HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2000 Draft, Top Ten Picks

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Venom_17

vCash: 500
2000 Draft, Top Ten Picks

http://forecaster.ca/thescore/hockey...t-2000-miscues

Visnovsky and Frolov are considered in this article to be two of the top ten picks in that draft. Pretty good from a Kings' perspective.

Old
03-16-2005, 10:53 PM
jfont

Awards:
i don't know about frolov being no. 2...i'd put him behind gaborik...if gaborik was with the kings instead of frolov, watch out.

03-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Awesome. Yeah I like that list....

Old
03-16-2005, 11:21 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
i don't know about frolov being no. 2...i'd put him behind gaborik...if gaborik was with the kings instead of frolov, watch out.
Gaborik has gamebreaking talent, but in my opinion, the stock of holdouts drop significantly. I really hate players who pull those stunts.

Pure talent would go to Gaborik, but as an overall player, I'd take Frolov.

Old
03-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This reminds me of a funny discussion that took place on the Prospects Board a year back. Nashville fans actually believed that Adam Hall would be a better player than Frolov, and they would take Hall over Alex. Funny stuff right there.

Old
03-17-2005, 12:59 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

for some reason when u mentioned adam hall, i thouht of razor ramon (aka scott hall). i was bout ot comment i didn't think he played hockey...

Old
03-17-2005, 01:02 AM
jt

Also, Frolov is better than Gaborik on special teams. Frolov got a full extra minute per game of PK and that's because he can handle it. The next season (if there ever is one) will see Frolov get all the PP time he can handle. He'd going to be up near 20 minutes a game.

The real test is whether you would trade one for the other and I wouldn't trade Frolov for Gaborik. Two years ago I would have...but not now.

Old
03-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
This reminds me of a funny discussion that took place on the Prospects Board a year back. Nashville fans actually believed that Adam Hall would be a better player than Frolov, and they would take Hall over Alex. Funny stuff right there.
Ah the memories. :lol

03-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
I got people really upset with me in that Adam Hall Vs Alex Frolov thread :lol

Old
03-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Yeah those were some good times. Hall will be a fine 3rd line checker who can chip in with 15-20 goals. Frolov on the other hand... well, I don't think I need to say much regarding his potential.
I don't think anyone who has watched Frolov play would take Adam Hall over him (Besides Predators fans, they're the only ones who would).

Old
03-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Yeah those were some good times. Hall will be a fine 3rd line checker who can chip in with 15-20 goals. Frolov on the other hand... well, I don't think I need to say much regarding his potential.
I don't think anyone who has watched Frolov play would take Adam Hall over him (Besides Predators fans, they're the only ones who would).
People who rely only on numbers always end up looking like idiots. "Hall had 14 goals! Frolov only had 15!"

You're right about Hall. He's the type of player that you'd like to have on your team, but come on the difference is their skill level is huge.

Note-My post is in total agreement with yours. I don't want you to take the first part wrong

Old
03-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
People who rely only on numbers always end up looking like idiots. "Hall had 14 goals! Frolov only had 15!"

You're right about Hall. He's the type of player that you'd like to have on your team, but come on the difference is their skill level is huge.

Note-My post is in total agreement with yours. I don't want you to take the first part wrong
I completely know what you are saying. I prefer to see what a player can do rather than read a bunch of numbers that don't tell the whole story. And for those who like big numbers, check out Patrick Roy's stats in juniors. Look at Rob Blake's numbers during his freshman season at Bowling Green. I bet nobody would say "Here's a future Norris Trophy candidate" by just looking at his freshman numbers today. If there were scouts out there who judged how good a player is just because of his numbers, well, they'd be cheating their organization.

Which is why I tend not to focus too much on the numbers... especially in regards to our European prospects. You want to hear and see them developing, earning loads of ice time in many different situations. You guys are well aware of this... just go back and read the posts about Boyle and his lack of production during his freshman season at BC. And I want to clarify that I don't disregard statistics... they hold a lot of merit and stats don't lie, but they can be deceiving. See Rob Brown as an example...

Old
03-17-2005, 06:18 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
http://forecaster.ca/thescore/hockey...t-2000-miscues

Visnovsky and Frolov are considered in this article to be two of the top ten picks in that draft. Pretty good from a Kings' perspective.

interesting list.Going into that draft,I had Gaborik at the top of my wishlist.

I don't know much about Frolov.What are his strengths and weakness?

Old
03-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
interesting list.Going into that draft,I had Gaborik at the top of my wishlist.

I don't know much about Frolov.What are his strengths and weakness?
Very strong, deceptive skater looks slow but is quicker than average. Getting a better shot, was addicted to wrap arounds his rookie year. Becoming a great 2 way forward.

Weaknesses- He would take some shifts and games off, but that is becoming less and less frequent

Last edited by Old Hickory: 03-17-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Old
03-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

..Needs to diversify his shooting array, and shoot more often.

Old
03-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Frolov really isn't the greatest skater... he has an awkward skating style (much like what has been said about Jason Allison's skating)... he doesn't have blazing speed or have the flashy style of a Gaborik, but as already mentioned, he is very strong and he can protect the puck well, but I believe he can still get stronger and have better coordination while carrying the puck and fending off defenseman.

His passing game is underrated and has improved since his rookie year. He is patient with the puck and he isn't afraid to mix it up in the corners or in front of the net, and he has paid the price numerous times, yet still somehow emerges with the puck.
He isn't all that physical and you will rarely see him throwing his body around, but he's always in the right position, whether in the offensive or defensive zone, and he has demonstrated to be a very quick learner and has adapted to the North American style of gameplay rather quickly, and he has not looked out of place, which is why he was never demoted to Manchester during his rookie season.

He is far from being a one-dimensional player and was used quite often on the penalty kill and he was effective at it covering the points and using his long reach to poke passes away (one of which I recall was a cross ice pass he picked off and scored on a shorthanded breakaway against the Canucks).

My expectation of Frolov next season is to improve up to 25-30+ goals and 55-60+ points. His average ice time should also increase and he will see more time on the special teams.

Old
03-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Frolov really isn't the greatest skater... he has an awkward skating style (much like what has been said about Jason Allison's skating)... he doesn't have blazing speed or have the flashy style of a Gaborik, but as already mentioned, he is very strong and he can protect the puck well, but I believe he can still get stronger and have better coordination while carrying the puck and fending off defenseman.
Last year Luc said something to the effect of Fro's strength on the puck couldn't help but remind him of Jagr's ability to control it.

Old
03-18-2005, 08:10 AM
CREW99AW

thanks for the scouting reports.

I didn't remember him standing out in the last Kings/Isles game.I'm not even sure if he played,but in last Sept.'s US vs. Russia WC game, he looked impressive.

Closed Thread