HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers history review

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers history review

Best coach: Lester Patrick (1926-39)

My choice:Mike Keenan (1993-94)

Worst coach: Probably Bryan Trottier (2002-03) one of the finest all-around players in NHL history who just couldn't get the Rangers players to buy what he was selling. (By the way, there is a huge precedent in all professional sports for great former players imploding as managers and coaches.)

My choice:John Muckler (1998-2000)

Best captain: Mark Messier (1991-97, 2000-present)

Agree

Worst captain: Kelly Kisio (1988-91), who just didn't have the bark or the bite to lead a team, on or off the ice.

Agree

Best trade: Getting Mark Messier and Jeff Beukeboom from the Oilers for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk on October 4, 1991.

Agree

Worst trade: I think the trade the Rangers made with the Bruins to acquire Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais for Jean Ratelle, Brad Park and Joe Zanussi on November 7, 1975, hurt the Rangers. After the deal, they turned into a pack of nightlife-loving cads and struggled on the ice, while Ratelle and Park bolstered the Bruins to the point where they were a force to be reckoned with for the next several seasons.

My choice:Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller for Bobby Carpenter

Best first-round draft pick: Brian Leetch (1986)

Agree

Worst first-round draft pick: Michael Stewart (1990)

My choiceavel Brendl

Loves to play: New Jersey (92-53-22-2)

3-0 in playoff series(1991-92/1993-94/1996-97)

Hates to play: Montreal (45-60-15-0)

Bad memories from the 1979 finals and 1986 semi-finals

Ten best players: Rod Gilbert, Brian Leetch, Andy Bathgate, Ed Giacomin, Jean Ratelle, Mark Messier, Harry Howell, Walt Tkachuk, Vic Hadfield, Adam Graves.

NO MIKE RICHTER

NO BRAD PARK

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...y-rewind_x.htm

Old
03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Davisian

Worst coach/Gm/person to ever happen to the New York rangers:

Phil Esposito

Old
03-15-2005, 11:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Worst coach/Gm/person to ever happen to the New York rangers:

Phil Esposito
Hey it's hard work to change from the 3 best defensive team and 2nd worst offensive team in 1985/86 under Ted Sator, to being the 3rd worst defensive and 5th best offensive team in 86-87.

Phil was working hard. Amazing to make that many deals and change the team that drastically yet the regular season records were nearly identical. The playoffs were a whole other story.

Old
03-15-2005, 11:55 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Worst coach: Probably Bryan Trottier (2002-03)
How could he have he been the worst coach when he only coached half a season for a horrible NY squad let alone had the ear piece in his with Sather giving him orders from upstairs, just like he did with Ron Low. And that made both of them look worse then what they really are. John Muckler was a pretty crappy coach. Trottier was never given a true shot .So maybe you should reinstate what you said or think about it atleast

Old
03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
How could he have he been the worst coach when he only coached half a season for a horrible NY squad let alone had the ear piece in his with Sather giving him orders from upstairs, just like he did with Ron Low. And that made both of them look worse then what they really are. John Muckler was a pretty crappy coach. Trottier was never given a true shot .So maybe you should reinstate what you said or think about it atleast
That is what it said in the article. That was not his opinion. Relax.

Old
03-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Fletch

Worst trade was...

Kurri, McSorley and Churla for Lapperriere, Norstrom, Laffayette and Ferraro.

Yeah, doesn't seem as dramatic as Ridley, Park, et al, but I think Norstrom would've been a cornerstone of the Rangers defense, making Leetch better and the goaltending better, which are a couple contributors to a seven season playoff draught. That in and of itself isn't the sole reason, but keeping Norstrom and Lapperriere would've been a huge step in the right direction in building a team, and staying away from names.

I'd sub Park for Tzachuk...not sure with that cast of characters that it isn't inappropriate having Richter off that list.

Old
03-15-2005, 12:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Kurri, McSorley and Churla for Lapperriere, Norstrom, Laffayette and Ferraro.

Yeah, doesn't seem as dramatic as Ridley, Park, et al, but I think Norstrom would've been a cornerstone of the Rangers defense, making Leetch better and the goaltending better, which are a couple contributors to a seven season playoff draught. That in and of itself isn't the sole reason, but keeping Norstrom and Lapperriere would've been a huge step in the right direction in building a team, and staying away from names.

I'd sub Park for Tzachuk...not sure with that cast of characters that it isn't inappropriate having Richter off that list.
Ed Giacomin over Mike Richter

Brad Park was the 1970's Brian Leetch.Park never won the Norris Trophy because of Bobby Orr

Steve Vickers and Ron Greschner could have been on the list

Old
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Worst trade? Easy Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge!

Quote:
Best coach: Lester Patrick (1926-39)

My choice:Mike Keenan (1993-94)

Worst coach: Probably Bryan Trottier (2002-03) one of the finest all-around players in NHL history who just couldn't get the Rangers players to buy what he was selling. (By the way, there is a huge precedent in all professional sports for great former players imploding as managers and coaches.)

My choice:John Muckler (1998-2000)

Best captain: Mark Messier (1991-97, 2000-present)

Agree

Worst captain: Kelly Kisio (1988-91), who just didn't have the bark or the bite to lead a team, on or off the ice.

Agree

Best trade: Getting Mark Messier and Jeff Beukeboom from the Oilers for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk on October 4, 1991.

Agree

Worst trade: I think the trade the Rangers made with the Bruins to acquire Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais for Jean Ratelle, Brad Park and Joe Zanussi on November 7, 1975, hurt the Rangers. After the deal, they turned into a pack of nightlife-loving cads and struggled on the ice, while Ratelle and Park bolstered the Bruins to the point where they were a force to be reckoned with for the next several seasons.

My choice:Mike Ridley and Kelly Miller for Bobby Carpenter

Best first-round draft pick: Brian Leetch (1986)

Agree

Worst first-round draft pick: Michael Stewart (1990)

My choiceavel Brendl

Loves to play: New Jersey (92-53-22-2)

3-0 in playoff series(1991-92/1993-94/1996-97)

Hates to play: Montreal (45-60-15-0)

Bad memories from the 1979 finals and 1986 semi-finals

Ten best players: Rod Gilbert, Brian Leetch, Andy Bathgate, Ed Giacomin, Jean Ratelle, Mark Messier, Harry Howell, Walt Tkachuk, Vic Hadfield, Adam Graves.

NO MIKE RICHTER

NO BRAD PARK

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...y-rewind_x.htm
Worst Coach? Jean-Guy Talbot! Just for wearing sweats behind the bench!

Worst GM? John Ferguson! All talk, soft teams!

Best Goalie? That a toughie, for me its a tie between Mikey & Eddie.

Best Dman? Same, Park & Leetch in a tie.

Old
03-16-2005, 06:56 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
That is what it said in the article. That was not his opinion. Relax.
I am extremely relaxed, the post wasnt made to be offensive and no harm intended, so if anyone took it as aggressive it wasnt. I just read his post and its looking as if he said Trottier is the worst coach, but we all have different opinions.

Old
03-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Pearl Necklace

I'm a little surprised to see Graves on the list over Richter too.

Old
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
oldtimer

Worst Trade

I think the worst Ranger trade of all time has to be Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge. Middleton after leaving us (at age 22) went on to score 400+ goals in a long career with the Bruins, and Ken Hodge was washed up when we got him, and lasted a year before retiring.

The Nordstrom-Kurri trade, and the Ridley-Carpenter trade are tied for second worst. See a pattern here? We give up young to get old. Until March, Sather continued a Ranger tradition.

Old
03-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Chief

Quote:
...(By the way, there is a huge precedent in all professional sports for great former players imploding as managers and coaches.)...
I've heard this statement made before but I'm not sure it withstands scrutiny. Since there's so few trully great former players who went on to be managers or coaches, there's only a small sample to analyze. I think if you'd look at all of the average (or worse) players who also failed as managers or coaches the results would look just as bad.

Closed Thread