HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #151
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Don't laugh, that's Shero's actual name. Freddy married a french girl.
Raymonde = Ray in Quebec???

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #152
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He gets frustrated because he's easily rattled and lets his tantrums affect the team.

Just seems to me that there's a built in excuse for him when he's not playing well or taking hissy fits that lead to untimely penalties.
And, again, who built in any excuse.

IMO, the meltdown had zip to do with Boychuk being a black hole and everything to do with his letting the Devils get under his skin.

BUT, believe it or not, some of us can look at this game and say (1) Malkin's meltdown is unacceptable and (2) a game like this really exposes what has been a season long problem on Malkin's LW, because the way he and Neal were going in the first, his LW did more to shut him down than the Devils.

Apparently, for some people here, Malkin's meltdown is a convenient excuse to overlook what continues to be an obvious personnel problem that is on the GM (for not addressing it) and the coach (for continuing to throw Boychuk out there).

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #153
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Don't laugh, that's Shero's actual name. Freddy married a french girl.
It's Rejean

nhindian is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #154
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He gets frustrated because he's easily rattled and lets his tantrums affect the team.

Just seems to me that there's a built in excuse for him when he's not playing well or taking hissy fits that lead to untimely penalties.
I grant you people aren't as hard on Geno when he does that and that there's no excuse at this stage for losing your cool in a close game, especially when you're about to get a PP (the worst one he took)... but I wouldn't call Malkin a flake. Jagr was a flake / moody / irrational / etc. Malkin simply was undisciplined and deserves to be called out for being that.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:36 PM
  #155
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,852
vCash: 500
The refs called a bad game and the Pens were on the recieving end and got screwed. I am sure Orpik told that ref to shove how whistle up his Devil loving ass. Which to be honest given how I feel about the importance of regular season games I am glad he did because it was deserved.

That said it happens. You just deal with it and the Pens did not deal with it well.

Some positives.

1) I have always been one, especially in the regular season, who cares more about HOW a team plays than the score. Move aside how the Pens lost it at the end, and how the game was ****ed up by the refs. The Pens played the type of hockey you need to to win in the playoffs for most of the game. They did something I had been saying that they were incapable of, adjusting and playing a system to deal with the kind of hockey you will see in the playoffs.

2. The defense. Bort and Despres stepping up as they have is huge. It means we have a lot of competition, and will have a very solid defense. Martin and Orpik as well have become everything we hoped after subpar years.

Those two make me feel a lot better going forward.

This game? meaningless but the refs blew horribly. Unless you read the main board where Devil fans are complaining that the refs screwed them and are posting videos to 'prove' it. And I do not care what crew is on for tomorrow nights' game I am going to be on them constantly. I hope the entire crowd is having witnessed this. Maybe they will give us some makeup calls.

Jaded-Fan is online now  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
  #156
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And, again, who built in any excuse.

IMO, the meltdown had zip to do with Boychuk being a black hole and everything to do with his letting the Devils get under his skin.

BUT, believe it or not, some of us can look at this game and say (1) Malkin's meltdown is unacceptable and (2) a game like this really exposes what has been a season long problem on Malkin's LW, because the way he and Neal were going in the first, his LW did more to shut him down than the Devils.

Apparently, for some people here, Malkin's meltdown is a convenient excuse to overlook what continues to be an obvious personnel problem that is on the GM (for not addressing it) and the coach (for continuing to throw Boychuk out there).
Dude you are making it seem like Boychuk pulled a Kovy and leveled Malkin and then took a slapper into his foot.

nhindian is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
  #157
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Gotta make a trade ten games into the season, not sit back and evaluate which payers we should acquire come deadline....seeing who can come in and help this year and not base it in prior seasons play
I predict a move before Wednesday's game especially if we experience difficulties score tomorrow.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  #158
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Raymonde = Ray in Quebec???
I guess you can look at it that way.

Make no mistake, Ray's birth certificate has him as "Rejan".

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  #159
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Do we have confirmation of any deals Shero turned down that would lead us to this conclusion?
Sorry, I forgot, he's really trying. Better?

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
  #160
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
James Neil played better than Brandon Suter today, but we missed Jordan Stoll's ability to score short handed .
fixed.

Crafton is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
  #161
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I predict a move before Wednesday's game especially if we experience difficulties score tomorrow.
Seems a little early for that but anything's possible. Ray is a patient dude.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
  #162
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 10,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I grant you people aren't as hard on Geno when he does that and that there's no excuse at this stage for losing your cool in a close game, especially when you're about to get a PP (the worst one he took)... but I wouldn't call Malkin a flake. Jagr was a flake / moody / irrational / etc. Malkin simply was undisciplined and deserves to be called out for being that.
I'm not comparing him to Jags, but the kid does seem bipolar at times.

MtlPenFan is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
  #163
Pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Like I said if people want to use reffing as an excuse, be my guest. But even when it was 5 on 5 or when we were on the powerplay we still looked really bad.

But I'm of the opinion that if you put yourself in a position where reffing can cost you a game then you didn't play well anyways.

The Pens should be better than using that as an excuse. Buck up and make your own breaks. Complaining about things that are out of your control is a loser mentality.

Pancakes is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
  #164
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'm not comparing him to Jags, but the kid does seem bipolar at times.
Maybe he's tired of all the Canadian kids picking on him, just because he drinks brake fluid occasionally and sleeps till noon every day? Damn Ruskies!

I don't know... everyone's got their personality flaws. I kind of agree with the "take the good with the bad" theory of Geno's temper.

Sometimes it kills us, sometimes it kills them. More often them.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
  #165
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Like I said if people want to use reffing as an excuse, be my guest. But even when it was 5 on 5 or when we were on the powerplay we still looked really bad.

But I'm of the opinion that if you put yourself in a position where reffing can cost you a game then you didn't play well anyways.

The Pens should be better than using that as an excuse. Buck up and make your own breaks. Complaining about things that are out of your control is a loser mentality.
That seems far too practical for a message board.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
  #166
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,133
vCash: 500
Things are just better off not said, but again, I'm not trying to win a hockey game.


It's the BHL.

Ugene Malkin is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
  #167
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover
 
Zen Arcade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I seem to remember us hitting and forechecking quite a bit to start the game. I think if we think real hard, we can probably isolate the reason why that didn't continue.
The second Vitale hit was this game in a nutshell. The Pens kill off some penalties and get the puck deep, Vitale throws a clean hit to try to establish a cycle and he's called for boarding. That's partly on the refs and partly on Greene for seeing him coming and trying to turn his back and buy one. The worst part is even though Greene did everything in his power to take the hit in the numbers, it was mostly shoulder to shoulder and it was still somehow a penalty.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just incompetence.

Zen Arcade is online now  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:46 PM
  #168
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
He's tired of all the Canadian kids for picking on him just because he drinks brake fluid and sleeps till noon every day?
Well, that's understandable. Anyway, one more to go, and the Pens will be a euro free zone at long last.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:48 PM
  #169
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Sorry, I forgot, he's really trying. Better?
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
  #170
Hophog
Registered User
 
Hophog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The refs called a bad game and the Pens were on the recieving end and got screwed. I am sure Orpik told that ref to shove how whistle up his Devil loving ass. Which to be honest given how I feel about the importance of regular season games I am glad he did because it was deserved.

That said it happens. You just deal with it and the Pens did not deal with it well.

Some positives.

1) I have always been one, especially in the regular season, who cares more about HOW a team plays than the score. Move aside how the Pens lost it at the end, and how the game was ****ed up by the refs. The Pens played the type of hockey you need to to win in the playoffs for most of the game. They did something I had been saying that they were incapable of, adjusting and playing a system to deal with the kind of hockey you will see in the playoffs.

2. The defense. Bort and Despres stepping up as they have is huge. It means we have a lot of competition, and will have a very solid defense. Martin and Orpik as well have become everything we hoped after subpar years.

Those two make me feel a lot better going forward.

This game? meaningless but the refs blew horribly. Unless you read the main board where Devil fans are complaining that the refs screwed them and are posting videos to 'prove' it. And I do not care what crew is on for tomorrow nights' game I am going to be on them constantly. I hope the entire crowd is having witnessed this. Maybe they will give us some makeup calls.
I tend to agree with this. The Pens looked very capable of winning this game 1-0. I didn't let myself believe it would happen but they were doing a good job a limiting Jersey's chances and put enough pressure on Marty to remain a threat to put another one in. Of course this was all while killing penalty after penalty. That many kills is going to wear any team down and eventually catch up with you even if you kill them all.

I'm happy to see they aren't giving up the typical break away and seemed to have good pressure on their power play attempts and have limited the chances teams were getting short handed against them. They look like a team that is learning to play the right way and I think that's a huge positive. There isn't anything you can do with regard to the officials that will be calling an entirely different game come the playoffs anyway. They will still lack consistency but the rules will be completely different by then.

Hophog is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:49 PM
  #171
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
The second Vitale hit was this game in a nutshell. The Pens kill off some penalties and get the puck deep, Vitale throws a clean hit to try to establish a cycle and he's called for boarding. That's partly on the refs and partly on Greene for seeing him coming and trying to turn his back and buy one. The worst part is even though Greene did everything in his power to take the hit in the numbers, it was mostly shoulder to shoulder and it was still somehow a penalty.

It's not a conspiracy, it's just incompetence.
Yep, totally agree.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:51 PM
  #172
crosby is the sauce
Registered User
 
crosby is the sauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
-malkin play[ed like crap]
-everyone else taking bad penalties too

+ despres


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-09-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
crosby is the sauce is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  #173
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Knock off the snark, guys; we can agree to disagree about Malkin and how much of our collective, ultra-meaningful message board blame we should heap upon him.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  #174
Mondello
Makin' the scene...
 
Mondello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PGH, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Poor officiating caused Geno to loose his mind and make poor decisions and caused Sid to cough up the puck a lot more that usual. Crap officiating or not, the Pens did not deserve to win this game.

Mondello is offline  
Old
02-09-2013, 03:55 PM
  #175
nhindian
Registered User
 
nhindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
I just don't understand some of the calls not going both ways. Get some crap interference on us, then on the same play that Clarkson got a slash on Malkin, Greene interferes with him and drags him down. Were they afraid to call two penalties at once?

Of course, Malkin negated the Clarkson PP by 'roughing'

nhindian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.