HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slap Shot advice

Old
01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
deeman

vCash: 500
Slap Shot advice

I have been frustrated with my slap shot for years. I could take a private lesson, but that makes too much sense.

Anyhow, I am trying to analyze my shot in hopes of figuring why I canít get any lift on my shot. I have decent (not great) power, but all my slap shots are flat on the ice with no lift at all.

So, here is my question. How much wrist action is there when making contact with the ice/puck? I am not inputting much wrist action and keep the blade pretty straight throughout the entire swing. I am hitting about 2-3Ē behind the puck, bending my knees, trying to twist my body when making contact and driving forward with my legs but canít get any lift.

I wonder if I should be snapping my wrists upon contact Ė like I do in a snapshot Ė which I can do fairly well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Ruhnie

Not really much wrist action, at least compared to snappers/wristers, no. Where is the puck in relation to your body when you shoot? It's possible that the puck is too far in front or away from you, that would keep the shots low and wouldn't be very hard.

Take a look at the tips and video over at How To Hockey, might be helpful.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:26 PM
rayau

Like the previous poster noted, take a look at the videos. Great stuff.

The other thing you might want to try is move to a whippier stick. I moved to a stick that I could flex, and was rewarded instantly. For me, it wasn't so much technique (though I could still improve), but the equipment.

rayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
jw2

Since you mentioned you already have a hard, low slapper, I wouldnt try to tweak your motion too much. More people would prefer the low hard shot.

Try moving the puck aroound slightly. Try something like moving the puck closer to your body, or closer to the heal on your stick, or slighty further forward in your stance, move your bottom hand up or down on the shaft... play around a bit like that. It would be much easier to make a slight change than re-do your entire form.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Bengerm77

I find the further my hand is down on the shaft, the more lift I can get on the puck. Last time I took a slap shot in a game I hit the goalie in the head though, I would have much preferred to keep it only a foot off the ground. Again, higher isn't better, it's just higher

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Fire Julien

Filming yourself taking shots can really help. Especially if you slow it down on computer. You'll probably see that you don't get much whip from your stick

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

One thing I find that helps with my slapper as I go through different sticks is to take a couple minutes on the ice leaning on my stick with my bottom hand in different spots to find exactly where the flex point is. From there I make sure to always have my hand right above the optimal flex point which allows me to make full use of the stick.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
rbarker26

There really isn't too much wrist motion in a slapshot. Maybe consider the flex of your stick? I can get pretty good lift on my slapshot, I always focus on hitting the ice hard and before I make contact with the puck.

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Since you mentioned you already have a hard, low slapper, I wouldnt try to tweak your motion too much. More people would prefer the low hard shot.

Try moving the puck aroound slightly. Try something like moving the puck closer to your body, or closer to the heal on your stick, or slighty further forward in your stance, move your bottom hand up or down on the shaft... play around a bit like that. It would be much easier to make a slight change than re-do your entire form.
I seriously need to grow up. A lot.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
GilmourClarkScores

Practice practice practice. I play against 30+ year old men to this day that have been playing hockey all their life who haven't put time into developing their slap shot. When I was young I practiced in the yard shooting pucks off a sheet of plywood against a chain link fence. Worked wonders

GilmourClarkScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post

I assume you prefer a stiff shaft?

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like to think power through the bottom hand. I'm top hand dominant and try to get too much top hand involved on my slappers which makes them suck more. When I grip tight with my bottom hand and drive through, they have more power and a quicker release.

I also flex the muscles in core and arms just before shooting. Like to think that helps me power through the shot.

What stick, flex, and curve are you using?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Just go through the motion with your arms and flex the stick but really practice your footwork and weight transfer.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:55 PM
deeman

Great comments so far, thank you!

I will post the specs on my stick when I get home. I really donít want to practice too much more on my shot since I think I am enforcing bad habits somewhere along the way.

I may record a video of my shot and post here for critique.

deeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Have someone take a video of you shooting and post it here. Hard to give advice without seeing your mechanics.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
roffleburger

I only started playing 2 years ago and I could never figure out how to do a slapshot. I tried and tried and no matter how much someone explained it to me, I couldn't get the puck to lift. Then I was messing around at the ODR one day with a friend, and I decided to try a slap pass for fun, which was the first time I was able to lift the puck. Many slap passes later (focused on keeping my blade angle level/down), I now have a pretty mean (and consistent) clapper.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Greasy Sliders

I've always had a good slap shot using a mid-kick stick (nexus, apx) but I tried a low kick (20k) and my slapshot is significantly worse, not being able to raise it above the knee on most shots. Any tips on how to fix ?

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
rayau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
I've always had a good slap shot using a mid-kick stick (nexus, apx) but I tried a low kick (20k) and my slapshot is significantly worse, not being able to raise it above the knee on most shots. Any tips on how to fix ?
Go back to a mid-kick stick.

rayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
anthonyyy

I had the same problem when I was younger. What I did that really helped, was I turned the stick inwards a bit before I would up. So since I'm a righty, I would rotate the stick slightly counterclockwise in my hand. When you make contact with the puck, the blade will "cup" the puck, and if you follow through towards the target you want (in this case a high target means a higher follow through), you will see improvement. This will also allow your stick to flex more, and your shot will rise. Also, make contact with the puck near the heal of your blade. Let me know if this works for you!

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Rumcajs

I know exactly where you are coming from. Even though i try to slap the ice "behind" the puck it still always never gains flight. Ill be watching this thread closely

Maybe the problem is that we dont "follow through" enough.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
I know exactly where you are coming from. Even though i try to slap the ice "behind" the puck it still always never gains flight. Ill be watching this thread closely

Maybe the problem is that we dont "follow through" enough.
maybe but im of the opinion that with slappers (aside from proper tech.) you just need to dump like 100 pucks out and keep trying...you will get one to life, then go "how the hell did i do that" than chunck one again, then get one to lift and all of the sudden you've got it

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Smif

The follow through is what I attribute my new found good slap shot to. Where ever I want my shot to end up is basically where I point my stick after my follow threw. So basically if there's guys in front of the net and I want to keep it down I keep my follow through down. If I'm letting it rip and trying to put it top corner my follow threw ends up higher.

Sorry if that's confusing. Tough to explain...

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDuck View Post
maybe but im of the opinion that with slappers (aside from proper tech.) you just need to dump like 100 pucks out and keep trying...you will get one to life, then go "how the hell did i do that" than chunck one again, then get one to lift and all of the sudden you've got it
Ya, this is exactly what I did. My team I was playing for needed d-men and I was a forward with no slapper so I practiced and practiced and eventually found myself the go to guy on the PP (probably because the other d-men didn't try to keep it a foot off the ice or lower when teammates were screening in front).

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:22 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Try switching to a heel curve...worked for me. I started using the Lidstrom curve religiously but can't get it anymore. The getzlaf curve is nearly identical.

jmart21 is online now   Reply With Quote