HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I watch Kujawinski again yesterday, I was wondering where everyone who has watched him has him rated?
I think, with the way he's playing this year, and his developmental path thus far, that Kujawinski is going to be taken in the late 30's, early 40's. He's a guy that has potential 2nd line upside, but is probably going to slot in great on someone's 3rd line, with his two-way play.

He's a fun player to watch when he comes to town. Good energy, physicality, decent on faceoffs.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Pulock is so sexy. I doubt he falls to us, but if he did, oh boy. Favourite dman in this draft behind Jones.
Pulock is one player that reminds me of Del Zotto, he is going to slide this year, but the thought of him and Rielly on the PP is mindnumbing. Suter and Macinnis? Worst things could happen.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:07 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think, with the way he's playing this year, and his developmental path thus far, that Kujawinski is going to be taken in the late 30's, early 40's. He's a guy that has potential 2nd line upside, but is probably going to slot in great on someone's 3rd line, with his two-way play.

He's a fun player to watch when he comes to town. Good energy, physicality, decent on faceoffs.
He made a few plays yesterday that make you actually say wow out loud, but then he seemed to bail out a few times if he sees a hit coming. I would take him in the 40's depending on who is available.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
He made a few plays yesterday that make you actually say wow out loud, but then he seemed to bail out a few times if he sees a hit coming. I would take him in the 40's depending on who is available.
I've made my stance clear on our 2nd rounder. I want Tristan Jarry. I think he may be one of, if not THE BEST, goalies to come from this draft. However, our 2nd rounder is completely dependant on what happens in the 1st.

In my mock, I had us taking Gauthier. With Gauthier, you could be getting anything from a #1-#3 center. If you have him in the fold, you have to feel good picking a legitimate goalie prospect in the second. We have a need at 2 of those center positions, and he can potentially slot in at either one of them.

If Jarry is on the board at 45-52, I think it would be a no-brainer. Unless someone really solid slides (why would they slide that far?), then it makes you question it, but I think the value of taking Jarry there would far outweigh almost anyone else.

If we take Fucale in the 1st, however, then all of that goes out the window.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Quote:
I've made my stance clear on our 2nd rounder. I want Tristan Jarry. I think he may be one of, if not THE BEST, goalies to come from this draft. However, our 2nd rounder is completely dependant on what happens in the 1st.

In my mock, I had us taking Gauthier. With Gauthier, you could be getting anything from a #1-#3 center. If you have him in the fold, you have to feel good picking a legitimate goalie prospect in the second. We have a need at 2 of those center positions, and he can potentially slot in at either one of them.

If Jarry is on the board at 45-52, I think it would be a no-brainer. Unless someone really solid slides (why would they slide that far?), then it makes you question it, but I think the value of taking Jarry there would far outweigh almost anyone else.

Completely agree with this, Very intrigued by Gauthier's tools and potential, and been impressed a lot by Jarry this year.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81snipe View Post
Completely agree with this, Very intrigued by Gauthier's tools and potential, and been impressed a lot by Jarry this year.
From what I understand, the concerns are his durability and endurance, as well as his flexibility. It's understandable, as he hasn't proven that he can take on a full load as the #1 guy between the pipes, but he'll have his opportunity after this year. I believe he breaks out next year, and shows his true ilk.

I really hope that our organization values one of these goalies higher this year. I don't see Fucale in the 1st, but I could realistically see one of Jarry/Comrie/Martin in the 2nd. I also have really liked what I've seen/heard from the kid who plays net in Rimouski. He would be good in the 3rd/4th round, but my 3rd/4th round guys are two of my favourites in the draft this year

Old
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM
BertCorbeau
Speak my Changuage

Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs draft a goalie in the 2nd-4th rounds .. And even another in the 6th ot 7th .. Try to find a goalie with solid mechanics, some athleticism .. One with a good save percentage on a poor team possibly

The prospect pool is pretty deep in forwards and defense, just lacking top end skill .. Time to draft some long term goalie prospects for development

Old
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
He would be good in the 3rd/4th round, but my 3rd/4th round guys are two of my favourites in the draft this year
Butcher was money at U-17s, but his statline had been pretty underwhelming this year.

Legitimate question, what do you like about him?

Old
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Butcher was money at U-17s, but his statline had been pretty underwhelming this year.

Legitimate question, what do you like about him?
I've liked Will Butcher since he was picked by the Spits. Started looking into him, and started making a point to go over and catch games with the USNTDP. Living close to Ann Arbor, I'm able to get out to a few USNTDP games a year to see a couple guys. What I really like is that he reminds me a lot of a Gardiner style player. He's got serviceable vision, but he skates really smooth, and plays a smart game, knowing when to pinch, and when not to gamble on an iffy play.

He's got extremely fluid hips (something that I value in my D-men), and is able to flip them when he has to turn on the defense, and if you get to see him, he has a great release from the point. He's not that big, so going to Denver will be a blessing, where he'll get ample time in the weight room to add strength. Like I said about his shot, his release is really good. He's also a lot like Franson, in that he understands that point shots should be below the waist on most occasions, to allow for the traffic in front to be effective.

I honestly believe he could be the steal of this draft, depending on where he's taken.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I was young but i watched horton when he was with the gens, really dont see the comparison becuase nathan was incredibly physical every shift and kuj seems to take some off. Kuj hits sometimes along the boards where nathan would go out and try and kill someone. kuj is a passer first and nathan was more of a goal scorer imo. Next year he will probably break out next year.
I am not the one, as I said some have stated that. However let's see what happens in the future. I am willing to take a gamble on him but not a first rounder one IMO.
Quote:

Are you trying to copy my love for Tristan Jarry, cuz it's not cool.

I love the kid, I really hope we take a flyer on him. However with the habs having three mother freaking second rounders and their scouting guys being good. Wouldn't be surprised...damn you canadeins for having a bloody genius in Timmins.

I am still very unsure about Gauthier.

03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Leafs draft a goalie in the 2nd-4th rounds .. And even another in the 6th ot 7th .. Try to find a goalie with solid mechanics, some athleticism .. One with a good save percentage on a poor team possibly

The prospect pool is pretty deep in forwards and defense, just lacking top end skill .. Time to draft some long term goalie prospects for development
If it's in the later round, you go with Jarry IMO.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Pulock is one player that reminds me of Del Zotto, he is going to slide this year, but the thought of him and Rielly on the PP is mindnumbing. Suter and Macinnis? Worst things could happen.
Yeah a RH d with a 100 mph slapshot looks like a good fit for Rielly, on paper at least. Would be thrilled if we can pick him. He's gonna be kind of a wildcard imho...could go anywhere from about 7-20.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Yeah a RH d with a 100 mph slapshot looks like a good fit for Rielly, on paper at least. Would be thrilled if we can pick him. He's gonna be kind of a wildcard imho...could go anywhere from about 7-20.
Not enthralled with this kid. I definitely don't see top-pairing upside, more of a useful 3/4 type. I think there's a lot of better value available. We already have a RH Dman with questionable skating and a nifty shot (Cody Franson). Every time I have watched Pulock (4-5 times), I have been underwhelmed. I find he doesn't really control the game the way some of the other Dman ranked near him do (like Morrissey, Hagg).

Old
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Not enthralled with this kid. I definitely don't see top-pairing upside, more of a useful 3/4 type. I think there's a lot of better value available. We already have a RH Dman with questionable skating and a nifty shot (Cody Franson). Every time I have watched Pulock (4-5 times), I have been underwhelmed. I find he doesn't really control the game the way some of the other Dman ranked near him do (like Morrissey, Hagg).
This is why he is a good partner with a PMD man, Pulock is more of an IQ player, he slides into soft spots where Rielly can find him.

Rielly is a guy that will dominate possession, if he were partnered with Gardiner or say Ryan Murphy. His effectiveness is diminished.

I think Pulock is a perfect partner for Rielly, he is rarely out of position, he has the ice Q to play on the level of Rielly, and he that weapon of a shot that Rielly can exploit.

His injury will cause him to slide, to our luck hopefully.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I know I posted this before but here is Ryan's desire to play for the Blue and White for those that missed it.

Would be nice if this dream came true.

Quote:
Steve Ewen, The Province
Published: Thursday, October 25, 2012
There's a chunk of Ryan Pulock's heart that wants him to be drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs next June. It's likely the very part covered by a tattoo to honour his late brother.

Pulock - the Brandon Wheat Kings strapping, heavy-shooting defence-man projected to be a top-10 draft pick next June - has a Maple Leafs insignia on his chest to his honour his younger brother, who was a major booster of anything involving Brian Burke's hockey club.

Brock Pulock died in March, 2010, when the Ford Explorer he was travelling in left the road, rolled and ended up in a ditch five kilometres south of Minnedosa, a town in southwest-ern Manitoba.

He was 13.

The other four people in the car, including Ryan, suffered varying degrees of bumps and bruises.

"Going to Toronto would be pretty special, because he had been a Leaf fan all his life," Pulock, 18, said prior to the Wheat Kings WHL matchup with the Vancouver Giants at the Pacific Coliseum Wednesday. "I'm sure he'd be watching down and enjoying every minute of it.

"I know he's going to be watching every minute of draft day and I'm going to be thinking of him every minute."

Old
03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I know I posted this before but here is Ryan's desire to play for the Blue and White for those that missed it.

A touching story, but I still don't see what he brings to the table that Cody Franson doesn't. I would rather draft another guy who can carry the mail like Gardiner/Rielly. Finding a player to finish off plays is easier than finding one who makes them.

A bit of an aside, the new Craig's List:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Nurse moves up to 6 over Monahan. I have pimped Nurse since the beginning of the year but even I find him over Monahan a little silly.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:06 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
This is why he is a good partner with a PMD man, Pulock is more of an IQ player, he slides into soft spots where Rielly can find him.

Rielly is a guy that will dominate possession, if he were partnered with Gardiner or say Ryan Murphy. His effectiveness is diminished.

I think Pulock is a perfect partner for Rielly, he is rarely out of position, he has the ice Q to play on the level of Rielly, and he that weapon of a shot that Rielly can exploit.

His injury will cause him to slide, to our luck hopefully.
I'm not sure I like the idea of targeting a player based only on his potential ability to play with another prospect we have. Besides the whole issue of that prospect needing to reach the NHL first (I know its Rielly, but just bear with me) I just feel like its limiting the value of the pick if thats why were picking Pulock.

I'm honestly questioning whether he even deserves a spot in the top 10. He's taken a step back offensively from last year (he has been injured so that could explain it) and I'm just not seeing much besides a guy with good top 4 upside. Button just dropped him 3 spots from February to 16th (now another guy ranked right ahead of him dropped as well, so it may just be that some forwards have taken a step up. That guy was Morrisey).

If Morrison and scouts were to judge him worth picking (say we stay in the 15-23 spot) then I would be fine with that. But I'm starting to think maybe there are other guys worth picking over him and whether that trend of him falling will continue?

Maybe I'm reading into things. This post probably shows a huge bias against him. That's not the case. It's not that I don't like him, there's just guys I like better than him. I would be happy with him if that's who we picked at 18 (assuming we stay).

Old
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
I really like Petan's offensive abilities. He's a good scoring talent, who can really move.

Hartman is a guy I like, but I feel like he's a less good version of Adam Henrique. I've seen quite a bit of him as Windsor/Plymouth play quite often.
I prefer Rychel over Hartman.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
A touching story, but I still don't see what he brings to the table that Cody Franson doesn't. I would rather draft another guy who can carry the mail like Gardiner/Rielly. Finding a player to finish off plays is easier than finding one who makes them.

A bit of an aside, the new Craig's List:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Nurse moves up to 6 over Monahan. I have pimped Nurse since the beginning of the year but even I find him over Monahan a little silly.
Button's a big fan. I'm certainly a big fan of Nurse. Enough to take him over Monahan? I'm not sure I would but Nurse's upside is certainly enticing.

Top 5 is the same 5 players. Drouin at two, and MacKinnon/Barkov down one spot. Nichushkin stays at 5.

Mueller makes a pretty big leap from the early 40's to 35. He's going to sneak into the first late I think.

The final Subban brother makes a huge leap from the 50's to 36.

Nastasiuk is pretty high in the mid 40's. He's got a nice power forward frame but doesn't have the offensive game going for himself yet. Could be a boom/bust pick.

Jimmy Lodge makes his first appearance on Button's list. Very similar player to Bailey. Both likely to be picked early to mid 2nd round or maybe sneak into the late first round. Definitely like to get my hands on one of them.

Kujawinski is continuing his fall, dropping to 54 now.

Shea Theodore jumps 5 spots to the mid 2nd round. Nice pick at that range. He's one of those guys that would normally go first round, but because of the depth in this draft, will likely be a solid 2nd round choice.

Bjorkstrand finally makes an appearance. I've been pimping him for a while. Big fan. Petan makes a jump into the first round. Hard earned. Crazy to think he's just making his first appearances in the first round considering he's 2nd in the entire CHL in points. Suffering a bit from playing on a stacked team and from the popular stumbling block, size (which is dumb, I'm not a fan of this particular point scouts like to harp on).

Old
03-04-2013, 03:22 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
I prefer Rychel over Hartman.
While I'm inclined to give Ernie respect with his view on Hartman (because he's probably seen him more than any of us), this is one of those few times I'm actually going to agree with Interactif. I actually prefer Hartman over Rychel as of right now.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Ice Wookie/ BBurke:

I am only saying if Pulock continues to slide, anywhere 15-20 and this guy will be hard not to look at.

Of Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Dickinson, Wennberg(Looks like Steen 2.0 to me) I see Pulock having the most impact.

Regardless, we have a long way to go, as always Morrison will be looking for the BPA, and that means the biggest slider probably.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

For fun, these are my current rankings, not what I actually think will happen.

1. Jonathan Drouin
2. Nathan MacKinnon
3. Seth Jones
4. Aleksander Barkov
5. Elias Lindholm
6. Sean Monahan
7. Valeri Nichushkin
8. Alexander Wennberg
9. Hunter Shinkaruk
10. Rasmus Ristolainen
11. Darnell Nurse
12. Joshua Morrissey
13. Robert Hagg
14. Curtis Lazar
15. Nikita Zadorov
16. Anthony Mantha
17. Frederick Gauthier
18. Zach Fucale
19. Ryan Pulock
20. Adam Erne

Only going to do 20 because after that it gets kind of muddy for me.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Pulock is defensive much more responsible than Rielly, would be an excellent partner for him in the future if he was to be drafted by us.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Ice Wookie/ BBurke:

I am only saying if Pulock continues to slide, anywhere 15-20 and this guy will be hard not to look at.

Of Hartman, Rychel, Domi, Dickinson, Wennberg(Looks like Steen 2.0 to me) I see Pulock having the most impact.

Regardless, we have a long way to go, as always Morrison will be looking for the BPA, and that means the biggest slider probably.
That's not really fair to Wennberg, his 32 points in his draft year playing pro in Sweden are already more than Steen ever had across the pond.

Remember Forsberg only had 17 last year. Wennberg is doubling his productivity and is also slightly taller (6'1.25 vs. 6'1.5). Everything Forsberg did last year, Wennberg does better.

I see your case for the other 4 though.

One thing is for sure, we can count on Morrison picking a skilled, smart hockey player like he always does.

Old
03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Quote:
"Going to Toronto would be pretty special, because he had been a Leaf fan all his life," Pulock, 18, said prior to the Wheat Kings WHL matchup with the Vancouver Giants at the Pacific Coliseum Wednesday. "I'm sure he'd be watching down and enjoying every minute of it.

"I know he's going to be watching every minute of draft day and I'm going to be thinking of him every minute."
Oh man. This hit me right in the feels.

Closed Thread