HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Trades history (rumors) of Jaromir Jagr

Old
05-23-2017, 02:32 AM
alko

vCash: 500
Trades history (rumors) of Jaromir Jagr

Now im interested to the 2 famous trades. And more about the rumors as for the trades actually.

First one from Pittsburgh to Washington
Second one from Washington to Rangers.

Were there any rumors, that there was a package from other teams for him?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:38 AM
threetimer

I only know there was a rumour around 1995 that at some point of they year a Forsberg-Jagr swap negotiations / plans took place on the Quebec-Pittsburgh route.

Never happened. But imagine it did, ha!

threetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:00 AM
Vujtek

Rangers were the rumored destination for Jagr back in 2001, so him getting eventually traded to Capitals was then a bit of a surprise. Don't remember what the Rangers were exactly rumored to be offering for Jagr (it was some package of prospects) but I do seem to recall Pavel Brendl's name being in the mix quite a lot.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:54 AM
The_Human_Atombomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Now im interested to the 2 famous trades. And more about the rumors as for the trades actually.

First one from Pittsburgh to Washington
Second one from Washington to Rangers.

Were there any rumors, that there was a package from other teams for him?
The trade to WSH came quite out of nowhere. But I remember a fake trade being reported here that included Naslund and Jovanovski that got the whole board crazy for one evening

Last edited by The_Human_Atombomb: 05-23-2017 at 05:30 AM.
The_Human_Atombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Speedtrials

When Pittsburgh was shopping him the feeling around New York was we were the only team really in the running for him. Sather tried to low-ball Patrick a bit, and when the deal was done with Washington apparently Sather was shocked. If you listened to NY sports radio, they were killing Sather. Trust me they never talk hockey here

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 06:20 PM
HowsUrBreath

jagr was begging for a trade the entire year

never imagined we would only get 3 worthless prospects for the best player in the world, and he was traded to a playoff rival too

that was the first nail in the coffin for craig patrick

HowsUrBreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Pittsburgh was in financial disarray so I think that's a major reason why they didn't want much salary coming back in exchange for Jagr.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/jagr...itals-1.288397
Quote:
Jagr has 439 goals and 1,079 points in 806 NHL games, all with Pittsburgh, and won his fourth consecutive Art Ross Trophy with 52 goals and 121 points last season.

But the cash-strapped Penguins, desperate to dump payroll, could no longer afford Jagr and his reported $20.7 million US salary over the next two seasons.

Nor could they afford an elite and equally expensive player in return.

That's because Pittsburgh has 18 free agents to be re-signed, including Darius Kasparaitis, Alexei Kovalev, Robert Lang and Martin Straka.

"We're not done with what we need to do this summer," Penguins GM Craig Patrick said. "There's still a lot of question marks."

Once dangled as trade bait, Jagr found himself in high demand with the deep-pocketed New York Rangers considered front-runners.

"I called them back," Patrick said of the Rangers. "But we were too happy with this deal.

"There was nothing they could do that would have changed our mind."

The free-spending Dallas Stars and Los Angeles Kings also expressed interest.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:40 AM
alko

"I called them back," Patrick said of the Rangers. "But we were too happy with this deal...

One 1. round pick forward (Beech) and two 2. round Defensmen. All 3 at the beginning of their professional career. You can see the focus to the future from Pens. But why didnt they asked for draft picks?
Lets say, 1. round pick in 2004.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:48 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
"I called them back," Patrick said of the Rangers. "But we were too happy with this deal...

One 1. round pick forward (Beech) and two 2. round Defensmen. All 3 at the beginning of their professional career. You can see the focus to the future from Pens. But why didnt they asked for draft picks?
Lets say, 1. round pick in 2004.
Well in retrospect as a Penguins fan i'd rather take Malkin, Beech, five years of bottomdwelling and two cups over Malkin, Ovechkin, five years of bottomdwelling and about three to four cups. The latter do depend on the salary cap as well of course.
Ovechkin turned out to be an *******!

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 01:44 PM
mrhockey193195

I thought the rumors were that Pittsburgh wanted both Brendl and Lundmark from the Rangers, and NY scoffed. Funny - the one time in that era where the Rangers actually valued their youth and didn't make the prospects-for-superstar trade, it actually turned out to be a terrible decision.

NY went ahead and traded Brendl (no big loss), Johnsson (very solid defenseman for some time), and Hlavac (career went downhill) for Lindros.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 02:22 PM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I thought the rumors were that Pittsburgh wanted both Brendl and Lundmark from the Rangers, and NY scoffed. Funny - the one time in that era where the Rangers actually valued their youth and didn't make the prospects-for-superstar trade, it actually turned out to be a terrible decision.

NY went ahead and traded Brendl (no big loss), Johnsson (very solid defenseman for some time), and Hlavac (career went downhill) for Lindros.
I remember them being so high on Brendl, but despite the changing GMS if a guy who's so highly touted cant make it out of training camp 2 years in a row that should be an immediate red flag. Makes me wonder if Sather pulled off the deal would he begin the small rebuild that happened in 05-06?

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:28 AM
EXTRAS

I was looking back at jagrs career stats year by year, and other than a few great years when he played with lemeiux, he has mostly been a slightly above point per game player. I've heard a lot of guys calling him a top 6-7 best player of all time lately and I think this is overrating him. I know when I was younger I never thought of him as a #1 player in the league most years.

EXTRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Orange Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTRAS View Post
I was looking back at jagrs career stats year by year, and other than a few great years when he played with lemeiux, he has mostly been a slightly above point per game player. I've heard a lot of guys calling him a top 6-7 best player of all time lately and I think this is overrating him. I know when I was younger I never thought of him as a #1 player in the league most years.
You should check the stats more carefully then.

Sesason GP G A P PPG
199495 48 32 38 70 1.45 Art Ross (Lemieux didn't play)
199798 77 35 67 102 1.32 Art Ross (Lemieux retired)
199899 81 44 83 127 1.56 Art Ross, Hart (Lemieux retired)
199900 63 42 54 96 1.52 Art Ross (Lemieux retired)
200506 82 54 69 123 1.5 (Jagr played on Rangers)

Aside of Washington years Jagr was nothing but spectacular.

Orange Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote