HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers vs Red Wings (Krueger Jumps the Shark)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 09:18 AM
poetryingasoline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is Saskatchewan is now deemed outside of the Oiler broadcast area?

I thought I remember reading how that was going to change with the Jets coming back into the league?
Would not shock me. I may have to get another tv package next year

Old
02-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Call your cable company for Center Ice right now. It is dirt cheap this year.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Most of Gagners points this season are the result of him passing the puck to Hemsky at mid ice, who then does something creative and Gagner gets a second assist, or else they are tap in goals. I remember when that used to work for Horcoff as well and got him a huge contract.

Gagner is going to get a huge payday. Maybe not as big as Horcoff, because Horc could win a faceoff and play defense.
Ugh, It's like it would kill some of you to give him even an iota of credit. He's played well, he's played like a good 2nd line center. He's played with a level of consistency that we've never seen before, he's playing a defensive game that we haven't really seen before.

Am I saying he deserves a big pay day or he's become invaluable, hardly, but give the ****ing kid some ****ing credit for being the most consistent Oilers forward and for having an excellent start to the season. Ugh with ****

Old
02-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
@
OILERS: 4-3-3 DETROIT: 5-4-1

Game Day: Saturday, February 9th, 2013
Game Time: 12:10pm mtn
Radio: 630 Ched.
TV: CBC

Hartikainen - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Eager - Vande Velde - Petrell
Yakupov - Smyth - Paajarvi

Smid - Petry
N Schutz - J Schultz
Potter - Fistric

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Filppula - Datsyuk - Andersson
Cleary - Abdelkader - Tatar
Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

Kronwall - Lashoff
Quincy - Ericsson
Kindle - White

Howard
Mrazek

Season series:
It's the first of three meetings between the teams this season. Detroit prevailed in three of their four meetings last season, with Drew Miller scoring four of his 14 goals against Edmonton. Sam Gagner had four goals to pace the Oilers in the series.

Big story: With an odd number of Canadian teams after Winnipeg's return to the NHL a season ago, Edmonton is the one out of seven that ends up facing a U.S.-based opponent on Hockey Day In Canada. The Oilers and Red Wings have developed a decent rivalry over the years, though -- it's hard to forget the upset eighth-seeded Edmonton pulled on Detroit in 2006 en route to the franchise's most recent trip to the Stanley Cup Final.

Team Scope:

Oilers: In his first season behind the Edmonton bench, coach Ralph Krueger has seen his young group battle hard in almost every game. Although they enter Saturday on a four-game winless streak, the points earned from the overtime/shootout losses kept them in the playoff race. Hosting the Stars on Wednesday, they got a goal and an assist from Ales Hemsky and took the game into overtime before yielding the record 17th career overtime goal by Jaromir Jagr in a tough 3-2 setback.

"It wasn't the greatest effort from us," defenseman Justin Schultz, whose power-play goal in the third period helped earn the Oilers a point, said. "We found a way to come back in the third period, but we needed to find a way to win it."

Red Wings: The expectation is workhorse Jimmy Howard will be back in net for Detroit, but coach Mike Babcock finally was able to get him a night off Thursday in St. Louis, and he had to be heartened by the response he got from rookie Petr Mrazek. In his NHL debut, the 20-year-old stopped 26 shots and led the Red Wings to a relatively easy 5-1 win against the St. Louis Blues. Five different Wings scored goals and 11 had at least one point. Cory Emmerton finished with a goal and an assist.

"The thing I liked about the kid was that he didn't generate second chances for them," Babcock said of Mrazek. "The puck wasn't coming off. He was soft and under control. Good for the kid. It's not an easy League to play in and St. Louis is a real good team. I thought our guys played hard and battled hard and in the end got a real big win."

Who's hot: Gagner had an assist Tuesday to extend his points streak to start the season to 10 games (3-8-11). Hemsky has two goals and two assists during a three-game points streak. … Red Wings rookie Damien Brunner scored his fifth goal in 10 games Thursday.

Injury report: Edmonton forwards Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (shoulder), Darcy Hordichuk (facial laceration) and Anton Lander (foot), as well as defenseman Mark Fistric (back) all are day-to-day. Forwards Ryan Jones (eye), Ben Eager (concussion), Eric Belanger (foot) and Shawn Horcoff (hand), as well as defensemen Andy Sutton (knee) and Theo Peckham (hip) are on injured reserve. … Detroit goalies Joey MacDonald (back) and Jonas Gustavsson (groin) remain out, along with defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Brendan Smith (shoulder) and forwards Jan Mursak (collarbone), Mikael Samuelsson (groin) and Darren Helm (back)

No credit to Brian Hunter via NHL.com, this post seems like a pretty straight forward cut and paste job for fake internet points.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?i...vid=sb:preview

Old
02-09-2013, 09:52 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
I'm sure today will be the day that Det's bottom 6 gets it going, since they have like 1 point between the 6 of them on the season and everyone's been asking where they are. Oilers always seem to be "that team." I'm guessing 4-1 Det.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Cable provider has nothing to do with this. It's all on how the NHL/CBC breaks down the regions. They've got two games on the same time, as a national broadcaster they have to decide how to get the most viewers. Manitoba is exclusively Jets for Sportsnet purposes, but I can't tell how CBC is going to do this yet. I'm in Ontario, so I'm not sure which game is going to be shown in my region and I'm a bit worried since Ottawa is in the other game. CBC streams all of their games for this reason. And as another poster mentioned above, depending on Centre Ice you may be able to get the Detroit feed for the game but since this is a national broadcast I wouldn't be too sure.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
No credit to Brian Hunter via NHL.com, this post seems like a pretty straight forward cut and paste job for fake internet points.

I think its fairly obvious the text is from the NHL.com preview off the Oiler's site.

I only put the GDT up because nobody else was doing it.

Dont worry, I wont make that mistake again.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:05 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Please set up Yakupov for a shot off the draw if Belanger is taking the FO in the o zone. K thx.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Well, they're obviously not fake.

It's no Soli's Shortside, but we haven't had a problem utilizing the NHL or Oilers.NHL.com's pre-game rundown for years.

Thanks for citing!

Appreciate the GDT, IATL!

Old
02-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
None of the players you listed are better than Gagner "now" and we have yet to see if they match or exceed Sams NHL career performance. I have seen Gagner dipsy doodeling goaltenders and scoring points for 5 years here now. What have I seen from the Rookies? I have watched Gagner adapt through many coaches, and what of the Kids?

Sam Gagner has produced points by catalysing the offense when he is on the ice from within the system the Oilers are playing. He has shown his abilitys yet again this year, remember we are around 20 gms into a regular season and Sam is leading the team in scoring and has been the most consistant performer over 60 mins every night. If all the players you listed were better "now" then where exactly are they on the points leaderboard?

Sam started evolving to the next level two years ago, and hasnt stopped. Gagner is just lurking , waiting to bust out with multiple point nights, he has established an offensive baseline and is just maintaining his predatory edge and waiting for the right system to exploit at the right time.

It is difficult to explain the absolute drop off in offensive consistancy above and below the 2nd line, Krueger is protecting himself and not splitting up Gagner and Hemmer because if he does then we will all see Gagner for what he is, the teams catalyst. Mother Nature and evolution are forces not things you can stop. Gagner will manifest offense from within the system no matter who you put with him and he will magnify their skillsets in doing so.

Sam has silenced the critics already this year and now we are waiting to see how far he will climb this year, that will become the focus of Gagner conversations very soon. Put it this way, if we do trade Gagner you can be sure it will be to a serious cup contender and he will be wearing a ring long before the rest of this core group, gauranteed. Will we trade him at some point? Anything is possible, but I doubt he will let us, if he continues to lead this ultra-talented group the way he has so far then we will be forced to address his intangible value to the team as whole and trading him wont be an easily accepted option.
[I remember a skinny young kid who rode into town wearing what looked like a coat of many colors of hockey skills that turned out to be an icon, no single Gretzky skill was overwhelming, but all were average and constant works in progress that kept evolving as he kept honing them and working hard on them. If my eyes arent decieving me I am seeing Gagner developing along a very very similar curve as a player. If we can get teammates to catalyse offense from within the system the same way Gagner is then we will see a major evolution for the Oilers, if we dont do this then we will remain a bi-polar team until Nuge can mature and try what Sam is trying to do, lead the team using the vision and on ice presense that our team style is designed to catalyse around. Our lack of organisational preparedness is sorely evident in a lack of defined homegrown leadership on the team, if fact we have lost continuity of leadership evolution and the refusal to give a player in Sams position the C evidences this.

Horcoff was our achilles heel from an evolutionary learership perspective and no one stopped to consider the critical need to allow an Oilers style of offensive perspective the chance to lead here, we need to let our leaders be identified and treated as leaders. Keeping Gagner and Hemmer together is an example of this dynamic, we need to see how Gagner manifests offense with other players so we can define who is catalysing that line right now as it leads this team, Ralph will lead you to believe it might be Hemsky because he has kept the line together beyond reason and refused to try to balance team scoring by moving Hemmer and allowing him to catalyse the offense of another line. I say it is clearly Sam catalysing the 2nd line that is leading the team and if this is so then we need to allow this dynamic to mature naturally instead of having the coach mess with our teams ability to define our leaderships evolution by keeping two line catalysts together and Muddying the waters.

With all the recent injuries we need a total line reset anyways.
The 1st,3rd and 4th lines have been so offensively inconsistant it is scary.
We are like a four year old walking around with a loaded gun, anything can happen at any time, so who knows what team personality shows up today, maybe shaking up the lines will give us more balanced scoring depth and change something we were missing chemistry wise.

If Dubby doesnt stay up off his knees we will get shredded because obviously thats what the scouting reports are saying about him judging by the spots multiple teams are targeting regularly with great sucess to the point of sacrificing o-zone entry tactics for the mid-range high wrister from anywhere in front of the net. The defense needs to adjust to this and Freddy Chabot needs to get to work on his goaltenders presentation.

If we can get any decent secondary scoring we will be ok, if we see Yakupov anywhere out of the top 6 at any time this year we are doomed, it looks like MPS and Yak have a Krueger target on their jerseys, Hemmers and Hartis have little gold stars beside their names though. Split up Gagner and Hemmer so we can see who is really catalysing the 2nd line. Put MPS on the 2nd line so we can see what he brings to Sam and Yakupov with his speed and size and ability to be effective without the puck on his stick all night long.

Hartikainen is showing tremendous battle but is not top 6 material although he sells himself pretty well, Harti is a role player at best in the NHL he needs to be harnessed into that role, MPS isnt compteting with Harti anyplace but in Kruegers head, MPS is a legitimate NHL defensive forward like Harti is a legitimate energy guy. Theres trouble in the Henhouse this year and its coming from a lack of intuative dynamic analysis by managment. Glad to point it out for posteritys sake as we will want to review later this season now wont we all. The decision to keep Hemmer on the 2nd line and not show confidence that Gagner could catalyse the 2nd line on his own denied us the chance to provide a balanced scoring attack by injecting Hemmer into the 3rd line and bringing MPS up to the 2nd line. This almost buried us and still might, injuries are shaking our focus right now and blurring the picture but the fact still remains that I am calling Ralph Krueger on the one thing he has failed and refused to do and that is to micro- manage the teams offensive assets linewise adequately and move Hemmer to the 3rd line where he would have fit with Smyth and Horcs, now with a chance at a total line reset due to injurys we need to see Hemmer and Gagner seperated and catalysing offense on their own lines and supporting each other not cancelling out each others effectiveness by being forced to project their skillsets from the same line. Without beginning to take a more intuative perspective to heart from a team managment perspective this season is a wash already, and its just important that we document why so we can correct later. We are not and have not beyond the 3rd game made a rational attempt to create a balanced scoring dynamic on this club. We have had a knee-jerk reaction and tightened up around the 2nd lines leadership and refused to consider breaking it up to build a balanced 3rd line attack, purely coaching decisions made with all the data available, this one is all on Ralph who seems willing to ride out the storm and go down with the ship. Hopfully all the injuries shake up the dynamic line structure enough to balance our scoring out a little.

4-3 Detroit.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Sweet Zombie Jesus if we wouldn't quote tl;dr posts we'd get more than 5 posts per page.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Aerchon

Hartikainen - RNH - Eberle: Always liked this line. Have high hopes for it.

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky: I think this is pretty much the same as with Yak in it...Except less chemistry. Hopefuly Halls beastliness adds enough to make this a sucess.

Eager - Vande Velde - Petrell: As fourth lines go this is a decent one.

Yakupov - Smyth - Paajarvi: I like this line. Smyth is slow so put him with 2 fast players. Yak is bad defensively so put him with a Symth and MP. MP has trouble producing enough grit and offense so put him with those 2. This line really does have everything. Will it have chemistry. We will see. But they compliment each other very very well.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Sweet Zombie Jesus if we wouldn't quote tl;dr posts we'd get more than 5 posts per page.
The number of posts per page is not affected by post length. Twenty-five posts per page.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
488fitter

Quote:

Unreal.

For a game that starts at noon, I appreciate an early GDT. Thanks IATL.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:28 AM
Oiled up*

Idk what to think about the lines, but sometimes change is good. Not too fond of the 3rd line but it will be interesting to see how Yakupov plays in the Belanger triangle. Lines 1+2 look alright... i think Hartsi will create space for RNH and Ebs to work their magic but we will see today. 4-3 Oilers win in regulation with RNH scoring the game winner and getting out of his funk!!!

Old
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry84 View Post
Yeah the bottom 6 in practice without VV were...

Paajarvi - Belanger - Yak
Eager - Smyth - Petrell

With Yak getting time on the right side, I think...
U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, that's ugly!

Old
02-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Jeff Lebowski

We've got to win today and get off this slide. We are starting to dig ourselves a hole.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:51 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

4-2 Wings

Oilers get 2 ES goals from Hall and RNH but not enough as a desperate veteran club in the Wings get 2 from Datsyuk and Fransen (one empty netter)

Old
02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Rpro

Expecting an Oilers loss and a poorly officiated game.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

True that.

I don't think the Oilers will win, which will naturally result in how Gagner isn't good enough, Kruger should be fired, Why haven't we bought out Horcoff yet, and of course, "I did this on NHL 13, Tambo should do this as well".

Oh, and the draft pick. can't forget about the draft pick!

Old
02-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

@Bad Medicine

When has Dubnyk been shredded? I know there was one lousy period. Where else?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:22 AM
oilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I'm sure today will be the day that Det's bottom 6 gets it going, since they have like 1 point between the 6 of them on the season and everyone's been asking where they are. Oilers always seem to be "that team." I'm guessing 4-1 Det.
Nope. They were combined for 6 points in the first period of there last game. So they obviously won't get any points todaay

Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
@Bad Medicine

When has Dubnyk been shredded? I know there was one lousy period. Where else?
oh oh....get ready for an essay in response.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
I know that the Oilers haven't played well lately, but the Wings lineup isn't as terrifying as it once was. First time in twenty years that we can reasonably expect the Oilers not to be thoroughly outplayed against them.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Markous
My Posse's on Whyte

vCash: 50
Never did hear what happened to Tom.

Quote:
Today marks the first Edmonton-Detroit game since former #Oilers head coach Tom Renney become associate coach with the #RedWings

Closed Thread