HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles close to deal with Edm?

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Satan'sIsland81

vCash: 500
Isles close to deal with Edm?

I know its Eklund, but he is saying E4 to a deal that would be a "major domino" and "shift the balance" between us and the Oilers by tomorrow. If this happens, with it coming so soon after the Tim Thomas "trade" (and I use that term loosely), there is no doubt in my mind that it will be us trading an NHL roster player for non-NHL prospects or draft picks.

If this happens, every one of the Snow apologists owes those of us who criticized the Tim Thomas embarrassment an apology. With Lubo and Bailey just getting in to the lineup and only 10 FREAKING GAMES in to the season, if they give up on the playoffs already and we have even LESS actual salary cap space spent on actual players PLAYING, I am done. Officially over, done, until Wang and Snow are gone.

To not even give the team at full roster strength a chance to play with not even a quarter of the season gone, to give up on the playoffs is inexcusable and even further for the NHL to allow it shows me we lost half a season for nothing.

Now, in fairness, if I am wrong and they actually make a move to improve the CURRENT PRODUCT, I will GLADLY eat crow. But does anybody actually believe that is what will happen?

John Tavares deserves better than this. For his and our sake, I just wish this franchise would fold.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?b...1#.URah0aUZxqE

Last edited by Homeland Security: 02-09-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added link
Old
02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
bigbren92

Streit + Okposo + Nino + Draft Pick for Yak... Imagine having him on Tavares' wing? My god the possibilities. A man can dream...

Old
02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Hipietro

Garth Snow trading himself for Khabibulin. You heard it here first.

Old
02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
TeamKidd

First off, eklund is nonsense. However, the OIL and ISLES do have a TON of trading history. We know NINO has been grumpy and it's plain as day the isles need:

1. A second line center.
2. A Winger to play with Tavares and MM

We also have a lot of defensemen right now...maybe VIS gets his wish and is booted off the island along with NINO for a second line center type or maybe a winger for Tavares? Id imagine they arent thrilled with Okposo either...so he's a candidate too...

I could see it.

I also wouldnt call it folding on the season. I HIGHLY doubt garth is already selling.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:03 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
I know its Eklund, but he is saying E4 to a deal that would be a "major domino" and "shift the balance" between us and the Oilers by tomorrow. If this happens, with it coming so soon after the Tim Thomas "trade" (and I use that term loosely), there is no doubt in my mind that it will be us trading an NHL roster player for non-NHL prospects or draft picks.

If this happens, every one of the Snow apologists owes those of us who criticized the Tim Thomas embarrassment an apology. With Lubo and Bailey just getting in to the lineup and only 10 FREAKING GAMES in to the season, if they give up on the playoffs already and we have even LESS actually salary cap space spent on actual players PLAYING, I am done. Officially over, done, until Wang and Snow are gone.

To not even give the team at full roster strength a chance to play with not even a quarter of the season gone, to give up on the playoffs is inexcusable and even further for the NHL to allow it shows me we lost half a season for nothing.

Now, in fairness, if I am wrong and they actually make a move to improve the CURRENT PRODUCT, I will GLADLY eat crow. But does anybody actually believe that is what will happen?
Actually, the Thomas trade is a prelude that could also see another trade made here...one merely with less NHL pieces coming back. Expect MPS and or Yakupov to be involved, with the quality Swedish and Russian-type prospects the Islanders have on the cusp of becoming regular NHL players: Ullstrom, Sundstrom, Petrov, and if he reaches his potential, Kirill Kabanov.

Edmonton certainly could use a veteran powerplay quarterback- and with the Islanders best means of acquiring talent they don't draft, look for Garth Snow to keep one of Streit and Viznovsky, and move the other to find help for John Tavares.

That's the word on the HF street anyway...

Old
02-09-2013, 01:03 PM
InformTheMasses

I'll comment when something happens.....

How many 'clicks' will Eklund get? That's what this is REALLY about.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
xECK29x

Eklund has been better as of late but I don't see anything coming of this.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Actually, the Thomas trade is a prelude that could also see another trade made here...one merely with less NHL pieces coming back. Expect MPS and or Yakupov to be involved, with the quality Swedish and Russian-type prospects the Islanders have on the cusp of becoming regular NHL players: Ullstrom, Sundstrom, Petrov, and if he reaches his potential, Kirill Kabanov.

Edmonton certainly could use a veteran powerplay quarterback- and with the Islanders best means of acquiring talent they don't draft, look for Garth Snow to keep one of Streit and Viznovsky, and move the other to find help for John Tavares.

That's the word on the HF street anyway...

If Eklund is in on to something here I would say it will involve Streit. I would offer Streit, Okposo and Reasoner for Hemsky and Whitney.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:45 PM
jdr016

OP wrote a lot of text for a deal that probably has less than a 10% chance of actually happening!

Old
02-09-2013, 01:46 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Eklund has been better as of late but I don't see anything coming of this.
He's been speaking of the Islanders involved in a deal with a team from western canada for the last few days now. I think something truly may be in the works

Old
02-09-2013, 01:47 PM
No Need To Vanek

Watch us trade Tavares.

Old
02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
jdr016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
If Eklund is in on to something here I would say it will involve Streit. I would offer Streit, Okposo and Reasoner for Hemsky and Whitney.
Not bad. But, Whitney has a NTC.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Quote:
Now that is a trade I would actually strongly consider. Not a bad job Ziggy7716, you would probably make a better GM than our current clown goof.

Moulson-Tavares-Hemsky
Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes
Bailey-Aucoin-Ullstrom
McDonald-Cizikias-Martin

Hamonic-Macdonald
Visnovsky-Strait
Whitney-Carkner/Hickey

Old
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
steveat

Streit, Okposo, Nino and a 1st for Yakupov and Hemsky

Either that or wait till offseason and try to sign one of Semin or Igninla..yeah right that's even more of a pipe dream.

Yaks and Hemsky done and done. THEN go all out for Getzlaf in the summer.

BTW What does E4 mean?

Old
02-09-2013, 02:21 PM
OlTimeHockey

I have only two words for everyone:

EKLUND

Yeah, stupid that it's only one word, but not as stupid as giving that hack attention.

There will be no deals. Garth already made his big deal: a Stanley Cup winning goalie! He'll be in his office next to the Chipotle wrappers and Fischer Price telephone.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:21 PM
SpeedDemon

Quote:
Hemsky's production has dropped the past couple of years. He's been a 20-goal scorer just twice.

After Schultz, Whitney is pretty much the most offensive minded d-man for the Oilers and perhaps the best skater on the back end.

KO and Reasoner have 0 value right now at best. Streit is good but he's not a powerplay quarterback. Whitney is.

There's no way the Oilers would do this for one of the mentioned players let alone two.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

It'll be Reasoner for a 6th or something to that effect if there even is a deal. That'll really shift the balance of power.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:33 PM
steveat

in hemsky's defence, he has been injured a lot which is why his numbers don't show... 10 games this year 7 points 4G 3A. Not bad.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post

If this happens, every one of the Snow apologists owes those of us who criticized the Tim Thomas embarrassment an apology. With Lubo and Bailey just getting in to the lineup and only 10 FREAKING GAMES in to the season, if they give up on the playoffs already and we have even LESS actual salary cap space spent on actual players PLAYING, I am done. Officially over, done, until Wang and Snow are gone.

John Tavares deserves better than this. For his and our sake, I just wish this franchise would fold.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?b...1#.URah0aUZxqE
Oilers faceoff numbers are pretty bad.

Is Reasoner at 51% a game changer?

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 02:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Hemsky's production has dropped the past couple of years. He's been a 20-goal scorer just twice.

After Schultz, Whitney is pretty much the most offensive minded d-man for the Oilers and perhaps the best skater on the back end.

KO and Reasoner have 0 value right now at best. Streit is good but he's not a powerplay quarterback. Whitney is.

There's no way the Oilers would do this for one of the mentioned players let alone two.
If you honestly believe that 24 yr old Okposo, coming off a career high 24 goals amd making $2m has no trade value, then I guess RHN who has 1 more pt this season then KO, also has no trade value?

Okposo 4 pts

Lucic 5 pts.
Simmons 5 pts
B. Schenn 5 pts
Ricahrds 5 pts
Clohards 5 pts
Gagne 5 pts
Couturier 5 pts
J. Carter 4 pts
C. Stewart 4 pts
Doan 4 pts
Jokenin 4 pts
Stafford 4 pts
Dubinsky 4 pts
Briere 3 pts

Last edited by CREW99AW: 02-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
SpeedDemon

KO's been in this league for over 4 years now. He's barely broken the 50 point barrier despite being a regular, I don't believe he's ever been a plus player (with all due respect to him it's the isles not much to work with) and his play right now is mediocre at best.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
steveat

I think what people are saying is that Kyle wouldn't have his 24 goals or 4 points this year without Tavares. Then again, you can say the same thing about Moulson..so who knows..I say trade while their stock is high and replace them with players that will make JT better.

Old
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM
IslandersFan17

I have been reading a lot about Magnus Paajarvi not being able to find a role with the Oilers. I would not be surprised if that kid was involved in a trade.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
KO's been in this league for over 4 years now. He's barely broken the 50 point barrier despite being a regular, I don't believe he's ever been a plus player (with all due respect to him it's the isles not much to work with) and his play right now is mediocre at best.
24 yr old KO's coming off a career high 24 goals.
If you don't think his $2m salary is considered very appealing to the isles, I'll leave you to the fantasy proposals of give Parise a blank check.

Okposo a slow starter every yr except 1, I don't know why this season slow starts seems to surprise fans.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Degeneration Rex

Probably another waiver claim-Nick Petrecki (Sharks) and Dana Tyrell (Lightning) hit the wire.

Closed Thread