HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Comcast buying NBC (UPD 1/18/11 FCC/DOJ approval; 2/2013 Comcast buying GE portion)

Old
09-30-2009, 10:05 PM
frivolousz21

vCash: 500
Comcast buying NBC (UPD 1/18/11 FCC/DOJ approval; 2/2013 Comcast buying GE portion)

Quote:
Report: Comcast in talks to buy NBC

Cable giant Comcast could be on its way to acquiring entertainment giant NBC Universal.

The Wrap reports that Comcast is in talks to buy General Electric-owned NBC Universal. According to the report, "[d]eal points were hammered out" during a Tuesday meeting, and "[t]wo individuals informed about the meeting said that a deal had already been completed at a purchase price of $35 billion."

In a statement, Comcast denied the report: "While we do not normally comment on M&A rumors, the report that Comcast has a deal to purchase NBC Universal is inaccurate."

If the report is indeed true, what impact would such a deal have on sports fans?

The deal would give NBC a major cable sports presence. While FOX Sports has Fox Sports Net and ABC Sports has been swallowed whole by ESPN, NBC Sports' only cable counterpart is Universal Sports. During the Olympics, events air on networks ranging from MSNBC and CNBC to Bravo and Oxygen -- networks not known for sports coverage.

With Versus, The Golf Channel and a host of regional sports networks, Comcast offers NBC a major opportunity to extend the NBC Sports brand on cable. Notably, NBC and Versus would conceivably have an opportunity to become the poor man's ESPN/ABC.

Versus would almost certainly air some coverage of future Olympics -- the network is a far better fit than MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Oxygen. And while NBC and Versus already share talent for NHL coverage, a Comcast/NBC deal would allow for many opportunities for synergy.
http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...o-buy-nbc.html

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:13 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

In 2004, they made an unsolicited $54B offer for Disney (including ABC/ESPN). The Mouse rejected the offer as insufficient and Comcast opted not to sweeten it's bid.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:14 PM
frivolousz21

http://www.thewrap.com/article/exclu...-electric-8002

frivolousz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
rj

Comcast "denied" the rumor.

General Electric is wrapped in debt up to its eyeballs thanks to bad financial decisions that have since blown up, so if Comcast can put together the money to buy NBC Universal, now's the time to do it.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Comcast trying to buy NBC

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2562

Quote:
The swirl of speculation about NBC Universal's future grew intense late Wednesday amid a report that Comcast is in talks to acquire some or all of the Peacock.
Comcast denied a report posted on the Wrap Wednesday evening that a deal had been reached for the cable giant to buy NBC U.

"While we do not normally comment on M&A rumors, the report that Comcast has a deal to purchase NBC Universal is inaccurate," Comcast said in a statement. NBC U declined comment.

Still, there was evidence that some discussions are taking place between the two companies, but the intentions on either side are far from certain.
OK, so if it does go through, in some shape or form, would Comcast be the front runner for a NHL broadcast/cable combined TV deal in a few years?

If not, it might be more outlets for sports for Comcast.

(Some definitions for those who don't read Variety a lot... Peacock = NBC. M&A = merger and acquisition)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:10 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Looks like this takes care of the problem with getting Vs into more households. I wonder if they'll go with the NBC Sports brand for Vs or maybe Vs on NBC for Sunday Night Football like ESPN did with ABC?

I guess this is why Comcast and the NHL are being so ballsy with DirecTV.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:30 AM
KevFu

this could be huge for the world of sports. Comcast, in general, from their ownership ties to the Flyers to Versus and its increased coverage of NHL, Pac 10 and Mountain West football, seem to "get" the role of sports in programming.

If Comcast gets NBC, we could be in for a revival of NBC Sports, an increase in competition for sports package bidding among networks, and NBC entering the sports game on all kinds of levels.

This could influence the NHL and college sports significantly. NBC has the NHL (for no $), Sunday Night Football, Notre Dame and the Olympics. By far the least of the four major US networks.

I'm probably the only person on this board interested in NCAA conference re-alignment, but this could have MAJOR implication for the Big East (and subsequently A-10 and C-USA).

I'd love this. It would send sports TV into upheaval, and give me something to talk about for years.

KevFu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
this could be huge for the world of sports. Comcast, in general, from their ownership ties to the Flyers to Versus and its increased coverage of NHL, Pac 10 and Mountain West football, seem to "get" the role of sports in programming.

If Comcast gets NBC, we could be in for a revival of NBC Sports, an increase in competition for sports package bidding among networks, and NBC entering the sports game on all kinds of levels.

This could influence the NHL and college sports significantly. NBC has the NHL (for no $), Sunday Night Football, Notre Dame and the Olympics. By far the least of the four major US networks.

I'm probably the only person on this board interested in NCAA conference re-alignment, but this could have MAJOR implication for the Big East (and subsequently A-10 and C-USA).

I'd love this. It would send sports TV into upheaval, and give me something to talk about for years.
Didn't we just go thru this 5 years ago? Miami, VT, and BC to the ACC, and the fallout from that nuclear blast?

The sport that needs a major overhaul conference-wise is NCAA Hockey (but that is a different board/topic altogether)

However, I definitely agree this could make things all VERY interesting down the road with ND, the NFL, the NHL, the Olympics, and the NCAA Conferences already aligned with Versus - much less all the Comcast-owned RSNs.

Spydey629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:49 AM
CC Chiefs*

Hasn't Ed Snider and Gary Bettman screwed enough up already?

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
You can't be serious.

Let's see... Disney owned the Ducks. Disney owned ESPN/ABC. Hmmm... National TV deal with ESPN and ABC.

It could be that Comcast will own NBC, USA, and Versus. You don't think this could lead to a long term, national TV deal for the NHL??

Old
10-01-2009, 08:57 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Ed Snider has been nothing but good for hockey and Gary Bettman has nothing to do with Comcast trying to by a major network.

I very much hope this deal goes through, NBC already has the best comedy lineup on TV between 30 Rock, The Office, Leno (I know, he's lame, but old people love him), and Conan. The kind of people watching these shows (read: young) are about as prime an audience for hockey to expand to as we're going to get. If this deal goes through and NBC starts airing hockey in primetime slots it would be absolutely huge for the game. Never thought I'd say this after all the BS I've been through with them over basic cable service, but GO COMCAST GO!

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:59 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydey629 View Post
You can't be serious.

Let's see... Disney owned the Ducks. Disney owned ESPN/ABC. Hmmm... National TV deal with ESPN and ABC.

It could be that Comcast will own NBC, USA, and Versus. You don't think this could lead to a long term, national TV deal for the NHL??
At what and who's cost? Are you aware that Mr. Snider is holding us DTV hockey fans hostage right with Versus? What's to stop him from setting the prices too high and we wont be able to afford NBC.

Old
10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Ed Snider has been nothing but good for hockey and Gary Bettman has nothing to do with Comcast trying to by a major network.

I very much hope this deal goes through, NBC already has the best comedy lineup on TV between 30 Rock, The Office, Leno (I know, he's lame, but old people love him), and Conan. The kind of people watching these shows (read: young) are about as prime an audience for hockey to expand to as we're going to get. If this deal goes through and NBC starts airing hockey in primetime slots it would be absolutely huge for the game. Never thought I'd say this after all the BS I've been through with them over basic cable service, but GO COMCAST GO!
2 WORDS: DIRECTV VERSUS (COMCAST)

Old
10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
At what and who's cost? Are you aware that Mr. Snider is holding us DTV hockey fans hostage right with Versus? What's to stop him from setting the prices too high and we wont be able to afford NBC.
Afford NBC??? IT'S FREE!!!

This whole thing with Direct is all about channel placement. I have zero inside knowledge, but I'm willing to bet - at worst - it gets resolved by the end of the calendar year.

Old
10-01-2009, 09:19 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Afford NBC??? [B]IT'S FREE!!![/B]

This whole thing with Direct is all about channel placement. I have zero inside knowledge, but I'm willing to bet - at worst - it gets resolved by the end of the calendar year.
It's not free, it's part of a package. Before Versus shutdown on DTV it was part of a package (or free as you would say). Now Versus (Comcast) wants to raise the price to have Versus. And who's going to end up abosrbing that extra cost? You and me.

Old
10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Spydey629

Quote:
It's not free, it's part of a package. Before Versus shutdown on DTV it was part of a package (or free as you would say). Now Versus (Comcast) wants to raise the price to have Versus. And who's going to end up abosrbing that extra cost? You and me.
You're missing my point. No one MUST pay Direct, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Tom, Dick, or Harry for NBC, ABC, CBS, or PBS. They are over-the-air broadcast free-tv stations. They are in a 'package' only because of how you chose to get non-free TV stations.

Old
10-01-2009, 09:55 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
You're missing my point. No one MUST pay Direct, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Tom, Dick, or Harry for NBC, ABC, CBS, or PBS. They are over-the-air broadcast free-tv stations. They are in a 'package' only because of how you chose to get non-free TV stations.
And to one-up that, you can even parlay the lack of Versus into a free or half-off center ice package which is better than Versus anyway!

These kind of disputes never last anyway- your Versus which big evil Ed Snider is holding your poor, defenseless Directv "hostage" over will probably be back within a month, so you'd be smart to cash in on the Center Ice deal while you still can.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
And you are missing my point. Nothing is free unless you are using an antenna, then it's free. Otherwise all of your channels are part of a package. And what about the guy who doesn't have cable in his area and can only have DTV? I guess you could say switch to Dish Net, but they don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket. There are alot of rural areas that don't have cable available.

Old
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
And to one-up that, you can even parlay the lack of Versus into a free or half-off center ice package which is better than Versus anyway!

These kind of disputes never last anyway- your Versus which big evil Ed Snider is holding your poor, defenseless Directv "hostage" over will probably be back within a month, so you'd be smart to cash in on the Center Ice deal while you still can.
They're not holding Directv hostage! They're hold me the consumer hostage. In reality this issue wont really bother me until the playoffs when games wont be on Directv. I'll probably have switch be then.

Old
10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Jonas1235

What impact does this have on the availability of Versus?

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Gary Bettman has nothing to do with this, other than the fact that the NHL is being used as a bargaining chip between Comcast and DirecTV.

I love rhetoric as much as the next guy, but to say that he "screwed up" is disingenuous.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This is an interesting move for the NHL. In 2 years both the cable and national broadcast rights will be up. ESPN/ABC and VERSUS/NBC could be a bidding war which could net the NHL millions. This would be nothing but good for the NHL

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
And you are missing my point. Nothing is free unless you are using an antenna, then it's free. Otherwise all of your channels are part of a package. And what about the guy who doesn't have cable in his area and can only have DTV? I guess you could say switch to Dish Net, but they don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket. There are alot of rural areas that don't have cable available.
You pay for DirecTV, which is a completely different story than DirecTV being charged to carry a broadcast network (which, to the best of my knowledge, they are not). Your fear about "Snider setting the prices to high" is groundless because there are no prices to set for NBC.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Many hockey fans seem to think that Gary Bettman is personally involved in or has control over any decision, business transaction, or dispute which is even tangentially related to the NHL.

I'm sure we are not far off from someone on here claiming that Comcast's motivation for doing this is to get the broadcast network rights to the NHL, as if it's NBC's most important property or something.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:19 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
This is an interesting move for the NHL. In 2 years both the cable and national broadcast rights will be up. ESPN/ABC and VERSUS/NBC could be a bidding war which could net the NHL millions. This would be nothing but good for the NHL
As much as I don't like what Snider is doing to me right now, I guess it would be a good revenue producing move by the NHL. I'm just worried about billionaire fighting billionaires and we get left without coverage. Kind of like what's going on right now between DTV and Comcast.