HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

vCash: 500
Khabibulin looked great I thought, like a real solid back up.

Rest of the team, meh. Smitty is barely an NHL'er anymore. Yak still young and getting adjusted. Whitney is a moron who should get off the team ASAP. First line with Hall and Ebs, well, opposing teams have figured them out. Desperately need to split those two up. Probably should trade one of them too for better complimentary players they could use to improve depth, grit, size, a lot of things.

Oilers make everything look difficult and don't know how to play gritty, simple hockey. You see crappy(er) teams with much less talent making things look easy. It's extremely frustrating and I find myself yelling at the TV several times. They do battle though, and they are losing close games.

Tambellini/management/whoever-the-hell needs to make a few deals and start being pro active here, it's clear as day they won't win with this small, skilled group, no matter how individually talented or skilled some of these players are. They need a much more balanced mix. One of the big four will have to go eventually cuz it just doesn't make sense the way it is right now. And defensively they still have a ways to go. Klefbom is not going to be their answer. Smid-Petry should be a solid 2nd pairing in the NHL, not your go to shut down unit, and N. Schultz, as much as I like him, should be on their bottom pairing if they really want to feel like they're in good shape.

Last edited by Philly85: 02-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
I hope Eberle can snap out of his funk tomorrow vs. Columbus.

I swear if we lose tomorrow this place will implode for real

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Khabi looked excellent today - that's what I'll take from this game. Otherwise, the team in front of him looked exactly how they have all year

Exactly. Gotta give Khabi credit where it's due. He played very solid and made some excellent saves.

The rest of the team... not so much. Without Khabi playing so well and without J Schultz wristing yet another beauty (again thank god he chose the Oilers)... the Oilers would have been easily shut out and Detroit could have potted 2-3 more than they did if the goalie was only average today.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Guys we're 4-2-1, and San Jose is the best team in the league right now, step back from the ledge.

Come on guys, 4-3-1, it's not like we played terrible, Avs had a strong forecheck all night.

Oh so close, we almost beat the President Trophy winners, and we're still 4-3-2.

We in the playoffs boys, stop the suicide watch, 4-3-3 is a decent record for where this team is at.

God this board is depressing, we're 4-4-3 and it's not like we didn't try out there. We're a 0.500 hockey team, everybody step away from those ledges!

Definite strides this year, we finish 4-10-34, there were some good strides. No worries guys #DeathforSeth #Playoffs2014

**** this team. **** this loser mentality.
+1. RT. Like.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Whitney, Potter, Smyth need to GTFO, honestly.

Paajarvi needs to step up offensively.

The team needs to SHOOT on the ****ing PP and HIT THE ****ING NET.

Krueger needs to find out why we are having trouble scoring goals and fix it quick.
Frankly, everyone needs to step it up offensively. Chances are nice but none of them are hitting the back of the net enough.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I almost fell off my seat when he won that one faceoff clean on the five on three.
No point pretending that Gagner had a strong game ... but he had plenty of company.
He got owned by Datsyuk. No excuse and he knew it was going to be a hard day at the office, but Hall was looking awfully confused today and wasn't any help on the line. Really that whole line had nothing going today.

Silly changing it up.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:38 PM
The Perfect Human*

For those who want to see the MPS one-timers:

2:09

0:26

2:03

3:43

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:40 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
For those who want to see the MPS one-timers:

2:09

0:26

2:03
The last highlight was 2 years ago, what does that tell you?

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Being one of those ever patient "calm yourselves and get off the ledge" posters, even I'm getting tried. Two rookies does not a magnificent team change make.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:43 PM
PaperDesigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmen 1 View Post
People its time for this elite group of kids to have a coach that will not stand for loss's. They had an opportunity and they choose wrong. We need an established no non sence coach ala Brian Sutter type.... Enough with this wait till next year attitude..
What on earth would make you think the problem is coaching? They've gone through three different coaching staffs in the past four years, each with different styles and resumes. The common factor? Steve Tambellini.

PaperDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Wouldn't it figure that scoring goals, the teams supposed strength, and defense/goaltending, the supposed weakness, are complete opposites?

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He got owned by Datsyuk. No excuse and he knew it was going to be a hard day at the office, but Hall was looking awfully confused today and wasn't any help on the line. Really that whole line had nothing going today.

Silly changing it up.
I'd like to see them try Gagner between Hall and Eberle. It worked well last season. Plus Gagner has been our best center this season. Why not treat him like it?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The last highlight was 2 years ago, what does that tell you?
He's done it in the AHL with relative consistency as well. I think if he had any semblance of offensive hockey IQ he'd open himself up for more shots like this.

Even if he can't, it wouldn't be too bad trying him for these kind of shots on the PP. But with Yakupov there there's literally no point. Maybe if we get desperate and want to play the 2nd unit with no defenseman, he can try the point with Hemsky/Yakupov.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Being one of those ever patient "calm yourselves and get off the ledge" posters, even I'm getting tried. Two rookies does not a magnificent team change make.
And this is what I said repeatedly during the summer. Some people thought I was being hard on Tambo for only adding Schultz and Yak. If the goal really was to make the playoffs this year then he needed to do a helluva lot more than that.

Old
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And this is what I said repeatedly during the summer. Some people thought I was being hard on Tambo for only adding Schultz and Yak. If the goal really was to make the playoffs this year then he needed to do a helluva lot more than that.
Miracles?

Old
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I'd like to see them try Gagner between Hall and Eberle. It worked well last season. Plus Gagner has been our best center this season. Why not treat him like it?
Yep, Hall doesn't work with Gagner, its Eberle that does. Hall creates some open space but has limited downlow cycle passing tendency.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:48 PM
NeverForget06
I was in 5th Grade

Smyth takes way to many penalties IMO, the guy gets at least one stick infraction a game. He is stuck playing a style of hockey THAT DIED TWO LOCKOUTS AGO. Ive been a long time supporter of the guy but he was SECOND in penalty minutes last year. 82 pims in 82 games last year, 20 pims in 11 this year.

This needs to change. No excuses.

NeverForget06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He's done it in the AHL with relative consistency as well. I think if he had any semblance of offensive hockey IQ he'd open himself up for more shots like this.

Even if he can't, it wouldn't be too bad trying him for these kind of shots on the PP. But with Yakupov there there's literally no point. Maybe if we get desperate and want to play the 2nd unit with no defenseman, he can try the point with Hemsky/Yakupov.
C'mon. So beating AHL goalies on a "one timer" is now evidence of NHL acumen at the same? Since when were AHL goals proof of ability to score at this level?

Old
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
McXLNC97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
I hope Eberle can snap out of his funk tomorrow vs. Columbus.

I swear if we lose tomorrow this place will implode for real
What this team needs tomorrow is to score a couple of even strength goals in the first 10-15 minutes of tomorrows game, and the guys scoring them being RNH and Eberle.

McXLNC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil and Avs View Post
Smyth takes way to many penalties IMO, the guy gets at least one stick infraction a game. He is stuck playing a style of hockey THAT DIED TWO LOCKOUTS AGO. Ive been a long time supporter of the guy but he was SECOND in penalty minutes last year. 82 pims in 82 games last year, 20 pims in 11 this year.

This needs to change. No excuses.
It's because he can't skate. He literally can't keep up anymore. He used to forecheck just as hard 4-5 years ago, but then he had legs and could actually catch up to defensemen and steal the puck. Now literally every time Smyth forces a turnover he does it through a penalty - whether or not it gets called is up to the Refs.

He has not once legally stripped a player of the puck on the forecheck before this year. He'll chase them around the net, then rely on some type of trip/hook/hold to catch up to them on the way around.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:51 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Don't know if its been mentioned, but Tom Gazolla just retweeted this

"@jirelandEJ: The exchanges that earned #Oilers Yakupov an unsportmanlike & Smyth a misconduct went like this. "Nice call" & "You don't need to be a hero""

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Miracles?
Something drastic that may not have even worked in the end. Take a gamble on someone, or more likely a couple of players, that they probably wouldn't be willing to take. High risk-high reward type moves have not been Tambo style, and I doubt they will be this year as well.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
C'mon. So beating AHL goalies on a "one timer" is now evidence of NHL acumen at the same? Since when were AHL goals proof of ability to score at this level?
Not at all - you're right. But the shot is there - and it's at a higher level than our entire top-6 outside of Yakupov. That's the point I'm trying to make.

And he is beating NHL goalies with it. He beat Schneider last year, he beat Ellis and Backstrom with it. For him it's more about actually getting it off rather than whether or not it will go in. He just never has the IQ to release it.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:53 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Something drastic that may not have even worked in the end. Take a gamble on someone, or more likely a couple of players, that they probably wouldn't be willing to take. High risk-high reward type moves have not been Tambo style, and I doubt they will be this year as well.
He took a risk on Cam Barker last year. We all know how that ended up.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:54 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He took a risk on Cam Barker last year. We all know how that ended up.
But lots here liked that risk when it was first made.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote