HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
  #126
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I just have no idea what game you were watching if you think reffing was the reason we lost. We got out-skated, out-hit, out-forechecked all afternoon.

The reffing was bad, but the Pens were even worse. This was reminiscent of that 4-1 loss to the Islanders. The team had no jump or energy.

Saying we lost because of the reffing is a crappy excuse for a bad effort by the team. I hope Bylsma and the Pens aren't using it as one because they will lose tomorrow as well if they bring the same effort against the Devils.
They played almost a full period shorthanded.

Other than a few minutes after their first PP in the second period, what exactly did the Devils do 5 on 5?

What did the Pens do 5 on 5? I'm not sure, because they weren't allowed to play much of it.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
  #127
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,142
vCash: 500
I was driving & had to listen on the radio & I thought Lang was just going to go "Screw it I'm out." Seemed really frustrated with the refs & especially the icings.

eXile59 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
  #128
Terrapin
Registered User
 
Terrapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 500
- Everything and everybody involved today

- For the Debbies being the piss-boringest team in the history of the NHL.

- All of the Pens, including Bylsma, for playing undisciplined, immature hockey. Get a bad call or two against you? BFD. They still had the lead or were tied pretty much all game. Malkin takes two ridiculous penalties. Neal takes a stupid penalty at the end. Somebody needs to be a leader on this team.

+ Pretty good fight by Engelland.

Terrapin is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
  #129
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Considering that we were missing arguably 2 of our top D today as well as considering the fact that we had 2 (3 if you count Reese's Pieces) inexperienced D playing, we didn't play so bad defensively.

Offensively, we all know what the issue it and I don't think its just the missing link on Malkin's like. I think a little bit more of a shake up is needed on the wing, most notably the right side on Sid's and Sutter's line. Dupuis should be with Sutter and Sid needs a different element on his right side. The time has passed for Sid to have #9 on his right side.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
  #130
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I was driving & had to listen on the radio & I thought Lang was just going to go "Screw it I'm out." Seemed really frustrated with the refs & especially the icings.
That's another thing nobody's bringing up about this game.

There was one where Boychuk looked like he had taken two strides PAST center before dumping it, and it still got called.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:23 PM
  #131
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Most icings in a game that I can remember.

Sivek is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:24 PM
  #132
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
- Everything and everybody involved today

- For the Debbies being the piss-boringest team in the history of the NHL.

- All of the Pens, including Bylsma, for playing undisciplined, immature hockey. Get a bad call or two against you? BFD. They still had the lead or were tied pretty much all game. Malkin takes two ridiculous penalties. Neal takes a stupid penalty at the end. Somebody needs to be a leader on this team.

+ Pretty good fight by Engelland.
They were holding onto a 1-0 lead for awhile and kept getting calls against them ( no ref bias talk...I don't care about that) , its not like they start taking bad calls out of frustration when they had the lead. It was when they went down 3-1 after allowing two pp goals finally. And malkins penalties do not count as part of the " team" ....he always does that...no matter the score

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  #133
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Considering that we were missing arguably 2 of our top D today as well as considering the fact that we had 2 (3 if you count Reese's Pieces) inexperienced D playing, we didn't play so bad defensively.

Offensively, we all know what the issue it and I don't think its just the missing link on Malkin's like. I think a little bit more of a shake up is needed on the wing, most notably the right side on Sid's and Sutter's line. Dupuis should be with Sutter and Sid needs a different element on his right side. The time has passed for Sid to have #9 on his right side.
You are not alone in thinking that.

Look, that's on Ray Shero. At some point, he's going to have to decide whether it's more important that he only ever 'win' the deal or perhaps sometimes overpay according to the geniuses who decide what overpaying means and instead 'win' by putting Sid and Geno in the best position possible to win on the ice.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  #134
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 500
And for once, just once, can we just blame Malkin being a baby on Malkin being a baby?

I get that he gets frustrated, but he's as big a flake as we've ever had.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  #135
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
I understand we need help on the wings, but does every post game thread have to turn into excuse making for Malkin? He took dumb penalties that cost the team and it has nothing to do with Boychuk. He also plays with one of the premier wingers in the entire league. Would I like an upgrade on his left side? Sure. But that doesn't mean Geno shouldn't be held accountable for dumb decisions.

TheSniper26 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
  #136
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
I dunno if any of u gamble on NHL or pay attention to the lines on the game but the line had a pretty big jump into NJ favor about a half hour before the game started.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:28 PM
  #137
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I just have no idea what game you were watching if you think reffing was the reason we lost. We got out-skated, out-hit, out-forechecked all afternoon.
I seem to remember us hitting and forechecking quite a bit to start the game. I think if we think real hard, we can probably isolate the reason why that didn't continue.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:29 PM
  #138
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
As long as Malkin doesn't start " dying alive" I will accept his occasional tantrums

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:29 PM
  #139
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Lesshaus > Morehaus
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And for once, just once, can we just blame Malkin being a baby on Malkin being a baby?

I get that he gets frustrated, but he's as big a flake as we've ever had.
I am dying alive trying to understand your post.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  #140
sexyllama
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
+ Bort and Eng
- Line #1 & 2 can barely cycle the puck
-- Still like that god awful stretch pass? It should be 33% of our breakout strategy not the only strategy
-- Wow, so undisciplined. We reverted back to Philly Playoffs
--- NHL. Hockey. Ref's. A question to everyone? Is this really what we want Hockey to look like?

sexyllama is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:30 PM
  #141
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I understand we need help on the wings, but does every post game thread have to turn into excuse making for Malkin? He took dumb penalties that cost the team and it has nothing to do with Boychuk. He also plays with one of the premier wingers in the entire league. Would I like an upgrade on his left side? Sure. But that doesn't mean Geno shouldn't be held accountable for dumb decisions.
And, I'll ask you the same question that I asked MTLPenFan: Who excused Geno tonight?

I mean, Sid didn't dominate because Kunitz and Dupuis played like ***. But, somehow, with Geno, it's not reasonable to note the same about a position that has had the same effect as Kunitz and Dupuis playing like *** ALL SEASON.

Like you can't say 'this is one thing' about his play and, after the same game say 'but you know if Boychuk isn't on the LW, Brodeur probably is on the bench before the refs get involved'.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-09-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Cut out the sarcastic / snark
KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
  #142
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I am dying alive trying to understand your post.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
  #143
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You are not alone in thinking that.

Look, that's on Ray Shero. At some point, he's going to have to decide whether it's more important that he only ever 'win' the deal or perhaps sometimes overpay according to the geniuses who decide what overpaying means and instead 'win' by putting Sid and Geno in the best position possible to win on the ice.
Do we have confirmation of any deals Shero turned down that would lead us to this conclusion?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
  #144
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Oh, it's not that easy, especially when people would want Ray's precious defensive prospects. Must . . . keep . . . all . . . costs.

Seriously, I'll put it this way: If Rejan can resolve the L1 RW and L2 LW situations, then Sid and Geno will have the help they need to overcome playoff opposition, the Flower adventures, young defensemen, and, yes, even their own coach's gameplan.
...Rejan?

nhindian is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:32 PM
  #145
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I am dying alive trying to understand your post.
He gets frustrated because he's easily rattled and lets his tantrums affect the team.

Just seems to me that there's a built in excuse for him when he's not playing well or taking hissy fits that lead to untimely penalties.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  #146
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You are not alone in thinking that.

Look, that's on Ray Shero. At some point, he's going to have to decide whether it's more important that he only ever 'win' the deal or perhaps sometimes overpay according to the geniuses who decide what overpaying means and instead 'win' by putting Sid and Geno in the best position possible to win on the ice.
Maybe he should take a page out of LA's book. They addressed one of their obvious needs (scoring drought from the wing) last year by going after Carter @ the trade deadline... and we all know how that turned out.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #147
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Do we have confirmation of any deals Shero turned down that would lead us to this conclusion?
Gotta make a trade ten games into the season, not sit back and evaluate which players we should acquire come deadline....seeing who can come in and help this year and not base it on prior seasons play


Last edited by WarriorScholar: 02-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #148
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And, I'll ask you the same question that I asked MTLPenFan: Who excused Geno tonight?

I mean, Sid didn't dominate because Kunitz and Dupuis played like ***. But, somehow, with Geno, it's not reasonable to note the same about a position that has had the same effect as Kunitz and Dupuis playing like *** ALL SEASON.

I swear, it's as if some people here are only capable of thinking one thing of a players game. Like you can't say 'this is one thing' about his play and, after the same game say 'but you know if Boychuk isn't on the LW, Brodeur probably is on the bench before the refs get involved'.

Look, I get it. Thinking more than one thing about a player after a game is tough for some people. Doesn't mean that you need to imagine that it's similarly tough for others.
You say it over and over and over. You're on the same "More help for Malkin/The coach sucks!" crusade every year. And we hear about it after every single game.

And I'm not going to bother responding to your "you're only capable of thinking one thing" insult.

TheSniper26 is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #149
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
...Rejan?
Don't laugh, that's Shero's actual name. Freddy married a french girl.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #150
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
...Rejan?
Ditto, who's Rejan?

Please don't say Houle. LOL

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.