 3 point guards.
I still think Telfair is a much better pg then Lucas, JL3 is pretty much a spot up shooter and not much more. I Personally think Telfair brings much more to the Raptors then and most of all gives us a bit of depth there as Eyedea said.

On a side note, The Raptors really need to start figuring out what to do with Terrence Ross and his minutes. Looking at his stats it says he's averaging about 16.6 per game averages out to about 4 mins a quarter (4.14) . He's a rookie tho and prone to rookie mistakes, his shot has been off maybe nerves or adjusting to the speed of the NBA game.

I think if given a fair opportunity Ross will start breaking over the second half of the season. And by next season will be a much more productive player for the Raptors. If anyone remembers a similar thing happened back when Tracy McGrady was drafted by Toronto. (Though T-Mac was a high school kid) but he was only averaging about 4.6 mins a Q and just over 5 1/2 the following year.

I still think the main reason he left Toronto was because he was disgruntled about his playing time the first two seasons in Toronto. And even in 99 when he finally broke out he didn't really get his chance until the 2nd half of the season. You could see he was past it at that stage and pretty much already made his mind up.

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen with Terrence Ross and by the time he's ready he's already gone. I personally think this is perhaps the same sort of thing that was going on with Ed Davis, who even though was having a big season was still not in the game when it was on the line, and most nights found him self sitting on the bench when the game was in the balance.

Terrence Ross does deserve more, I personally think he should be upwards of 20 minutes + a night. Like any rookie he's going to have his ups and downs but I just feel that there is no real benefit of having him ride the bench as much as he does, and or get the kind of garbage minutes he gets on a nightly basis.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
trellaine201

Pietrus?

Hey change of subject BUT whatever happened to Mikael Pietrus???? Injured?

Old
02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Yeah he's been injured.

Closed Thread