HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rate the 60s HHOF centres based on their defence

Old
12-13-2016, 12:27 PM
reckoning

vCash: 500
Rate the 60s HHOF centres based on their defence

There was a thread earlier rating the defensive abilities of centres from the late-90s, I thought it would be interesting to do the same with another era, and decided on the 60s:

Jean Beliveau
Alex Delvecchio
Dave Keon
Stan Mikita
Henri Richard
Norm Ullman

The middle four players on the list all have reputations as players who would've been Selke contenders had the award existed back then. How would you rank them, based solely on their defence.

Looking for opinions from those who saw them play back then, as well as any researchers who may have any anecdotes about that aspect of their game. Thanks.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2016, 12:41 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
There was a thread earlier rating the defensive abilities of centres from the late-90s, I thought it would be interesting to do the same with another era, and decided on the 60s:

Jean Beliveau
Alex Delvecchio
Dave Keon
Stan Mikita
Henri Richard
Norm Ullman

The middle four players on the list all have reputations as players who would've been Selke contenders had the award existed back then. How would you rank them, based solely on their defence.

Looking for opinions from those who saw them play back then, as well as any researchers who may have any anecdotes about that aspect of their game. Thanks.
I don't have the time to dig up and provide anecdotes, unfortunately, but my interpretation of everything I've read is as follows:

Dave Keon (lower end of the all-time top-10 defensive forwards)
Henri Richard (lower end of the top-10 all-time as well)
Norm Ullman (always very good but likely not a selke winner)
Stan Mikita (similar to how Ullman was all career, but mostly in 2nd half of career after offensive prime was over)
Alex Delvecchio (was apparently good but I've seen little that places him on an Ullman/Mikita level)
Jean Beliveau (by all accounts conscientious, but defense was not his primary responsibility; there's much less written about his defense than these other guys)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2016, 12:52 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I don't have the time to dig up and provide anecdotes, unfortunately, but my interpretation of everything I've read is as follows:

Stan Mikita (similar to how Ullman was all career, but mostly in 2nd half of career after offensive prime was over)
Alex Delvecchio (was apparently good but I've seen little that places him on an Ullman/Mikita level)
Jean Beliveau (by all accounts conscientious, but defense was not his primary responsibility; there's much less written about his defense than these other guys)
Good list.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
tony d
Pug

Keon
Richard
Ullman
Delvecchio
Mikita
Beliveau

12-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Canadiens1958

Alex Delvecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

How do you filter Alex Delvecchio's LW time from his C time?

Henri Richard and Keon are a toss-up.

You are overrating Ullman a tad. Delvecchio tended to get the key match-ups.

Beliveau until his knee injury - training camp 1961 was very solid without the Henri Richard speed factor.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote