HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 04:55 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Poor officiating caused Geno to loose his mind and make poor decisions and caused Sid to cough up the puck a lot more that usual. Crap officiating or not, the Pens did not deserve to win this game.
No, they didn't. And, frankly, they should have buried the Devils in the first anyway.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.
That's why I said he's trying.

Old
gordie

Where was Dustin Jeffrey in this game? Doesn't this coaching staff believe in playing skill players on lower lines against teams that have trouble scoring goals (NJ Devils)? [I feel like having Vitale as the only skilled player on the 4th line, limits his effectiveness.] We'll see if Bylsma is a day late and a dollar short and inserts Jeffrey at the CEC tomorrow.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-09-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Gordie didn't actually call Vitale a slug... he knows truth when he sees it.
Old
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.
Notwithstanding the fact a few of current contracts likely won't be renewed, won't a huge chunk of the cap space be eaten up when the caps drops next year?

Old
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Notwithstanding the fact a few of current contracts likely won't be renewed, won't a huge chunk of the cap space be eaten up when the caps drops next year?
I'm sure he'll try to come up with something. Ray Shero really tries, and trying, not advancing in the playoffs, is what counts.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The thing is, better asset management is to make a trade AFTER these guys prove it in the NHL some. Look at Bort and Despres. In a couple of weeks I would bet anything each of their trade values doubled.

Either trade a guy like Martin or Niskanen for full trade value and count on these kids to step up. A risky proposition to be sure. Or give these kids a month or two to prove their value. Trading prospects is the WORST asset management possible because you are lucky to get the pick you spent on them.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Poor officiating caused Geno to loose his mind and make poor decisions and caused Sid to cough up the puck a lot more that usual. Crap officiating or not, the Pens did not deserve to win this game.
Any team who spends over an entire period in the box shouldn't win, deserved or not.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I just don't understand some of the calls not going both ways. Get some crap interference on us, then on the same play that Clarkson got a slash on Malkin, Greene interferes with him and drags him down. Were they afraid to call two penalties at once?

Of course, Malkin negated the Clarkson PP by 'roughing'
Yeah, that was my breaking point. That "rough" had to be the most mild case of roughing I've ever seen called. It was a joke. Yeah, maybe Malkin should recognize the situation and skate away but come on! A rough? More than that happens in front of the net on every single shot on goal in every single game. Clearly the refs were sending a message that they were irritated with the Pens IMO.

This is my last post about the officiating though. I just had to get it off my chest. It pains me to even refer to them as officials after that pathetic display. The average borderline fan could have done a better job of calling this game fairly and evenly.

Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Cool. Then we should reserve judgement, I think.

Hard as it can be to watch sometimes, this team has the players to get into good playoff position in the regular season. But if Shero hasn't acquired a legit scoring winger by the deadline, then I think he rightfully deserves criticism.

Quote:
We have movable contracts if we acquire the right winger. Staal being a core guy kind of gummed up the machinery.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Where was Dustin Jeffrey in this game? Doesn't this coaching staff believe in playing skill players on lower lines against teams that have trouble scoring goals (NJ Devils)? [I feel like having Vitale as the only skilled player on the 4th line, limits his effectiveness.] We'll see if Bylsma is a day late and a dollar short and inserts Jeffrey at the CEC tomorrow.
sitting Vitale would be a terrible decision.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

If you read the main board the Pens got all the calls this game, oh and the usual Crosby is a punk stuff.

I am proud of our fanbase that no matter what faults we have we keep our griping mostly to this board. After games like this it is natural to vent but good that we mostly keep it in family.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
How about Boychuk then?

Oops, my bad, he's trying . . .

Old
02-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The thing is, better asset management is to make a trade AFTER these guys prove it in the NHL some. Look at Bort and Despres. In a couple of weeks I would bet anything each of their trade values doubled.

Either trade a guy like Martin or Niskanen for full trade value and count on these kids to step up. A risky proposition to be sure. Or give these kids a month or two to prove their value. Trading prospects is the WORST asset management possible because you are lucky to get the pick you spent on them.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Timing is everything when making trades. Just like we landed James Neal by buying low, the best thing would be to sell high on someone...not trade away guys like Tangradi or Jeffrey who still need to establish themselves.

Hell, trading Paul Martin now sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Well done, Jaded.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
How about Boychuk then?

Oops, my bad, he's trying . . .
I'd at least move him.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I'd at least move him.
Don't say that too loudly.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Glad someone has some sense around here. BTW did you see my comment at the end about NJ's announcers? THe one guy went Full Steigy in the last 5 minutes. Was all he could do to hold back the Hobie Baker jokes.

Let's see there was

"the goalie's shi t pads"

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

"Just watch those Devils, Ray. They are the best in the world at making great offensive teams less offensive." (He actually claims to have said that to Shero, who he claims asked him "How do the Devils do it?")

It was... surreal.

But again they were never the type of homers that do this:

"Oh that call against our team was ****!"

"Oh that **** call against the opposing team was deserved!"

They were pretty reasonable when it came to not being anti-Penguin. But that's about all they were, as it turns out. Like I said almost as bad as Steigy.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Glad someone has some sense around here. BTW did you see my comment at the end about NJ's announcers? THe one guy went Full Steigy in the last 5 minutes. Was all he could do to hold back the Hobie Baker jokes.

Let's see there was

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

"Just watch those Devils, Ray. They are the best in the world at making great offensive teams less offensive." (He actually claims to have said that to Shero, who he claims asked him "How do the Devils do it?")

It was... surreal.

They were pretty reasonable when it came to not being anti-Penguin. But that's about all they were, as it turns out. Like I said almost as bad as Steigy.
Doc used to be able to control Chico.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Timing is everything when making trades. Just like we landed James Neal by buying low, the best thing would be to sell high on someone...not trade away guys like Tangradi or Jeffrey who still need to establish themselves.

Hell, trading Paul Martin now sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Well done, Jaded.
Paul Martin has been a rock on the blueline, let's trade him for wingerz!!!!!!! and have Bortuzzo play against the Ovi's and Nash's of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

great idea

Old
02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Let's see there was

"Ground Hog Dejavu"

It was... surreal.

"Oh wow, great call by the officials there on that interference by Engelland!"
"Great play by Larsson there to tie up Despres and stop him getting to that loose puck!"

Old
02-09-2013, 05:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Paul Martin has been a rock on the blueline, let's trade him for wingerz!!!!!!! and have Bortuzzo play against the Ovi's and Nash's of the world!!!!!!!!!!!

great idea
Great as in the same person saying 'let's not get Geno and Neal a LW; let's take more time to see what we've got with BOYCHUKTANGRADIKENNEDYJEFFREY, as if to suggest it's not obvious?

Old
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

++ Martin. I am absolutely jaw-dropped by this guy this season. He is like a completely different player. So much confidence. Pens are finally getting a $5.5 million per year player out of that contract.

- Penalties. I won't blame the officials, part of the game is figuring out what you can and can't get away with. After the first few, these guys should have buckled down and played super-clean. They didn't, so they paid the price.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:27 PM
WarriorScholar

Somebody doing their best geno impression today

Old
02-09-2013, 05:31 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
++ Martin. I am absolutely jaw-dropped by this guy this season. He is like a completely different player. So much confidence. Pens are finally getting a $5.5 million per year player out of that contract.

- Penalties. I won't blame the officials, part of the game is figuring out what you can and can't get away with. After the first few, these guys should have buckled down and played super-clean. They didn't, so they paid the price.
Exactly. Martin playing at this level is beyond huge for us. With bort and despres stepping up as well, if all that continues and our only problem is needing another top 6 winger, after what we witnessed in last years playoffs...im one happy guy

Old
02-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Doc used to be able to control Chico.
Yah I think that's right... Chico. WTF that guy is loony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
"Oh wow, great call by the officials there on that interference by Engelland!"
"Great play by Larsson there to tie up Despres and stop him getting to that loose puck!"
I think Larsson actually did have a pretty good game the couple plays I saw him make. But when some people get called for playing hockey normally (within what we thought were the rules), and others don't it makes all the commentary look bad.

They noted a few times how the calls being made were borderline / the league is calling everything so... FWIW... just making note they weren't that bad / didn't make me miss Steigy and Errey and Potash. Not until the end, anyway.

"Dude you're sittin' too close to Potash!"

Old
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Exactly. Martin playing at this level is beyond huge for us. With bort and despres stepping up as well, if all that continues and our only problem is needing another top 6 winger, after what we witnessed in last years playoffs...im one happy guy
The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?

Closed Thread