HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 09:00 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

vCash: 500
I had Drouin above Mackinnon over a month ago and people were calling me out...

Funny how times change. lol

Old
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

I still don't have it. Maybe because I'm stubborn but I think Mackinnon will be the better player no matter how much Drouin is showing atm.

02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Darnell Nurse is slowly putting up some good numbers.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I still don't have it. Maybe because I'm stubborn but I think Mackinnon will be the better player no matter how much Drouin is showing atm.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is, but he's kind of not progressed this year prior to the injury. Drouin has moved up like a rocket, you shouldn't be surprised, you were one of the first that liked him here. Gotta give cred where cred is deserved.

I love Drouin, he's a magical player. With Some guys it's obvious.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:

I know! Funny how things change.

Especially you...

I seem to remember you saying something along the lines of "just a flashy winger" and how you wouldn't draft him above Pulock.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:38 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I know! Funny how things change.

Especially you...

I seem to remember you saying something along the lines of "just a flashy winger" and how you wouldn't draft him above Pulock.
Oh but I always reserve the right to amend lists up until the draft. Lists and player preferences change especially in draft rankings.

But isn't it true, after the WJC, and the prospect games, I had Jones, Drouin , Mac as the top 3, and some thought I was being a contrarian.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Oh but I always reserve the right to amend lists up until the draft. Lists and player preferences change especially in draft rankings.

But isn't it true, after the WJC, and the prospect games, I had Jones, Drouin , Mac as the top 3, and some thought I was being a contrarian.
As long as you are willing to admit it! Just keeping you honest.

And the claims of being a contrarian may have been for other reasons...

Old
02-25-2013, 09:57 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
As long as you are willing to admit it! Just keeping you honest.

And the claims of being a contrarian may have been for other reasons...
I had Jones as a clear number 1 and my reasons for liking Drouin were well stated, you probably remember them well. He simply always looked better than Mackinnon every time I saw the 2 in a game. If that isn't enough, then one has other reasons and not me. Like having a fascination for drafting a Center at all costs. I am open to all players, I know there is this fixation by some to only look at Center's, I am not one of them so I recognize Jones and Drouin for what they are, better than Mackinnon this year.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
rdawg1234

Deep deep draft, even a late pick will not hurt!

really hoping for a 2003 level draft, where a 15-30 pick can still net you a franchise player(Kesler, Parise, Getz, Perry etc.)

Old
02-26-2013, 07:11 AM
threeGo

Could mackinnon drop like esposito, forsberg and grigorenko? It would be great to nab him in a mid range pick but I don't see so many teams passing on him.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:44 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
Could mackinnon drop like esposito, forsberg and grigorenko? It would be great to nab him in a mid range pick but I don't see so many teams passing on him.
I doubt it. Grigorenko had the Russian factor and probably dropped a few spots because of it. And then teams where really in to defenders in the 2012 draft, 8 out of the top 10. That is also the reason why Forsberg dropped. Getting the chance to get a #1 d-man/top pairing triumph getting a forward with top six potential.

Esposito, well he where just not very good and even less so after his knee injury.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
The scary thing with Drouin is that he seems to be improving. He's the first CHL player to put up 2 plus PPG in their draft season since Kane/Gagner did it in their draft years. I believe he may the first player to do it in the Q since Crosby (although I'm not 100 percent sure).

29 points in 33 games as a rookie is pretty good. Not world shattering but it's pretty good for coming from AAA competition to 19 and 20 year olds and the most talented 17/18 year olds. Especially as a 16 year old (on the verge of being 17 but I digress).

But then he improves in the playoffs scoring more goals in 17 games than he did in the previous 33 and putting up 27 points in 17 games. Then by December of this season he has 19 goals and 48 points in 24 games. Improves goal totals again as well. Then in 2013 he puts up 17 goals and 45 points in only 18 games. 2.5 points per game. How often has a player started out at 2 points per game and stuck to it? Grigorenko started the season off at 2 PPG and slightly regressed. Baertschi finished at exactly 2 PPG last season in the WHL. And both did it in the season AFTER they were drafted.

Drouin's actually scoring more since his hot start and he's doing in prior to being drafted. It's insane. What's crazier is that he's scoring at a higher rate since MacKinnon's been gone. He's currently putting up 3 ppg in the games MacKinnon has missed (as a sidenote, the two of them have both played at a higher scoring pace when the other was out with injury. MacKinnon did that earlier in the season when Drouin missed time).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Drouin go first overall. When people compare him to Giroux, it's not a bad comparison at all. he's that damn talented.

At this point in time, I do think Drouin will go ahead of Mackinnon...not sure he'll unseat Seth Jones from 1st overall though, but he could.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:06 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
Hmm... I highly doubt it.

MAYBE he could drop to like #4-5. Nichuskin if it werent for the Russian factor would have a good chance of pushing him out. Barkov as well has a great skill-set.

I still doubt it though. He didn't show much at the WJC like some of the others, but the Canadian team was VERY deep at centre. I don't even remember which ones were playing centre, but there were RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, and Scheifele as older/highly skilled centres to take spots on the scoring lines. Drouin had a good tournament, but it was also easier for him to move up the depth chart. Barkov/Nichushkin/Jones its the same thing.

In saying that, MacKinnon also didn't show much at the CHL top prospects game and has only had a so-so year for Halifax. So his draft status has obviously taken a hit from more than just the WJC.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Darnell Nurse is slowly putting up some good numbers.
He's starting to look like a top 10 pick. I compare him to Jacob Trouba in that he's big and raw but developing like crazy...He's one of the guys from this draft I'd love to get but I think he'll be moving up too high on the rankings for us.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Nurse's scouting report reminds me too much of Luke Schenn. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on him. Go big or go home.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Nurse's scouting report reminds me too much of Luke Schenn. I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on him. Go big or go home.
I noted similarities as well, but one must note that there is a vast difference in the two athletically.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
That's exactly how I felt about Trouba last summer...

Old
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
One of those situations where watching the kid eases your mind. At least in the idea that his reports make him sound like Schenn. When you watch the way he plays, it will dispel any of that.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Nurse has a really risky part of his game that I am uneasy with, his decision making reminds me of Jesse Blacker. A lot of skill, size, and tools there. But are his instincts like Luke Schenn or Jacob Trouba? That's the million dollar question, at #10 with this draft, don't want to waste a pick on him and maybe wrong.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
In saying that, MacKinnon also didn't show much at the CHL top prospects game and has only had a so-so year for Halifax. So his draft status has obviously taken a hit from more than just the WJC.
This is utter nonsense. He's having a fantastic 17 year old season as one of the youngest in his draft class and was the best player on team Cherry in the prospects game. He's the same player he was 2 months ago. He's the #1 center on the best Jr team in the country at 17. That's a bit better than so-so isn't it?

The emergence of
Drouin and Nichuskin (sp?) don't mean he's taken a hit or his potential has dropped.

Last edited by LeafDangler: 02-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

I think mackinnon will end up being the more complete player, but I feel like drouin will take the NHl by storm when he enters. IMO he will be the more dynamic player, but he won't be able to dance around dmen like he does now.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsMonster View Post
I think mackinnon will end up being the more complete player, but I feel like drouin will take the NHl by storm when he enters. IMO he will be the more dynamic player, but he won't be able to dance around dmen like he does now.
His strength, and the building of that strength, will be the most important improvement he'll need to make to his game. He's not going to be dancing around people, like you mentioned, and you're playing against men, not boys. He'll need to become a bull on his skates, and that's going to take time.

I think MacKinnon is easily the most complete player at this point, and will be moving forward as well, although Drouin can be a 1st line winger, scoring weapon, much like Alex Mogilny was.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Stephen23

Quote:

Every Mooseheads game I go to, I always walk away feeling that Drouin is the better player. Having said that, if I had to choose between the two, I would still take MacKinnon. I think he is going to have the more seamless transition into the NHL. I see Drouin as a hybrid of Giroux and Kane, where as I see MacKinnon as a hybrid of Eric Staal and Ryan Getzlaf.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
I take MacKinnon over Drouin 10 times out of 10. I really don't care about Drouin's 2+ PPG in the more offensively oriented QMJHL. I care about how a player projects to the next level. MacKinnon is more physical and a more of a two-way player than Drouin. This will allow him translate better to the next level than Drouin.

MacKinnon also plays more of a north/south game while Drouin plays with more finesse. Drouin's finesse game won't work against NHL defenders as well as it does QMJHL defenders. However, he certainly has the I.Q. and vision to become a really good player.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:28 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

That's definitely not true. Not sure what else to say, he's been incredible all season long. Maybe he hasn't lived up to unrealistic expectations that a few people had set for him, but that's not his fault.

Closed Thread