The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Sportsfan1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
When it means splitting up what has been by far and away your most successful pairing? Sorry... I'm not THAT fond of "handedness" to make that change!
Well we need ALL 3 pairs to be solid and right now we don't. I understand his reasoning behind this move is all I'm saying, and if Suter and Spurgeon struggle their first game or two together it's something that can easily be switched back and might in game anyway.

BTW, i'm firmly in the i'm fine with Mike Yeo camp, unfair to judge him this truncated a season with only a year in a half to go off of. He's got at least through the start of next year in my book.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRanger View Post
Maybe Yeo can see that neither Prosser nor Falk can make a breakout pass to save their life. He is pairing Brodin with whichever one plays that night so that a breakout pass can be made. Its too bad because Brodin shouldn't have to be stuck in that spot but we need to be able to play 3 d pairings.
Need to equal it out. But if Suter's play drops again because Spurgeon can't hold his own...I'm gonna be pissed tomorrow

Old
02-16-2013, 11:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Personally, if we fire Yeo, we would need to raze the roster as well. Keep Parise and Suter (only due to their contracts) but get rid of the rest of the players. All of them, especially any of the players that have been played for more than 5+ years on this team. How is it that players can adapt to a new coach (San Jose, St. Louis, New Jersey, Detroit, Anaheim) but we cannot? I mean is our team that bad that we can only have Lemaire coach it? It's not a failure on Fletcher. He's been building and rebuilding the roster. He's tried the coaching change. When is it on the players? When can we say, it's not the system but the players executing the system that is the problem?

Old
02-17-2013, 01:51 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Personally, if we fire Yeo, we would need to raze the roster as well. Keep Parise and Suter (only due to their contracts) but get rid of the rest of the players. All of them, especially any of the players that have been played for more than 5+ years on this team. How is it that players can adapt to a new coach (San Jose, St. Louis, New Jersey, Detroit, Anaheim) but we cannot? I mean is our team that bad that we can only have Lemaire coach it? It's not a failure on Fletcher. He's been building and rebuilding the roster. He's tried the coaching change. When is it on the players? When can we say, it's not the system but the players executing the system that is the problem?
There just isn't enough quality on the roster. An uninspiring offence and an Oilers level terrible defense.

Old
02-17-2013, 02:47 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
San Jose is 3-4-3 in their last 10 games.
St.Louis is 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.
New Jersey is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games.
Detroit is 5-3-2 in their last 10 games.

Anaheim is the only team you listed that is playing out of the Wild's ballpark at 8-1-1.

The Wild are 4-4-2. Better than San Jose and within 2-3 points during that period of the rest except for the Ducks.

The Wild aren't doing bad for having been rather mediocre, with rather mediocre goaltending behind them. If they actually get this figured out... watch out!

Old
02-17-2013, 02:57 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
San Jose is 3-4-3 in their last 10 games.
St.Louis is 5-4-1 in their last 10 games.
New Jersey is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games.
Detroit is 5-3-2 in their last 10 games.

Anaheim is the only team you listed that is playing out of the Wild's ballpark at 8-1-1.

The Wild are 4-4-2. Better than San Jose and within 2-3 points during that period of the rest except for the Ducks.

The Wild aren't doing bad for having been rather mediocre, with rather mediocre goaltending behind them. If they actually get this figured out... watch out!
San Jose has been to the playoffs though
St. Louis has been to the playoffs (after a coaching change)
New Jersey has been to the playoffs
Detroit has been to the playoffs.

Anaheim has seen a better return.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:07 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
San Jose has been to the playoffs though
St. Louis has been to the playoffs (after a coaching change)
New Jersey has been to the playoffs
Detroit has been to the playoffs.

Anaheim has seen a better return.
...and the Wild are building a young core that needs to take shape first. Give them a CHANCE to make the playoffs! I still think they make the playoffs this season.

Parise has come in and is doing great. If this was an 82 game season, he'd be on pace for 41 goals!

Old
02-17-2013, 03:29 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
We don't need another freaking rebuild. Let's back away from the cliff a bit. It's not pretty right now, but we don't need to blow it up by ANY means.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:47 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The only players we need to be looking at moving are the ones on their way out anyway past this season.

Bouchard, Cullen, Backstrom and Clutterbuck.

Maybe a potential compliance buyout of Heatley.

Setoguchi could be trade bait, but that talk has quieted as his play has ticked up a bit. May be worth holding onto unless the "right" deal comes along.

BTW - can you believe we're FINALLY coming up on the last waste of a cap hit from Parrish next season?!?! Damn that was a painful buyout!

Old
02-17-2013, 04:04 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
I was looking forward to Backstrom's contract being off the books, but with Harding (unfortunately) being a big question mark, we may have to re-think letting Backs go.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:20 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Backstrom is lucky if he's even an avg goaltender this year. We can find a mediocre goalie as a UFA if need be and not have to spend too much. There is a surplus of avg goalies in the NHL.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:15 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Backstrom is lucky if he's even an avg goaltender this year. We can find a mediocre goalie as a UFA if need be and not have to spend too much. There is a surplus of avg goalies in the NHL.
Who knows if he was anything other than average since being with the Wild. JL's defensive system may have masked his true capabilities. Obviously due to age he would definitely be better than today. I know they like to say how wonderful he is on TV, but he is so painfully slow side-to-side, and once down on the ice, I cringe because its like a goal is just waiting to happen. When Greenlay was going-on and on about how good he has been on shootouts, before the last one, I shouted at the TV ****! I almost felt it was like telling a pitcher he has a perfect game before he starts the ninth.

BTW, there have been some Tweets in recent weeks about the absence of the "five-hole." Sometimes I think Backstrom has made it his mission to keep the five-hole alive and well.

The good thing is if Harding is on I/R for an extended period, the Aeros goalies will get some experience with the big club.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:17 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I hope Fletch is watching and making mental notes of this crap. He can go to Leopold and say "He didn't seem bipolar when I hired him..."
it was all clear when he benched MiG after playing great game on 4th line. only signal he gets to his team is chaotic randomness, and totally lack of logical sense.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:03 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Who knows if he was anything other than average since being with the Wild. JL's defensive system may have masked his true capabilities. Obviously due to age he would definitely be better than today. I know they like to say how wonderful he is on TV, but he is so painfully slow side-to-side, and once down on the ice, I cringe because its like a goal is just waiting to happen. When Greenlay was going-on and on about how good he has been on shootouts, before the last one, I shouted at the TV ****! I almost felt it was like telling a pitcher he has a perfect game before he starts the ninth.

BTW, there have been some Tweets in recent weeks about the absence of the "five-hole." Sometimes I think Backstrom has made it his mission to keep the five-hole alive and well.

The good thing is if Harding is on I/R for an extended period, the Aeros goalies will get some experience with the big club.
Well, if you had been around before, you'd be well versed on my not being a Backstrom fan since getting his ridiculously stupid contract from Risebrough.

I've always said he was average at best, now he's clearly taken a step backwards and would be lucky to even be average now. Either way...his time is up.

No more seasons after this, watching rebounds fly right out of his glove, his slow movement laterally, leading to his desperation flops then taking forever and a day to get himself back into the play.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
hokijanari

Byebye Yeo. Oh my god that ****ing line lottery....

Old
02-17-2013, 12:33 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
No. What?!

Why would we raze the roster?! Most of our roster now is young and developing(with strong potential), or in their prime. Outside of Heatley, who really is declining at a sad rate, and poor Butch, our roster is fine, no, good. Geesus, it will get there.

What are we Calgary? Raze the roster...

Old
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Emilie

Is it a requirement that all newbies have to post ridiculous things? Some sort of hazing ritual? I'm not sure I can hold onto my membership in that case...

Anyone who thinks that Torchetti would be an improvement over Yeo needs to send me whatever they're smoking. If you have a problem with how Yeo is coaching, Torchetti is not your guy. Even before the lockout ended the Aeros were having just as much trouble as the Wild are having now. Yes, Zucker is first in scoring for rookies, and 16th overall in scoring. But the Aeros had probably the 2nd most stacked team behind the oilers farm team, and at no point have they even lead their conference this season. They are currently 5th in the 2nd conference (good), and 9th overall. But they lost to the WORST team in the AHL last night. With 3 guys who have enough nhl experience that they had to clear waivers to even play for Houston. Plus, adding a coaching change during the season is only going to add more confusion/chaos/irritated players to the Wild roster.

Tl;dr version- the aeros are finally sort of making their way out of the same slump the Wild are currently in. Torchetti instead of Yeo fix the issues, and most likely would cause more chaos in the locker room.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
There just isn't enough quality on the roster. An uninspiring offence and an Oilers level terrible defense.
Our d is much better than the Oil, and we have good quality in our forwards.

Coughtrollpostcough...

Old
02-17-2013, 12:46 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Well, if you had been around before, you'd be well versed on my not being a Backstrom fan since getting his ridiculously stupid contract from Risebrough.

I've always said he was average at best, now he's clearly taken a step backwards and would be lucky to even be average now. Either way...his time is up.

No more seasons after this, watching rebounds fly right out of his glove, his slow movement laterally, leading to his desperation flops then taking forever and a day to get himself back into the play.
I've never been a Backs hater. He has, for the most part, been a serviceable goalie, who will have an amazing game now and then. His contract...geesus I remember when that was given to him, man, that was just, stupidly crazy, but whatever.

He is getting slower these days, and his rebound control is just wretched. I'm sweeating now watching these games whenever there is an opposing forward even close to him after a stop.

This might be cold, but after this year we need to dump Backs and Harding if we can, pick up the best veteran goalie we can for the best price, and get those kids of ours some time up here.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Eagle Claw

Yeo is still a raw talent as an coach
he's bench coaching is below average
the lackluster 1 periods makes you disgusted because even if he identifies the attitude problem he does nothing about it for the entire period.
There is no time outs no real anger nothing he just stands there and looks sour while wild get a couple off goals deficit
Yeo has the right to be a "bad dude" he is not tough enough when it counts
He might angry the next day or afterwards but what does it help when you already lost ???
I might be totally lost but i think he wants to be more of a friendly person than the hard demanding coach he should be and this softness rubs off on the team performance on the ice

He goes on and on about we have to find a way ,it's coach job to find a way and implement a system that creates goal scoring opportunities and smart play in BOTH ends off the ice so far he's not particular capable about creating smart play in the neutral zone were wild biggest problems are
Getting in the offensive zone is far too difficult and wild finally gets there they are pushed easy away from the goal scoring areas or shots are blocked

Im far from certain that yeo is brave smart and experienced/skilled enough to get wild playing well with the injection off new blood coming in from aeros

The jury is out being a "good guy" means nothing if the product on the ice dont get better

Yeo has a team that should get to playoffs if he cant get there this season
Then it's time to find a new coach

Old
02-17-2013, 12:53 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:

STH since the beginning. Never been a big fan. For that matter, Harding either.

Old
02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Never was keen on Harding. But Backstrom was a shining light in comparison to how Manny was playing

Old
02-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
No one cares. You have money. Congrats. Doesn't mean you know a thing about hockey. And given most of your posts on here, you really don't.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
hokijanari

The thing that annoys me the most with Yeo is the line lottery and the fact that there's no logic to it. Granlund is just one example, but IMO his treatment demonstrates the lack of idea with Yeo.

MG starts as a center, which shouldn't have been done in the first place.
He doesn't play as well as he should be ---> gets moved to a 4th line winger (was the right thing to do btw)
Plays one of his best games as a winger ---> next game gets scratched.
Comes back to play center and plays again very well.
Next thing Yeo does is move him back to play wing.

I just don't understand the logic Yeo has with these solutions. Do you? The things Yeo tries with Granlund are good things to try but the thing is that the moves come at the wrong time. It sends the players a message that the coach doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:09 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
The thing that annoys me the most with Yeo is the line lottery and the fact that there's no logic to it. Granlund is just one example, but IMO his treatment demonstrates the lack of idea with Yeo.

MG starts as a center, which shouldn't have been done in the first place.
He doesn't play as well as he should be ---> gets moved to a 4th line winger (was the right thing to do btw)
Plays one of his best games as a winger ---> next game gets scratched.
Comes back to play center and plays again very well.
Next thing Yeo does is move him back to play wing.

I just don't understand the logic Yeo has with these solutions. Do you? The things Yeo tries with Granlund are good things to try but the thing is that the moves come at the wrong time. That sends the players a message that the coach doesn't have any idea what he's doing.
MG is getting the short end when other holes need to be filled. I would still be curious to see how he'd play with Koivu and Parise. I mean he's played with basically everyone else but them

Closed Thread