HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part VI)

View Poll Results: Why can't we reset polls?
Cause HF is too awesome to change anything. 1 1.52%
That would make too much sense. 12 18.18%
Part of the new CBA. 12 18.18%
Might crash the database. 4 6.06%
Marty's fault. 31 46.97%
Yes, you can stack the votes, but you can't UNVOTE everyone and let people vote again. 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Is it weird that I thought that was Bieber at first?
you and I both

Old
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
NJDEVIL

do we know next yrs winter classic yet? I got to figure Vanderbeek is fighting for it! Love that guy!

Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
It's definitely Detroit-Toronto, it was just postponed a year.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

do you think lou would ever go for '24/7'? i doubt it

Old
02-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Regarding that Marty article, which was fantastic, found these quotes interesting

Both of these quotes pretty much sum up why most goaltenders around the league are as inconsistent and just average goaltenders including some goaltender we know a few miles away;
Quote:
the butterfly, in which the goaltender, often wearing extra-large pads and chest protector, drops to his knees and fans out his legs, blocking the lower part of the net while fending off higher shots with his arms and upper body [...] Jacques Caron, then the goalie coach for the Devils, who frowns on the butterfly. "Those guys, they just throw themselves where they think the puck is going to be," he told me. "Marty knows where it's going to be."
Quote:
"Quick can't play like that in 20 years," Caron said, referring to Jonathan Quick, the aptly named Los Angeles Kings goalie, who won the Stanley Cup M.V.P. last year after his team defeated the Devils in six games. "In 20 years their backs will go, their knees will go. I think Marty is smart enough to readjust his play according to what he can't do. Your reflexes go a little bit, but by being in the right position and in the flow of the game, it compensates for a lot of that."
This one is a classic dead on Lou quote;
Quote:
Lamoriello told me: "I don't look at age as a number. I have a couple of 19- and 20-year-olds out there who are going on 25 in terms of maturity, and I have 28- and 29-year-olds who are going on 15. You have to consider the mental and physical condition of an athlete, how he takes care of himself. Look at Jeter or Mariano Rivera. It's the person associated with the age, not the age itself

Old
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Zach Braff is a fan. Now we just need Turk!

Old
02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
foxboro24

I wish people would ackowledge Brodeur as one of the best athletes in New York more if only ESPN knew the NHL existed

Old
02-21-2013, 12:46 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post

Zach Braff is a fan. Now we just need Turk!
Eeeeeaaaaaaaaglllleeeeee!

Old
02-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Emperoreddy
Mr. Snrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Regarding that Marty article, which was fantastic, found these quotes interesting

Both of these quotes pretty much sum up why most goaltenders around the league are as inconsistent and just average goaltenders including some goaltender we know a few miles away;

This one is a classic dead on Lou quote;
The one about Quick was a Chico quote I think, they referred to him a bunch in that article. Loved the Lou stuff.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Devils Insiders

Henrik Tallinder needs to go. He's been a huge bust and has a limited skillset. Jeff O'Connor explains more at Devils Insiders:

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/02/21/the-view-from-116-tallinders-time-is-up/

Last edited by Devils Insiders: 02-21-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added link
Old
02-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

No, Tallinder does not need to go. He's struggled lately, but he's good for depth and when he re-finds his game he's the perfect middle-pairing two-way defenseman. I've always considered Tallinder to be the ceiling for Mark Fayne. I'm hoping Fayne can scrape out a career like Tallinder's.

I could understand if we move him for a top-9 forward, since that is a pressing need, but other than that it would be foolish to move him.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Richer's Ghost
McCleod is here

vCash: 369
I can see the future now, it has Zidlicky signed with the Jets, Tallinder traded to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick and then mid next season we're scrambling to figure out a good trade package for a Dman when Harrold is a -18 with 3 pts and people are sick that Urbom still can't cover the guy in front of the net and scared Jay Leach is next up. Oh man it's gonna be grim.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
CerebralGenesis

He doesn't need to go but he is going to want to go if he doesn't get to play. Fayne, Greene, and Larsson should all play. Zidlicky plays the remainder of this year.

That leaves Tallinder, Volch, Sal, and Harrold for 2 spots. Harrold will be an extra. Apparently Sal can't sit because of the letter on his jersey. Volch or Sal?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
Eeeeeaaaaaaaaglllleeeeee!
HAH Dr. Mantoots.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:10 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyForLife View Post
Henrik Tallinder needs to go. He's been a huge bust and has a limited skillset. Jeff O'Connor explains more at Devils Insiders:

wp.me/p347yn-pc
i think 'huge bust' is about as accurate as calling him a perennial norris contender

Old
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
yea, that's what I said earlier.

It only happens if the Devils meet the Rangers for another good series in the 2nd round/ECF.

Why wouldn't it work out at Metlife though? Would be tough with the Giants/Jets so they'd have to play Week 17 on the road but can't be that hard. How long do they usually need for the rink?
The rink is usually being used for about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. There's usually at least a week of the prep work for the rink itself, and then its usually be up for about another week. There are the extra events associated with the winter classic itself, college or other kinds of games there, etc. I don't believe any of the sites have only had the rink up for as short as one week. You're talking about having the Jets and Giants on the road likely for week 16 and 17, and hoping neither is hope for the first round of the playoffs.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
No, Tallinder does not need to go. He's struggled lately, but he's good for depth and when he re-finds his game he's the perfect middle-pairing two-way defenseman. I've always considered Tallinder to be the ceiling for Mark Fayne. I'm hoping Fayne can scrape out a career like Tallinder's.

I could understand if we move him for a top-9 forward, since that is a pressing need, but other than that it would be foolish to move him.
Tallinder is a shell of who he was in Buffalo. He needs to go at the latest this Summer. His $3.4 million can be replaced for $2.5 million less by an entry level guy. That's $3.4 million we can give to Clarkson on Henrique for a raise. Or just making the forwards better.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
DevilChuk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
The rink is usually being used for about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. There's usually at least a week of the prep work for the rink itself, and then its usually be up for about another week. There are the extra events associated with the winter classic itself, college or other kinds of games there, etc. I don't believe any of the sites have only had the rink up for as short as one week. You're talking about having the Jets and Giants on the road likely for week 16 and 17, and hoping neither is hope for the first round of the playoffs.
I think it is possible, Jan 1 would have to be towards the middle of the week (Wed.) so you can try to make Week 16 available as a home game 10 days before. Then would be ready by the weekend for any potential first round games.

It'll be at Metlife eventually, no other way to bring the WC to NYC since Yankee Stadium will never be available. Citi Field, I guess, but doesn't have the usual allure that NHL has looked for in terms of venues.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I think it is possible, Jan 1 would have to be towards the middle of the week (Wed.) so you can try to make Week 16 available as a home game 10 days before. Then would be ready by the weekend for any potential first round games.

It'll be at Metlife eventually, no other way to bring the WC to NYC since Yankee Stadium will never be available. Citi Field, I guess, but doesn't have the usual allure that NHL has looked for in terms of venues.
Don't rule out Central Park though. They could easily make that one happen. And it may be worth it for them just for the novelty of it all.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Don't rule out Central Park though. They could easily make that one happen. And it may be worth it for them just for the novelty of it all.
While hockey in Central Park would be pretty amazing, I can't imagine what kind of security risk that would pose. Having thousands and thousands of people roaming around the park at once sounds impossible to maintain compared to enclosed area like an stadium.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Tallinder is a shell of who he was in Buffalo. He needs to go at the latest this Summer. His $3.4 million can be replaced for $2.5 million less by an entry level guy. That's $3.4 million we can give to Clarkson on Henrique for a raise. Or just making the forwards better.
I'm not opposed to moving him for help at forward, as I said in my post. But I completely disagree with the notion that an entry-level defenseman can replace what Tallinder brings, that's just not true. You can't get rid of a roster defenseman just because a prospect has the potential to replace that player.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
foxboro24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
I'm not opposed to moving him for help at forward, as I said in my post. But I completely disagree with the notion that an entry-level defenseman can replace what Tallinder brings.
Again, Tallinder basically went a full calendar year while playing in three games. That kind of ring rust is hard to shake, but we conveniently forget that before he got hurt he was our top line defender. Give the dude a chance to regain his form. If he gets traded I would want value in return, not just a salary dump like it seems some people want. Harrold is a decent player, but he is not a must start yet.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxboro24 View Post
Again, Tallinder basically went a full calendar year while playing in three games. That kind of ring rust is hard to shake, but we conveniently forget that before he got hurt he was our top line defender. Give the dude a chance to regain his form. If he gets traded I would want value in return, not just a salary dump like it seems some people want. Harrold is a decent player, but he is not a must start yet.
Exactly.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:48 PM
SteveCangialosi123

The issue isn't with Tallinder, it's that's he's in there for perhaps our 2nd best defenseman. If he was in for Volch or Sal no one would complain bc they've both been lackluster.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:57 PM
CerebralGenesis

Luckily lou won't bring in a rookie and pencil him into a starting spot without giving him a test drive first. I don't want a situation like Minny where they just put Granlund in as a top 2C and had it go bad, Lou doesn't usually do that either. Good on him.

Closed Thread