Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I'd agree with you but can't do much from Finland to support the Wild. And I don't think that being a homer on an internet message board does much to help them on the ice. Hell, I've been here for almost 2 year now...
Yea I know. I don't have any illusions. Still the fact is that all the negativity on message boards and blogs, in tweets and articles is spreading all over. People talking about cleaning up the office now. At this point! The team is not isolated from today's media world. In fact it's in the center of it all. And everything has an impact. Big or small or next to nothing but it really does.

I don't want any that impact to be negative, no matter how small the chance or how ridiculous it may sound.

So I say we go all in. LET'S GO WILD!

Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

vCash: 50
The names that we have on this team, I really see this team as a playoff team. IF we miss the playoffs, then Yeo should go. I'm not saying he will, but he should.

What pisses me off the most is the fact that some of our key players have disappeared. For example,
Mikko Koivu, 1+1, -5 in the last 11 games.
Devin Setoguchi, 1+4, -5 in the last 16 games.
Kyle Brodziak, 2+1, -5 in the last 14 games.

Your key players can't melt this badly at the most important time of the season. Don't know if it's Yeo's system, the players or what. But damn.

Last edited by Lapa: 04-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
I swear to god, if people (not YOU in specific, but fans as a whole) would do some research, they'd save themselves from looking silly.

Upper management and the owners group have said at least a million (give or take a few) times that they did not ever expect the Wild to be contenders this season. They are building this team to be competitive for years to come.

Yeo is not getting fired at the end of this season. Not when you look at all the things working against the team in general (like a shortened season, no training camp, etc), and add in the things coming directly from the people who make these decisions, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

The guys in the locker room are 100% behind Yeo. Even if management was somewhat unhappy (which again, they aren't), they aren't going to risk completely losing the team by firing the guy who has the backing of the players.
I appreciate your comment, but I'll respond in saying AGAIN, Yeo must be on shaky ground. Shaky ground is not saying he must be fired, will get fired, it simply means I'm sure they aren't overly thrilled by how the second half of the last two seasons have gone under Yeo's tenure. Especially THIS season. Last year the wheels literally came off, but the huge rash of injuries just couldn't be over come. So Yeo got off on that one. Now a year later the wheels have pretty much come off again, but this time it's pretty much all on Yeo. Sure Heatley and Cullen got hurt, but Cullen is already back, albeit on a leg and a half. Seto dropped off the face of the earth...again. PMB hasn't done squat all season until recently. Brodziak and Clutter have both just disappeared. The Yeo dump and chase, and try and toss out a centering pass just isn't producing. Our Defense is horrible, even worse than we expected, and we didn't expect much. I can continue, but really is it necessary? Somebody needs to answer for all this, and it's always the head coach. He is the one who is supposed to get the most of his players. Seriously can anybody say coach Yeo is doing that right now?

I appreciate your trying to stay positive, but there comes a time when you just have to start opening your eyes to what's really happening here. I'm an old Northstars fan from waaaay back, been a Wild fan since day one. Over the years, I've watched most all the games played. (yes I've missed some, but not many) Obviously I'm a big hockey nut, and Wild fan. But this yearly tailspin I keep seeing happen really needs to be looked at a bit closer. I would have been happy if the Wild could have at least played .500 hockey down this stretch as they try and make it into the playoffs, but this? No I'll stand my ground on saying Yeo is, and must be on shaky ground with ownership. Don't mean he will be fired.... yet. But I assure you patience will only continue going so far.

Teams always say they are building for the future, but you're nuts to think they don't want to win right now also. They usually don't say that though when being interviewed by media to help not cause controversy in the future if things don't go very well.

Last edited by Blakkmantis: 04-23-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I appreciate your comment, but I'll respond in saying AGAIN, Yeo must be on shaky ground. Shaky ground is not saying he must be fired, will get fired, it simply means I'm sure they aren't overly thrilled by how the second half of the last two seasons have gone under Yeo's tenure. Especially THIS season. Last year the wheels literally came off, but the huge rash of injuries just couldn't be over come. So Yeo got off on that one. Now a year later the wheels have pretty much come off again, but this time it's pretty much all on Yeo. Sure Heatley and Cullen got hurt, but Cullen is already back, albeit on a leg and a half. Seto dropped off the face of the earth...again. PMB hasn't done squat all season until recently. Brodziak and Clutter have both just disappeared. The Yeo dump and chase, and try and toss out a centering pass just isn't producing. Our Defense is horrible, even worse than we expected, and we didn't expect much. I can continue, but really is it necessary? Somebody needs to answer for all this, and it's always the head coach. He is the one who is supposed to get the most of his players. Seriously can anybody say coach Yeo is doing that right now?

I appreciate your trying to stay positive, but there comes a time when you just have to start opening your eyes to what's really happening here. I'm an old Northstars fan from waaaay back, been a Wild fan since day one. Over the years, I've watched most all the games played. (yes I've missed some, but not many) Obviously I'm a big hockey nut, and Wild fan. But this yearly tailspin I keep seeing happen really needs to be looked at a bit closer. I would have been happy if the Wild could have at least played .500 hockey down this stretch as they try and make it into the playoffs, but this? No I'll stand my ground on saying Yeo is, and must be on shaky ground with ownership. Don't mean he will be fired.... yet. But I assure you patience will only continue going so far.

Teams always say they are building for the future, but you're nuts to think they don't want to win right now also. They usually don't say that though when being interviewed by media to help not cause controversy in the future if things don't go very well.
Our eyes are open. At this point, we are choosing to see and drive the positive thoughts across right now, since negativity is out in full force.

I believe it was said that Yeo will not be let go and has the support of management and the players. They want someone long term who can guide this team to consistently winning, and Yeo is that guy. We have seen this team play with the best in the league, and we have seen them play like the worst in the league. Is it frustrating, yes. But the fact remains, is that the team is STILL HOLDING ON TO A PLAYOFF SPOT, and STILL CONTROLS THEIR OWN DESTINY.

Lets raise the alarm when the season ends, and the Wild are on the outside looking in. Until then, lets get behind the team.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post
Our eyes are open. At this point, we are choosing to see and drive the positive thoughts across right now, since negativity is out in full force.

I believe it was said that Yeo will not be let go and has the support of management and the players. They want someone long term who can guide this team to consistently winning, and Yeo is that guy. We have seen this team play with the best in the league, and we have seen them play like the worst in the league. Is it frustrating, yes. But the fact remains, is that the team is STILL HOLDING ON TO A PLAYOFF SPOT, and STILL CONTROLS THEIR OWN DESTINY.

Lets raise the alarm when the season ends, and the Wild are on the outside looking in. Until then, lets get behind the team.
And nobody is going to get in your way of doing that. You'll find some who agree with you, and some who won't.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to change their opinion, just voicing mine. And giving the facts as I see them.

Last edited by Blakkmantis: 04-23-2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't think you can just look at the standings in a vacuum when considering how well or bad a coach has done.

Old
04-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not 100% but I believe the new CBA mandates a certain number of days off. So it may have been required to have an optional skate and enough guys showed up that they ended up practicing.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Not 100% but I believe the new CBA wmandates a certain number of days off. So it may have been required to have an optional skate and enough guys showed up that they ended up practicing.
4 days a month mandatory off

Old
04-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post

Sometimes we just need to let the frustration out. Ok, some people go over the top, but still. With all the other crap going on in my daily life, I'm gonna blow off some steam on a message board when the team sucks. And lets face it, they suck right now. But it doesn't mean when the game is on we aren't there cheering with everyone else. Well, I guess I can't speak for everyone...but I'll assume.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Sometimes we just need to let the frustration out. Ok, some people go over the top, but still. With all the other crap going on in my daily life, I'm gonna blow off some steam on a message board when the team sucks. And lets face it, they suck right now. But it doesn't mean when the game is on we aren't there cheering with everyone else. Well, I guess I can't speak for everyone...but I'll assume.
Ive been an avid fan for over 40 years, I've earned my right to B**ch after so many dreadful Minnesota sports teams seasons we have had here. But I watch every game. Youth has the luxury of always wanting to be positive because there is always next year, but when you get old and crusty like me, we ain't got too many next years left. We want to win now, or at very least soon darn it!

Old
04-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Phant03

vCash: 1125
Except if they keep firing coaches every 2 years they aren't going to win anything. This is my perspective from 40+ years of watching sports.

This organization is progressing. It is ugly at times however, you can see where they are heading. When is the last time the last games of the season even mattered?

Go back and look at the last bunch of Cup winners. They all went through the "learning to win" process. The Wild are going through that now. I get frustrated when they lose but you can clearly see them trying to get better.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They're playing games that matter incredibly poorly. That should have been an easy win. Something's not right, and it hasn't been for a month.

The talent that they have and the run they went on they should have at least been a .500 team without Cullen. But they're not.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
BigT2002

This organization understands the disdain we have for the "next year is our year" considering we hear it from 3 other pro organizations. I don't think you'd hear it out of their mouths. And I don't think Leipold drops the cheddar he has on the players he got to finish in 9th place every year.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I've been done with this coach for a while and as for anyone else; I don't know how you couldn't feel the same after watching his performance post-deadline.

Quite frankly, his two biggest weaknesses as a coach are two of his inherently fundamental tasks, zone starts/match-ups and setting his line-up. You can't make it as a coach if you're setting up your team for failure before play is started.

Even with the team turnover, short training camp; it shouldn't take a team half the year to find lines that work. Only to be STILL tweaking them in the last days of the season. UNACCEPTABLE.

His GM went out and made what would be a huge splash for any team. He's got that player playing on the 3rd line with two players who have played as bad as any over the course of the year. One who most can't remember the last time he had a strong, full season. Seems reasonable.

He's absolutely ran Backstrom into the ground. In a season such as this, there's no reason to be playing a goaltender at Backstrom's age and injury history at the pace he has. Playoff positioning, young other goaltending options or not. At this point, he's now got no choice to continue to go to him.

He's also handled the defensive corps about as poorly as possible. Weak personnel or not. Falk or Prosser have never played as poorly as Clark has; a player who was literally picked up off the street mid-season. Why he's been playing of late makes little to no sense.

As far as systems, it is what it is. Talent or not, you're not going to score at any kind of acceptable rate over the course of a year if your fundamental focus revolves around the 3 forwards working along the boards with minimal movement to the front of the net. All talent and creativity has effectively been squashed for a grinder mentality in the offensive zone. Pretty easy for goaltenders to take and save a high volume of shots that are from in tight, from poor angles in an effort to drive from down low towards the net. Very seldomly do we see, both, a player get to a soft area AND shoot the puck with a purpose. When your offensive approach looks like below in most stages of possession in the offensive zone, you're not going to be productive.

Which comes down to exactly how Yeo is and will be grooming the kids. A big part of this franchise. Put simply, he's not comfortable with them because he's not giving them leeway to be creative. The moment they have a rough shift, they don't see the ice for another 10 minutes. Can't build confidence like that in a vital stage of development in a league the organization ultimately wants to get them at. The goal can't be to fill a line-up top to bottom with players that will do nothing but fill in along the boards and not do what it takes to get to scoring areas. Or to create off a rush.

In short, barring an unforeseen run, I don't know how you go into next season with Yeo at the helm.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Huge +1 to TP's post.

1. Offensive zone scheme is as TP diagrammed, you are clumping all your players together along the boards, defense is not activated at all, nobody on the weak side.

2. Yeo asks the players to dump the puck in order to "set up" the above offense rather than make plays to try and get players into scoring position.

3. Yeo has his forwards playing so deep in the defensive zone that they almost never get odd man rushes, which are much higher percentage scoring plays.

He's basically schemed most of the offense out of this club with very little defensive reward in return.

I don't think anyone can deny that Yeo is probably a great guy and gets his team to want to go to battle for him and they can get behind him as a former grinder etc, but when what he's doing isn't working schematically, won't be much of a stretch to see players tuning out. Like what happened with Zidlicky last year.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
TheeNorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I've been done with this coach for a while and as for anyone else; I don't know how you couldn't feel the same after watching his performance post-deadline.

Quite frankly, his two biggest weaknesses as a coach are two of his inherently fundamental tasks, zone starts/match-ups and setting his line-up. You can't make it as a coach if you're setting up your team for failure before play is started.

Even with the team turnover, short training camp; it shouldn't take a team half the year to find lines that work. Only to be STILL tweaking them in the last days of the season. UNACCEPTABLE.

His GM went out and made what would be a huge splash for any team. He's got that player playing on the 3rd line with two players who have played as bad as any over the course of the year. One who most can't remember the last time he had a strong, full season. Seems reasonable.

He's absolutely ran Backstrom into the ground. In a season such as this, there's no reason to be playing a goaltender at Backstrom's age and injury history at the pace he has. Playoff positioning, young other goaltending options or not. At this point, he's now got no choice to continue to go to him.

He's also handled the defensive corps about as poorly as possible. Weak personnel or not. Falk or Prosser have never played as poorly as Clark has; a player who was literally picked up off the street mid-season. Why he's been playing of late makes little to no sense.

As far as systems, it is what it is. Talent or not, you're not going to score at any kind of acceptable rate over the course of a year if your fundamental focus revolves around the 3 forwards working along the boards with minimal movement to the front of the net. All talent and creativity has effectively been squashed for a grinder mentality in the offensive zone. Pretty easy for goaltenders to take and save a high volume of shots that are from in tight, from poor angles in an effort to drive from down low towards the net. Very seldomly do we see, both, a player get to a soft area AND shoot the puck with a purpose. When your offensive approach looks like below in most stages of possession in the offensive zone, you're not going to be productive.

Which comes down to exactly how Yeo is and will be grooming the kids. A big part of this franchise. Put simply, he's not comfortable with them because he's not giving them leeway to be creative. The moment they have a rough shift, they don't see the ice for another 10 minutes. Can't build confidence like that in a vital stage of development in a league the organization ultimately wants to get them at. The goal can't be to fill a line-up top to bottom with players that will do nothing but fill in along the boards and not do what it takes to get to scoring areas. Or to create off a rush.

In short, barring an unforeseen run, I don't know how you go into next season with Yeo at the helm.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:05 AM
BigT2002

Quote:

You said it perfectly my friend. I was getting pretty livid at the Flames game when all THREE of them were behind the net with no one in front. I don't know how they expected to score anything.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Beegoalie

We can't score so we put Cal...the guy who has 1 goal in his last 28 games on the second line...because we need to be less perimeter?? Hell you put me out there for 28 games and I guarantee I'd tip one in somewhere along the line..heck maybe another one hits me in the arse and I score two. Clutterbuck is BRUTAL.

Yeo is seriously losing my faith fast...

Old
04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
We can't score so we put Cal...the guy who has 1 goal in his last 28 games on the second line...because we need to be less perimeter?? Hell you put me out there for 28 games and I guarantee I'd tip one in somewhere along the line..heck maybe another one hits me in the arse and I score two. Clutterbuck is BRUTAL.

lllllllllllllllloooooooooooooolllllllllllllololol

Yeah, Clutter is fourth line material for sure.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post

If you had actually listened to what Yeo said on the radio this morning you'd know why they put him on th second line.

I'll give you a hint. It's not to score goals.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Double wow. Coach is a joke.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
If you had actually listened to what Yeo said on the radio this morning you'd know why they put him on th second line.

I'll give you a hint. It's not to score goals.
2nd line is for goal scorers only. To hell with line chemistry!

Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Too many assets/talent and poor results.

I ll still give him my early line. Playoffs plus a series win. Anything less he has to go.

One terrible year.
An average year with superstar talent is not good enough to stay.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
forthewild

Quote:

+1 to what you say. Its fine to grind it out and **** but you look at good teams and they always attack the net, even if they don't score they create havoc. it breaks a team down, where as with the Wild all you have to do is Turtle...

Old
04-23-2013, 01:20 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

^ Hell of a good post by TP and Yarick

Closed Thread