HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who's gonna break out this year?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Slangston

vCash: 500
Who's gonna break out this year?

In your opinion, which one of our young guys is most likely to break out this season? My personal belief is that Dmitri Kalinin will have an excellent year. IMO, he's a young Konstantinov. I get weird looks from most Sabre fans when I say that, but that's what I see in Dmitri. He may not play with that same edge Vladimir did, but I believe it will come in time. He shows a little of it from time to time.

2003-2004 Prediction...
10 goals 27 assists for 37 points.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:48 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

campbell, jumps in all the plays, uses his body to get position defensively and just looks like a quality young D-man

Old
09-22-2003, 05:50 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Derek Roy. I think this guy is gonna be the player everyone hopes he will be, and I think he'll stick with the club most of the year, if he doesn't get hurt:

65gms, 22 goals, 23assists, 45points, 78pim.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Slangston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
campbell, jumps in all the plays, uses his body to get position defensively and just looks like a quality young D-man
He's another guy I think highly of. This is Soupy's make it or break it year, and I think he knows that. He'll do fine.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm excited to see what these young d-men can do. At least one of them have to step it up if we're going to be successful.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Slangston

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Derek Roy. I think this guy is gonna be the player everyone hopes he will be, and I think he'll stick with the club most of the year, if he doesn't get hurt:

65gms, 22 goals, 23assists, 45points, 78pim.
Whoa...Expecting big things out of Roy aren't we? Those are Calder candidate numbers. I can't see him making that big of an impact in his first year.

Another thing, if he makes this team, who will he replace?

Old
09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
Whoa...Expecting big things out of Roy aren't we? Those are Calder candidate numbers. I can't see him making that big of an impact in his first year.

Another thing, if he makes this team, who will he replace?
I know those are drastic numbers for a rookie, especially one coming out of Buffalo. But look at Kotalik. He had 21 goals last year. I don't think anyone here can say they expected that from him. People here areexpecting big things from Roy. I know people expected big things from Connolly too. However, the difference between Connolly and Roy is obvious, and that is intensity, desire, and passion. Connolly showed about as much desire as a rock last year. Roy has all the intensity he can have. This guy seems like he wants to win more than anyone on the team. And I feel he will step up his game in a huge way, knock someone, possibly Dumont, out of a job, and break into the league in a big way.

(By the way i really like this thread and I am interested on everyone's views as well)

Old
09-22-2003, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
I think Taylor Pyatt will finally break out.

GP: 77, Goals: 26, assists: 20, Points: 46

Late last season Pyatt showed he can be a very good power forward in the league and i honestly think he will start on the 3rd line and that will get him going to get back to the first line. Those #'s arn't amazing or anything, but i think it's a break out from the 14-14-28 he had last season and 26 goals is just 2 shy of his career total.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Slangston

Can't forget about Maxim Afinogenov. Will this finally be Max's year? Gosh I hope so, he's an exciting player to watch and a personal favorite of mine.

Old
09-23-2003, 02:07 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Chris Drury

If he plays like he did against the Leafs he'll have an 82 goal 164 assist season!!!!

Drury=Hart

Old
09-23-2003, 02:51 AM
CelticSabre
aka MillerTime

I also think Taylor is going to have a big year....I watched the game against the Leafs and he really looked like he was using his size a lot more to his advantage...also Max will have a big year if he goes injury free

Old
09-23-2003, 04:00 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Kalinin already was our 2nd best defenseman last year.

Campbell will have 30+ points this year.
Connolly will have 50+ points this year.

Old
09-23-2003, 05:02 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I agree with most people here, that Kalinin will probably have a pretty good year, 30+ pts, take over #1 D-man for Zhitnik.

However, any forwards that are going to break out will have to have to fight through alot to get there. Look at the lines:

Satan-Drury-Kotalik
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Pyatt-Brown-Afinogenov
Peters-Mair-??

Roy looks like he belongs in the NHL, but do you want him playing the 4th line? Pyatt could have a big year, but not while playing on the 3rd line. Afinogenov could be dangerous as well, but again, will need to get top line ice time. If Satan holds out, i think it changes the face of our lines considerably.

Pyatt-Drury-Kotalik
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Brown-Roy-Afinogenov

That would set up Pyatt to put up big numbers, IMHO. A player not to be ignored is Hecht. If Briere and him have a good season, he could net 30 goals, 60 pts easily. Drury could have a career year here, i'm talking 20 goals, 50+ assists.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:42 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Personally I like Hecht to break out and get a crapload of assists and a bit over 50 pts.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Hecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
Personally I like Hecht to break out and get a crapload of assists and a bit over 50 pts.
hopefully, I can become the 20 goal scorer I was projected to be in St. Louis.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Puddy

I think most people have wrongfully forgotten about Hecht. He will surprise a lot of people that have been focussing on Briere and Drury. This is his year to breakout.

Old
09-23-2003, 10:45 AM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
you guys are a bit more optimistic than i am.
i'm not sure that there'll be a definite breakout player, but i expect most of the young fellas to improve.

what i'd like to see is some solid goalkeeping this year, and a defense that will let them, without making them be spectacular to be solid.

if that makes sense.

Old
09-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
The team as a whole will perform better. This year's breakout player in my opinion has to be Taylor Pyatt. It's time for him. He might get really close to the 50 point mark. Pending a Satan holdout he would be 1st/3rd line. And if you think Roy or Connolly on 3rd line, thats goals from Roy and (hopefully) assists from Connolly. I think it's Pyatt's time. He's only 22 though, remember that. So if he doesn't break out yet, we've got time on him.

I also think Henrik Tallinder surprises a lot of people this year.

Old
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
jkflesh

i was impressed with pyatt at camp. He looked better with the puck. and he defenitly looked stronger. so i expect a breakout from him. Also i was impressed with cambell in camp. He was really jumping into the play a lot, but he didnt look bad in his own zone either.Tallinder would be # 3 for me as far as breakouts go.

Old
09-23-2003, 07:37 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
Can't forget about Maxim Afinogenov. Will this finally be Max's year? Gosh I hope so, he's an exciting player to watch and a personal favorite of mine.
Max Afinogenov's going to have the year he should have had last year:

GP: 73 G: 31 A: 23 P: 54 PPG: 11

Old
09-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Tra La La

I think Mair, if not bogged down with sorry linemates will score 15-20 goals.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Slangston

You know what? I really like Mair as an offensive player. He displayed some decent hands last year. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with offensive oriented players once and a while.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Tra La La

I'd like to see Mair and Roy together. and see how it goes.

Old
09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Slangston

Sounds like a good idea to me Zim. Put those two together with Roy as center, Mair at left and possibly throw Maxim Afinogenov on the right. Or you could move Brown to wing and let him lay the right side. Something to ponder over.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
What kind of season do you guys think Begin will have?

5g, 6a, 11pts is my prediction. You guys think thats too high? Too low?

Old
09-24-2003, 03:54 PM
tugnuttfan31

Send a message via AIM to tugnuttfan31
I agree that if Roy makes the team, which I think he should have made LAST year, he will have an excellent year. However, my break-out player won't have a ton of points, but I see him becoming probably the second most reliable defenseman on the team after McKee. Henrik Tallinder. He has the size and he's a decent skater. He got burned a few times last year, but I think that's rookie jitters.

Closed Thread