Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Very long Offseason in NFL

Old
02-09-2013, 04:10 AM
alko

vCash: 500
Very long Offseason in NFL

Hi guys.

Im folloving a little bit also NFL, mostly Detroit Lions.
After every season im asking always the same question - why is the offseason sooooo long?

Lets take the Lions. Their last regular season game was on 30.12.2012. Now the fans have to wait 9 months to the next game! 9 Months!!!

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

16 game season, what do you propose? 4 bye weeks?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

OFfseason's always long in football

Physical game

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Clowe Me

4 weeks pre, 17 weeks reg, 3 weeks playoffs, 2 weeks sb (1 bye). adds up to 26 weeks. If your team misses out, only 21. With 52 weeks in a year, that leaves a lot of offseason.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
If you're a die-hard and you're all in from pre-season, it's only 5 1/2 months

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Baseball season passes by so fast football will be here before you know it

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

Time flies

football will be here before you know it

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:39 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
OFfseason's always long in football

Physical game
Thats also ice hockey. And they play 82 games in a season (NHL).

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:52 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I would personally love to see a schedule where there is 1 or 2 games everyday during the week but I'm not sure how it would work if all teams didnt get atleast 6 days between games.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:09 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Football is just a tad more physical than hockey.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:10 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Football is just a tad more physical than hockey.
This is something that gets battled back and forth and is something that'll never be settled. I, personally, feel hockey is more physical. Maybe the running backs take a bigger beating or a WR that get's the majority of the passes, but hockey players are also getting hit left and right. football players are bigger though, so I will say they hit harder. Top it off with hockey players playing 3/4 times a week to footballs once (and only 16 games to 82), I think that gives the overwhelming edge to hockey in overall toughness/physicality of the sport.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:21 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I've played both and you get more hits in hockey over the course of the game (unless you're a lineman in football) but good hits in football are much worse than in hockey imo.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 01:48 AM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I've played both and you get more hits in hockey over the course of the game (unless you're a lineman in football) but good hits in football are much worse than in hockey imo.
I agree with that for sure. Huge football hits are much more than huge hockey hits. I just see the long term of the season being tougher on a hockey player. Playing both, do you agree?

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

If they doubled games up would people be happy?

I think not. Quality would likely go down due to more injuries. NFL is fine as it is. Long offseason but it's needed really.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:08 PM
m9

Hits in football are way worse because feet are planted while hockey is on skates. Absorbing hits on ice is 10x easier than on the football field.

I kind of like the suggestion of the longer NFL season with more byes. 20 weeks, 4 bye weeks.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Opening week 2013 will be here before you know it. It is always this way.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
its really not the same. There's usually 4 or 5 noteworthy hits in a single hockey game, and that occurs on every play in football. In hockey only a handful of players even play a third of a game, in football only a handful aren't on the field for half the game.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:31 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
This is something that gets battled back and forth and is something that'll never be settled. I, personally, feel hockey is more physical. Maybe the running backs take a bigger beating or a WR that get's the majority of the passes, but hockey players are also getting hit left and right. football players are bigger though, so I will say they hit harder. Top it off with hockey players playing 3/4 times a week to footballs once (and only 16 games to 82), I think that gives the overwhelming edge to hockey in overall toughness/physicality of the sport.
Everyone on the DL/OL is hit on every single play. There's also at least one hit (the ball carrying) on every non-TD.

Almost everyone gets hit on special teams plays.

Football is way harder on your body. Outside of a QB, how many guys make it more than 10 years? Now how many hockey players make it more than 10 years? Exactly.

I'd like to see the season one week longer though. Add a second bye week and use exclusively for Thursday games.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

I suggest you take up following the CFL to help pass the time in the off-season.

Fuzzy Bunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Shameus

Part of what makes fall great is college Saturdays and pro Sundays. I don't want to mess with it because I don't want sports over load. Every March is March Madness and I look forward to that. I still follow hockey, soccer, & baseball and just think you have to give the other sports their places. I agree with Duke, follow the CFL or Arena if you need a fix. I also agree with the NFL expanding its brand like crazy though. I can give two examples of how the NFL has blown up in popularity in just the last decade.

1) This year's Senior Bowl weigh in & height measurement was held in a ball room at the local convention center and covered by media & team staffs. They even had to bring in bleachers to put in the back to accommodate everyone. Every year before this it was held in some random hallway at the stadium where the game was held and only people there were league officials who would then send the info to the teams.

2) The draft combine in Indy. I remember reading Peter King talk about the changes to the combine last year or the year before. He talked about how late 90s early 00s that there would be a pool of a dozen or so reporters, mostly national but a few from the larger publications. Now though the press credentials number in the hundreds and the entire drill events are broadcast live.

The NFL is bigger than ever. More coverage than anything outside a natural disaster or killer storm.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Everyone on the DL/OL is hit on every single play. There's also at least one hit (the ball carrying) on every non-TD.

Almost everyone gets hit on special teams plays.

Football is way harder on your body. Outside of a QB, how many guys make it more than 10 years? Now how many hockey players make it more than 10 years? Exactly.

I'd like to see the season one week longer though. Add a second bye week and use exclusively for Thursday games.
Let's also not forget that football players basically don't wear pads. Usually players wear the smallest possible shoulder pads and girdle they can fit into.

With regards to your point about the longevity of football players, let me mention that if you play at the NFL level for ten years your odds of living a healthy, normal life (or even something close to that) are slim to none.

Football is an absolute war, and that's something I dont think everybody understands.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Let's also not forget that football players basically don't wear pads. Usually players wear the smallest possible shoulder pads and girdle they can fit into.

With regards to your point about the longevity of football players, let me mention that if you play at the NFL level for ten years your odds of living a healthy, normal life (or even something close to that) are slim to none.

Football is an absolute war, and that's something I dont think everybody understands.
Fully agreed - they don't have the longevity because it's just simply not possible. They're too beat up.

Pollard re-broke SIX ribs on the first play of the Superbowl and didn't miss a snap... and that's probably minor compared to other things that won't even be reported.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote