HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "new generation" of Sens fans...

Old
05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
sens4life
CLASSLESS

vCash: 500
The "new generation" of Sens fans...

This playoff run has really brought out something different in Sens fans that I haven't seen before (coincidentally mirroring the charactersitics of the team):
- swagger
- confidence
- YOUTH

I suspect it's because the team is now 20+ years old and there are a lot of teens and twenty somethings growing up with the team, as the Senators being their first love.

It's simply amazing to watch. Gone are the days that there are only a couple of media outlets to get coverage from. Social media has gone haywire with a breed of Sens fans that rivals the habs, leafs or any other NHL team. Look at how quickly viral videos are created and spread. Same for other memes.

Well done, new breed of Sens fan. Dare I say those of us who game before you (aged 40+) knew you would come one day, but could have never imagined this level of passion for our team. Keep it up!!!

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Great post.

Everyone's always said die hard fans take time to create and grow for new organizations. It was easy for other teams to snicker and say *UR FANZ IS NOT LOWD LIKE ARZ!* but the comparison wasn't all that fair. A team with over 100 years of history vs one with 15, obviously the century old team is going to have a larger following.

You're now seeing fans like me who have ONLY ever cheered for the Ottawa Senators reaching that age where we can afford season tickets or just tickets on a regular basis. We still wont get much respect from fans around the league of other teams because as we've seen with Spezza, reputation from Ottawa is everything. At least now we know they're wrong. Before they weren't completely wrong. But the new Sens army has arrived in full force.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

It'll be even better when SBP is filled(for the most part) with Senator fans during Scabs/Laffs games.

Sovereign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Haha it's great to see. I think I would still fit into the youth movement (25 years old) but I've been a Sens fan since the beginning (still have my custom name '93 jersey kickin' around somewheres) and I can say it's really great to see the support the team is getting and the atmosphere that has come around at SBP.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Ohhh Franco

Yep, its been quite noticeable this Playoff season. It could also just be the fact that it is the Playoffs and everyone gets extra jacked up and excited, but I have noticed the younger faces/groups. SBP, Elgin St. and The Senate have been wild - lots of fun!

I dont think you can find a face in this video under the age of 35:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQqWW_N5LF8

As said a few posts ago, social media is key in all of this. Motivates and mobilizes the masses!

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
It'll be even better when SBP is filled(for the most part) with Senator fans during Scabs/Laffs games.
Like Game 3 and 4 of the playoffs?

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Yup!

I was so proud.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Yup!

I was so proud.
Same here. Especially because Habs fans were declaring the games at Scotiabank Place would be home games for the Habs.

During Game 3, so many Habs fans were getting taunted when leaving early.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Oh man, I wish I could've been there for that.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Same here. Especially because Habs fans were declaring the games at Scotiabank Place would be home games for the Habs.

During Game 3, so many Habs fans were getting taunted when leaving early.
It really was a beautiful moment that 3rd period. Many Habs fans were shocked at how they were treated.. I bet a lot of them think twice about coming if we meet in the playoffs again..

Our fanbase definitely arrived that night.

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:28 PM
coladin

I have noticed too, it is really heartening to see the city grow up with the Senators. There will always be other allegiances in this city but I still contend in 5 years they will have to cap season tickets. The teens are getting jobs, they are going to buy tickets.

Not to be chauvinistic, but I see groups of girls going to a hockey game. Like, how awesome is that. Not with boyfriends, just girls spending 100 bucks on tickets. That is the passion of our youth, girls playing hockey and at high levels too, everything is in place for SBP to be packed for along, long time.

My 11yr old son is dying to go and I am bringing him to Game 3. When I was 11, I was waiting for 6:37pm on channel 7 with Brian Smith to watch the highlights of what Wayne Gretzky and the Oilers did the night before. I would literally get up and come back at 6:40. How lucky are today's kids in Ottawa to see their heroes up close?

Nothing will come close to Game 3 against the Habs. Not even Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. If someone told me that he game was going to be like that , I would have 1000 bucks to see it. The chants, the passion, the satisfaction will forever be unequalled.

coladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

You kids all need to get off my lawn!

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I'm in between the two generations of Sens fans. 34 yo.

I've been buying ticket snce the early 2000's but had a bunch of old people looking at me when trying to start a chant, ushers asking me to lower my voice or telling me to sit down.

I also noticed a lot more Sens paraphernalia in Gatineau.

Can't wait to bring my sons to a game.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Stahp saying "swagger". Thats what glenn healey always says.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

I think game 3 of the Habs series is a milestone for both the organization and us as fans. It set a new standard. There were no cheap gimmicks (gladiator), no pre-conceived lame chants, nobody annoyed with the noise... It all happened organically it seems and we collectively felt a sense of pride in our team and in ourselves for showing opposite fans that SBP is our house.

We have to build on this.

I hope we remain reasonable and sarcastic

Also, as much as some of us have been critical of the Sens marketing department before, you have to tip your hat to them for they've done. They made the place very family oriented for a number of years, and recently have switched things up a bit. They're encouraging everybody more than ever to be loud, backed the RSU (who I think have been terrific as far as injecting some much needed energy in the building), players and uncle Eug have been in touch with fans via social media, it's all coming together beautifully.

Fun times to be a fan!

Jerk Store is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I think game 3 of the Habs series is a milestone for both the organization and us as fans. It set a new standard. There were no cheap gimmicks (gladiator), no pre-conceived lame chants, nobody annoyed with the noise... It all happened organically it seems and we collectively felt a sense of pride in our team and in ourselves for showing opposite fans that SBP is our house.

We have to build on this.

I hope we remain reasonable and sarcastic

Also, as much as some of us have been critical of the Sens marketing department before, you have to tip your hat to them for they've done. They made the place very family oriented for a number of years, and recently have switched things up a bit. They're encouraging everybody more than ever to be loud, backed the RSU (who I think have been terrific as far as injecting some much needed energy in the building), players and uncle Eug have been in touch with fans via social media, it's all coming together beautifully.

Fun times to be a fan!
BOOOOOOOOOM, end of thread. This post has it all: organic, pride, Sens marketing, RSU, Eugene and social media. All have been very important!!!!

Old
05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

I've been buying ticket snce the early 2000's but had a bunch of old people looking at me when trying to start a chant, ushers asking me to lower my voice or telling me to sit down.
What. The. Hell.

Quote:
Pageau will help a lot with this. You see Flyers jerseys at The Bob all the time, the odd Talbot Penguins jersey, the odd Krejč Bruins jersey, but almost never Sens jerseys. While I'd prefer these people to buy Olympiques paraphernalia, I'd also prefer them to be wearing Sens jerseys instead of Penguins...

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Sens92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post

Can't wait to bring my sons to a game.
That's so true. I remember starting a gloating "Subban Sucks" chant after Game 3, and the Usher started freaking out "I've had enough". Needless to say, I didn't stop. The main reason so many Habs and Leafs fans show up to our games is because we don't make it HOSTILE enough... Maybe Melnyk needs to hire new ushers? It's hockey. If you want to watch the game quietly, watch it in your living room. Leave the Arena to the real fans...

Sens92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:54 PM
mcnorth

Yeah, as much as I love the 'family' angle I think we need a few more years of loud and proud to chase out the Leafs and Habs. Then, and only then, can we bring our kids. Joking, sorta, but there needs to be a balance there. Beating the Habs was huge, that victory happened on the ice but also in the stands, and the Habs fans know it's our building. My hope is that happens with the Leafs fans too over the next few seasons. The team needs to beat them on the ice, though, to give the fans the ammo they need.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Number1SensFan

16 years old here! Attending the game Sunday by myself, gonna be a blast. GO SENS GO!

Number1SensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens92 View Post
That's so true. I remember starting a gloating "Subban Sucks" chant after Game 3, and the Usher started freaking out "I've had enough". Needless to say, I didn't stop. The main reason so many Habs and Leafs fans show up to our games is because we don't make it HOSTILE enough... Maybe Melnyk needs to hire new ushers? It's hockey. If you want to watch the game quietly, watch it in your living room. Leave the Arena to the real fans...
You don't think that maybe it is because Ottawa has a relatively low percentage of season ticket holders, so people who are only interested in going to Habs or Laffs games can easily buy these tickets up when they first go on sale? Until we have season ticket percentages close to Toronto or Montreal, we will always have this.

AS far as the crowd goes, game 3 was probably the most exciting game (from a Sens point of view) I have seen. I am one who thinks it is not my duty to cheer, it is up to the team to get me excited, and I've been cheering my ass off so far.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1SensFan View Post
16 years old here! Attending the game Sunday by myself, gonna be a blast. GO SENS GO!
Solo? You should stop by the RSU tailgate party located in Parking Lot 6. Come one, come all!

Come get crrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyy!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps54b92488.png

Last edited by Ohhh Franco: 05-16-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old
05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Solo? You should stop by the RSU tailgate party located in Parking Lot 6. Come one, come all!

Come one, come Causin'

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Number1SensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps54b92488.png
Yeah, I live outside of Ottawa so I don't know anybody living there. Making the trip from Niagara Falls on Saturday!

Last edited by Number1SensFan: 05-16-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Number1SensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Sens92

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
You don't think that maybe it is because Ottawa has a relatively low percentage of season ticket holders, so people who are only interested in going to Habs or Laffs games can easily buy these tickets up when they first go on sale? Until we have season ticket percentages close to Toronto or Montreal, we will always have this.

AS far as the crowd goes, game 3 was probably the most exciting game (from a Sens point of view) I have seen. I am one who thinks it is not my duty to cheer, it is up to the team to get me excited, and I've been cheering my ass off so far.
That definitely plays into it as well. We definitely have one of the largest walk-up crowds. But really, Leafs fans and Habs fans are way to comfortable in our rink. I hate hearing the "this is our house" chant from leafs fans when I attend games. A lot of our fans are 70 year olds who sit there quietly.

The season ticket holder percentages will begin to rise as well, as a twenty year old, I KNOW i will be a season ticket holder when my financial permit me to do so.

Sens92 is offline   Reply With Quote