HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 ... again

Old
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 500

Highlight of the game for me.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Really? can't remember the last one-time slapper he's ever scored on.

Petry has got to be on that list.

And in terms of guys with better one-timers than Hall - Hemsky and Gagner also need to be included on the list.
Hall was scoring the onetimer well in OKC after RNH was called up, we haven't seen it much at the NHL level because of his position on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Yakupov, Schultz, Hall, maybe even Gagner and Hemsky.
It's still not a good one timer unless you can score with it. Paajarvi is an offensive black hole even going to back to his pre-draft days. He got drafted high because of his size and speed, not because of any above average offensive abilities that he has.
One of his best skills is his onetimer. I wonder how many of his goals that he scored in OKC you watched last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sorry guy, thats not what you said.

or I'm having trouble understanding it. The way that reads to me is Paajarvi scored a handful of goals in Edmonton on a Hemsky pass.

edit, whoops sorry, I parsed it now. Awkward sentence, but my bad on the reading it.
I'm not an Engrish professor so keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He got owned by Datsyuk. No excuse and he knew it was going to be a hard day at the office, but Hall was looking awfully confused today and wasn't any help on the line. Really that whole line had nothing going today.

Silly changing it up.
To be fair Datsyuk is one of the best, that said I like RNH's chances head to head much better than Gagner's. Gagner is at his best getting easier matchups where he can create offense and not get burned defensively.

Quote:
The last highlight was 2 years ago, what does that tell you?
http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011020881

That isn't yet it will be discredited somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Not at all - you're right. But the shot is there - and it's at a higher level than our entire top-6 outside of Yakupov. That's the point I'm trying to make.

And he is beating NHL goalies with it. He beat Schneider last year, he beat Ellis and Backstrom with it. For him it's more about actually getting it off rather than whether or not it will go in. He just never has the IQ to release it.
IMO it has to do with his linemates not looking for it. I've seen him a number of times get his stick in position for it just to be ignored. Not that he's got an elite onetimer or anything, but it sounds like it is criminally underrated here IMO.

Quote:
We're talking about the NHL level though. Arcobello can score well at the AHL level, doesn't mean that he could do that at the NHL level.
A one timer is only good if you can score with it and at the NHL level, he hasn't shown the ability to do so.
Have you seen Arco do the above at the NHL level? I guess the above doesn't show that he can score a onetimer at the NHL level eh?

02-09-2013, 11:37 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post

theres just so much potential with this

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I didn't love the lines. I don't they are to blame, but I hated the result of the blender.
I'd keep Hartikainen on the top line.
Try...

Hartikainen-Hopkins-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Belanger-Paajarvi
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post

They were probably trying to find something else to watch other than the hockey game.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I'd keep Hartikainen on the top line.
Try...

Hartikainen-Hopkins-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Hall-Belanger-Paajarvi
Eager-Smyth-Petrell
I didn't notice Yakupov much today... was he on his natural RW? Because Krueger needs to get him on the right side ASAP.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's pretty simple.

We haven't iced a playoff team to start the year since the cup run, and it's unfortunate because the young players believe they will be.

The NHL is not a league where kids 18-23 years old dominate and win cups, or even make the playoffs consistently.

You need guys in the 26-32 year old range that are good
, and you need a mix of different types of players.

We simply don't have any of them, and it won't matter if the kids struggle or all have 70 point seasons next year, they will not be a playoff team with Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger, Hemsky, Whitney, etc. as the verterans of this club.

Those players at this stage in their careers are not winners in the roles they are playing on this team right now.

I'm far less pessimistic than most around here and for the most part it is because I have managed my expectations. If you really thought this was a playoff team this year, then you were being delusional.

Interesting contradicition.

I shudder to think how depressing this team would be this season without J.Schultz, Hemsky, who last I checked was 29, and Gagner this year.

Horcoff was also playing well before injury and I can't stand the guy.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 02-09-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:46 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I didn't notice Yakupov much today... was he on his natural RW? Because Krueger needs to get him on the right side ASAP.
He was on his natural right side today, besides the few shifts he went back with Gagner and Hemsky.

You didn't notice him because he was playing on a black hole 3rd line with VV and Paajarvi who generate almost zero offense every shift.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:56 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Interesting contradicition.

I shudder to think how depressing this team would be this season without J.Schultz, Hemsky and Gagner this year.

Horcoff was also playing well before injury and I can't stand the guy.
The plain fact is we are relying on players 23 years old and under to be the major contributors on this team with ZERO offensive help from any veterans other than Hemsky.

I wasn't necessarily including Hemsky in the group of players playing poorly, just recognizing we have probably have the worst group of veterans in the NHL today.

Old
02-09-2013, 11:58 PM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The one thing I will say is this team doesn't look very well conditioned.

It always looks to me like we're out of gas by the third period of playing in Colorado every game, lol.
I think most of this has to do with them seldom winning any faceoffs and always having to chase the puck...

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:00 AM
SDig14

How sad is the veteran presence when we have to play a rookie defensemen, regardless of his talent level, 25+ minutes a night?

Old
02-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef10 View Post
we are missing 3 center men that really hurts, this team tries to make everything look like the highlight of the night! i think they need to learn how to score dirty garbage goals, and if we don't shot the puck that will never happen! i know we can say that we are only 10 games into teh season but that is almost the quarter point and hopefully things will turn soon.

i would not mind seeing a trade to get some size into out top 6 and unless that happens i dont think much will change in the style of play this team has
Man this is going to be the excuse for the org forever. Players falling like flies.

I don't buy it for a second. I think several players on this club don't mind being on the injury list. How long before Whitney catches a ride on this train. I say before the end of the month.

The carnage with this team is predictably excessive, always. Whats with that?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Off-topic kinda...

Can someone tell me what the Oilers goal song is? Thanks.
Love Stinks. J Geils band.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Those teams do not have the worst group of players over the age of 25 in the entire NHL, at least none of the successful playoff teams anyways.
How many teams have 3 #1 draft picks and Jordan Eberle looking so bloody ordinary?

I don't care what age they are these kids have been playing together all season and should be kicking the stuffing out of most teams. Not looking clueless all the time.

Our allstar line is doing **** all. So much so that they had to be broken up. Is that on the vets?

Old
02-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He will be our next gm.

Bucky will be our next head coach.
I'm looking forward to the Cory Cross/Patrick O'Sullivan GM/coach combo.

Last edited by Puritania: 02-10-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo
Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:44 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
You chide someone for saying what you called the most stupid thing youve ever read and then you post this?

Hopkins had a whale of a game today excepting his FO futility. He made several great defensive plays, some of which saved GA outright. He hasnt played that well before today but there is precious little to complain about his game today.
RNH played an awesome game today despite not getting on the scoresheet... His offence will come as he will learn not to force passes through 4 people, same with hall.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:46 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
The plain fact is we are relying on players 23 years old and under to be the major contributors on this team with ZERO offensive help from any veterans other than Hemsky.

I wasn't necessarily including Hemsky in the group of players playing poorly, just recognizing we have probably have the worst group of veterans in the NHL today.
To be fair, I think there are two ways to look at this.

I'd tend to agree, our vets are as bad as any team in the league, but the real issue is that we are getting so little production from them. When a team has the first pick three times straight, they're going to be loaded with young, elite talent. That in itself isn't a damnation on the team. Having our main vets in the bottom 6 or bottom D pairing wouldn't even be an issue if they did the minimum that was asked of them. But they can't even do that.

No harm in leaning on the kids here, but we're relying on them exclusively which is causing problems.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:53 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

If they are changing up lines they should split the top six to three lines giving them 17 18 min a night and use the fourth for 6 to 9 min a night a more balanced attack .

Rnh Yak
Hall Eberle
Gagner Hemsky

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
If they are changing up lines they should split the top six to three lines giving them 17 18 min a night and use the fourth for 6 to 9 min a night a more balanced attack .

Rnh Yak
Hall Eberle
Gagner Hemsky
I like.. Something like that would work better on the road as well.

Baby Nilsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:17 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Its year 3 of a 5 year rebuild.

Were you expecting playoffs?
IATL that 5 year rebuild was for us to be legit contenders for the Stanley cup. This year we should be pushing for a playoff spot at minimum. We should have more then 1 regulation win in 11 games! How much more leniency does this management regime get?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:29 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
IATL that 5 year rebuild was for us to be legit contenders for the Stanley cup. This year we should be pushing for a playoff spot at minimum. We should have more then 1 regulation win in 11 games! How much more leniency does this management regime get?
It is hard to figure out when the rebuild really started, I think it was the year they finished last, so this would be year 4. Its like we are living a real life hockey version of 'MoneyBall'.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:38 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
It is hard to figure out when the rebuild really started, I think it was the year they finished last, so this would be year 4. Its like we are living a real life hockey version of 'MoneyBall'.
Started halfway through the 2009/10 season. They made the big push to get Heatley in the summer of 2009.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I think Kevin Lowe called for the 5 year plan the season after they finished last and drafted Hall.

So we are now in year 3. And yeah... one would think that year 5 would be the finished product (aka cup contender), year 3 would presumably be where things begin to come together. Not yet sadly.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think Kevin Lowe called for the 5 year plan the season after they finished last and drafted Hall.

So we are now in year 3. And yeah... one would think that year 5 would be the finished product (aka cup contender), year 3 would presumably be where things begin to come together. Not yet sadly.
We still have some gaping holes, luckily most of them are in support positions.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Don't worry though guys, MacT is the heir to the throne.
Probably, though I seriously do think Brian Burke will be considered if he's still available and Tambo is out.

People forget that Kaberle was the Leafs best player when he inherited that club in 2008 (well Sundin too, but he semi-retired).

Just make sure the guy has decent goaltending. But honestly the Lupul trade, the JVR trade, even the Phaneuf trade (gave Sutter garbage even if Dion is overrated) were wins for the Leafs and Kadri looks like a decent pick.

He'll always be dogged by that Kessel offer sheet, but I think the Leafs impatient management pushed him into that, and it's not like Kessel isn't a pretty darn good player (4 time 30 goal scorer).

He is loud and to the point no doubt, but maybe it's time we had someone with some fire in their belly running the show.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote