HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pen(alties) vs. Devils - 2 big points lost

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 04:35 PM
cheesedanish87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just saying people seem to create these trade scenarios in their heads and then criticize Shero for not following through. To me, it's like getting mad at a friend for something he did in your dream.

Shero's dealt multiple 1st rounders and promising young players for wingers before. Now that he has the cap space and assets (post-Staal), I'm confident he'll make a move for another scoring winger before the deadline.
Luckily sheo is alot smarter then any of us on this board. If this board was in charge of the pens we would of traded or bought out martin already. Traded Despres to the wild for their 4th line winger. Traded pretty much anybody on our team for torontos 3rd line winger with 7 goals last year. Fired DB after the NYI game.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Yah I think that's right... Chico. WTF that guy is loony.

I think Larsson actually did have a pretty good game the couple plays I saw him make. But when some people get called for playing hockey normally (within what we thought were the rules), and others don't it makes all the commentary look bad.

They noted a few times how the calls being made were borderline / the league is calling everything so... FWIW... just making note they weren't that bad / didn't make me miss Steigy and Errey and Potash. Not until the end, anyway.

"Dude you're sittin' too close to Potash!"
One good thing about listening to the other team's broadcast is that if you're feeling masochistic, you can wade into the mainboard and see who actually forms their own opinions on games and who just parrots what their announcers tell them.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:38 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Luckily sheo is alot smarter then any of us on this board. If this board was in charge of the pens we would of traded or bought out martin already. Traded Despres to the wild for their 4th line winger. Traded pretty much anybody on our team for torontos 3rd line winger with 7 goals last year. Fired DB after the NYI game.
Don't forget 'done something after another early playoff exit'.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:39 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?
This isnt the 90s. As much as I'd love for us to add Perry, Iginla, and kulemin for the perfect lineup heading into playoffs, I dont see it as realistic. Sucks for us we have the two best centers in the world preventing us from adding a couple more 7mil players.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I'm not going to worry too much about this game. Some of the things I've been worrying about creeped back up again, especially lack of discipline. Some calls were a joke, others legit.

I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss. The Devils are so positionally sound, that the Pens had trouble getting anything going. This is what it is going to be like come playoff time and the further you get, the tighter the checking will be.

Basically, I'm just waiting to see how Shero shapes this roster and how DB coaches in the playoffs.

Until then I'm not going to get bent out of shape/excited about bad losses (**** happens) or winning streaks. The only thing that will get me off the hinge is a long losing streak because that simply can't happen in a shortened season.

For this game I'm taking a positive out of it, that Bort and Despres are holding their own and not doing anything stupid. Someone said Bort had a lot of turnovers this game, which I couldn't disagree with anymore. I didn't see any big mistakes or bad turnovers from either rookie this game.

Watching MB try and dance with the puck and fall on his ass was hilarious and I was cracking up. Seeing him laugh about it was funny as hell.

It's just a game, gotta enjoy it.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:44 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
This isnt the 90s. As much as I'd love for us to add Perry, Iginla, and kulemin for the perfect lineup heading into playoffs, I dont see it as realistic. Sucks for us we have the two best centers in the world preventing us from adding a couple more 7mil players.
I didn't realize that Kulemin made 7M per year. Thank you for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I'm not going to worry too much about this game. Some of the things I've been worrying about creeped back up again, especially lack of discipline. Some calls were a joke, others legit.

I'm not going to blame the refs for the loss. The Devils are so positionally sound, that the Pens had trouble getting anything going. This is what it is going to be like come playoff time and the further you get, the tighter the checking will be.

Basically, I'm just waiting to see how Shero shapes this roster and how DB coaches in the playoffs.

Until then I'm not going to get bent out of shape/excited about bad losses (**** happens) or winning streaks. The only thing that will get me off the hinge is a long losing streak because that simply can't happen in a shortened season.

For this game I'm taking a positive out of it, that Bort and Despres are holding their own and not doing anything stupid. Someone said Bort had a lot of turnovers this game, which I couldn't disagree with anymore. I didn't see any big mistakes or bad turnovers from either rookie this game.

Watching MB try and dance with the puck and fall on his ass was hilarious and I was cracking up. Seeing him laugh about it was funny as hell.

Jiggy, this is the type of game where Sid having two third wheels for wingers and Geno and Neal having a guy who's not a roster player on half the teams in the league for a LW rear their ugly heads.

Sid needed someone to help make a play. Geno and Neal actually generated a lot in the first, only to have Boychuk do his Letang on the PP black hole impersonation.

Those two issues get addressed, and in a game like this Sid and Geno would've chased Marty in the first.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
#pens 2nd line LW slot this season is equivalent of clearing snow for car spot then having truck plow you in anyway. #TribHKY

Last edited by KIRK: 02-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
The Pens have three playoff caliber wingers for the top six right now?
Kunitz and Neal clearly are, and Dupuis is more than servicable. All we need is one legitimate top 6 guy. I'd even take another third liner who be a tweener in the top 6 at this point. Expecting Shero to bring in two top 6 upgrades is unrealistic.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
I didn't realize that Kulemin made 7M per year. Thank you for clarifying.
Sorry. The way some people talk about him, thoughtfor sure he was making at least 8.

Jokes are over for the day. Id actually like to add ( realistically) kulemin for malkin and vrbata for crosby, without having to give up niskanen who we will need come playoff time. Picks and prospects.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
the linesmen seemed to have no clue what the rules of icing are, and then by the end the 'everything must be called' ******** wound up helping decide the game.
I loved Cooke's face when his dump in from the blue line was blown icing. Quite funny, but yes, pretty frustrating game all round really.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
What a cop out excuse. Staal and michaleks salary was replaced with Surtter and Tanner Glass. We have more than enough cap room to bring in some respectable players.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:58 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 114
Frustratng game for sure although I figured we'd be due to lose one.

As long as we win tomarrow night and split wins with NJ this weekend I'm happy.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Didn't catch the game today. Who were the refs? Just wondering if they're notoriously bad, or if this was just a bad game for them.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
JTG

Glad I had to miss this one.

It seems as though the refs have been a little rough around the edges this year. I've been watching more of other teams than usual, and I know from watching a bunch of other games, this boarding issue has got to be sorted out immediately. It's called one way one night, and another way the next.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:05 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Didn't catch the game today. Who were the refs? Just wondering if they're notoriously bad, or if this was just a bad game for them.
Looked like Auger and his blind dog

Old
02-09-2013, 05:12 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:

Have to say, this is pretty much where I'm at. I thought going in to the game we were due for a loss, and when Bibs started talking about it being Marty's 1,200th regular season game, I figured he'd be 'on' ... hilarious gaffe aside.

I've seen some adjustments, as far as Bylsma goes that have given me some hope, but that the changes came when even the main-stream media were speculating he'd be the first coach fired ... well ... like you I'm more concerned about the playoffs.

My plus for the game ... now that his point streak is broken Sid will be shaving off the skank 'stache.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:

In a morbid sort of way, I kind of like to see the Pens lose these types of games once in a while just to remind them (management) that they still could use some help in their top six. When goals are easy to come by, like during the winning streak, I just worry that Shero might think we're OK up front. But a loss like today once in a while (not often) could be the constant reminder that he's got work to do.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Great as in the same person saying 'let's not get Geno and Neal a LW; let's take more time to see what we've got with BOYCHUKTANGRADIKENNEDYJEFFREY, as if to suggest it's not obvious?
Oh the second line definitely needs a winger, but not at the expense of paul martin unless we're talking a bobby ryan type player which obviously isn't going to happen.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Have to say, this is pretty much where I'm at. I thought going in to the game we were due for a loss, and when Bibs started talking about it being Marty's 1,200th regular season game, I figured he'd be 'on' ... hilarious gaffe aside.

I've seen some adjustments, as far as Bylsma goes that have given me some hope, but that the changes came when even the main-stream media were speculating he'd be the first coach fired ... well ... like you I'm more concerned about the playoffs.

My plus for the game ... now that his point streak is broken Sid will be shaving off the skank 'stache.
They could win twenty in a row and I'd still be worried about the playoffs.... how Crosby and Malkin have to go into God mode to beat tight checking, if DB can make adjustments, keep his team disciplined, take advantage of line match ups, etc.

Until I see these things not being problems come playoff time, nothing in the reg season will convince me.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
In a morbid sort of way, I kind of like to see the Pens lose these types of games once in a while just to remind them (management) that they still could use some help in their top six. When goals are easy to come by, like during the winning streak, I just worry that Shero might think we're OK up front. But a loss like today once in a while (not often) could be the constant reminder that he's got work to do.
It isn't morbid, just realistic.

Malkin and Crosby mask problems up front.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

I like how Root Sports did a spot on Scott Stevens, then showed Orpik on the ice with dingbat Steigerwald comparing some of his hits to Stevens.

Then Orpik proceeds to stand around watching the puck after the faceoff, blowing his assignment causing a goal.

I give a minus to Fleury. Bench him. He is making $5million a year, he should be able to stop every single shot against him on the PK.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

To lose our win streak was disappointing, as it was to see Crosby held pointless but we have to focus on the game tomorrow now. Going 5 unbeaten was still a big achievement, how many times do teams go that many unbeaten?

We need to make sure we get revenge on them tomorrow and repeat our earlier home appearance against them and embarrass Brodeur/Hedberg.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
So you're telling me the stupid slashing penalties and retaliatory penalties (especially by Geno) spurned on by frustration, and the unsportsmanlike penalty for trashing the ref weren't deserved?

The Vitale penalty, yes. That was an awful call. But the temper tantrum this team threw today because of the refs was embarrassing.
Pretty much how I saw it.

Devils played better for about the last 45 minutes of that game.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Pretty much how I saw it.

Devils played better for about the last 45 minutes of that game.
If the officials let everything go, you adjust your game according. If they call the game as they did today, you adjust your game accordingly.

Full credit to the Dev's for adapting so quickly to how the refs were calling it and milking it for what it's worth. That was the difference between the two teams for mine.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

You know what's frustrating? Even the New Jersey Devils under GM Lou Lamoriello, notorious for over-ripening prospects and having them play the Devils way for years down on the farm...EVEN New Jersey has an 18-year-old first-round draft pick winger...playing on the top line, scoring his first today.

So. Frustrating.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:04 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
If the officials let everything go, you adjust your game according. If they call the game as they did today, you adjust your game accordingly.

Full credit to the Dev's for adapting so quickly to how the refs were calling it and milking it for what it's worth. That was the difference between the two teams for mine.
Devils didn't adapt. They did many of the same things but weren't called for it.

Just inconsistency. Annoying, but I guess it happens

Closed Thread