The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
IMO this team still doesn't have much talent. Defensively they are below average to Poor..Goaltentending most nights, Decent..They still have several Underachiving forwards. And yes IMO Suter and Koivu are Overated... How long can you continue to make exuses that "We had no trainng camp".. "We've had lot's of personel changes" etc. Boo hoo...Every team has had the same issues... If you think about it Yeo lost this team over a year ago already.. They haven't won since before Christmas 2011.. I don't think there coming back. They don't llook to be improving but Regressing.. IMO Yeo need's to go and they need to quit hiring these young guys that don't know what there doing..
If I'm not mistaken they just won 2 days ago. I mean, I don't have the best memory but I seem to recall that pretty vividly. And no, not every team has/had the same issues as the Wild going into this new year.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
GORGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
If I'm not mistaken they just won 2 days ago. I mean, I don't have the best memory but I seem to recall that pretty vividly. And no, not every team has/had the same issues as the Wild going into this new year.
...Really?... I didn't mean it literally..I meant consistently... Like in,...The team isn't/hasn't responded to Coach Yeo in a very long time.. Like in over a year.. Makin' sense?..Are you reading my mail?
As far as every team not having the same issues.. ..I'm pretty sure the whole league went on strike..Ya know, I better get back to you on that one if ya don't mind...I'd hate to stick my foot in my mouth before I have all the facts.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
...Really?... I didn't mean it literally..I meant consistently... Like in,...The team isn't/hasn't responded to Coach Yeo in a very long time.. Like in over a year.. Makin' sense?..Are you reading my mail?
As far as every team not having the same issues.. ..I'm pretty sure the whole league went on strike..Ya know, I better get back to you on that one if ya don't mind...I'd hate to stick my foot in my mouth before I have all the facts.
Good choice. How many team changed 1/2 of their top 6? And 1/2 of their top 2 pairs? Id venture to say none. Thats how they are different.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Sportserie

Look at New Jersey.... why do you guys think they are starting off so strongly? They do have continuity, they are playing off of the chemistry and system they so perfectly execute, the same system they almost won the Stanley Cup with last year. Compare the Devils to the Rangers right now who arguably have some of the best talent out there but it's taking them a while to gel and get it together. The Devils are taking advantage of that continuity from last year.

The Wild are in the same boat as the Rangers, even worse. We do have to get chemistry going, we have to gel and this is actually not on Yeo. We will improve, I have no doubt. That said, I still think Yeo is part of the problem overall. Enough to get fired over eventually? I am not sure.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
GORGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Good choice. How many team changed 1/2 of their top 6? And 1/2 of their top 2 pairs? Id venture to say none. Thats how they are different.
19 of the 30 teams had at least a 30% turnover from the 2011-2012 season..Better than 1/2....100% of the teams participated in The Lockout....Enough with the excuses Yeosy... The Honeymoon's over. S... Or get off the pot..

Old
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Granlund 64

Because starting 6-6-1 = sky is falling.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
but daddy, i want to win NOW

Old
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
kfan22

but daddy,[B] i want to win NOW

No excuses not to win now!! Even the Wild said this is the year to take the next step, we heard all summer how deep this team is now!!

Old
02-13-2013, 07:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
but daddy,[B] i want to win NOW

No excuses not to win now!! Even the Wild said this is the year to take the next step, we heard all summer how deep this team is now!!
next step is playoffs. we're not exactly out of contention.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
next step is playoffs. we're not exactly out of contention.
True, but if they continue to score 1-2 goals a game they will be out of it pretty quick!

Old
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
True, but if they continue to score 1-2 goals a game they will be out of it pretty quick!
I just dont see that trend continuing. Their shooting percentage is HALF of the leagues average percent. As Ive said before Id bet my next paycheck that we will see a breakout game very soon, if I didnt need the money. Im targeting out game tomorrow as a game we get 2+ ES goals.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

so what you're saying is, our lack of offense is unsustainable?

Old
02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The second analysis of how the Wild's defense breaks down and allows a goal

Here's the first one

Both of them are breakdowns in coverage, potentially due to the defensive system being more of a zone than man coverage?

Ugh.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Phant03

If players miss an assignment, you'd be hard pressed to blame it on the system when it's obviously on the player.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

True, but if it repeatedly happens, maybe the coach should clean up the system.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Phant03

Some practices would be the cure for that. By the way I hate how people are tossing "system" around lately

Old
02-14-2013, 11:47 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Per our community's conventions and traditions, can I formally request that this thread's title be changed to "The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad"?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:29 PM
OpRedDawn*

Well, it does seem like the Wild collapse WAAYYY harder than any other team. That makes it pretty dang easy for teams to cycle on us, which just tires us out

Old
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Not happy about today's moves. Not at all. Sending Coyle down, putting the Koivu/Parise/Heatley line back together, putting Bouchard on the third line...

In the words of Einstein, "Insanity [is] doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Old
02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not happy about today's moves. Not at all. Sending Coyle down, putting the Koivu/Parise/Heatley line back together, putting Bouchard on the third line...

In the words of Einstein, "Insanity [is] doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
The first few games Koivu/Parise/Heatley was a pretty good line, so it's not like it hasn't worked before.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Nsjohnson

Here's my take: It's probably controversial.

I believe Koivu is really a better #2 center. He's not skilled enough offensively or creatively to be a #1. I love the guy and his work, so don't mistake that. Not a hater on him at all.

I believe Parise is the only top line forward we have. Granlund may develop into one.

I believe we have two shooters on this team, Seto and Heatley. The former doesn't play with a good enough center or winger to be effective, and Heatley same thing- but also isn't fast enough to warrant #1 line action.

I believe our PP sucks, as does 5v5 (goal scoring) because of a lack of a good mix of very creative NHL level players (insert a more experienced Granlund here) with NHL level shooters- this is complicated by our lack of offensive d'men.

I believe our team has a very good core of jack of all trade players and two way players.

This all mixes in a complicated way to equal low shooting, and scoring team (the shooting has gotten a little better, not much- it's mostly perimeter) that gets pinned in it's own end because our transition game is not fast or creative- no sustained pressure. That means there isn't pressure on the other team to create turn overs, wear them out, cause confusion, dynamic matchups.

I know that it's not quite all black and white, but I have observed all this.

We need a Marleau/Gabby. ---> (Zucker?- Probably not)

We need a Boyle/Phaneuf. ----> (Dumba? Possibly)

Need a #1 center, but this is very hard when you pay Koivu what he's getting, and have other large contracts. Koivu may just have to play #1 for the next five years, and have just one hell of a supporting cast on the first two lines and have a third line that can score too. We have the prospects and current players to make that happen.

Thoughts? There are always logic issues when assessing things like this, so please point them out.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Per our community's conventions and traditions, can I formally request that this thread's title be changed to "The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad"?
Agreed.

For those who don't get it: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=827185

Old
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
nickschultzfan

Sure, I would like a Crosby or Spezza or Kopitar in front of Koivu on the center depth chart. But ain't gonna happen. NHL teams aren't built like NHL 13 teams. Koivu is a top-30 center, so he's going to be our #1 until one of our prospects passes him.

I think our main problem is a lack of high-end wingers. Centers will be fine if Granlund keeps improving. The blueline is also fine as Brodin, Falk, and Scandella improve and step into bigger rolls. Our issue is that we don't have blazers to push back the defense or snipers to put the puck in the back of the net from all points in the offensive zone.

Parise is elite, but he's more of a short-range scorer.
Heatley has completely fallen off.
Setoguchi is never going to be that kind of player so get over it.
Bouchard is done.
Cullen is a top-9 player on bad team.
Clutterbuck has already peaked.
Coyle not suited for that role.

So, yeah. It's kind of looking like Zucker is our only hope.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Gaps

You can be a playoff team (and even a cup contender) without an elite 1st line C. But that requires a strong supporting cast, meaning a generally deep team. Right now the Wild is not that kind of a team, but it can be in the future, and I'm not talking in 10 years, but way sooner than that.

Frankly, I don't believe MiG will ever be a legit 1st line C and no, I don't think he's going to become a better center than Mikko. There's nobody in the prospect pool that's projected to be better than he is. I love Granlund to pieces, but I've never seen that kind of potential in him. He can become a good #2 C, or a very good 1st line winger, whichever you'd prefer. That's why drafting a potential 1st line center would be ideal if we tank this season.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:11 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
Here's my take: It's probably controversial.

I believe Koivu is really a better #2 center. He's not skilled enough offensively or creatively to be a #1. I love the guy and his work, so don't mistake that. Not a hater on him at all.

I believe Parise is the only top line forward we have. Granlund may develop into one.

I believe we have two shooters on this team, Seto and Heatley. The former doesn't play with a good enough center or winger to be effective, and Heatley same thing- but also isn't fast enough to warrant #1 line action.

I believe our PP sucks, as does 5v5 (goal scoring) because of a lack of a good mix of very creative NHL level players (insert a more experienced Granlund here) with NHL level shooters- this is complicated by our lack of offensive d'men.

I believe our team has a very good core of jack of all trade players and two way players.

This all mixes in a complicated way to equal low shooting, and scoring team (the shooting has gotten a little better, not much- it's mostly perimeter) that gets pinned in it's own end because our transition game is not fast or creative- no sustained pressure. That means there isn't pressure on the other team to create turn overs, wear them out, cause confusion, dynamic matchups.

I know that it's not quite all black and white, but I have observed all this.

We need a Marleau/Gabby. ---> (Zucker?- Probably not)

We need a Boyle/Phaneuf. ----> (Dumba? Possibly)

Need a #1 center, but this is very hard when you pay Koivu what he's getting, and have other large contracts. Koivu may just have to play #1 for the next five years, and have just one hell of a supporting cast on the first two lines and have a third line that can score too. We have the prospects and current players to make that happen.

Thoughts? There are always logic issues when assessing things like this, so please point them out.
1 goal in 8 games? Are you really sure Parise should be on the first line? Based upon what I have seen of him lately, he's not living up to his reputation. As Suter gets better, Parise gets worse.

Closed Thread