HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Fayne Gretzky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Off-topic kinda...

Can someone tell me what the Oilers goal song is? Thanks.
Don't Stop the Party - Pitbull? I think. I haven't heard it enough to be certain.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Why are so many of you ok with this team? So many "you need to relax", and step away from the ledge" comments.

We've played 11 games so far, the majority of them against teams just like us. We aren't playing stacked line-ups, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit are all just as banged up as we are. Our wins have came inspite of our selves for the most part.

4 coaches, 30 odd roster moves. We've replaced guys like Moreau, Penner, O'Sullivan, Cole, Omark, Nilsson, presumably to upgrade, but now we have a new set of guys who are putting in the same effort and getting us the same results.

I'm so sick of people saying its only 11 games. It's actually been the better part of ten years and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be a car driving in the same direction as us going the same speed.
There is a lot to be concerned about. This team has 1 regulation win this season....1.
This team is dead last in 5x5 production.

This team has a core younger than 24 and they are supported by the worst group of veteran players (Horcoff, Smyth...et al) in the NHL.
This is yet another version of a team full of holes and lacking any semblance of balance on the roster.
The only constant through all of the bad teams over the past 4+ years has been Tambo. He has never shown that he has any idea of whats required to put together a competitive team.

I have no idea why fellow Oiler fans think that he is suddenly going to clue in and change his ways. He is what he is...a bad GM. He doesn't seem to know which veterans to keep and which to let go. He doesn't seem to understand what the weaknesses are and how they need to be addressed. He seems scared to make a mistake so he does next to nothing.

The consistently poor on ice product, and as you mentioned the 4 different coaches, should be enough confirmation of his lack of ability.
Unless the Management structure decides to use more of a group approach (thus taking some responsibility away from Tambo) I don't see much changing in terms of addressing the team needs.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:18 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Why are so many of you ok with this team? So many "you need to relax", and step away from the ledge" comments.

We've played 11 games so far, the majority of them against teams just like us. We aren't playing stacked line-ups, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit are all just as banged up as we are. Our wins have came inspite of our selves for the most part.

4 coaches, 30 odd roster moves. We've replaced guys like Moreau, Penner, O'Sullivan, Cole, Omark, Nilsson, presumably to upgrade, but now we have a new set of guys who are putting in the same effort and getting us the same results.

I'm so sick of people saying its only 11 games. It's actually been the better part of ten years and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be a car driving in the same direction as us going the same speed.
I tell people that because they sound like 8 year olds crying to their parents in the grocery store because they won't let them get the good cereal.

It's annoying to sit here and listen to people ***** and moan all game long.

"Our PP sucks", "these guys are ****ing pathetic, embarrasing effort", "Hall is going to score 8 goals this year because he's terrible", "We need a #1 centre because RNH isn't going to be able to play against good players".

At least for me, this is why I tell people to relax and take a breathe.

The NHL is a men's league, and I think some people forget our best players are a few years out of HIGH SCHOOL.

If you want to be mad at management for not improving the team, so be it. Our veterans are terrible, our bottom 6 is one of the worst in the league IMO, and our defense needs a serious upgrade.

But do people not think these guys are trying to win? The NHL isn't easy, if it was our kids would dominate every night.

I find people calling our players pathetic as frustrating as the losing, because they make it seem like they're playing ****ing whiffleball out there and that anything short of a 4-0 win every night is somehow a pathetic effort.

Nobody likes losing, it's very painful and sometimes watching this team can be kinda depressing. But I am an Oilers fan, I love the team and players, and I'm not going to pretend the Mayans were right every time we lose a one goal game.

It doesn't mean we can't be upset with the losses, I'm just not ready to have a mental breakdown like some people on here (not directed at you obviously).

/rant.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Mowzie and guymez are bang on.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Youth isn't an excuse anymore. The vast majority of NHL teams are led by players between the ages of 20 and 25.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:21 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Youth isn't an excuse anymore. The vast majority of NHL teams are led by players between the ages of 20 and 25.
Those teams do not have the worst group of players over the age of 25 in the entire NHL, at least none of the successful playoff teams anyways.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:24 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Those teams do not have the worst group of players over the age of 25 in the entire NHL, at least none of the successful playoff teams anyways.
Who would you suggest is responsible for that? How many more coaches have to fall on their sword?

Old
02-09-2013, 11:26 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Who would you suggest is responsible for that? How many more coaches have to fall on their sword?
I don't think anyone is defending management here...I'm defending players that bust their ass everyday trying to win and then get trashed daily by their "fans".

Management hasn't iced a team capable of making the playoffs since the run in 06, that should be pretty clear to most people.

EDIT: Maybe the 08 team, prior to the Vis injury, but that's debateable.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:31 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:

Its year 3 of a 5 year rebuild.

Were you expecting playoffs?

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:31 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
I don't think anyone is defending management here...I'm defending players that bust their ass everyday trying to win and then get trashed daily by their "fans".

Management hasn't iced a team capable of making the playoffs since the run in 06, that should be pretty clear to most people.
I agree that it should be pretty clear...but it isn't.

As for the players there are some players that deserve some heat IMO. Busting their ass or not some of them simply aren't good enough to help this team.

I just think that the bulk of the heat should fall to the feet of management because thats who is responsible for those players being on the roster.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
Don't Stop the Party - Pitbull? I think. I haven't heard it enough to be certain.
Thanks!

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I agree that it should be pretty clear...but it isn't.

As for the players there are some players that deserve some heat IMO. Busting their ass or not some of them simply aren't good enough to help this team.

I just think that the bulk of the heat should fall to the feet of management because thats who is responsible for those players being on the roster.
Agreed, players not playing to their potential is something of a concern.

However, like you said, there are players that are either playing roles too high for them or are simply not able to contribute to a playoff team.

Guys like Potter, Whitney, and Smyth IMO have been nearly useless, which is the fault of management for not upgrading the team.

But these guys have pride. They want to win and play their best. Whitney goes out there and has zero confidence and simply can't get it done anymore. I'm not going to blame Whits for still being a top 6 guy here.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:43 PM
SDig14

Don't worry though guys, MacT is the heir to the throne.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Rains

I just don't fu***** get it anymore. I'm sick and tired of no killer instinct with ANYTHING. so beyond frustrating.......

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Don't worry though guys, MacT is the heir to the throne.
He will be our next gm.

Bucky will be our next head coach.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:50 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
The thing I notice a lot around the boards is the games we expect to be blown out in (this, the last Sharks game, last Canucks game) and people complain when we lose a tight one...

Losing sucks for sure but is it that much worse?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Sharks blew us out but we scored 3 goals... so that was encouraging.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 3234
I think if people try to adopt a more reasonable expectation for the Oilers this year, like 25-20th overall, the less disappointed they will be. Expecting the playoffs after finishing 30th, 30th, 29th is unreasonable IMO.

As far as tomorrow goes, I would like to see Krueger put the lines back to the way they were and I like'd to see the Oilers outshoot the Bluejackets. The game will likely be close as usual.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:03 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He will be our next gm.

Bucky will be our next head coach.
I have no doubt he will be the next GM, and it might even be sooner rather than later.

However, call me crazy, but I think they are going to stick with Ralph for 3 years, including this one, and if it doesn't work they are going to....wait for it....go OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION!

Old
02-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Rains

FFWD for tomorrows game, The Oilers are up 2-1 with three minutes to go in the third. Oh wait, Jackets tie it up three seconds later. looks like were heading for OT. Oh no wait, the Jackets just scored with 45 seconds left to play, oh what an unlucky break...

Oilers coming on strong though, look at them skate, lost the puck at the blueline, lost the puck at the bluline, lost the puck at the blueline, lost the puck at the blueline......

3-2 Columbus

The end.

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I have no doubt he will be the next GM, and it might even be sooner rather than later.

However, call me crazy, but I think they are going to stick with Ralph for 3 years, including this one, and if it doesn't work they are going to....wait for it....go OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION!
They would never diss Buchberger like that.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Psychoil

Man watching the Canucks, it looks like they barely work hard, the play just follows them and they cycle and dominate the flames. Our first line looks like they bust their ass just to get a shot on and the Canucks are flinging that puck around and using the whole ice.

It's rather amazing watching them do it. Just wish we could show some of that play, we have the players to do it

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:17 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They would never diss Buchberger like that.
I don't know, I am sure Bucky has been delusional enough to think he could have been coaching this team already...

So I doubt he was pleased when Ralph, Tom, or even Pat Quinn were brought in, he should be used to disappointment by now.

I think we may have missed the boat on Hitch when he was available...

Old
02-10-2013, 12:25 AM
Rin

I didn't love the lines. I don't they are to blame, but I hated the result of the blender.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
NHLTradeRumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I find it amusing how a few posters here cannot set aside their agendas. Gagner is junk despite leading the team in points. Paajarvi and his 0 points this year are great.

Gagner was 31% on the dot today, take him out to the woodshed. RNH was 31% on the dot today - that's ok, he's learning or some other excuse.

Is RNH still a sacred cow around these parts? Did we draft him 1st overall to be a shut down C? He's sucked so far. 5 assists is not good enough. His decision making has been questionable. I hope he can turn it around soon.
Send RNH down so we don't burn a year on his ELC. He clearly isn't ready for the NHL.

NHLTradeRumors is offline   Reply With Quote