Notices

The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 01:44 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Fletch has more time than Yeo, or Leopld's a fool, and Leopold does not strike me as a fool.

**** happens. Things don't always work out the way you expect. You take risks to get ahead. Leopold knows this.

Other teams may have better coaches, but not many other teams have better gms.

Oh no, Yeo might not work out. Fletch tried, and we all believed Yeo in the beginning, plus he had a decent resume. Get over it and try the next one.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. We get no chances from it? Talk about exaggeration.
If this were one game we were talking about, then sure, that might be the case. Very possible that a hot goalie or a night of bad bounces give you a low shooting percentage. But let's look at six games in a row with lots of shots but almost no goals. You can't blame luck that many nights in a row. And you can't say that six different goalies (including a range of starters and backups, veterans and rookies...even a guy who had played himself out of a job earlier that week) are all turning in unusually good flukey performances. We're generating easy saves, not scoring chances.

@ ANA 1-27 (3.7%)
@ PHX 1-22 (4.5%)
vs. VAN 1-23 (4.3%)
vs. NSH 2-32 (6.3%)
@ CGY 1-24 (4.2%)
@ VAN 1-26 (3.8%)

7 goals on 154 shots, for a 4.5% shooting percentage. To put that in perspective, in those six games, opposing goalies have a 95.5% save percentage. Sorry, but we aren't playing a Vezina winner every single night. Our quality of shots are just making it look that way.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So we have a list of coaching replacements finally:

1. John Torchetti - NHL head coaching experience has been an interim coach twice, lifetime record of 15-17-4-1, both teams missed the playoffs.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:57 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

1. John Torchetti - NHL head coaching experience has been an interim coach twice, lifetime record of 15-17-4-1, both teams missed the playoffs.
THE designated interim, Torch. Who knows 3rd time may be the charm.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:01 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
If this were one game we were talking about, then sure, that might be the case. Very possible that a hot goalie or a night of bad bounces give you a low shooting percentage. But let's look at six games in a row with lots of shots but almost no goals. You can't blame luck that many nights in a row. And you can't say that six different goalies (including a range of starters and backups, veterans and rookies...even a guy who had played himself out of a job earlier that week) are all turning in unusually good flukey performances. We're generating easy saves, not scoring chances.

@ ANA 1-27 (3.7%)
@ PHX 1-22 (4.5%)
vs. VAN 1-23 (4.3%)
vs. NSH 2-32 (6.3%)
@ CGY 1-24 (4.2%)
@ VAN 1-26 (3.8%)

7 goals on 154 shots, for a 4.5% shooting percentage. To put that in perspective, in those six games, opposing goalies have a 95.5% save percentage. Sorry, but we aren't playing a Vezina winner every single night. Our quality of shots are just making it look that way.
Right, Because Suter's post wasn't a scoring chance nor was Coyle's quick shot to the lower left of the net. There were numerous other times where the team and a quality scoring chance but just wasn't able to capitalize. 4.5% shooting percentage is half, HALF, of the average but you're completely correct. The Wild aren't getting scoring chances, they're taking low quality shots from center ice. :rollseyes:

They're going to start scoring goals. Mark my words.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

Gee...How can we lose

Makes Yeo look good...

Old
02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
We don't hardly have any options though. Put Sydor, Darby, or Rick Wilson in charge?
The team is not responding to Yeo, the body of evidence both this year and the latter half of last year is evidence of such. Fletcher, has in essence, gambled both times in hiring rookie coaches. Both had relative success in the minor leagues and in the case of Richards some asst. experience with Pittsburgh. However, the transition from the AHL head to NHL head is massive.

Darby, is too green, Sydor does not have the NHL bench experience that Wilson has, I would have no problem installing him as interim head, with the idea of finding a seasoned head coach to lead this supposedly talented and very expensive team!nod:

Old
02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Fletch has more time than Yeo, or Leopld's a fool, and Leopold does not strike me as a fool.

**** happens. Things don't always work out the way you expect. You take risks to get ahead. Leopold knows this.

Other teams may have better coaches, but not many other teams have better gms.

Oh no, Yeo might not work out. Fletch tried, and we all believed Yeo in the beginning, plus he had a decent resume. Get over it and try the next one.
I'd say a lot of other teams have better GMs.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Granlund 64

That would be Yeo who had the coaching experience in Pittsburgh. Richards was an assistant for San Jose.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I'd say a lot of other teams have better GMs.
Fletch has not nailed us a coach yet, unless Yeo turns this around. Yeo was a reasonable risk at the time however.

All I know is that none of us can deny the crap, and I mean crap Fletch took over when he came here. Now look at the prospects andteam we have. The prospects are also starting to look pretty good.

Fletch has also made a number of good trades, not all, but many. Again, to get us the most talented team we have ever had.

I can't think of really any other gm out there that has improved their organization nearly as much as Fletch. We just need all the parts to start firing, but he has provided us the bones that we need. The rest really is on everyone else.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Dudicles

Constant change is not the recipe for success at any level--sports or business. I'm thankful our GM and owner are not as knee-jerk as many of the posters on this forum. Holy Bejeesus...

Old
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Fletch has not nailed us a coach yet, unless Yeo turns this around. Yeo was a reasonable risk at the time however.

All I know is that none of us can deny the crap, and I mean crap Fletch took over when he came here. Now look at the prospects andteam we have. The prospects are also starting to look pretty good.

Fletch has also made a number of good trades, not all, but many. Again, to get us the most talented team we have ever had.

I can't think of really any other gm out there that has improved their organization nearly as much as Fletch. We just need all the parts to start firing, but he has provided us the bones that we need. The rest really is on everyone else.
I've given him a lot of leeway because of the situation he walked into, but eventually there needs to be results. At this point in time, I don't see how he can be anywhere near the top of any "Top GMs" list.

He can definitely start shooting up the list if the team starts showing it on the ice, however.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like what Fletch has done in terms of assembling the team for the most part. He took a bottom five prospect pool and made it top five in four drafts without a top five pick. He brought in two of the top UFA's of the last several years. He has swung and missed a couple times for sure. The Wild had no expectations until this year. Hard to say Fletcher has failed to live up to them.

I still think the sample size is too small to pass full judgment on Yeo.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

What Jarick said. I think most pro pundits would agree, too, as I've already seen it a few times (generally speaking--on how this season shouldn't but probably will see the demise of some coaches) The lockout and the aftermath really throws a wrench into everything. I think we have the highest roster turnover, as well, and that doesn't help anything.
who do you expect to play better between Suter and Weber? Weber, I think, because he's in the same basic surroundings as he was last year. Likewise one team vs another...You'd expect a team who's retained most of their roster to get on track sooner than one who hasn't because they have that one thing going for them.

But there's no one to cry about, so it's not a popular opinion.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:37 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Constant change is not the recipe for success at any level--sports or business. I'm thankful our GM and owner are not as knee-jerk as many of the posters on this forum. Holy Bejeesus...

Umm Richards was fired after 2 years with not the most talented roster. Whether or not that is a knee jerk response is arguable but the fact is it proves the owner is not a patient man. I think if we see the same pattern over the next 2 home games I wouldnt be surprised at all if a move was made since there are 4 days between the next game after Sundays Detroit game

Old
02-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Umm Richards was fired after 2 years with not the most talented roster. Whether or not that is a knee jerk response is arguable but the fact is it proves the owner is not a patient man. I think if we see the same pattern over the next 2 home games I wouldnt be surprised at all if a move was made since there are 4 days between the next game after Sundays Detroit game
Yeo hasn't had two years. In fact, he hasn't even had 15 games with an overhauled roster that had no training camp.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

for all we know (and judging by the pressers he gave) Richards could have just had no plan at all on how to fix things when asked by Fletcher, whereas Yeo probably has answers ready. Not saying the "right" answer but he probably has a "First we'll try this, then we'll try this, then we'll try this" where Richards might say "i'll have to look at the tape and get back to you."

Old
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Yeo hasn't had two years. In fact, he hasn't even had 15 games with an overhauled roster that had no training camp.
With the roster they have even with no training camp they should be scoring at a better rate of 1 goal per game!

Old
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Granlund 64

Quote:
With the roster they have even with no training camp they should be scoring at a better rate of 1 goal per game!
They are... 1.9

Old
02-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
If the players are good enough to score by just being on the ice, why even have a coach?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:48 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Ugh. How to explain chemistry to people? Like many users, I've played hockey. It can be quite surprising what 1 new person on a line can do as far as "disrupting" chemistry. The lines looked good last night in the 3rd period I would keep them together for a few games.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeo vs Torchetti with the Aeros...

2010-11 Houston Aeros
G/G = 3.00, 10th
GA/G = 2.65, 8th
3rd in conference
Won first round, 4-0
Won second round, 4-3
Won third round, 4-3
Lost finals, 2-4

2011-12 Houston Aeros
G/G = 2.66, 22nd
GA/G = 2.71, 8th
8th in conference
Lost in first round, 1-4

2012-13 Houston Aeros
G/G = 2.70, 17th
GA/G = 2.66, 9th
5th in conference now

Old
02-13-2013, 03:03 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Phil Housley for coach ? Or look to the CHL... Maybe Craig Hartsburg.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:05 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Phil Housley for coach ? Or look to the CHL... Maybe Craig Hartsburg.
If Yeo is fired, it's going to be in favor of a veteran NHL coach. No more of this minor league coaches experiment.

That being said, why don't we actually give Yeo a chance?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
GORGO

IMO this team still doesn't have much talent. Defensively they are below average to Poor..Goaltentending most nights, Decent..They still have several Underachiving forwards. And yes IMO Suter and Koivu are Overated... How long can you continue to make exuses that "We had no trainng camp".. "We've had lot's of personel changes" etc. Boo hoo...Every team has had the same issues... If you think about it Yeo lost this team over a year ago already.. They haven't won since before Christmas 2011.. I don't think there coming back. They don't llook to be improving but Regressing.. IMO Yeo need's to go and they need to quit hiring these young guys that don't know what there doing..

Closed Thread