HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Browsing Craig's List 20-24.

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Agreed. Especially since he's just broken FEL records for a player of his age.

And he literally has only one weakness to his game, a weakness that he's already focused on hugely and made better and very likely will continue to focus on. A weakness that isn't even a terrible weakness, just more of a "he could work on this".

I still love him.

Barkov is unreal.

And of course Interactif will be the contrarian...
I like Barkov at 10, not so much at #3 or #5, #7 is more where I saw him. ISS is a Euro-centric agency, I was kinda surprised they downgraded him, kind of makes me wonder what they know that we don't.

Old
02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I like Barkov at 10, not so much at #3 or #5, #7 is more where I saw him. ISS is a Euro-centric agency, I was kinda surprised they downgraded him, kind of makes me wonder what they know that we don't.
To pick Barkov at 10 what players would you pick 1-9 out of curiosity?

Old
02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
That's utterly insane. This is just like your pointless boosting of Faksa over Grigorenko last year. You pick someone to be the one lone voice of question on and stick to it like glue.

Barkov has puck skills that rival MacK's and Droun's. He has some of the best size in the draft. He has a defensive game that is probably better than any other forward in this draft, or at the very least on par with them. He's been said by multiple scouts to be one of, if not the most well rounded player in this draft. his attitude is right up there with the best of them. He's been mentioned by different multiple times to challenge for first overall and first forward drafted. He's broken records for a draft eligible player in the FEL.

And you think he should go 10th?

Old
02-16-2013, 07:02 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
To pick Barkov at 10 what players would you pick 1-9 out of curiosity?
Off the top of my head?

Jones
Nichuskin
Mackinnon
Drouin
Monahan
Zadorov

Let's say 7th, which is right where ISS has him.

I really like Zadorov, really intrigued by his improving offensive game, he had the size and nastiness already. I wouldn't be unhappy if we picked him at all.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
That's utterly insane. This is just like your pointless boosting of Faksa over Grigorenko last year. You pick someone to be the one lone voice of question on and stick to it like glue.

Barkov has puck skills that rival MacK's and Droun's. He has some of the best size in the draft. He has a defensive game that is probably better than any other forward in this draft, or at the very least on par with them. He's been said by multiple scouts to be one of, if not the most well rounded player in this draft. his attitude is right up there with the best of them. He's been mentioned by different multiple times to challenge for first overall and first forward drafted. He's broken records for a draft eligible player in the FEL.

And you think he should go 10th?
I have him in there with Lindholm at the moment, probably more around 7 to 9, so that is not far off of 10.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:09 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Barkov is 3 or 4 at the latest. Some order of
Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov

Old
02-17-2013, 07:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Looks like Adam Erne's production has fallen off. Probably couldn't fight the jinx when a poster hyped him here. He's going in reverse.

Sept - 6pts 4 games
Oct - 18pts in 11 games
Nov - 11pts in 12 games
Dec - 15pts 11 games
Jan - 9pts 10 games
Feb -3pts 7 games
Probably doesn't help that Grigorenko is in the NHL.

Don't have to worry about shutting down the Goal Per Game player if he isn't there.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
02-17-2013, 07:58 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes, but much or I should say most of what we see here is North American biased.

I think there is some misconception that all the NHL players are the best in the world, when we know that isn't true.

I'd say for the most part the top players in the world play in the NHL, but 3rd. and 4th. liners in the NHL aren't the top players.

Ranking the players isn't saying they'll all come over to the NHL and take lessor roles than they can get in the European leagues, it is about ranking the players skills and abilities not their propensity to play in the NHL.

IIRC with Barkov it has always been an issue about his speed. It was the same with Tavares, and he's completely eliminated that concern.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:00 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Probably doesn't help that Grigorenko is in the NHL.

Don't have to worry about shutting down the Goal Per Game player if he isn't there.
One thing we saw last year, when players slide they tend to stay there, Fryk was supposed to be a first rounder, Nick Ebert slipped all the way to the last pick picked, and obcourse there was Grigornenko. Erne was the biggest dropper, down 11 slots.

Here's the TSN draft report this month:

Falling Stock

Quote:
A month after being passed by Seth Jones in the International Scouting Services 2013 NHL Draft rankings, Nate MacKinnon has dropped to third in the February rankings.

Left winger Valery Nichushkin, who plays for Chelijabinsk in Russia, moved up five spots in the month to push MacKinnon to third.

MacKinnon's teammate with the Halifax Mooseheads, Jonathan Drouin, slid down to fourth, while Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds defenceman Darnell Nurse moved up five spots to crack the top five.

Rounding out the top 10 is defenceman Nikita Zadorov of the London Knights, Tappara forward Sasha Barkov, centre Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's, Brynas forward Elias Lindholm and Turku defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen.

Right winger Adam Erne of the Quebec Remparts had the biggest drop in the Top 30, falling 11 spots to land at No. 26. Modo defenceman Robert Hagg fell 10 spots in the rankings, going from No. 12 in January to No. 22 this month.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
I'm really suprised Shinkaruk isn't in the top 10... really shows how strong this draft is.

If we have lets say the 15th pick (barely make playoffs) and we trade a guy like Liles for the 25thish then we might be able to snag both Shinkaruk and Domi

Old
02-17-2013, 09:45 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
One thing we saw last year, when players slide they tend to stay there, Fryk was supposed to be a first rounder, Nick Ebert slipped all the way to the last pick picked, and obcourse there was Grigornenko. Erne was the biggest dropper, down 11 slots.

Here's the TSN draft report this month:

Falling Stock
Quote:
A month after being passed by Seth Jones in the International Scouting Services 2013 NHL Draft rankings, Nate MacKinnon has dropped to third in the February rankings.

Left winger Valery Nichushkin, who plays for Chelijabinsk in Russia, moved up five spots in the month to push MacKinnon to third.

MacKinnon's teammate with the Halifax Mooseheads, Jonathan Drouin, slid down to fourth, while Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds defenceman Darnell Nurse moved up five spots to crack the top five.

Rounding out the top 10 is defenceman Nikita Zadorov of the London Knights, Tappara forward Sasha Barkov, centre Sean Monahan of the Ottawa 67's, Brynas forward Elias Lindholm and Turku defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen.

Right winger Adam Erne of the Quebec Remparts had the biggest drop in the Top 30, falling 11 spots to land at No. 26. Modo defenceman Robert Hagg fell 10 spots in the rankings, going from No. 12 in January to No. 22 this month.
I can only imagine where Nichushkin would be ranked if he was playing in the CHL and getting all the home town love.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
sniper81

Quote:
I can only imagine where Nichushkin would be ranked if he was playing in the CHL and getting all the home town love.
Same with Barkov.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

The more we move closer to the playoffs the more closer I think we should non stop focus on getting Monahan

02-17-2013, 09:57 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
I'm not surprised he is rated this high, I think he can be the second most impactful player in this draft, his skill set is too great. Also the intangible I like about him since the under 17, he plays big in big games. A player with this mindset is likely less to be a bust than one that doesn't play well in big games. He can elevate his game, this kid is going to be a dominant NHL fwd IMO.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Hagged

Quote:
I'd like Barkov at third round. Not that I think he will be drafted there, but he would definitely be the steal of the draft. NHL ready prospect who has potential to be the best player out of the draft, and the only knock on his game is that he plays defense first. He is more of a third D than the normal young offense first center he "should" be.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
I'd like Barkov at third round. Not that I think he will be drafted there, but he would definitely be the steal of the draft. NHL ready prospect who has potential to be the best player out of the draft, and the only knock on his game is that he plays defense first. He is more of a third D than the normal young offense first center he "should" be.
Selfish dude seems more interested in wins than improving his rankings in the draft.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
You do understand, that as a 17 year old, he's broken Jokinen's records for deaft elligible players in the FEL, right? Offensive records.

He's the epitome of a "two-way center".

Old
02-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

I can't see Barkov falling out of the top 5. Just my personal opinion, he can go as high as 2 and as low as 5...Jones is the only player I can't see him passing, after that he's right there with Mackinnon, Drouin, Lindholm, Monahan...NHL teams will not ignore his size, physical maturity, and 2-way game. He should be a slam dunk to be Sundin or E Staal type player, so long as skating is not an issue.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
You do understand, that as a 17 year old, he's broken Jokinen's records for deaft elligible players in the FEL, right? Offensive records.

He's the epitome of a "two-way center".
I find it so odd that with things like this considered, he would drop so much. The rankings have been drastically altered, despite the play of the kids in their respective leagues not changing as much. Sure Drouin has outplayed Mac a bit, and Linholm has slowed down a little, but Barkov hasn't lost a step and neither has Monahan. I don't see why Nurse has jumped so much, although I haven't been watching his play. I just don't see how a scouting service can see so much change. What did they miss last month that has changed their minds so much this month?

Old
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Anyways I doubt we get a top 10 pick this year, time for me to get familiar with the 11-20 range...but really would like us to take a flyer on Nichushkin if he falls due to Russian/KHL factor.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
The more we move closer to the playoffs the more closer I think we should non stop focus on getting Monahan
Ottawa will probably take him.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
I find it so odd that with things like this considered, he would drop so much. The rankings have been drastically altered, despite the play of the kids in their respective leagues not changing as much. Sure Drouin has outplayed Mac a bit, and Linholm has slowed down a little, but Barkov hasn't lost a step and neither has Monahan. I don't see why Nurse has jumped so much, although I haven't been watching his play. I just don't see how a scouting service can see so much change. What did they miss last month that has changed their minds so much this month?
My fiancés uncle, who attends London games regularly, doesn't even understand the jump for Zadorov. He loves the guy, but said he hasn't done anything to warrant jumping past Monahan, who isn't better than Barkov, in his eyes. It seems that ISS' crystal ball may be on the fritz.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

11-20 will most likely be our range, there is a great group of players there, so we should be in great shape.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
My fiancés uncle, who attends London games regularly, doesn't even understand the jump for Zadorov. He loves the guy, but said he hasn't done anything to warrant jumping past Monahan, who isn't better than Barkov, in his eyes. It seems that ISS' crystal ball may be on the fritz.
I've heard he's done quite well in a tough, shut down role. But I can understand why leaf fans wouldn't believe the hype on a prospect like that.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe the hits he threw in the prospects game meant something for some people?

Closed Thread