HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#11 |Buffalo Sabres vs. New York Islanders | Feb 9 | 7 PM | L 3-2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 11:28 PM
  #576
pattyb91
Registered User
 
pattyb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
And I honestly don't think I can handle watching JT miss all of these chances. I mean, I understand he has no support. I'll give you that 7 days a week. But when your MAIN THREAT has a freaking penalty shot with 3 mintues left in the game, and instead of shooting, dekes and misses, why are we going to get on everybody else? This kid is here to win us hockey games.
What? If there is one player on this roster that deserves absolutely NO blame, it's John Tavares. He was the best player on the ice tonight, and that holds true about more games than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
BTW, Under Snow, every 1st round pick has been a bust except Tavares. Okposo is garbage, Nino looks very overrated, and Strome is too small for my liking. I won't even touch on Bailey, who may just be the worst first round pick of any team over the last decade.
First, Snow didn't draft Okposo so that point is moot.

Secondly, Strome is 6'0. Sure, he needs to bulk up, but saying that is a reason why he's a bust is ridiculous. He is nineteen and will be more than capable of handling himself in the NHL.

Finally, your last statement is baffling. Ok, Bailey's selection may not look the best right now, but it wasn't even the worst selection of the 2008 1st round let alone every pick over the past decade. Josh will likely be a really solid player for us this season.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:37 PM
  #577
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 932
vCash: 50
I'm in a glass case of emotion

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:04 AM
  #578
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
how the Islanders lost this game is criminal..

I am so frustrated that for once this team plays like all-stars all around, we still can't win. If we had just half as good a goalie as Ryan Miller is, we would have at least 3 more wins right now!

Please make Tim Thomas play for us!!

Overall, I'm still staying positive because both Bailey and Visnovsky looked very good tonight and if we continue to play like this (even with mediocre goaltending) we will find a way to win most games

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
  #579
GOLFWANG
Registered User
 
GOLFWANG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
lol at people blaming nabby saying he is worst goalie

a lot of goals this year has players right on his doorstep clear the crease dmen example: the 3rd goal tonight

and the games nabby shows up big the team didn't do crap

GOLFWANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:47 AM
  #580
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 500
There was a shift right after the BUF go ahead goal, I think it was the 3rd goal, where Tavares went fierce to the forecheck, forced a turnover, the BUF regains the puck as Moulson and Boyes casually waive a one handed stick at the puck carrier. Horrible to watch.

I like part of Boyes' game, he shows offensive potential, but his game without the puck is terrible. And so is Moulson's. they cannot be on the ice together, not against good teams and not with Tavares. And they played well tonight, while BUF was just terrible.

Okposo has no confidence and is making really poor decisions out there. Not as bad as Comeau was, but close.

Bailey should be with Tavares and Moulson. Good for everyone. Smart player.

Ullstrom has come back to earth, has looked ordinary, but would still be a wicked 4th line with Cizikas and Martin. Cizikas looks great out there.

Visnovsky will help this team. They move the puck so well with Vis and Hickey and no Carkner and Finley.

Terrible loss against a bad BUF team who played awful. This one hurts.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:11 AM
  #581
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
Daylight robbery losing this but the Isles lack of secondary scoring is really hurting this team. If they'd had some decent goalscorers they'd win games like these easily.

Moulson doesn't look half as sharp as he'd done in the past and defensively they really don't clear the crease enough.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:34 AM
  #582
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Daylight robbery losing this but the Isles lack of secondary scoring is really hurting this team. If they'd had some decent goalscorers they'd win games like these easily.

Moulson doesn't look half as sharp as he'd done in the past and defensively they really don't clear the crease enough.
Clearing the crease in today's NHL is a bit of a different animal, very difficult to do so without getting penalized. (You sort of have to box out with your lower half and kick/swipe puck away to corner in todays game)

This team 11 games in is COMPLETELY WIPED OUT. We saw it against the Rangers Thursday night. There isn't a lot of gas left for a lot of these guys, with the schedule how it is (4 or 5 games every week) players Like Moulson, Streit, Boyes, MacDonald, Okposo, Boyes are all logging 25 minutes a game most nights. While half of our roster barely gets 8-11 minutes.

After a while, when your dawg tired you get a little less sharp and a little late on the trigger (Moulsons open net, getting deflected is evidence of that tonight).

Also Nabokov is completely burnt, you cant absolve him from tonights third goal (like some are trying). A rested Nabokov makes that save 100 times out of 100.

He flat out has not been the same goaltender as last year, or even the first 6 games this year. He's fighting the puck a bit, and has been getting caught too deep in his net. He's tired.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:35 AM
  #583
pucky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Are you really going to get on JT here? The advantage in a penalty shot goes to the goalie. Its freaking hard to score. He pulled a beautiful move and just missed hitting the post. I'm as frustrated as you are, but we all need to pull back cool our heads and evaluate when we are cooled off. We all are pissed off and know this team is terrible, but let's not go crazy here and call out players like JT for missing on a penalty shot.
It sure wasn't JT's fault. The posts are just bad luck for the shooter. When you have 40+ shots on goal, it often means the goalie on the other team played well but for the team with the shots, they gotta finish. 12 saves on 15 shots is worse.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:12 AM
  #584
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
I wrote this after the Penguins game


Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I dont think they suck, or that they are the worst. But didnt this exact same thing happen last year? We won a few in the beginning and then went like 3-5 games where we were putting up 30+ shots while getting shutout or only scoring a goal. It basically looked like we werent "getting any favorable bounces", but in reality it was just piss poor net pressure.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:34 AM
  #585
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,907
vCash: 500
A few thoughts:

Ciz and Ullstrom are quietly becoming solid NHLers. Martin too, if he isn't there already.

I think Viz is going to, and quite quickly at that, win us over and make us all forget what happened.

Don't hate on Nabby. He's kept us in games where if we had some of our goalies of the past 2 seasons in net, we would've been blown out.

Bailey played like Okposo is supposed to. (And I loved it!)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:31 AM
  #586
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
A few thoughts:

Ciz and Ullstrom are quietly becoming solid NHLers. Martin too, if he isn't there already.

I think Viz is going to, and quite quickly at that, win us over and make us all forget what happened.

Don't hate on Nabby. He's kept us in games where if we had some of our goalies of the past 2 seasons in net, we would've been blown out.

Bailey played like Okposo is supposed to. (And I loved it!)
Those three guys you mentioned, Ullstrom, Cizikas, and Martin all look like they want the puck more than anyone else. They will literally fight tooth and nail for it. Their compete level is second to none on this team.

I used to chuckle when people said to put Matt Martin with Tavares, now I almost clamor for it. If Matty was a tad bit better of a skater I think it would be a forgone conclusion that the kid plays along side JT. I know Martin played with Stamkos in juniors, but that is juniors, different speed and different style of hockey. However, the kid has developed pretty nicely and deserves minutes over guys like Boyes and Okposo.

Heck, at the very least the kid can provide some sort of net presence.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
  #587
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Those three guys you mentioned, Ullstrom, Cizikas, and Martin all look like they want the puck more than anyone else. They will literally fight tooth and nail for it. Their compete level is second to none on this team.

I used to chuckle when people said to put Matt Martin with Tavares, now I almost clamor for it. If Matty was a tad bit better of a skater I think it would be a forgone conclusion that the kid plays along side JT. I know Martin played with Stamkos in juniors, but that is juniors, different speed and different style of hockey. However, the kid has developed pretty nicely and deserves minutes over guys like Boyes and Okposo.

Heck, at the very least the kid can provide some sort of net presence.
Like many, I've always thought Martin could be more than how he is currently utilized. What Martin can do that virtually no one else can do on this team is separate the puck from the man and do it with authority much of the time. I've also thought that he has underrated skill. It's not hard to imagine how he'd fit with JT because Johnny has the rare ability to adapt his game, he's no one trick pony. Martin could do the dirty work and open up time and space for our franchise.

If Martin does get a shot, I would hope that the other winger would be adept at entering the offensive zone and a penchant for playmaking. I'd love to see a Martin-Tavares-Bailey line. From the little I saw of that line with Cizikas last night, I liked what they brought. It would be also interesting to see Tavares in the role of finisher on a line, he's always had Moulson in that spot. Also, Johnny would not have to share his office space in tight with Matty Ice all the time.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 08:47 AM
  #588
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 300
Vis looked good. Nabby not so much. Sadly we need DP to play a bit more to keep him fresh.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
  #589
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Like many, I've always thought Martin could be more than how he is currently utilized. What Martin can do that virtually no one else can do on this team is separate the puck from the man and do it with authority much of the time. I've also thought that he has underrated skill. It's not hard to imagine how he'd fit with JT because Johnny has the rare ability to adapt his game, he's no one trick pony. Martin could do the dirty work and open up time and space for our franchise.

If Martin does get a shot, I would hope that the other winger would be adept at entering the offensive zone and a penchant for playmaking. I'd love to see a Martin-Tavares-Bailey line. From the little I saw of that line with Cizikas last night, I liked what they brought. It would be also interesting to see Tavares in the role of finisher on a line, he's always had Moulson in that spot. Also, Johnny would not have to share his office space in tight with Matty Ice all the time.
Very good post, but the one thing I wanted to talk about is exactly what I made bold. The last sentence of your post is something that is highly forgotten about. Despite Johnny having a very nice snap/wrist shot, the kid does a lot of his work in front and around the cage and like you said we hardly get to see that because that is what Moulson occupies. I agree, mostly because, well Moulson is useless anywhere else.

Much like Stamkos whom buries that one timer shot from the circle (goalies right circle) JT would be scoring so many more goals if the kid was in his comfort area. With hands like JT's the kid needs to be allowed to play in that area and that is why Moulson needs to be booted from Johnny's line.

I like the idea of Bailey playing LW with Tavares more than anyone could ever imagine. I has suggested a line of Bailey/JT/Okposo but def would like to see Martin there as well.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
  #590
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Like many, I've always thought Martin could be more than how he is currently utilized. What Martin can do that virtually no one else can do on this team is separate the puck from the man and do it with authority much of the time. I've also thought that he has underrated skill. It's not hard to imagine how he'd fit with JT because Johnny has the rare ability to adapt his game, he's no one trick pony. Martin could do the dirty work and open up time and space for our franchise.

If Martin does get a shot, I would hope that the other winger would be adept at entering the offensive zone and a penchant for playmaking. I'd love to see a Martin-Tavares-Bailey line. From the little I saw of that line with Cizikas last night, I liked what they brought. It would be also interesting to see Tavares in the role of finisher on a line, he's always had Moulson in that spot. Also, Johnny would not have to share his office space in tight with Matty Ice all the time.
I rather have Bailey on LW since he's a playmaker.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
  #591
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Those three guys you mentioned, Ullstrom, Cizikas, and Martin all look like they want the puck more than anyone else. They will literally fight tooth and nail for it. Their compete level is second to none on this team.

I used to chuckle when people said to put Matt Martin with Tavares, now I almost clamor for it. If Matty was a tad bit better of a skater I think it would be a forgone conclusion that the kid plays along side JT. I know Martin played with Stamkos in juniors, but that is juniors, different speed and different style of hockey. However, the kid has developed pretty nicely and deserves minutes over guys like Boyes and Okposo.

Heck, at the very least the kid can provide some sort of net presence.
A Moulson-Boyes-Okposo 4th line? Now that's meritocracy at its finest.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:34 AM
  #592
DeanCrandall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Simple math 0/22 on PP, give us 3 or 4 goals and those loses are wins.

Remove Boyes off PP, Visnovsky going to help those numbers for sure

JT trying to do too much on PP, put Frans back out there (15 PPP last year), he sees the ice and finds Moulson or JT waiting to do what they do best.

Have I said I miss Parenteau (19 PPP last season)

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
  #593
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 50
I missed this game. First this season.

Anyway, I've seen the stats. What went wrong? :\

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  #594
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I rather have Bailey on LW since he's a playmaker.
I think both Bailey and Martin have been used on both wings. I don't think it's a big deal where they slot as long as the chemistry and style of play mesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Very good post, but the one thing I wanted to talk about is exactly what I made bold. The last sentence of your post is something that is highly forgotten about. Despite Johnny having a very nice snap/wrist shot, the kid does a lot of his work in front and around the cage and like you said we hardly get to see that because that is what Moulson occupies. I agree, mostly because, well Moulson is useless anywhere else.

Much like Stamkos whom buries that one timer shot from the circle (goalies right circle) JT would be scoring so many more goals if the kid was in his comfort area. With hands like JT's the kid needs to be allowed to play in that area and that is why Moulson needs to be booted from Johnny's line.

I like the idea of Bailey playing LW with Tavares more than anyone could ever imagine. I has suggested a line of Bailey/JT/Okposo but def would like to see Martin there as well.
Johnny's game is about puck possession and slowing the play down. While he seems to have added the ability to score off the rush, he is most effective in his sweet spot 5-10 feet around the net. I've always noticed that he has a lot of Phil Esposito in his game. His hands, hockey IQ, and bulldog relentlessness in that area is elite for NHL players.

He's proven to be the franchise player we all wanted (needed) when he was drafted, it would be nice to give him linemates that complement his style rather than inhibiting it. He's doing all the dirty work on his line - first in on the forecheck, engaging in puck battles (taking abuse in the process), and acting primarily as a playmaker. This guy has rare hockey IQ and vision, I'd rather he is freed up to use his tremendous gifts.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
  #595
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,439
vCash: 500
I want to see a big line switchup for Monday's game.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Okposo-Cizikas-Boyes
Martin-Aucoin-McDonald

I like the D pairings from last night:

MacDonald-Hamonic
Strait-Visnovsky
Hickey-Streit

And DP in net, sadly.

__________________

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
  #596
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I want to see a big line switchup for Monday's game.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Okposo-Cizikas-Boyes
Martin-Aucoin-McDonald

I like the D pairings from last night:

MacDonald-Hamonic
Strait-Visnovsky
Hickey-Streit

And DP in net, sadly.
No Question about the top 4 defenceman they are a notch or three above Hickey and Streit (Hickey played well against Buffalo, perhaps he is settling in now). I would switch Hamonic and Strait though.

I would really hate to punish Cizikas like that, saddling him with Okposo and Boyes, poor Casey will be chasing all night.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
  #597
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I want to see a big line switchup for Monday's game.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Okposo-Cizikas-Boyes
Martin-Aucoin-McDonald

I like the D pairings from last night:

MacDonald-Hamonic
Strait-Visnovsky
Hickey-Streit

And DP in net, sadly.
I really like these. Hope they're tried sooner than later.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:29 AM
  #598
JTforPres2012
Registered User
 
JTforPres2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Waking up today, it's just sad to see this team fall so fast. A week ago they were five minutes away from notching another point and now it's a free-fall with all optimism down the drain.

Same old Isles.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
  #599
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Waking up today, it's just sad to see this team fall so fast. A week ago they were five minutes away from notching another point and now it's a free-fall with all optimism down the drain.

Same old Isles.
Garth can change all of this. This is what kills me.

Trade Okposo, 2013 1st rounder for stud defenseman.

Make lucrative offer to Corey Perry in off-season.

Promote Matt Donovan.

Right there you've already improved the team... BUT WE DON'T MAKE TRADES. OR LOOK TO IMRPOVE THE TEAM.

Wang is A-ok with what goes on around here.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:36 AM
  #600
JTforPres2012
Registered User
 
JTforPres2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Garth can change all of this. This is what kills me.

Trade Okposo, 2013 1st rounder for stud defenseman.

Make lucrative offer to Corey Perry in off-season.

Promote Matt Donovan.

Right there you've already improved the team... BUT WE DON'T MAKE TRADES. OR LOOK TO IMRPOVE THE TEAM.

Wang is A-ok with what goes on around here.
And that's what happens when there is a culture of losing in the locker room. Only person I see that constantly seems visibly pissed off is JT and that's what will happen when you have a coach that doesn't show emotion and stops people like Weight from screaming or igniting any fire into the team.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.