HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
seguino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Look for this exact same post in 2016 when this team is still wallowing in the gutter.
probably.

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
How awful is the CBC broadcast? All game long I was shaking my head at whatever they thought they were seeing.
Mark Lee is so entertaining.

"Here come the Oilers, the Red Wings, rather."

"And Potter will clear the puck out, but it's not out."

Those are just a few that made it's way into my memory.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
On the plus side, our record isn't *that* terrible given that offensively we've been terrible all year long.

And no we haven't been carried by unreal goaltending either, Duby's numbers are about the same as last year.

They gotta figure out this mess starting tomorrow though, Krueger we need some solutions to some of the problems we have right now.
We've been outshot almost every game this year. The goaltenind has been outstanding and there are massive holes. If the pp is not hot hot we are not winning. Also our record is not great, but the fact we are doing our annual swan dive with a massive losing streak is the problem.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Chef10

we are missing 3 center men that really hurts, this team tries to make everything look like the highlight of the night! i think they need to learn how to score dirty garbage goals, and if we don't shot the puck that will never happen! i know we can say that we are only 10 games into teh season but that is almost the quarter point and hopefully things will turn soon.

i would not mind seeing a trade to get some size into out top 6 and unless that happens i dont think much will change in the style of play this team has

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
SDig14

When every single good player on this team is 25 years old or under, it's a recipe for being a pretty poor team.

No teams win with a core 18-23 years old like Gagner, Hall, Ebs, Schultz, and RNH.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Have you seen his posting history? If level headed means being the grand apologist and expecting no improvemnt for years and being okay with that then I guess that is level headed. The only thing worse than the panic attack crowd on these forums is the 'all is well it will come' crowd when there is no evidence at all that the front office knows how to make it happen.
You are the last person who should be talking.

Aren't we supposed to be better without Horcoff? Oops, guess not!

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Sure you do. According to several posters here, nothing Gagner does is ever good enough. Everything RNH does is golden, even if it's the same or less. But like I said, he's still a sacred cow for some reason - maybe next year when we get another shiny new toy.
That may be your opinion, but that isnt how it is. Im one of Gagner's more vocal critics, but even I will give him props for playing well. Ive also been concerned with Hopkins play this season, but today wasnt one of those times.

Hopkins is a first overall pick, in his sophomore year. Gagner was a high pick, but not first overall, and this is his sixth season. Hopkins plays pretty well defensively, Gagner is poor defensively, and that is being kind. He has been producing offensively, which is great, but there are two ends of the rink, not just one.

The only thing the two have in common is playing for the same team. It really is futile and irrelevant to compare them to each other. The only reason you seem to be doing so here is to poke at those who probably dont share your POV when it comes to Gagner. I dont think that is fair.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Another interesting factoid.............have we won a game without Horcoff?

Old
02-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef10 View Post
we are missing 3 center men that really hurts
I wish we could pin it on this, but we have not been scoring at all. We have one 4 goal game (including an EN). We're the absolute worst team in the league scoring goals at 5-5.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
You are the last person who should be talking.

Aren't we supposed to be better without Horcoff? Oops, guess not!
And just as I said in those threads, watch how Horcules gets better and better and better the longer he is out.

I fully accept people blasting me for me taking the Oilers and especially Horcoff to task in an on going basis.

You are portrayed as 'the voice of reason' while thinking Horcoff is a good an valuable player.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Another interesting factoid.............have we won a game without Horcoff?
Yeah. he's the great catalyst.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Yeah. he's the great catalyst.
The facts speak for themselves.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
plikestechno

Just lame that we're getting such miserable results despite great goaltending and decent defensive play for once.

Gifted 4 power plays including a long 5 on 3 and nothing.

Put the top 6 back together as they've been all year. Mixing things up really didn't look well today. Hall Hemsky Gagner especially looked like a disaster and that game needed more Yak time.

Tired of watching Paajarvi almost do things all game. All show no dough with that game.

Winning face offs and puck battles in the O zone would be nice one day.

Tired of watching a team lacking composure when things go south. Even the vets can't keep it together. Breathe, throw the puck at the net, go to the net and get it.

After Hall and Eberle, if Yak tries one through his legs tomorrow I may throw the remote through the TV.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
And just as I said in those threads, watch how Horcules gets better and better and better the longer he is out.

I fully accept people blasting me for me taking the Oilers and especially Horcoff to task in an on going basis.

You are portrayed as 'the voice of reason' while thinking Horcoff is a good an valuable player.
I don't think you'll find anyone here who thinks he's good. If he got five goals all year that would probably be an overachievement.

That being said I think he has more value than people realize. Sure he's slow and can't shoot, but he seems to be better than Ryan Smyth at being a net presence on the PP, which is the latter's calling card. And for better or worse, he is one of the better faceoff men on this team. With the last Canucks game being the lone exception, he was 50% or better in every game he appeared in.

Anyway, you and I will never agree on this topic so I'm not going to argue further.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:16 PM
awesomo
HARD!

you know what this place needs, a smile.

sharks winless in 4

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:20 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Mark Lee is so entertaining.

"Here come the Oilers, the Red Wings, rather."

"And Potter will clear the puck out, but it's not out."

Those are just a few that made it's way into my memory.
Mark Lee has to be the worst play by play guy in Canada. I can't stand him.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

"Here comes a steaming Taylor Hall"

Im still not comfortable with that one.

Old
02-09-2013, 09:28 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I don't think you'll find anyone here who thinks he's good. If he got five goals all year that would probably be an overachievement.
Actually you'll find a guy just a few posts up who created a thread suggesting Horc would be statistically better than Gagner this season.
Now of course he bemoans the idea of poking at other posters just for the hell of it. Not fair indeed.

harpoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Actually you'll find a guy just a few posts up who created a thread suggesting Horc would be statistically better than Gagner this season.
Now of course he bemoans the idea of poking at other posters just for the hell of it. Not fair indeed.
Ah that thread.

Well, to be fair, in IATL's eyes, being better than Gagner doesn't make you good....

Old
02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Ah that thread.

Well, to be fair, in IATL's eyes, being better than Gagner doesn't make you good....
That was nothing more than a fun exercise. No malicious intent in that thread whatsoever. Apparently stalky isnt able to discern the difference.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd like to see the new lines for one more game.

The PP sucks and we lost yet again at Joe Louis. People are really surprised by this?

I generally like what Krueger's done this year; he couldn't have predicted that all of the kids would go into a slump at the same time.

Only problem is seriously thinking Smyth could play center at any point. Guy is washed up.

Getting Belanger back will help but this team has to face the fact that their top 2 centers are horrible on faceoffs. Biggest concern and biggest problem with the PP.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:18 PM
seguino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'd like to see the new lines for one more game.

The PP sucks and we lost yet again at Joe Louis. People are really surprised by this?

I generally like what Krueger's done this year; he couldn't have predicted that all of the kids would go into a slump at the same time.

Only problem is seriously thinking Smyth could play center at any point. Guy is washed up.

Getting Belanger back will help but this team has to face the fact that their top 2 centers are horrible on faceoffs. Biggest concern and biggest problem with the PP.
i just hope its a slump. have a feeling it could be ``what you see is what you get.``

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I hate when people try to minimize fans' concerns by oversimplifying and understating the situation.

The PP wasn't great today, but we're still 5th in the NHL, and 7th on the PK. Those are both great stats.

But we are DEAD LAST in the NHL even strength scoring. 9 in 11 games, including an empty netter. That's pathetic. That's VERY concerning for me.

Glass half full? We've created lots of chances that almost went in. But almost doesn't count unfortunately.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Why are so many of you ok with this team? So many "you need to relax", and step away from the ledge" comments.

We've played 11 games so far, the majority of them against teams just like us. We aren't playing stacked line-ups, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit are all just as banged up as we are. Our wins have came inspite of our selves for the most part.

4 coaches, 30 odd roster moves. We've replaced guys like Moreau, Penner, O'Sullivan, Cole, Omark, Nilsson, presumably to upgrade, but now we have a new set of guys who are putting in the same effort and getting us the same results.

I'm so sick of people saying its only 11 games. It's actually been the better part of ten years and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be a car driving in the same direction as us going the same speed.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Gusher

Off-topic kinda...

Can someone tell me what the Oilers goal song is? Thanks.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote