HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
It would sure be wild to see Sasha go #1, with Murray already in the fold in Columbus. I think they'll take MacKinnon #1, personally, but you never know.
Given the latest ranks though, Barkov ranges anywhere from a top 5 to the early teens ... If LA or the Rag's pick is in that middle range, you wonder if Columbus would try to sit and wait to see if Barkov falls, or at least falls low enough where they could trade up without giving anything significant up

Intriguing scenario

Old
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Given the latest ranks though, Barkov ranges anywhere from a top 5 to the early teens ... If LA or the Rag's pick is in that middle range, you wonder if Columbus would try to sit and wait to see if Barkov falls, or at least falls low enough where they could trade up without giving anything significant up

Intriguing scenario
If Barkov slides it would be no further than #5 IMO

Another interesting scenario is the LOVE the Isles have for Ryan Murray(wanted to trade their entire draft for him in 2012)! If the Isles are holding a top 5 pick again maybe Jarmo takes Jones #1 and trades Murray for Barkov...

That would give them Jones #1 + Barkov #5 + Ristolainen #10 + Lehkonen #20

Old
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
If Barkov slides it would be no further than #5 IMO

Another interesting scenario is the LOVE the Isles have for Ryan Murray(wanted to trade their entire draft for him in 2012)! If the Isles are holding a top 5 pick again maybe Jarmo takes Jones #1 and trades Murray for Barkov...

That would give them Jones #1 + Barkov #5 + Ristolainen #10 + Lehkonen #20
If I'm not mistaken, Jarmo mentioned, upon taking the job, having to be extra critical of Finnish born players, as he'll only take them if they make sense with the pick they hold. He's quite conscious of the idea of people thinking he would take Finns because of his background and history with them.

Despite that, it may work out that Barkov and Ristolainen make sense with two of their picks, and I wouldn't blame him for taking them. Two great hockey players with bright futures ahead of them

Old
02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
The way the Kings are playing right now they might not have to trade up at all. If the season ended today they would have the 2nd, 3rd and the 14th overall. They could be in for a speedy rebuild. I do think LA will get going soon enough and Rangers will most likely be a playoff team as well.
Sure would go a long ways to putting the Kessel trade to bed

Old
02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Sure would go a long ways to putting the Kessel trade to bed
LA and CBJ dont have enough fans for that happening I am afraid. And the Kings lost their first and won the cup. We lost our first and Boston won the cup.

But I hear less and less of the Kessel deal so hopefully it will somewhat die out soon. With Burke being gone it might help.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:17 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

The way Kadri is playing, we need a 2 way complimentary Center like Monahan. But looks unlikely with the way this team is playing now.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:52 AM
ErnieLeafs

Seth Jones has been a beast. He's a physically imposing kid, with the future offense to be a #1 for years. This draft will be interesting from 1-20.

Old
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Badger Mayhew*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The way Kadri is playing, we need a 2 way complimentary Center like Monahan. But looks unlikely with the way this team is playing now.
Lazar seems like the best bet for where the Leafs are picking at this rate (15-20)

Old
02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Lazar seems like the best bet for where the Leafs are picking at this rate (15-20)
If we pick in that range it's likely we're not taking a centerman. A Winger or a defenseman look a better bet.

Wennberg is the only one I'd be confident in taking at the moment, With maybe two others who could rise up the rankings.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Were going to make some trades with all the surplus bodies..

if we get another late first and another 2nd should we not trade up in the draft?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
If we get a late first I would not be surprised if Domi was our guy for obvious reasons.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Badger Mayhew*

I'm curious if Max Domi has a mean streak like his father?

Old
02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Sundinisagod
Liljegren please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Seth Jones has been a beast. He's a physically imposing kid, with the future offense to be a #1 for years. This draft will be interesting from 1-20.
On paper at least, he's my dream partner for Rielly. A rh 2-way beast like Jones would help minimize Rielly's defensive shortcomings, while allowing him to flourish offensively.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Sundinisagod
Liljegren please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Were going to make some trades with all the surplus bodies..

if we get another late first and another 2nd should we not trade up in the draft?
It doesn't seem to work out that well these days. The price to move up a few spots is usually a 2nd and/or 3rd and a year later you see a lot of great players you could have drafted without having given up the pick(s). Luke Schenn comes to mind, also the latest Behind the Draft where you see our head scout having zero interest in moving up 1 spot in the 1st round, it indicates the preference to hang onto picks and increase your odds.

Anybody feel like making a list of recent trade ups and if they worked out or not? Would be interesting to see how it usually pans out. Here's an old one, in 1990 the Flames move up about 10 spots in the 1st round and take Trevor Kidd, the NJ Devils drop down and take Marty Brodeur with Calgary's late 1st...not sure what assets Jersey got for dropping down.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Community
44 is Rielly good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
It doesn't seem to work out that well these days. The price to move up a few spots is usually a 2nd and/or 3rd and a year later you see a lot of great players you could have drafted without having given up the pick(s). Luke Schenn comes to mind, also the latest Behind the Draft where you see our head scout having zero interest in moving up 1 spot in the 1st round, it indicates the preference to hang onto picks and increase your odds.

Anybody feel like making a list of recent trade ups and if they worked out or not? Would be interesting to see how it usually pans out. Here's an old one, in 1990 the Flames move up about 10 spots in the 1st round and take Trevor Kidd, the NJ Devils drop down and take Marty Brodeur with Calgary's late 1st...not sure what assets Jersey got for dropping down.
If we can package (a reasonable amount, nothing over the top) to get up and be able to pick up one of Mackinnon, Drouin, Nishkunin (sp?), Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm I'd say we do it easily... We got enough depth right now, we need another home-run prospect like Rielly...

Old
02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Draft Lottery Odds the Same

Quote:
The only difference in this year's draft lottery will remain that the team that wins the lottery will be awarded the first overall pick. In previous years, winning the lottery only allowed a team to move up a maximum of four places in the draft order.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=416279

Old
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Sundinisagod
Liljegren please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
If we can package (a reasonable amount, nothing over the top) to get up and be able to pick up one of Mackinnon, Drouin, Nishkunin (sp?), Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm I'd say we do it easily... We got enough depth right now, we need another home-run prospect like Rielly...

But like I said, the cost is always steep these days to move up...especially trying to get into the top tier (which I hear is 7). We gave up a 2nd and 3rd to move up from 7th to 5th in the Luke Schenn draft. For Tyler Biggs I think we gave up a 2nd to move up from the late 20's or 30th to 22. The way things are going this year, we're prolly selecting in the 10-20 range so most of the teams in the top 7 probably won't be interesting in dropping that far down...the cost to move up from there to the top 7 will definately be very steep. Every year Burke wanted to move up and got no dance partners or ridiculous demands.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
I prefer Hartman tbh, looks like we should readjust to 15-20, though I am not 100% sold we are in yet, but it looks like we will be picking later.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

god damn it i want monahan so bad.

02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Drew311
MVP

Quote:
I'm curious if Max Domi has a mean streak like his father?
Not at all. He's a tenacious guy, just not in a physical way.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Community
44 is Rielly good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
But like I said, the cost is always steep these days to move up...especially trying to get into the top tier (which I hear is 7). We gave up a 2nd and 3rd to move up from 7th to 5th in the Luke Schenn draft. For Tyler Biggs I think we gave up a 2nd to move up from the late 20's or 30th to 22. The way things are going this year, we're prolly selecting in the 10-20 range so most of the teams in the top 7 probably won't be interesting in dropping that far down...the cost to move up from there to the top 7 will definately be very steep. Every year Burke wanted to move up and got no dance partners or ridiculous demands.
I'm just hoping we can find somebody who believes the player they are looking for will be available at our spot and we can trade up. Either that, or one of the top centres (Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin if he can play C) may be a good idea... TBH though, I trust our scouts and hope they can either hit a home-run or trade-up for a prospect high on their list because one elite C prospect and our future looks a lot brighter IMO

Old
02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Frederik Gauthier may be a possibility. Draft rankings for him seem to be all over the place, but if he's available, it'll be hard to pass up a 6'5 two-way force.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Badger Mayhew*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Frederik Gauthier may be a possibility. Draft rankings for him seem to be all over the place, but if he's available, it'll be hard to pass up a 6'5 two-way force.
Just like Colborne

Old
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
I would rather ignore height and draft a player like Wennberg or Lazar. For some perspective, Wennberg currently has 28 points in Allsvenskan. Last year, Filip Forsberg finished with 17. They are both 6'1 and Wennberg is a centreman.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I would rather ignore height and draft a player like Wennberg or Lazar. For some perspective, Wennberg currently has 28 points in Allsvenskan. Last year, Filip Forsberg finished with 17. They are both 6'1 and Wennberg is a centreman.
I was under the impression that Wennberg was a winger..?

Closed Thread