HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles close to deal with Edm?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM
  #151
BaileyToOkposo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
i'm not so sure donovan would be much worse than streit at this point. especially if you give him another year to work on his game.
Streits a power play specialist?? I think he sucks on the PP lol

BaileyToOkposo is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
  #152
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Are you guys telling me that one of Donovan/Ness or De Haan is capable of being a 45-55 point producing Dman? If that's true...I don't think any of these guys will be at that level for at least 3-5 more years.
no, never said that. dont think streit will be a 45-55 point man ever again, for that matter.

donovan isnt good defensively, but its hard to be worse than streit in my opinion.

streit gets us a return and he isnt the future anyways. deal him and use donovan as his instant replacement.

luki here is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  #153
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
no, never said that. dont think streit will be a 45-55 point man ever again, for that matter.

donovan isnt good defensively, but its hard to be worse than streit in my opinion.

streit gets us a return and he isnt the future anyways. deal him and use donovan as his instant replacement.
If not Hickey...

Chapin Landvogt is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  #154
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,478
vCash: 500
scary how many on here are willing to toss aside players like Streit, Okposo, Visnovsky (though he's an exception given his situation) in favour of MORE "unknowns" and/or potential and/or younger, unproven players.

As bad as Streit has looked, at TIMES, is anyone seriously more comfortable giving 20min+ a night to Hickey or Donovan?

And Okposo, for all his faults, is a far better player than anyone who can take his place on this roster.

Guys, this is a roster that's icing Reasoner, Aucoin, McDonald, Hickey, Finley, Carkner, Boyes (reclamation project #10) and Strait (waived by the Pens).

This is NOT a roster that can "absorb" incremental minutes to more unproven players - ESPECIALLY on defense.

This team needs to make moves to bring IN players like Streit and Okposo - NOT the opposite. This is very unlikely (if not impossible) to happen in-season or at the deadline. If anyone thinks a firesale of our only "good" veteran players will help this team then get used to another lottery finish next year, and the year after.

Look at EDM, they have all the talent in the world. They struggle against even average teams because they are so inconsistent in effort and output, because shift by shift, you don't know what you have from RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Hall, Eberle (less so, he's been great) and Paajarvi. And these are ELITE picks, three first overalls!

We expect TOO MUCH from the players on the team. It's that simple. They are outmatched. The results are unavoidable and I don't blame any player on the roster. This is a hard-working group for the most part.

Streit seems lazy at times, sure. Boyes and Moulson ARE lazy players, always have been, that's not on them, that's on Snow, expecting the leopard to change its spots. Maybe a different coach, more experience, can get more output, maybe a system change would help. Maybe an NHL coach get impressed by NHL PLAYERS, rather than memories of how good Parenteau and Aucoin were in the AHL season in 2010-11. And maybe they are able to attract a Brad Richards (like Torts did).

But these are all "nice-to-haves" compared to the gigantic elephant in the room that is the on-ice roster, the capabilities of the players, the lack of support and the very ACCURATE reflection of cap-space vs salary and the cap floor.

THIS YEAR, ONLY TWO FORWARDS ARE GETTING PAID MORE THAN ALEXEI YASHIN.

30 MILLION IN CAP SPACE IS GOING TO THESE PLAYERS: TAVARES, STREIT, VISNOVSKY, NABOKOV, DIPIETRO, THOMAS, YASHIN - HOW MUCH ON-ICE HELP IS THE TEAM REALLY GETTING?

COLOSSAL JOKE.

ALL THAT SAID: LET'S GO ISLES, DESTROY CAROLINA TONIGHT! GO TEAM!

redbull is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:32 PM
  #155
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
scary how many on here are willing to toss aside players like Streit, Okposo, Visnovsky (though he's an exception given his situation) in favour of MORE "unknowns" and/or potential and/or younger, unproven players.

As bad as Streit has looked, at TIMES, is anyone seriously more comfortable giving 20min+ a night to Hickey or Donovan?

And Okposo, for all his faults, is a far better player than anyone who can take his place on this roster.

Guys, this is a roster that's icing Reasoner, Aucoin, McDonald, Hickey, Finley, Carkner, Boyes (reclamation project #10) and Strait (waived by the Pens).

This is NOT a roster that can "absorb" incremental minutes to more unproven players - ESPECIALLY on defense.

This team needs to make moves to bring IN players like Streit and Okposo - NOT the opposite. This is very unlikely (if not impossible) to happen in-season or at the deadline. If anyone thinks a firesale of our only "good" veteran players will help this team then get used to another lottery finish next year, and the year after.

Look at EDM, they have all the talent in the world. They struggle against even average teams because they are so inconsistent in effort and output, because shift by shift, you don't know what you have from RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Hall, Eberle (less so, he's been great) and Paajarvi. And these are ELITE picks, three first overalls!

We expect TOO MUCH from the players on the team. It's that simple. They are outmatched. The results are unavoidable and I don't blame any player on the roster. This is a hard-working group for the most part.

Streit seems lazy at times, sure. Boyes and Moulson ARE lazy players, always have been, that's not on them, that's on Snow, expecting the leopard to change its spots. Maybe a different coach, more experience, can get more output, maybe a system change would help. Maybe an NHL coach get impressed by NHL PLAYERS, rather than memories of how good Parenteau and Aucoin were in the AHL season in 2010-11. And maybe they are able to attract a Brad Richards (like Torts did).

But these are all "nice-to-haves" compared to the gigantic elephant in the room that is the on-ice roster, the capabilities of the players, the lack of support and the very ACCURATE reflection of cap-space vs salary and the cap floor.

THIS YEAR, ONLY TWO FORWARDS ARE GETTING PAID MORE THAN ALEXEI YASHIN.

30 MILLION IN CAP SPACE IS GOING TO THESE PLAYERS: TAVARES, STREIT, VISNOVSKY, NABOKOV, DIPIETRO, THOMAS, YASHIN - HOW MUCH ON-ICE HELP IS THE TEAM REALLY GETTING?

COLOSSAL JOKE.

ALL THAT SAID: LET'S GO ISLES, DESTROY CAROLINA TONIGHT! GO TEAM!



This is a good post. We have been looking for Wang to open his check book for the last few years but he wont. I think the Tim Thomas move says it all. We will be sellers again.

goal1228 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:41 PM
  #156
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
scary how many on here are willing to toss aside players like Streit, Okposo, Visnovsky (though he's an exception given his situation) in favour of MORE "unknowns" and/or potential and/or younger, unproven players.

As bad as Streit has looked, at TIMES, is anyone seriously more comfortable giving 20min+ a night to Hickey or Donovan?

And Okposo, for all his faults, is a far better player than anyone who can take his place on this roster.

Guys, this is a roster that's icing Reasoner, Aucoin, McDonald, Hickey, Finley, Carkner, Boyes (reclamation project #10) and Strait (waived by the Pens).

This is NOT a roster that can "absorb" incremental minutes to more unproven players - ESPECIALLY on defense.

This team needs to make moves to bring IN players like Streit and Okposo - NOT the opposite. This is very unlikely (if not impossible) to happen in-season or at the deadline. If anyone thinks a firesale of our only "good" veteran players will help this team then get used to another lottery finish next year, and the year after.

Look at EDM, they have all the talent in the world. They struggle against even average teams because they are so inconsistent in effort and output, because shift by shift, you don't know what you have from RNH, Yakupov, Schultz, Hall, Eberle (less so, he's been great) and Paajarvi. And these are ELITE picks, three first overalls!

We expect TOO MUCH from the players on the team. It's that simple. They are outmatched. The results are unavoidable and I don't blame any player on the roster. This is a hard-working group for the most part.

Streit seems lazy at times, sure. Boyes and Moulson ARE lazy players, always have been, that's not on them, that's on Snow, expecting the leopard to change its spots. Maybe a different coach, more experience, can get more output, maybe a system change would help. Maybe an NHL coach get impressed by NHL PLAYERS, rather than memories of how good Parenteau and Aucoin were in the AHL season in 2010-11. And maybe they are able to attract a Brad Richards (like Torts did).

But these are all "nice-to-haves" compared to the gigantic elephant in the room that is the on-ice roster, the capabilities of the players, the lack of support and the very ACCURATE reflection of cap-space vs salary and the cap floor.

THIS YEAR, ONLY TWO FORWARDS ARE GETTING PAID MORE THAN ALEXEI YASHIN.

30 MILLION IN CAP SPACE IS GOING TO THESE PLAYERS: TAVARES, STREIT, VISNOVSKY, NABOKOV, DIPIETRO, THOMAS, YASHIN - HOW MUCH ON-ICE HELP IS THE TEAM REALLY GETTING?

COLOSSAL JOKE.

ALL THAT SAID: LET'S GO ISLES, DESTROY CAROLINA TONIGHT! GO TEAM!
You can take away some of Streits 5 on 5 time and give it to Strait. He's shown he can handle 20 minutes a game. Strait only played 12 minutes against the Sabres and was the catalist for the Isles only two goals.

bigd is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  #157
thomsenrox
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Does anyone know how Wangs finacial situation is? Does he really have the money to invest in the team, the way we all would like?
I am, for one, completely embarrased of the Tim Thomas trade. It might be a wise deal, because of the future trading opportunities, but it underlines the thin financial backing this franchise has from it's owner.

thomsenrox is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
  #158
2LeftSkates
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomsenrox View Post
Does anyone know how Wangs finacial situation is? Does he really have the money to invest in the team, the way we all would like?
I am, for one, completely embarrased of the Tim Thomas trade. It might be a wise deal, because of the future trading opportunities, but it underlines the thin financial backing this franchise has from it's owner.
He has the money, but hates to spend it. How else do you explain having the worst back up goalie in the league? For his cap hit?
Why am I even in this thread? Islanders do not make trades, they play for draft picks!

2LeftSkates is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
  #159
Islander Prophet
Registered User
 
Islander Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Now would be a perfect time for a trade, we have a 2 day break before the next game and it's going bad real quick. Combine Streit + Okposo + maybe a prospect/pick to get a good winger for Tavares. I think we can get a decent return for Streit and Okposo at the moment because they still hold value to other teams (especially Streit, teams with a lack of a PP quarterback will be in high demand) and obtain the top forward we are looking for.

example:

Streit and Okposo for Dustin Brown in LA

Islander Prophet is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
  #160
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Brown at all, but I doubt LA trades.....however, they have been playing like crap lately. Who knows? Last year before the playoffs, LA was trying to shop him around, but ever since he showed up in the playoffs, he's like a local hero.

steveat is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  #161
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
We could use a Brown type player but it will be hard for any team to trade an impact player this early in the season.

Someone mentioned Okposo + for O'Reilly . I'd like to see the Isles inquire about that but once again Wang won't pay.

goal1228 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
  #162
Original Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
Now would be a perfect time for a trade, we have a 2 day break before the next game and it's going bad real quick. Combine Streit + Okposo + maybe a prospect/pick to get a good winger for Tavares. I think we can get a decent return for Streit and Okposo at the moment because they still hold value to other teams (especially Streit, teams with a lack of a PP quarterback will be in high demand) and obtain the top forward we are looking for.

example:

Streit and Okposo for Dustin Brown in LA
Yea I'm sure L.A.'s chomping at the bit for a piece of Okie and 2 months of Streit for their captain

Original Rob is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  #163
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch
 
7:11 of OT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Monkeyville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
He who shall not be named just said that the Isles grew tired of trying to work something out with the Oilers and that they have moved on to Minny. Also speculated big news on the Island in the next week to 10 days - what do you think, a Valentines clearance sale at the Isles Store in the Coliseum?

7:11 of OT is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  #164
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
ooo...Kyle for Setoguchi? Kyle gets back home and we get Devin coming to us.

steveat is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
  #165
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
He who shall not be named just said that the Isles grew tired of trying to work something out with the Oilers and that they have moved on to Minny. Also speculated big news on the Island in the next week to 10 days - what do you think, a Valentines clearance sale at the Isles Store in the Coliseum?
7-10 days... where does he come up with this stuff?

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:37 AM
  #166
Tavaresfan91
Registered User
 
Tavaresfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Yeah Ekland just said isles talking to Minny about a trade and that major news on island within 7-10 days....if we could get setogichi or heatley to play with JT for Okposo that would be awesome

Tavaresfan91 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
  #167
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
7-10 days... where does he come up with this stuff?
he pulls it out of his rear end.

I think this thread has run it's course. We have a "proposals" thread now. so if you want to talk about trades with other clubs follow the link

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1342623

Isles Junkie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.