HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Kharlamov played in NHL in his prime...

Old
02-27-2016, 10:43 AM
User9992

vCash: 500
If Kharlamov played in NHL in his prime...

If Valeri Kharlamov joined NHL in late 60's or early 70's... What he could achieve? Would he be a legend of NHL?

Kharlamov's sensational solo goal vs. Canada in 1974

Kharlamov scores awesome solo goal vs. New York Rangers in 1975

Valeri Kharlamov - 1972 Summit Series Game 1, Goal 6

Valeri Kharlamov - 1972 Summit Series Game 1, Goal 5

Valeri Kharlamov - 1972 Summit Series Game 3, Goal 5

Goal vs. Montreal Canadians - 1975

Last edited by User9992: 03-02-2016 at 11:55 AM.
User9992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Theokritos

For reference, earlier threads with the same topic:

From 2008: What if: Kharlamov in the NHL?
From 2013: How good would Valery Kharlamov have been in the NHL?

Some of the replies from these two threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
Put up points like, say, Hull or Bossy? Probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Depending when he gets on the NHL...let's say he comes here past Summit Series. He probably NEVER reaches the 700 pts mark.
A few 90-100 pts seasons, and a brutal fall around 30.

IF he adapts well. My hypothesis considers he did so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I think people vastly overestimate his offensive abilities if they think he was as good as Gretzky or Lemieux. It's not like he was walking away with scoring title after scoring title back in Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Bure-esque with Stastny points? A more dynamic Hull? I don't know how much he'd score, but I bet he'd be among the leaders every season. Hard to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yeah, Bure-sque is likely it. 50-60 goals and 40-50 assists a year if he stayed healthy. Similar to Orr, he took a lot of risky chances and he might have damaged his knees with that kind of play. It also depends what team he played for. Although he could take the puck from center and go to the net he would still require some decent puck moving defense men and a good center and wingers on his team. Don't forget the Red Army was an all-star team and his production was partly a result of the room the others created too. Had he been stuck in Colorado or Washington, he might never have had the skating room needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
He had the talent and speed, he was very strong on his skates, and he was feisty (even friggin' Harold Ballard liked him!). Pre-1976, the opposition usually needed to use some dirty/illegal methods to stop him. His stats (which don't make him stand out in any special way) don't necessarily do him justice; you really need to watch him to fully appreciate him. During the 1974 Summit series, I think it was Pat Stapleton who said that he feels the Soviets' emphasis on team play was holding Kharlamov back and he would be even better in the North American game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Kharlamov was known as a very good playmaker, so I don't really understand the Bure comparison. The comparison I've heard most often is "Guy Lafleur," but that makes a lot of assumptions. One is how well Kharlamov could have handled the more physical NHL. Clarke slash aside, Canada went into later series with the intention of roughing him up, and did meet with some success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
I also think the soviet system limited his effectiveness, evidenced by Kharlamov routinely being the best player on the ice yet being outproduced by teammates. He was very much an instinctual player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Lafleur always comes to mind. However, like the Bossy/Makarov comparison we saw what Lafleur could do 80 games in and out of the NHL year after year. I don't know how Kharlamov reacts in the NHL as THE star player on his team. Philly seemed to maintain him rather well in 1976 so who knows? The question is how would he cope in the rough and tumble NHL at that time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I see his potential upside as Lafleur. His downside, Yvan Cournoyer. Really depends on how well he would have adapted.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Brad Park looked horrible on that goal and defensing was very much like that in the 70's Dman with lousy gap control, not moving their feet.

Kharlamov skill wise would have feasted in the NHL had the iron curtain come down say in 1965.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2016, 11:39 AM
blogofmike

70s were team dependent. Still in most reasonably good situations 80-100 range seems right. In around where Gilbert Perreault was.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2016, 11:47 AM
User9992

Notice how he makes North American defenders look like a garbage...

User9992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Holkoun

He would be true megastar.

Last edited by Holkoun: 02-29-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Holkoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 08:37 AM
MXD

I'm tweaking what I said earlier : He doesn't reach 800 points if he comes in North America right after the Summit Series.

A few 90/100 points seasons and a brutal fall around 1979 or something like that. Probably good enough to be the best left winger in the league, however.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Holkoun

Quote:
I'm tweaking what I said earlier : He doesn't reach 800 points if he comes in North America right after the Summit Series.

A few 90/100 points seasons and a brutal fall around 1979 or something like that. Probably good enough to be the best left winger in the league, however.
dont compare statistics with statistics... especially with "red history"... it is uncomparable. He was supertalented player and he showed that even to NHL-players. And this is basically only head to head comparison and it shows where he could be if... He was easily best player on the ice.

Old
02-29-2016, 08:58 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holkoun View Post
dont compare statistics with statistics... especially with "red history"... it is uncomparable. He was supertalented player and he showed that even to NHL-players. And this is basically only head to head comparison and it shows where he could be if... He was easily best player on the ice.
Don't ask questions if you're to disagree with logical, sensible answers.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 11:00 AM
nutbar

As an aside, what happened to his son? He was highly touted and then dropped off the earth.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

It all depends what team he plays on. He could have ended up Gil Perreault or Guy Lafleur.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 02:36 AM
Fredrik_71

Kharlamov is probably the most skilled player produced outside of North America ever. I think that if he would have had a NHL career in his prime he would have been ranked top-5 ever, possibly top-3.

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 02:50 AM
Eisen

Not the most efficient player but probably the most beautiful, elegant and dazzling. He would be one of the best players but not run away with scoring titles year after year.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2016, 04:12 AM
Namba 17

This is what highlights' goals can do for you nobody interested in what could Mikhailov or Vasiliev, or Tretyak achieved, but 3 threads about Kharlamov

Namba 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Holkoun

Quote:
Don't ask questions if you're to disagree with logical, sensible answers.
I am not asking question, i am putting you into the context.