HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 |Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Islanders | Feb 9 | 7 PM | L 3-2

Old
02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
GusTheo

vCash: 500
Bailey-Cizikas-Martin was the best line tonight IMO. High energy, nice mix of grit and skill. I thought they were gonna score for sure. Only way I want to see this line broken up is if Bailey gets put on JT's line.

JT was obviously the best forward out there tonight, I thought Bailey was just behind him.

Lubo was good as well, except towards the end in desperation mode he had a few turnovers but that's to be expected, we were frantic trying to tie it up.

I didn't Okposo was as bad as everyone is making him out to be. He had a decent forecheck going, causing turnovers. Still turned the puck over too much but one of his better games in the past week or so.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
BillD

Well this ends a suck day.
First I get burned out of my house, now I am reading that we lost the 4th in a row against a very bad Sabres team.
This is not going to be a very good upcoming few months.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Nabokov with yet another solid game

I am sorry, I dont care what anyone says, if you lose 3-2 when you outshoot the opponent 43-17, the goalie cost you the game.

Nabby has not been NEARLY good enough to deserve this many consecutive starts

Satan'sIsland81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
LOVED Cizikas tonight! Never need to see Reasoner out there instead of him again...

Good debuts by Bailey and Vis, even if Lubo lost the puck a few times due to 'trying to do too much' in the end there. Bailey needs to get back into the game flow, but good start.

I have actually liked Boyes since being moved to the first line. He's playing way better than.... who was that other guy??? Was he even in the line-up tonight???

Seriously, no mystery to me that the Nielsen line has become the weak link defensively since joined by Kyle, who continues to be MIA in so many ways. So.Many.Ways.

I'm happy with both Hickey and Strait. Liking them more and more and more. In fact, I'm thinking Hickey may really be able to become something. I mean, he may be a bit like Streit by the time he's 26/27. Will he be here then? As for Strait, can't 'think' him out of the line-up right now. Naturally, neither is without his flaws.

All in all, I loved the puckmoving ability of tonight's 6 Dmen. Best game we've had from a transition standpoint.
You like this smallish D, Buffalo is not even a tough team and we could not handle them.

Boyes is lazy. You can keep this cycling of players constantly with no gain..the dog is chasing his own tail....until you slap him he will continue chasing his tail.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
You like this smallish D, Buffalo is not even a tough team and we could not handle them.
15 Shots against.

I'll take that every game of the year.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:41 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
15 Shots against.

I'll take that every game of the year.

Buffalo is bad thats why they had 15 shots

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:43 PM
stranger34

In a strike shortened season 0-4 = 0-8.

I thought for sure this was a solid team this year. I find it very depressing we are going to leave nassau with a whimper

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Buffalo had 40 shots and 5 goals on Thursday night

Coming into tonight they had 3 games in their first 11 where they put up 40 shots.

Still don't want to give a puck moving defense corps that keeps the puck out of their own end any credit?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Nabokov sucked. Our finishers sucked as well.

BTW - JT hitting posts and others flubbing easy goals... This what happens when you lose confidence in your game.

They need a new coach, and they need better support players.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:52 PM
YearlyLottery

Quote:
How much better could it get against a "bad team"? They averaged 5 shots a period. That's really good. They ran into a hot goalie. JT hit the post on the breakaway. This game could have went either way. a loss is a loss. This is the best D we have had in a long time.

YearlyLottery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:52 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Nabokov sucked. Our finishers sucked as well.

BTW - JT hitting posts and others flubbing easy goals... This what happens when you lose confidence in your game.

They need a new coach, and they need better support players.
They have support players, Martin, Cizikas, McDonald, Ullstrom,a nd Bailey (tonight) they play well. Unfortunately they don't see the ice. Instead we are treated to watching Kyle Okposo, Brad Boyes and Matt Moulson figure skating and coughing up pucks for a combined 59 minutes.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
Buffalo more or less has the same problem as the Isles have with the Rangers nearby, if you're gonna go play there 80 miles away from Toronto than why just not play for the Leafs. They cannot really draw any big guys to help out with their young players and Miller just is not that good

So then how come the Leafs can't win?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:55 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
They have support players, Martin, Cizikas, McDonald, Ullstrom,a nd Bailey (tonight) they play well. Unfortunately they don't see the ice. Instead we are treated to watching Kyle Okposo, Brad Boyes and Matt Moulson figure skating and coughing up pucks for a combined 59 minutes.
That's why I have a bag over my avatar.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

Bring back the paper bag on GDTs!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:03 PM
Islesfan22

Well just got home from the game. First of all i must say i was surprised to see so many fans there considering the blizzard we just had. Now to the game well what can you say the Islanders totally dominated the game yet still lost. This team can't get to brooklyn fast enough as this season is over. I forsee another long losing streak then start winning meaningless games again so we can mess up our draft position. Groundhog Day all over again with this team.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
Groundhog Day all over again with this team.
I enjoyed watchng Bill Murray at Pebble Beach today a whole lot more that I enjoyed the past 4 Islander games. This is getting old.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM
ninetynine*

Put Boulton back in the line-up, this team is soft without at least 2 of Boulton, Carkner, and Finley in every night, and Carkner's injured.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Put Boulton back in the line-up, this team is soft without at least 2 of Boulton, Carkner, and Finley in every night, and Carkner's injured.
Yeah, what would we ever do without those 4 and a half minutes of ice time a night where each of those guys stand and watch everything and then get into one pre-determined wrestling match with the other teams useless goon?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolves View Post
Yup, the drunk college kids in "Loudville" are awful.
Just logged on and saw this post in response to the boos for Lubo on his first shift. Loudville and the section next to them that starts all the chants were the ones who drowned out the few boos with a chant of Lubo, not the ones who started it, i was sitting right below them and heard them.. there were no other boos that I heard for Lubo after his first shift.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Moulson and Okposo: Awful

Cizikas: Awesome

If I see Reasoner in for this guy again im gonna lose it.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Nabokov is horrible.

The Islanders look like a team without direction.

And I honestly don't think I can handle watching JT miss all of these chances. I mean, I understand he has no support. I'll give you that 7 days a week. But when your MAIN THREAT has a freaking penalty shot with 3 mintues left in the game, and instead of shooting, dekes and misses, why are we going to get on everybody else? This kid is here to win us hockey games.

There is just so much wrong with the Islanders/organizational structure/ team on the ice, that I don't even know why we waste our time rebuilding with Snow leading the way.

The Islanders legitimately need a new coach/GM/owner, combo of all 3, and a move to Brooklyn, before they can mend the curve as a team. Because they will forever be stuck in this cycle of mediocre crap under this regime. Case closed. End of story.

BTW, Under Snow, every 1st round pick has been a bust except Tavares. Okposo is garbage, Nino looks very overrated, and Strome is too small for my liking. I won't even touch on Bailey, who may just be the worst first round pick of any team over the last decade.

At some point, I have to figure out what to do as a fan. I give this team everything. My time, my money, my support. But I don't get anything in return. Never have.

And you know what?

I probably never will. Talk about a thankless job. Because being a fan of THIS team is a thankless job.

I wonder who we take in the first round this year. Jones? Mackinnon? Does it even matter?

Puke. A thousand pukes for this organization.

Oh, and that fat slob Okposo, any professional team would have demoted/waived/or traded this loser by now. What a complete loser. He doesn't have any talent. Zero. He skates with one hand on the stick and can't even dump the puck in without looking like Gumby on skates. He is not only going the way of Comeau, he's about to bust so hard on us that if we don't get rid of him PRONTO we are going to wish so hard that we traded him when he was only -gagillion and 5 points deep it'll make our heads spin. I don't care if we trade him and he turns into Bure, GET HIM OFF THIS MOTHER ****ING TEAM. NOW.

Last edited by IslesBeBack*: 02-09-2013 at 11:00 PM.
IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:07 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
First full game I've been able to see this year (well... besides that NYR game, moving along). They always seem to win when I don't watch, maybe I should go back to that.

Some positives to take from this game, despite the frustrating outcome.

Team overall looks faster, I can confidently say they have above avg. team speed; haven't seen that in years. A product of player development IMO, oh, and something called Michael Grabner.

JT, what can you not like about his game. He is a complete offensive force out there in every facet. Whether he's powering down low, speeding through the neutral zone, sniping, slicing through defenders etc. He is a force (dangerous) in so many aspects, and is always creating out there. His wrister looks night and day compared to years past. Not to beat a dead horse, but these vast talents should be maximized with better wingers. Sigh.

Great transition game today, broke out of their zone crisply. Controlled most of the zone time, can't complain about that.

Outworked a listless Buffalo team, but lost. Still can't wrap my head around that.

Concerned about Nabby this year.

I've watched KO closely for years, was always my favorite player. I suspect his issues are mental; he's lacking confidence. He hasn't lost his talent, but perhaps confidence and will.

Lubo made a very nice debut; quick, jumps into the play on the weak side, quick stick, heavy slapper. Can only get better with acclimation (e.g. turnovers and timing).

Bailey also made an impressive debut. I'm starting to jump on that 'Bailey first line' bandwagon.

4th line and Ullstrom all strong games, and all drafted/developed properly.

Neilsen was always an undersized/strength 3rd liner, so his output should be no surprise.

And that's all I got.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:11 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Nabokov is horrible.

And I honestly don't think I can handle watching JT miss all of these chances. I mean, I understand he has no support. I'll give you that 7 days a week. But when your MAIN THREAT has a freaking penalty shot with 3 mintues left in the game, and instead of shooting, dekes and misses, why are we going to get on everybody else? This kid is here to win us hockey games.

There is just so much wrong with the Islanders/organizational structure/ team on the ice, that I don't even know why we waste our time rebuilding with Snow leading the way.

The Islanders legitimately need a new coach/GM/owner, combo of all 3, and a move to Brooklyn, before they can mend the curve as a team. Because they will forever be stuck in this cycle of mediocre crap under this regime. Case closed. End of story.

BTW, Under Snow, every 1st round pick has been a bust except Tavares. Okposo is garbage, Nino looks very overrated, and Strome is too small for my liking. I won't even touch on Bailey, who may just be the worst first round pick of any team over the last decade.

At some point, I have to figure out what to do as a fan. I give this team everything. My time, my money, my support. But I don't get anything in return. Never have.

And you know what?

I probably never will. Talk about a thankless job. Because being a fan of THIS team is a thankless job.

I wonder who we take in the first round this year. Jones? Mackinnon? Does it even matter?

Puke. A thousand pukes for this organization.

Oh, and that fat slob Okposo, any professional team would have demoted/waived/or traded this loser by now. What a complete loser. He doesn't have any talent. Zero. He skates with one hand on the stick and can't even dump the puck in without looking like Gumby on skates. He is not only going the way of Comeau, he's about to bust so hard on us that if we don't get rid of him PRONTO we are going to wish so hard that we traded him when he was only -gagillion and 5 points deep it'll make our heads spin. I don't care if we trade him and he turns into Bure, GET HIM OFF THIS MOTHER ****ING TEAM. NOW.
JT hit the post on the penalty shot what are you talking about not getting a shot off? Nabakov is awful though. So is Okposo. I dont know why you are calling him fat though because he's in unbelievable shape.

As far as Nino and Strome they both look really good. Both are tearing it up for their teams. Not many teenagers are impact NHL players.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Nabokov is horrible.

Are you really going to get on JT here? The advantage in a penalty shot goes to the goalie. Its freaking hard to score. He pulled a beautiful move and just missed hitting the post. I'm as frustrated as you are, but we all need to pull back cool our heads and evaluate when we are cooled off. We all are pissed off and know this team is terrible, but let's not go crazy here and call out players like JT for missing on a penalty shot.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Are you really going to get on JT here? The advantage in a penalty shot goes to the goalie. Its freaking hard to score. He pulled a beautiful move and just missed hitting the post. I'm as frustrated as you are, but we all need to pull back cool our heads and evaluate when we are cooled off. We all are pissed off and know this team is terrible, but let's not go crazy here and call out players like JT for missing on a penalty shot.
He's venting... people say crazy things when they're mad. Let him blow off the steam. He'll be back, and he knows JT is a franchise player.