HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins still want Sean Burke

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Magnus Fulgur

vCash: 500
Bruins still want Sean Burke

Here's the skinny:
1.) Potvin got pulled in a 6-2 loss against NYI, and hasn't been wonderful in camp.
2.) Shields hasn't done anything to improve his stock.
3.) Toivonen is the Bruins' hot prospect, so he's in Providence for the year which will do him good.
4.) Raycroft will be the backup in Boston...but he needs a better influence than Potvin if Felix is going to be rusty out of the gate.
5.) GM Mike O'Connell was asked (in the Globe, I believe) if the search for a #1 is now over. O'Connell replied: "Never!"
6.) In a wonderful article: http://www.hockeyjournal.com/bruins/200309/kirkw22.html
It's rumoured from an inside B's source that they still want Burke. Originally the B's were going to trade Andy Hilbert and a pick for Burke at the draft. PHO wanted more, naturally. Now, Hilbert is injured with a groin strain, so they should want even more than Hilbert and a pick.

What could PHO want? Boston should attempt to expand the deal so as to get one of Phoenix's centers as well (Gratton?). I think anybody could be available outside of Thornton, Samsonov, and Murray. Phoenix could use a better LW, so Rolston is a possibility (Rolston +? for Gratton and Burke?)

Old
09-22-2003, 07:23 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Well...

Rolston would be replacing Savage, and we have Taffe for that. LW isnt a real big concern at the moment.

Hilbert + D stud + pick for Gratton and Burke.

Gratton is playing a crucial role right now as far as 3rd line checking center goes, I dont think management would be willing to trade him away just yet.

A deadline deal is not out of the question.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Well...

A deadline deal is not out of the question.
if the B's are unhappy with their goaltending,wouldn't they want Burke well before the trade deadline?

Old
09-22-2003, 07:31 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
if the B's are unhappy with their goaltending,wouldn't they want Burke well before the trade deadline?

Other teams will also be looking at Burke, to land him before the season starts is going to cost a pretty penny.

A price large enough to make Bruins management try out Potvin for awhile.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Okay

Rolston & Gill (B's +/- leader) for Burke and Gratton?
OR
Knuble & Gill if you think the RW is more of a concern.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
If Raycroft was going to be the backup they would have never gotten Potvin, or Shields would be gone by now.

And Burke was going to get traded it would have happened by now. If the Coyotes think they're in the playoff hunt, they're going to want Sean Burke, who over the past few years has been their best player. Wheather we think they can make it or not is our own opinion.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
09-22-2003, 08:35 PM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
I still think that Burkes value to the yotes is higher than it will be for any other team, so we won't get what we view as fair value.
Also I don't think that the B's will dump potvin after 1 pre season game
That will lead to rushing the decision and more likelihood of a bad one

Old
09-23-2003, 10:15 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
The Coyotes have three good goalies and can only protect one of them, but I think what Phoenix wants most right now is ... Burke. I think they will end up trading one of the other two.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:23 AM
wazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
The Coyotes have three good goalies and can only protect one of them, but I think what Phoenix wants most right now is ... Burke. I think they will end up trading one of the other two.
A team can protect two goalies in the waiver draft...

Old
09-23-2003, 10:32 AM

It'd truely surprise me to see Boston admit their mistake on signing Potvin when he is only signed to a one year deal, they have Shields, and are supposed to be grooming Raycroft. Burke is only a short term solution for teams, and I don't think the Bruins believe they are in contention with him.

Burke makes sense for two teams, Phoenix and Colorado. Unless Boston really impresses again this year and becomes a contender, I don't see it.

Gratton & Rolston each have one year deals right now, Rolston is a UFA this summer where Gratton would be a RFA. I could see them being part of a deal as similar to equal value.

Gratton & Burke for Jillson/Gill & Rolston would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Wouldnt that put Boston in the same position of having 3 goalies to protect? (Burke Potvin Shields). I guess they wouldnt be that worried.

Considering PHX's weak defense the Rolston/Gill for Burke/Gratton wouldnt surprise me. Its entirely possible management will decide they need to reinforce the defense and simultaneously Kolanos' form could make Gratton redundant. Rolston's a fine player but how much does his UFA status devalue him?

Closed Thread