HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mark Stone?

Old
05-16-2013, 08:11 AM
acfurino

vCash: 500
Mark Stone?

Whatsup Senators fans,

I've had Stone on my fantasy hockey keeper team and im hoping u guys can give me information and your opinions about him...

1) How did he play and how did he look this year?

2) Whats his future/potential? Also estimated time of arrival in NHL?

Info and your opinions will b greatly appreciated...

-Tony

acfurino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:20 AM
SensHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfurino View Post
Whatsup Senators fans,

I've had Stone on my fantasy hockey keeper team and im hoping u guys can give me information and your opinions about him...

1) How did he play and how did he look this year?

2) Whats his future/potential? Also estimated time of arrival in NHL?

Info and your opinions will b greatly appreciated...

-Tony
Most likely play full-time next season. Future 25-30 goal scorer. After returning from injury late in the season, he finished at a point/gm pace over the last 17 or 18 games with Bingo.

SensHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Healfezza

Stone has a chance to break into the lineup next year, but there are no guarentees with a roster that is being pushed by a large group of other young players. At the very least, look at him gettting chances as a callup, and if he performs well he will stick around.

A 6th round pick, been a longshot since he was drafted. His developement has come a long way since then though, he has shown a lot of NHL ability in the last couple of years. A guy with a boom/bust potential based on his questionable ability to keep pace with NHL speed. If he can make a career for himself, it will likely be as a T6 scoring winger. Stone will have to make use of superior positioning to compensate for his below average acceleration.

If he can have a good offseason or two with our strength and condition/skating coaches, look for him to have an impact in 2-4 years starting with a modest rookie campaign.

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
mikey

Not fast enough for the big leagues. I'd drop him/trade him.

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
pageaus tooth

I would think Stone will spend another full year in the AHL as Ottawa tends to develop players slowly. The accelerated development of Zibanejad and Pageau, the acquisition of honey badger; coupled with a stable bottom six, I don't see a full-time roster spot for Stone in 2013-2014. As for Stone developing into a 25-30 goal scorer; i personally would consider that a stretch. I see him more as a 2nd line winger with 10-20 goals/25-35 assists. His production will be contingent upon how his skating continues to develop. But what do i know.

pageaus tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
OgieO

He was banged up to start the year, then missed some time with injury. When he came back (i.e. when he was finally healthy) he looked very promising to me. I think he's close and as long as we have room, I think he's a regular next year and a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL over his career. Possibly better than that, but I don't like to get ahead of myself.

The kid has a knack for scoring, has tremendous hockey sense, good hands and a is a great passer of the puck. He's also physical. Yes, he's not a great skater but that aspect is improving and we've had clear example of players who improve their skating receently. A lot of people praise his shot, but I actually only this its average to be honest. Not bad, but not a weapon either.

If you want a rough comparison. Dany Heatley, with a worse shot, but more physical and probably better around the net. Maybe a little Dave Andreychuk in him too. Those aren't perfect comparisons though.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:01 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
He was banged up to start the year, then missed some time with injury. When he came back (i.e. when he was finally healthy) he looked very promising to me. I think he's close and as long as we have room, I think he's a regular next year and a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL over his career. Possibly better than that, but I don't like to get ahead of myself.

The kid has a knack for scoring, has tremendous hockey sense, good hands and a is a great passer of the puck. He's also physical. Yes, he's not a great skater but that aspect is improving and we've had clear example of players who improve their skating recently. A lot of people praise his shot, but I actually only this its average to be honest. Not bad, but not a weapon either.

If you want a rough comparison. Dany Heatley, with a worse shot, but more physical and probably better around the net. Maybe a little Dave Andreychuk in him too. Those aren't perfect comparisons though.
Physical like Heatley or physical like Zbad?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:00 AM
derriko

vCash: 4116
He played the first couple months of the AHL season with a broken rib so his numbers were a little skewed. I think what he did for the last 20-30 games is more likely what you can expect from him in the A (ppg or close to it)

I watched about the first 30 games maybe missing a few here or there and you could tell there was something wrong with him. He has a pretty good shot, yet he was missing the net almost half the time. I watched him in Brandon 3-4 games a year and so I knew that wasnt him healthy.

As far as long term projections, I think he may only get games next year at the middle/end of the season.

There is a spot for him in the top 9 though if he can beat out a guy or two in camp so its not conpletely crazy to think he could start in the NHL. He even has a shot to play with Spezza, and after an adjustment period, i think he could put on a 40 point pace on his flank, though I can be a little homerish with Mark since hes my favorite player.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Mark Stone does not having skating issues anymore. Hes an average skater now.

He's also far from a boom/bust prospect.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:06 PM
mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

I disagree.

He skates like Cheecho.

The comparison to Heatley is a fair one. Stone is willing to get into the dirty areas more, however.

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Healfezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

Is his skating good enough to be NHL average though? He might look okay in the A but the NHL game is a lot faster and tighter. Can anyone break down how he has improved?

Does anyone feel Stone has the ability to play a bottom 6 role?

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

I think that he's a long shot to be a real producer at the NHL level because of his skating. He's a bit, smart, talented player though and should end up in the NHL in some capacity.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Nizzy

Stone im surprised he isnt playing already ..Better option then Kassian and Latendresse with rebounds Vokoun gives Stone would be a beast cleaning up spillage

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

I won't repeat too much of what others have already said, but a few additional points:

- he lead Bingo in scoring as a rookie. Not many players who accomplish this, don't make the NHL. Not a guarantee, but puts his early season struggles into perspective. He is not an extremely high risk prospect at this stage - the real question is of his upside (and how much, if at all, skating will hold him back in the NHL).

- he more than likely projects as a playmaking winger. That was his bread and butter in junior, and also how he played in Bingo. He a tremendous WJC in a scoring role, which showed his offensive versatility, but history has shown he will more than likely be a dishman more than known as a scorer. he may end up a steady 20 goal scorer, but I think he has 50+ assist potential.

- he has no guaranteed spot next year, but will get a long look and be in competition for a spot on the wing. The Sens are not overly deep on the wing when it comes to established skill, and if Alfie retires, I think Stone will get pencilled into a forward spot for sure. Latendresse likely walks, Michalek can't be counted on for a full season and there isn't a lot of offensive talent on the wing outside of those guys, besides Silfverberg and perhaps Conacher.

- As noted, he is not a boom or bust guy, and his defensive play this year in Bingo was probably the most encouraging, as was the fact he played with a couple of physical forwards on a bang and chase line for much of the year. It shows he could crack the Sens in the bottom 6 next year, and move up from there.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I disagree.

He skates like Cheecho.

The comparison to Heatley is a fair one. Stone is willing to get into the dirty areas more, however.
That's what I thought, still that doesn't make him a physical guy.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

I am hoping he makes the team next year and should since I could play better then Regin. That being said, I expect him to start in Bingo next year and be one of the first call ups like Zib and Silf were an eventually stick with the team.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
mcnorth

Right-side is a real logjam. Might have to wait until Alfie retires. He's not likely to take a bottom six job from Neil or Condra, not likely to bounce Silfverberg, and there's even speculation on the board (nothing ever from coaches - so take it for what it's worth) that maybe Turris might be needed more at RW than center with Pageau blossoming and Zbad playing better at center than wing (and he's a right shot also). Maybe he gets a shot as a LWer? Maybe Condra moves permanently to the left. There's a lot of names and only a few spots and he's not on a contract that forces the Sens hand. Tough to see him here full-time next year. But, my hope is he's so good he can't be denied.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:05 PM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Mark Stone.....

Mark Stone needs at least another year in Binghamton to try and develop so he can play up in Ottawa. Bring him up for some games next season, give him a taste again.......

No need to rush prospects anymore let them develop then when they are ready that way you get a better player who is ready to play in the NHL.......................

ZekeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Nizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Right-side is a real logjam. Might have to wait until Alfie retires. He's not likely to take a bottom six job from Neil or Condra, not likely to bounce Silfverberg, and there's even speculation on the board (nothing ever from coaches - so take it for what it's worth) that maybe Turris might be needed more at RW than center with Pageau blossoming and Zbad playing better at center than wing (and he's a right shot also). Maybe he gets a shot as a LWer? Maybe Condra moves permanently to the left. There's a lot of names and only a few spots and he's not on a contract that forces the Sens hand. Tough to see him here full-time next year. But, my hope is he's so good he can't be denied.
Silfverberg can play RW LW

Michalek Spezza Stone
Silfverberg Zibanejad Alfredsson

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeA View Post
Mark Stone needs at least another year in Binghamton to try and develop so he can play up in Ottawa. Bring him up for some games next season, give him a taste again.......

No need to rush prospects anymore let them develop then when they are ready that way you get a better player who is ready to play in the NHL.......................
I'm with Zeke. Let him learn to keep possession on the rush. He's a fantastic cycler, but he needs a bit more training to fit into Maclean's 200-ft game.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
StefanW
Classless

I may be bashed in this thread for saying so, but I believe that Stone will become wonderful trade bate for our team. I do not think he meshes well with MacLean's system, and there are several people ahead of him on the team that he will not be able to dislodge. Of course injuries happen that can change everything, and sometimes players are asked to play out of the natural positions.

I an expecting Stone to be packaged up with other pieces if we think we are close to contending and need that extra special player to go over the top. He is a desirable prospect that many teams would love to have.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I may be bashed in this thread for saying so, but I believe that Stone will become wonderful trade bate for our team. I do not think he meshes well with MacLean's system, and there are several people ahead of him on the team that he will not be able to dislodge. Of course injuries happen that can change everything, and sometimes players are asked to play out of the natural positions.

I an expecting Stone to be packaged up with other pieces if we think we are close to contending and need that extra special player to go over the top. He is a desirable prospect that many teams would love to have.
I can see this happening. Mark Stone will have great value to teams looking to dump salary with the cap ceiling going down.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Magix

Don't know why his skating keeps being brought up, he looked fine when he was up here (better skater than latendresse). I'm hoping he turns out to be a big body we can throw in front of the net similar to tomas holmstrom (with a tad better production). Plus I think he can really mesh with spezza as he thinks the game much better than a michalek or greening.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:21 AM
OgieO

Stone does have some skating issues imo. I don't think he's a bad skater, but its not an asset either. His first few strides are slow but once he gets going he's fine. Still, as I said above, skating can improve and he's already gotten better the last few years, no reason to think that won't continue.

Also, I'll totally disagree with posters that say he's not physical. That's just crazy talk. Had he played a full 48 game season he was on pace to be third on the team in hits behind Neil and Methot. He's one of our more physical players.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Don't know why his skating keeps being brought up, he looked fine when he was up here (better skater than latendresse). I'm hoping he turns out to be a big body we can throw in front of the net similar to tomas holmstrom (with a tad better production). Plus I think he can really mesh with spezza as he thinks the game much better than a michalek or greening.
We were watching a different player then. Stone's terrible skating was very noticeable in his last call-up, and it's not better than Latendresse's skating.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote