HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Eller Skip/Replace Gionta on Depth Chart?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 07:59 AM
  #1
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Should Eller Skip/Replace Gionta on Depth Chart?

I'd like to see this happen giving us 4 top 6 wingers all over 6' and able to play a good mix of power and finesse.

Eller Pleky Bourque
Patch DD Cole
Gio AGally BGally
Prust White Moen

Armstrong
Nokia

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:03 AM
  #2
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,347
vCash: 500
If there is a player to be moved off he top 6 right now it's Cole, not Gio

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:06 AM
  #3
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,047
vCash: 500
Umm no. Putting Eller instead of Gionta on the 2nd line would kill everything. One's a puck mover, one's a shooter and one is really good at going to the net and battling along the boards. Don't mess with a winning recipe..

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:11 AM
  #4
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
If there is a player to be moved off he top 6 right now it's Cole, not Gio
I think Cole will come around but has enough size that hes still contributing in other ways, Gio however when he's not scoring he's not bringing as much and I think both Gallys could benefit there development from playing with Gio (Leadership, Heart ect.) and it also allows Eller to take next staple without making trades. Plus AGally would have another sniper to set up and it could spark Gio as well who knows. Just my thoughts is all

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:15 AM
  #5
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I think Cole will come around but has enough size that hes still contributing in other ways, Gio however when he's not scoring he's not bringing as much and I think both Gallys could benefit there development from playing with Gio (Leadership, Heart ect.) and it also allows Eller to take next staple without making trades. Plus AGally would have another sniper to set up and it could spark Gio as well who knows. Just my thoughts is all
Gionta was the only player playing hard around Chara and the only one that went to hit him the other night despite being a midget

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:17 AM
  #6
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 500
I'm not huge gio fan, but he's been fine imo. He's fine on that line. I would split the DD, Patches, Cole line if we're looking for more balance.

The problem is, I don't see where DD fits if you remove those wingers from him.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:18 AM
  #7
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Gionta was the only player playing hard around Chara and the only one that went to hit him the other night despite being a midget
I saw him try to hit Chara a couple times the other night, Id just like to see Eller get into the top 6 and Gio seems like the easiest to bump down, theres still things that Cole brings that Gio just can't do

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:19 AM
  #8
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,641
vCash: 500
Eller should move up with DD and Cole. The three finally gained some solid chemistry and the line was broken up the next game. I'd move Pacioretty down with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. For a couple of games to experiment because the "first line" hasn't done anything all year so far.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:20 AM
  #9
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Eller should move up with DD and Cole. The three finally gained some solid chemistry and the line was broken up the next game. I'd move Pacioretty down with Gallagher and Galchenyuk. For a couple of games to experiment because the "first line" hasn't done anything all year so far.
i wouldnt mind seeing that either, they did play well together and im not 100% convinced that Patches is really back to 100% yet so third line might be a little easier on him for now to get back up to speed

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:21 AM
  #10
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,935
vCash: 500
umm no

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  #11
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,628
vCash: 500
If Eller's not a center, he needs to be a RW... Every scoring chance he gets is from the RW. He can protect the puck easier and drive the net down that wing. If he's going to be LW, he's going to fail.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  #12
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
I don't think Plekanec can be expected to do his thing against the opposition's best without either Gionta or Pacioretty on his line.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:34 AM
  #13
thebinne4pres
Registered User
 
thebinne4pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,490
vCash: 500
Gio is fine by me where he is.
This line is the bread and butter of the team so far.

And i wouldn't place him on a line with Gallagher....both are too small to play together.

If i would move Eller, it would be to take DD spot!

thebinne4pres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:36 AM
  #14
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Gio is fine by me where he is.
This line is the bread and butter of the team so far.

And i wouldn't place him on a line with Gallagher....both are too small to play together.

If i would move Eller, it would be to take DD spot!
But then what would you do with DD and who would play with the Gallys?

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
  #15
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Eller be given a good opportunity on top lines regularly. As see a lot of talent in him...but don't know the best fit yet

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:43 AM
  #16
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Eller should be playing center
I'd give him a shot with Cole and Pacioretty.
DD hasn't managed to get that line going, give Eller 3 games to see if he can.
Can you Imagine 3 guys with Size AND Speed bearing down on you?
I can, and I'm willing to give it a try

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
  #17
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,074
vCash: 500
Eller to the wing is okay, as long as he plays RW.

An eventual G-G-G line doesn't make much sense. You cannot have 2 players under 5'9 on the same line, even though they're crease crashers.

I'd like to see him with DD and MP, though I'm not quite sure what to do then. BG - AG - EC could be worth a try, though.

On the other hand, Gionta... I don't know. Some express doubts regarding DD as a Top-6 player going forward. I have more doubts regarding Gio as a Top-6 forward to be honest, unless he plays a pure support role. The problem is, the support player on his current line is Bourque, so...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:46 AM
  #18
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Eller should be playing center
I'd give him a shot with Cole and Pacioretty.
DD hasn't managed to get that line going, give Eller 3 games to see if he can.
Can you Imagine 3 guys with Size AND Speed bearing down on you?
I can, and I'm willing to give it a try
That basically means you end up with a BG - DD - AG, or BG - AG - DD line. I don't think I need to explain why this is a failure.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:48 AM
  #19
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin
 
AllanMTL46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
Country: Canada
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
How about this?

Gionta - Plekanec - Bourque
Eller - DD - Cole
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - White - Moen
Armstrong
Nokia

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:56 AM
  #20
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
That basically means you end up with a BG - DD - AG, or BG - AG - DD line. I don't think I need to explain why this is a failure.
Not quite, I think it means that DD sits a game or two or replaces White on the 4th line

RB - TP - BG
EC - LE - MP
BG -AG - BP
TM -RW -CA

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:58 AM
  #21
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Not quite, I think it means that DD sits a game or two or replaces White on the 4th line

RB - TP - BG
EC - LE - MP
BG -AG - BP
TM -RW -CA
I think we can safely say that this won't happen, due to Therrien being a good coach?

Besides, inserting RW in the lineup at the moment, considering what happened, is basically scratching DD for the sake of scratching DD because he is DD. Needless to say, it's a VERY stupid idea, no to mention that the idea of sending a message means that EC needs to sit before DD...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:02 AM
  #22
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I think we can safely say that this won't happen, due to Therrien being a good coach?
It won't happen cux the DD-MP-EC line is doing sooo well?
You're kidding me, it should happen because of the way they're playing!
It gives that line a chance to shake things up, while only disrupting the 4th line IF and ONLY if you insert DD there.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:03 AM
  #23
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,785
vCash: 500
If Gionta was 6"2, 210lbs, would we be having this thread?
I, for one, love Gionta this year. Would like a little more points but Plekanec and Bourque are on fire playing with him so it evens things up. Also, he's pretty solid defensively and complements the other 2 very well.
Eller has just got out of the doghouse and if you give him to much to quick, I fear he could fall back to his old self. If anything, play Eller the the Gs little more while 5on5.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  #24
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
It won't happen cux the DD-MP-EC line is doing sooo well?
You're kidding me, it should happen because of the way they're playing!
It gives that line a chance to shake things up, while only disrupting the 4th line IF and ONLY if you insert DD there.

Why not scratch EC then? I mean, if the way of playing is what is really important here...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  #25
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Not quite, I think it means that DD sits a game or two or replaces White on the 4th line

RB - TP - BG
EC - LE - MP
BG -AG - BP
TM -RW -CA
DD has had his struggles, but he has done nothing to warrant being a healthy scratch. Personally, if the team continues to struggle, I'd be interested to try the following:

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta (been consistent all year)
Pacioretty - Eller - DD (moving DD to the wing can give him more space)
Cole - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (Cole has the size to support the rookies and they may be able to wake him up)
Armstrong/Prust - Prust/Armstrong - Moen (lack of a center could hurt, but good energy line overall)

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.