HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

vs. BOS and NYR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
  #1
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
vs. BOS and NYR

What do you all think should be our line combinations for the next two road games? Clearly, the current lines have not been clicking and I'm hoping Boucher will shuffle them for the next game and that they'll stick for the duration of the game if possible.

For me:

Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Malone-Stamkos-Conacher
Tyrell-Pyatt-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Crombeen/Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Brewer
Aulie-Mikkelson

Lindback
Garon

IMO, we'll need to roll with 12 forwards vs. Boston and will definitely need Crombeen in the line-up (if not healthy, put in Nacho). Tyrell should definitely not be scratched, his work rate and speed have been outstanding and him and Pyatt are great puck hounds/little pests out there. We haven't benefitted from playing 7 defensemen to this point and both MAB and Lee have had rather questionable performances in the games they have played. Boston are an extremely tough team to play against and after last night, it was clear that we need a physical edge to help get us going.

At this point, it makes sense to split up Marty and Stammer since both are under performing and just not clicking in the offensive zone and on break outs. There was some good chemistry between Cory-Stammer-Marty earlier in the year, so I'm hoping that the chemistry can continue between the former two.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
  #2
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
I like these lines but one bad shift and everything changes again ? Thompson scores a goal and suddenly he's a first line winger ? Boucher preaches patience to his players it seems he needs to do the same.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:51 AM
  #3
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
I like these lines but one bad shift and everything changes again ? Thompson scores a goal and suddenly he's a first line winger ? Boucher preaches patience to his players it seems he needs to do the same.
Completely agreed that there needs to be some patience exerted by the coaching staff to let these players develop a rhythm with one another. This is why I prefer rolling with 12 forwards so that lines can start to get established and the players will gain that familiarity. I believe we played with 11 forwards last year due to a lack of an alternative options up front and because our defence needed 7 to just make it through a game.

I think Boucher is trying to display patience by keeping Marty and Stammer together, but it's been quite clear so far they have just not been clicking with each other. We're usually pinned in our zone when they are both on the ice because of their turnovers in the offensive zone or their panic breakout passes. This becomes a huge concern for the coaching staff because they want their top players on the ice as much as possible. We saw at the tail end of yesterday's game that Marty was starting to play with Vinny and it's a combination that I'd like to see stick. Cory's been great on any line he's played with and I'm hoping his energy will be contagious with Stammer.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  #4
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Pouliot has been playing really well, but only averages 12:17 min. on ice. I'd like to see him get 16-17 min. TOI/G. Conacher also deserves an ice time boost, I'd give him some extra shifts until the big guns get their errant passing under control again.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  #5
The YzerJesus
#yzerplan
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 6,699
vCash: 500
I would hope Guy has addressed Marty and Stammer about their passing game. They're trying too hard. If they've shown improvement, I would very much like to keep the lines the way they are. Stammer - SHOOT. Marty - look to pass. If = 0, SHOOT or dump or SOMETHING. Don't turn it over.

Malone - Stammer - Marty/Teddy
CC - Vinny - Teddy/Marty
Pouliot - Pyatt - Crombeen/Tyrell
Hall - Thompson - Tyrell/Crombeen

Honestly, those lines are pretty good lines. Top 6 looks really good, 3rd line is a speed/energy line, 4th plays a checking role. Pretty quality if you ask me. Yeah, the 4th could look a little better, but, its the 4th line. Problem is, the top 6 isn't looking as good as it should be. I'm really hoping that changes, and honestly, I really think we are going to win against the Bruins on Saturday. 3 losses in a row aren't fun. This team will buck up, I'm sure of it.

Our RWs I think need to be alternated only every so often. They need time to gel. Not a fan of Nacho, didn't really like the callup. Both of our guys who think they can fight, or are supposed to fight, can't really fight that well (Crombeen and Nacho). Aulie is out best fighter I think. I've seen a few of his fights, and boy can that kid chuck the knuckles.

I think Crombeen only fights to try and make a statement that he stands up for his team. Which is nice and everything, but we don't need a fight every other game. I don't see his fights bringing any energy to the team. What he does do to bring energy to the team - win puck battles, hustle, forecheck, be in the right places - I like to see more of that from him.

We don't need grit against the Bruins. Plain and simple, we will be out-gritted. We need to play our game, as someone in the GDT said. Fast, quick transition hockey.

Our D is alright.

Salo - Heddy
Carle - Brew
Aulie - Whoever
Whoever else


Last edited by The YzerJesus: 02-08-2013 at 01:06 PM.
The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
  #6
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Pouliot has been playing really well, but only averages 12:17 min. on ice. I'd like to see him get 16-17 min. TOI/G. Conacher also deserves an ice time boost, I'd give him some extra shifts until the big guns get their errant passing under control again.
Agreed, Pouliot and Conacher have been two of our best forwards. I like Pouliot on the second line with Vinny and Conacher with Stammer to even out the players who have been consistent. Considering we only dress 11 forwards right now, I'd cut down Marty and Stammer's ice time a bit to compensate for an increase in Pouliot's and Conacher's.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
  #7
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I would hope Guy has addressed Marty and Stammer about their passing game. They're trying too hard. If they've shown improvement, I would very much like to keep the lines the way they are. Stammer - SHOOT. Marty - look to pass. If = 0, SHOOT or dump or SOMETHING. Don't turn it over.

Malone - Stammer - Marty/Teddy
CC - Vinny - Teddy/Marty
Pouliot - Pyatt - Crombeen/Tyrell
Hall - Thompson - Tyrell/Crombeen

Honestly, those lines are pretty good lines. Top 6 looks really good, 3rd line is a speed/energy line, 4th plays a checking role. Pretty quality if you ask me. Yeah, the 4th could look a little better, but, its the 4th line. Problem is, the top 6 isn't looking as good as it should be. I'm really hoping that changes, and honestly, I really think we are going to win against the Bruins on Saturday. 3 losses in a row aren't fun. This team will buck up, I'm sure of it.

Our RWs I think need to be alternated only every so often. They need time to gel. Not a fan of Nacho, didn't really like the callup. Both of our guys who think they can fight, or are supposed to fight, can't really fight that well (Crombeen and Nacho). Aulie is out best fighter I think. I've seen a few of his fights, and boy can that kid chuck the knuckles.

I think Crombeen only fights to try and make a statement that he stands up for his team. Which is nice and everything, but we don't need a fight every other game. I don't see his fights bringing any energy to the team. What he does do to bring energy to the team - win puck battles, hustle, forecheck, be in the right places - I like to see more of that from him.

We don't need grit against the Bruins. Plain and simple, we will be out-gritted. We need to play our game, as someone in the GDT said. Fast, quick transition hockey.

Our D is alright.

Salo - Heddy
Carle - Brew
Aulie - Whoever
Whoever else
Actually, Crombeen has a pretty good track record in fighting according to hockeyfights.com. He's not your typical enforcer though, I'll give you that.

Prior to this past Tuesday, our 4th line of Hall-Thompson-Crombeen had been one of our most effective lines and they always did a good job of keeping the opposing teams' top lines pinned in their zone and brought the hits down low, so I'd keep them together.

I'm not fond of Malone-Stammer-Marty/Teddy because none of those combinations have clicked this year and Stammer could really benefit from Cory's hard work and more consistent passing in the offensive zone. Malone's fine with Stammer and Cory since we'll need some size to offset the skill. Playing Marty with Vinny and Pouliot may help because both are better than Stammer at holding onto the puck and also slower skaters than him, which may influence Marty to start being more patient and set-up in order to wait for the other forwards to enter the zone (opposed to the rushed quick attacks that they are trying to set-up).

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  #8
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Malone is averaging 17:45 TOI/G. He's been mostly invisible though. Some minutes can come from him also.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
  #9
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Agreed, Pouliot and Conacher have been two of our best forwards. I like Pouliot on the second line with Vinny and Conacher with Stammer to even out the players who have been consistent. Considering we only dress 11 forwards right now, I'd cut down Marty and Stammer's ice time a bit to compensate for an increase in Pouliot's and Conacher's.
We really do need to reduce Stammers and MSL's ice time, this season is a sprint not a marathon and playing every second night, their ice time needs to be reduced. We can give Pouliot more minutes and why does Malone gets so many minutes ????

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
  #10
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
We don't want to admit it, but Lindback has been shaky. He has let in at least one soft goal per game, and last night a goalie who was playing well would have stopped 3 of the 4 NJ goals.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
  #11
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
We don't want to admit it, but Lindback has been shaky. He has let in at least one soft goal per game, and last night a goalie who was playing well would have stopped 3 of the 4 NJ goals.
I wouldn't hold the 1 soft goal per game against him though as he's turned in some outstanding performances in some of those games too. Last night wasn't his best outing, but it happens unfortunately. We have to keep in mind that it's his first season as a starter and he's still learning. He shows glimpses of greatness and has made some incredible saves to keep us in games; he just needs more time to put it all together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Malone is averaging 17:45 TOI/G. He's been mostly invisible though. Some minutes can come from him also.
He's been so invisible on the ice that I didn't even notice his TOI/G was so high. Granted, a lot of those minutes are on the PP where he parks in front of the net though. He could also stand to see a small reduction in playing time too, if it means more for Cory and Puliot right now.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  #12
lost puck
Registered User
 
lost puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
We don't want to admit it, but Lindback has been shaky. He has let in at least one soft goal per game, and last night a goalie who was playing well would have stopped 3 of the 4 NJ goals.
The problem here in Tampa is that we never give our goalies a solid chance. Every pair we've had since the cup has fought to be the number one. One bad game and they were outcasted by the coaching staff. How do you gain confidence when your team is constantly shifting who the starter is. I remember the Denis/Holmqvist combination. Denis would suck it up and Johan would have a few great games. Then he'd let in a softie and boom right back to Denis being the starter. Goalies will have bad games just like any other player on the ice. We need to give them a break and let them develop, pulling the cord only after they've proven they are not up to the job repeatedly.

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:38 PM
  #13
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 23,974
vCash: 955
I would split Stammer and St. Louis. Maybe try Pouliot in top six for a while.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
  #14
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 5,510
vCash: 500
With the extra time they have before the game tomorrow they need to watch the first few games on tape to remind them what happens when they play up tempo and crash the net. It seems like they forgot how to do that these last few games.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:25 PM
  #15
Cigar City
Registered User
 
Cigar City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Pouliot has been playing really well, but only averages 12:17 min. on ice. I'd like to see him get 16-17 min. TOI/G. Conacher also deserves an ice time boost, I'd give him some extra shifts until the big guns get their errant passing under control again.
THISSSSSSS!!!!!!

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 03:53 PM
  #16
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
If we don't have Lee in the lineup it doesn't matter what we do with our fowards we're doomed.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
  #17
B2k3
#Yzerteam
 
B2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
If we don't have Lee in the lineup it doesn't matter what we do with our fowards we're doomed.
You forgot the

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
  #18
TurboBrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SATX
Country: Finland
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
CC - Vinny - Marty
"Snow White and The Two Dwarfs"-line!

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
  #19
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrick View Post
"Snow White and The Two Dwarfs"-line!
Good one !!!

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:32 PM
  #20
dbieon12
Seen Stamkos?
 
dbieon12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,148
vCash: 50
Wish we would have kept either Steve Downie or Dominic Moore. Missing their heart, aggression and creativity.

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
  #21
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
You just may have got that in Killorn.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:52 PM
  #22
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
You just may have got that in Killorn.
I'm hoping to eventually see:

Malone-Stamkos-Conacher
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Killorn-Pyatt-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Crombeen

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:31 PM
  #23
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 23,974
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I'm hoping to eventually see:

Malone-Stamkos-Conacher
Pouliot-Lecavalier-St.Louis
Killorn-Pyatt-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Crombeen
I'd be ok with that.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  #24
Allaboard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,545
vCash: 500
They only thing I would change is Malone out of the top six, and Purcell in. Next year they are both out as Connolly comes back better than before.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:15 PM
  #25
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
They only thing I would change is Malone out of the top six, and Purcell in. Next year they are both out as Connolly comes back better than before.
Agreed, I only have Malone there because of his size and grit (which he occasionally brings). If Connolly can develop his strength and confidence considerably this year, there's no reason why he won't be in our top 6 next season. I always wished he was more physical though...

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.