HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Hockey Lobby Mock Draft - The "Jonathan Drouin" Edition

Old
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Hockey Lobby Mock Draft - The "Jonathan Drouin" Edition

Here's the most recent Hockey Lobby Mock Draft! Enjoy and as usual, comments and reactions are welcomed!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.com/2013...n-edition.html

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:02 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Pretty good, but I have a couple of gripes.

No way does Fucale go top-10, and especially not to the Oilers just as Dubnyk is proving himself to be a capable starter.

The Sharks have no reason to draft a defenseman, they need forwards. Wennberg's their guy at that position.

And Morin shouldn't be in the first round. Anyone who has him there is making a mistake.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:24 PM
massivegoonery

The Hawks barely use the Morin they have, they're not buying a new one.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Show Me Your TDs

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Don't like it at all, can't see Drouin going over Nate. Nate is just too safe a pick with his physical edge to be atleast a bottom 6'er if his offense doesn't translate. As saide above, Fucale won't go top ten. I would also flip Barkov and Lindholm. And I see Petan going late first.

MrFunnyWobbl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:02 PM
feds91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Don't like it at all, can't see Drouin going over Nate. Nate is just too safe a pick with his physical edge to be atleast a bottom 6'er if his offense doesn't translate. As saide above, Fucale won't go top ten. I would also flip Barkov and Lindholm. And I see Petan going late first.
Seriously??? Drouin is outscoring Nate by an outstounding 24 points, and they play on the same team! I'm not saying that MacKinnon won't be drafted ahead of Drouin, but when you say you cannot see it happening because Nate has a physical edge over Jonathan when they are practically the same size, I definitely don't agree with that.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
Seriously??? Drouin is outscoring Nate by an outstounding 24 points, and they play on the same team! I'm not saying that MacKinnon won't be drafted ahead of Drouin, but when you say you cannot see it happening because Nate has a physical edge over Jonathan when they are practically the same size, I definitely don't agree with that.
Size has nothing to do with how physical you are, it's how you use that size. Nate is much more complete but its tough to pass on Drouins offensive skills. He is just an extremely smart player. I think they could go 1-2, despite what the Jones fan boys say. I'd be thrilled.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Personally, for me, there is no more debate between Drouin and MacKinnon. They can both be drafted one ahead of the other. Drouin has every right to have his name among the best of the draft and what he has done with the Mooseheads without MacKinnon pretty much cemented his name as a premier prospect. It comes down to teams preferences and what they need in a player for their franchise. Drouin plays a very smart game and reminds a lot of Patrick Kane. Therefore, I can see him go 1st overall as well.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
BeerLeagueAllStar

I think Hägg goes to Detroit for sure if they're picking around 20, you nailed that one. I think Fucale, Erne, and Subban all drop some. Also not sure about Drouin over Mack and Jones.

Also, holy hell Columbus should be stacked after this draft if they get 3 top 20 picks.

BeerLeagueAllStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Nate gets too much love. He's great and all, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:55 PM
dnicks17

I would burn my Oilers jersey if we drafted Fucale 8th overall.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Why? Sure he's not the ideal player for them to take at that spot.. but no doubt he's going to turn into a franchise goalie.

I'd say if that's how it went up until Edmonton, they should take Pulock. What do you think?

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Why? Sure he's not the ideal player for them to take at that spot.. but no doubt he's going to turn into a franchise goalie.

I'd say if that's how it went up until Edmonton, they should take Pulock. What do you think?
Zadorov or Nurse.

They need nasty people.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Zadorov or Nurse.

They need nasty people.
Makes sense. If it's between those two, i'd give it to Zadorov. I'm so ******* high on this kid, whoever gets him is going to have an amazing dman!!

EDIT: Everytime I go back and read your post, I keep thinking it says "They need tasty people."

Last edited by Kurdt Kobain: 02-25-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:40 PM
danyhabsfan

I would do ranking on win % not on pts.

Boston have a lot of game in hand.

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Oilers would not take Fucale, I think they would go Nurse, Zadorov or Rist

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I can certainly understand not knowing how to handle the Oilers not being the first team on the stage at the draft; that's uncharted territory.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
oil country 83

I would be shocked if the oilers draft a goalie there, if the centres are gone I don't know how they can pass on nurse. This team desperately needs size and grit.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:39 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
He has a solid chance at being a franchise goalie, but with how unpredictable goalies are, it's just way too risky.

The Oilers still need a lot of help. They can't take the chance of wasting a top10 pick.

Quote:
I'd be looking at Nurse.

Love his potential. Love his nastiness. Would be the ideal partner for Justin Schultz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I can certainly understand not knowing how to handle the Oilers not being the first team on the stage at the draft; that's uncharted territory.
Pshh. I fully expect to see the Tambo troll grin when we win the lottery again this year.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Pretty good, but I have a couple of gripes.

No way does Fucale go top-10, and especially not to the Oilers just as Dubnyk is proving himself to be a capable starter.

The Sharks have no reason to draft a defenseman, they need forwards. Wennberg's their guy at that position.

And Morin shouldn't be in the first round. Anyone who has him there is making a mistake.
While I agree Wennberg would look great in a Sharks jersey, I think in this case, San Jose needs the best prospect available considering their lack of bluechip prospects.

I don't usually agree with the simple notion of BPA because when it comes down to the final pick, position is always a factor, but with the Sharks, they need bluechip help everywhere, so I would not discount a defenseman.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I'm going to laugh when the Oilers draft Hunter Shinkaruk. Need more wingers!

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:59 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
While I agree Wennberg would look great in a Sharks jersey, I think in this case, San Jose needs the best prospect available considering their lack of bluechip prospects.

I don't usually agree with the simple notion of BPA because when it comes down to the final pick, position is always a factor, but with the Sharks, they need bluechip help everywhere, so I would not discount a defenseman.
They don't need blue-chip help on defense when they have Burns (27), Vlasic (25), Demers (24), Braun (25), Irwin (25), and several quality bottom-4 guys in the system. They have Couture, and that's about it at forward.

Besides, who says Zadorov is the best player available? My personal opinion is that you should never draft a defensive defenseman in the first round. Even the second round if you can help it. The Sharks have had too many misses in the early rounds, going from bust Ty Wishart (16th overall in 2006) to near-bust Nick Petrecki (27th overall in 2007) to busts William Wrenn and Taylor Doherty (both mid 2nd in 2008). Zadorov is not only not a need, but not a want. This isn't even considering the Sharks' org disliking drafting Russians, which while I think is stupid and short-sighted, isn't something I imagine changing for a player like Zadorov. We've drafted enough big, physical defense-first defensemen early, we're not making that mistake anymore.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Islanders take Nichushkin over Monahan IMO.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
They don't need blue-chip help on defense when they have Burns (27), Vlasic (25), Demers (24), Braun (25), Irwin (25), and several quality bottom-4 guys in the system. They have Couture, and that's about it at forward.

Besides, who says Zadorov is the best player available? My personal opinion is that you should never draft a defensive defenseman in the first round. Even the second round if you can help it. The Sharks have had too many misses in the early rounds, going from bust Ty Wishart (16th overall in 2006) to near-bust Nick Petrecki (27th overall in 2007) to busts William Wrenn and Taylor Doherty (both mid 2nd in 2008). Zadorov is not only not a need, but not a want. This isn't even considering the Sharks' org disliking drafting Russians, which while I think is stupid and short-sighted, isn't something I imagine changing for a player like Zadorov. We've drafted enough big, physical defense-first defensemen early, we're not making that mistake anymore.
1. Ah, I guess I should have mentioned that I also believe that teams should draft to refill prospect cupboards which excludes majority of pro roster players that aren't really considered long-term future players.

Players like Brent Burns are players of the now. Drafting, in my opinion, is about making sure a team has pieces to develop so that the team will have good spread of talent in their players, from veterans past their prime to rookies just starting out. So when that core reaches past their prime, say .... in 2021, 34-35 year olds ... who in their current pipeline will become their next talented 25-year old beginning their prime in 2021?

I think they have great depth in their prospect pool, but lack a prospect with strong and obvious bluechip potential to be part of the next core group of defensemen. So my main reason of replying to your post was that Sharks do not need a defenseman, not that they don't need Zadorov, as I think they could benefit from a talented defenseman.

2. I agree on your "never draft a defensive defenseman in the first round" to a certain extent.

I believe defensive defenseman that have no offensive upside should not be drafted in the top 60. However, that all depends on whether they bring some offensive potential. If they bring some decent offensive upside as well as dominate phyiscal traits and great shutdown capabilities, then in those circumstances, I believe they warrant consideration for a top 30 pick.

3. I was not aware of the Sharks draft philosophy so that is my own mistake, but I still think they could benefit from adding a talented defenseman to their pipeline.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:14 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

My personal opinion is that you should never draft a defensive defenseman in the first round. Even the second round if you can help it.
It's not as if Zadorov is some kid with no talent though, you can see he has more potential than say Douglas Murray.

I agree you don't take the defensman with 1 goal and 6 assist in 72 games that early, but Zadorov has 5 goals and 22 points (Shea Weber had 4 goals and 18 points his draft year). Not saying Zadorov is going to be Weber.

Outside of the top 5, and to a lesser extent the top 10, you want to make sure you get a player IMO.

Even a guy like John Carlson wasn't drafted to be an offensive guy, more of a two way guy. I'd say he was solid 1st rounder in 08' would you?

It's about what you can project his upside to, and I think Zadorov has top pairing upside, with room to grow on offense.

I understand the philosophy, but there are certain players you must project going forward....Zadorov is a guy who projects well IMO.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

New and exciting information.

Last edited by Cujomi: 03-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote