HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2013, 03:35 PM
  #126
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Apparently, guys who are on pace to score 50 in their draft year aren't top 30 worthy, according to ISS, and with that in mind, I see no reason not to rectify the issues of having scorers with size on the wings (like we have JVR for)

I'll gladly walk away with a kid like Anthony Mantha, who has the skill-set to do it all, and the size and strength to be a force, as a goal scoring power forward.

First 3 goals in the 1st period:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM6VBkfQIdU

He doesn't mind the fisticuffs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfC-0MQtWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZJvo2We3s


I would love a big winger, who loves to go to the net, drops the gloves, and is a natural goal scorer.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
  #127
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Diabetes can be a very serious problem, if not managed properly. Especially at the pro level. I remember (though not pro) a young man (Running Back) that went to Florida St..... Jermaine Thomas, I believe. He had Diabetes, and despite being in a great nutrition and S&C program, he still struggled with it, and it altered his ability to be a difference maker at the college level.
Cory Conacher, Nick Boynton, Bobby Clarke, Rick Dudley.

Just a few NHLers with it. And a huge amount of NFLers.

It shouldn't discount a player of Domi's skill level

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
  #128
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Apparently, guys who are on pace to score 50 in their draft year aren't top 30 worthy, according to ISS, and with that in mind, I see no reason not to rectify the issues of having scorers with size on the wings (like we have JVR for)

I'll gladly walk away with a kid like Anthony Mantha, who has the skill-set to do it all, and the size and strength to be a force, as a goal scoring power forward.

First 3 goals in the 1st period:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM6VBkfQIdU

He doesn't mind the fisticuffs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfC-0MQtWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZJvo2We3s


I would love a big winger, who loves to go to the net, drops the gloves, and is a natural goal scorer.
Am I the only one that thinks ISS is becoming...irrelevant?

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
  #129
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Am I the only one that thinks ISS is becoming...irrelevant?
No, you're not... lol
Antiquated, to say the least.

And diabetes can be controlled, I never said it couldn't. I also wasn't discounting his skill level, simply stating that if it's not under control and properly dealt with, it can affect the performance of athletes.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
  #130
sniper81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
I hope we draft heavy from the ohl again this year. Lots of talented kids who arent getting a ton of recognition

sniper81 is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
  #131
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
ive been away from the boards for a bit any updates you'd wanna give me Ernie?

also this is awesome:


__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  #132
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
im quite interested in alex wennberg. he seems like another european prospect we might score on.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
  #133
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
ive been away from the boards for a bit any updates you'd wanna give me Ernie?

also this is awesome:

I'll put something up tonight. Going to see the Spits vs. Sting.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
  #134
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,613
vCash: 500
awesome will wait and see!

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 04:43 PM
  #135
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I didn't know that. That is odd. The list must be somewhat old then, and is ranked based on the WJC. It seems that way if you look at it.

Interactif: still no mention of your Bailey kid.
He'll make it into the first rd, Kitchener looks like they are going to go deep into the playoffs. I am going to predict they make it to the memorial cup this year, I like their team a lot. Lots of good pieces including our boy Leivo and a guy named Gibson. Justin is just getting started, going to get better as the season goes on.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  #136
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He'll make it into the first rd, Kitchener looks like they are going to go deep into the playoffs. I am going to predict they make it to the memorial cup this year, I like their team a lot. Lots of good pieces including our boy Leivo and a guy named Gibson. Justin is just getting started, going to get better as the season goes on.
Still not sure I see 1st round value on the kid, but I think he has the tools. If some team really strongly believes he'll find the toolbox, its possible. 6'3, right shot, centre are all very valuable.

Bernier the Boats is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
  #137
TheMadHatTrick
Registered User
 
TheMadHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I also wouldn't mind taking a closer look at Valentin Zykov.
I've liked what I've seen from him. The guy is kind of like Kulemin, a bull down low and along the boards, except he's about 3 inches bigger than Kuley. I like that he's always around the net and hunting for rebounds. He also has a very good shot and a decent skater.

TheMadHatTrick is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 06:43 PM
  #138
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Since people haven't putting their lists up a lot lately, I may have a new top 30 real soon.

So get excited. /


Here was my top 15 list from about a month ago.

Quote:
#1. Seth Jones
#2. Nathan Mackinnon
#3. Elias Lindholm
#4. Jonathan Drouin
#5. Sean Monahan
#6. Aleksander Barkov
#7. Robert Hägg
#8. Nikita Zadorov
#9. Valeri Nichushkin
#10. Darnell Nurse
#11. Anthony Mantha
#12. Ryan Pulock
#13. Hunter Shinkaruk
#14. Kerby Rychel
#15. Frederick Gauthier
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1325189&page=2

Rare Jewel is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:42 AM
  #139
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Still not sure I see 1st round value on the kid, but I think he has the tools. If some team really strongly believes he'll find the toolbox, its possible. 6'3, right shot, centre are all very valuable.
I think it could be a situation where a team likes him, isn't sure he'll be available with their second round pick and decides that they'd rather just draft him a little higher to make sure they get him. Maybe trade back and grab him late 20's.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
  #140
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Had another viewing of Kirby Rychel last night, as the Spits fell 2-1, with 12 seconds left in what was an extremely close game. Both teams squandered PP's and chances, that could've seen the game be 6-5.

The normal knocks on Rychel were apparent; his skating isn't where it needs to be, and despite his physical game, and NHL shot, he's definitely not about to play in the NHL for a couple years. He was, however, a physical presence, both on and off the puck. His puck protection, and strength on his skates was on full display, as he used his body and reach to shield the puck from defenders in all 3 zones. He was willing and able to work behind the goal line in the offensive zone, and worked well along the walls. He didn't throw any big hits, but played an overall gritty game. His wrist shot and snap shot are definitely strengths of his, he just has to work on his accuracy. He can get them to the net in a hurry, though.

Once again, the show was stolen by the young Joshua Ho-Sang, who seems to do this often. His skating was leagues above just about everyone on the ice, and his hands and vision allowed him to create chance after chance, with failure coming in the form of a lack of finish on the other end. He keeps his head up, his feet moving, and has great touch on his passes. A few times, over the course of the game, he zipped passes through defenders to a teammate, and went to the net; EXACTLY what the coaching staff wants to see him do more of. His stickhandling is as good as anyone you'll see, and his IQ is extremely high.

A real treat to watch.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:29 PM
  #141
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
He'll make it into the first rd, Kitchener looks like they are going to go deep into the playoffs. I am going to predict they make it to the memorial cup this year, I like their team a lot. Lots of good pieces including our boy Leivo and a guy named Gibson. Justin is just getting started, going to get better as the season goes on.
You again with Leivo, your starting to scare me a little.

Will this young man need to get a restraining order out on you ?

But tbvh i hope your on the mark with this kid, we could surely use a few more big hits in the later rounds of the draft.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
  #142
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
You again with Leivo, your starting to scare me a little.

Will this young man need to get a restraining order out on you ?

But tbvh i hope your on the mark with this kid, we could surely use a few more big hits in the later rounds of the draft.
I think he belongs with Percy and Biggs in terms of expectations. I actually think he has been better than Biggs this year, we will see, but he is a relatively tall 6'2 prospect lol that is filling out, if he can reach 200 lbs once he gets to the NHL, with his game, he can be a top 6 fwd.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:40 PM
  #143
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think he belongs with Percy and Biggs in terms of expectations. I actually think he has been better than Biggs this year, we will see, but he is a relatively tall 6'2 prospect lol that is filling out, if he can reach 200 lbs once he gets to the NHL, with his game, he can be a top 6 fwd.
Yeah ok, but is he big big or just big or perhaps small big?

johnny_rudeboy is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
  #144
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Yeah ok, but is he big big or just big or perhaps small big?
I got you.

Interactif is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:26 PM
  #145
Nifty Mittens43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
I actually met Josh-Ho Sang not long ago while I was at work, he is a BEAST. Not sure what he's listed at but he was at least 6'1 and looked filled out. He's gonna be a star.

Nifty Mittens43 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
  #146
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think he belongs with Percy and Biggs in terms of expectations. I actually think he has been better than Biggs this year, we will see, but he is a relatively tall 6'2 prospect lol that is filling out, if he can reach 200 lbs once he gets to the NHL, with his game, he can be a top 6 fwd.
His skill set will translate well to the NHL with the added weight?

I understand that some styles don't translate well when they fill out.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
  #147
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty Mittens43 View Post
I actually met Josh-Ho Sang not long ago while I was at work, he is a BEAST. Not sure what he's listed at but he was at least 6'1 and looked filled out. He's gonna be a star.
Totally agree. Would love to get him in Blue and White.
He's guilty of what Kadri was in junior; trying to do a little too much, and not simplifying his game enough, but he's young, and he'll grow out of it, like most kids do. Hall was the same way when here, Spezza, Wellwood, etc.

A lot of fans are frustrated, but forget that he's just a kid, and he's going to learn these things as time goes on.

Some around here call these "character issues", when in reality, they haven't the slightest idea.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
  #148
BertCorbeau
Moderator
The Sidebartender
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Totally agree. Would love to get him in Blue and White.
He's guilty of what Kadri was in junior; trying to do a little too much, and not simplifying his game enough, but he's young, and he'll grow out of it, like most kids do. Hall was the same way when here, Spezza, Wellwood, etc.

A lot of fans are frustrated, but forget that he's just a kid, and he's going to learn these things as time goes on.

Some around here call these "character issues", when in reality, they haven't the slightest idea.
Is he draft eligible this year? Where's he projected to go?

BertCorbeau is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
  #149
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Is he draft eligible this year? Where's he projected to go?
He's a 2014 draft elligible, and the early NHL rankings have him at 8. He's a top 5 talent as he develops. May be the best skater in the draft, unreal hands and vision. Needs to fill out some, and develop his game, but he's a pure playmaker.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 PM
  #150
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Watch this lovely little bit of filth from the Finnish Phenom!

Shootout goal from today

http://youtu.be/fac9kcwfSoU

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.