HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silfverberg so far?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Alfredsson won the Calder Trophy in the dead-puck era.
Personally, I'd temper my expectations a bit.
Not quite the dead puck era, almost. League scoring that year was almost a full goal per game higher than this season.

However, I think anyone saying that Silfverberg is better at the same age is dreaming; Alfredsson was the best player on the Senators that year. Not as deep a team as this one but he was one of the few players other teams had to worry about and he still produced.

I love Silfverberg and see some resemblance to Alfredsson - but in the same way I see some Hossa in Zibanejad. Both will be impact players in the nhl, just not as good as the guys they're being measured against as a comparable.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:42 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Article on Silfverberg

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...318/story.html

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
However, I think anyone saying that Silfverberg is better at the same age is dreaming; Alfredsson was the best player on the Senators that year. Not as deep a team as this one but he was one of the few players other teams had to worry about and he still produced.
The same age doesn't mean rookie year. In this case, people are saying Silfverberg at age 22 is better than Alfredsson was at age 22. Alfie was in the SEL at age 22, while Silfverberg tore up the SEL at age 21.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
newerabegins

Would be awesome if he gets better puckhandling skills and learns to be patient like Alfie to control the pace of the game. Easier said than done lol but that would give him so many more opportunities to use his bullet of a shot.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:52 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
Would be awesome if he gets better puckhandling skills and learns to be patient like Alfie to control the pace of the game. Easier said than done lol but that would give him so many more opportunities to use his bullet of a shot.
31 games into his NHL career, I'd say he could still improve in any number of ways.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Magix

Alfredsson is the expectation now? Thats setting up to be disappointed. I doubt we will ever see another player like alfie in this organization ditto for spezza and karlsson, these type of players are rare.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Alfredsson is the expectation now? Thats setting up to be disappointed. I doubt we will ever see another player like alfie in this organization ditto for spezza and karlsson, these type of players are rare.
So we will never have a star level player as long as Ottawa exists?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Doubt to the level those guys are at. Unless we get lucky.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
It's called drafting and developing. And it has worked out in the past for us.

But for some reason there seems to be a belief on hf that great players only come in the top 3 picks, trades, or free agency

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Lehner will be quite sad to hear this.

Patvolcom65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
3 in 20 years isn't bad. It's more if you count Hossa and Chara in that level. So 5 in 20 years, one every 4 years. I suppose we only drafted 4 of them, so one every 5 years.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:45 PM
OD99

Have to somewhat agree

Quote:
Those guys are pretty much uber elite talents and many teams go long stretches without having players of that caliber.

I still think that Karlsson will probably go down as the best player the Senators will have ever had...if last season and the start to this season are any indication he is looking like a generational talent (we all know the stats of what he did and the age he did it).

As for Spezza - we will be very lucky to have a guy even as close to as good as he has been and as talented as he is.

Alfie, well...you know.

Lehner might well be the other guy to get into their category but the ones mentioned aren't just good players - they are difference makers and top echelon elite. There are lots of really good players but only a few true elites.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
3 in 20 years isn't bad. It's more if you count Hossa and Chara in that level. So 5 in 20 years, one every 4 years. I suppose we only drafted 4 of them, so one every 5 years.
Good point...I wasn't really thinking of them because they continued to grow and became really elite after they left the Senators.

I mean Yashin was in the running or even nominated for the Hart too wasn't he? I can't count him though...

Old
03-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Magix

I dont know about top 3 picks, oilers still suck. I'm just skeptical in when we start comparing prospects to elite players (ceiling wise not style) and throwing out comments like "silfverberg can be better than alfie"

I never said ottawa wouldnt have another good player, just that we arent going to be pumping out players that are similar to karlsson, spezza or alfredsson talent wise.

But noooo, of course lehner is the next lundqvist and silfverberg is alfie on steroids.....

Old
03-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
Those guys are pretty much uber elite talents and many teams go long stretches without having players of that caliber.

I still think that Karlsson will probably go down as the best player the Senators will have ever had...if last season and the start to this season are any indication he is looking like a generational talent (we all know the stats of what he did and the age he did it).

As for Spezza - we will be very lucky to have a guy even as close to as good as he has been and as talented as he is.

Alfie, well...you know.

Lehner might well be the other guy to get into their category but the ones mentioned aren't just good players - they are difference makers and top echelon elite. There are lots of really good players but only a few true elites.
Great post

Old
03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I believe the exchange went something like this:

Reporter: Who does Silfverberg remind you of?

Alfie: Himself

Making the point that Silfverberg is his own player, and shouldn't be compared to anyone else.
No...it has been reported that Alfie said that Silf reminded him of Alfie...

From the Scanlan article linked here:

Alfredsson also hit his spot in a recent quote on Silfverberg: “He reminds me of me.” True enough, Silfverberg is Alfredsson-tough along the boards, smart and opportunistic.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz2O1N4Sa2h

Old
03-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
I dont know about top 3 picks, oilers still suck. I'm just skeptical in when we start comparing prospects to elite players (ceiling wise not style) and throwing out comments like "silfverberg can be better than alfie"

I never said ottawa wouldnt have another good player, just that we arent going to be pumping out players that are similar to karlsson, spezza or alfredsson talent wise.

But noooo, of course lehner is the next lundqvist and silfverberg is alfie on steroids.....
We'll never know how good he could have been once the results for his steroids test comes back positive.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:

Of course we aren't going to get a lot of those kinda players on our team, but those guys are the elite. You don't need a lot of elites to win. Two is plenty (when was the last team to win with more than two or maybe 3 if they got lucky), we can draft and develop a great supporting cast on our own. We did it before (Neil, Fisher, Volchenkov, Vermette, Hossa, Havlat, Kelly etc.) and now we have a bunch of guys that were not high draft picks, but are developing very well and could potentially fill those rolls. (Silf, Lehner, Stone, Wier, Greening, Gryba, JOB, Condra etc.)

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
GreatStateofHockey

Alfie will be nearly impossible to replace, but in the next 10 years, we will probably draft someone with Spezza's talent. Players like him aren't as rare as you would think. Karlsson might be the best player this team will have for the next 50 years.

GreatStateofHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Of course we aren't going to get a lot of those kinda players on our team, but those guys are the elite. You don't need a lot of elites to win. Two is plenty (when was the last team to win with more than two or maybe 3 if they got lucky), we can draft and develop a great supporting cast on our own. We did it before (Neil, Fisher, Volchenkov, Vermette, Hossa, Havlat, Kelly etc.) and now we have a bunch of guys that were not high draft picks, but are developing very well and could potentially fill those rolls. (Silf, Lehner, Stone, Wier, Greening, Gryba, JOB, Condra etc.)
I do like the group they are surrounding karlsson/spezza with, a bunch of 2 way guys who all compete and buy into the system. It only bodes well for the future. Also helps they have a great coach and culture coming along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey View Post
Alfie will be nearly impossible to replace, but in the next 10 years, we will probably draft someone with Spezza's talent. Players like him aren't as rare as you would think. Karlsson might be the best player this team will have for the next 50 years.
I dont think so, lots of teams would hope when they draft in the top 3 to end up with a player who can produce as much as spezza has for us. Career ppg centers who can carry a line and have your offense built around, dont come around that often.

Looking at the 2009 and 2010 drafts for example, only player you can say would come close to that would be Tavares.

Last edited by Magix: 03-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatStateofHockey View Post
...in the next 10 years, we will probably draft someone with Spezza's talent. Players like him aren't as rare as you would think. .
I respectfully disagree and think this is another sign of how under appreciated Spezza is. He might not have been the guy to lead us to a Cup but he is more than a play-maker now...he is a legit difference maker.

I honestly don't know and don't have time to look it up - have we had someone finish higher than 4th in NHL scoring before? I can think perhaps Alfie or Heatley but then again they all got to play together...

Old
03-19-2013, 04:56 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
So much fail here:

"Jakob Silfverberg #33 of the Ottawa Senators celebrates the game winning goal in the third-period with teammate Taylor Pyatt #14 against the Ottawa Senators"

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
So much fail here:

"Jakob Silfverberg #33 of the Ottawa Senators celebrates the game winning goal in the third-period with teammate Taylor Pyatt #14 against the Ottawa Senators"
Pyatt to Ottawa?

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
playasRus

Alfie, Havlat, Hossa, Spezza, Karlsson. We've drafted some elite talent over the past 20 years, none of them in the top 5 (except Spezza but that was acquired).

So it's not unreasonable to think we'll draft another player of their caliber within the few seasons (we drafted Karlsson 5? years ago). That's assuming that one of our current prospects/rookies doesn't develop to star quality - remember, Karlsson took a couple seasons to really start shining so maybe in 2015 one of Turris/Zib/Silf/Stone/Noesen/Pumps will be on a whole other level.

Add that we obtained Heatley, Chara, Redden, Hasek, Anderson and we can definately say we'll be obtaining high end talent players again once this generation moves on.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Alfie, Havlat, Hossa, Spezza, Karlsson. We've drafted some elite talent over the past 20 years, none of them in the top 5 (except Spezza but that was acquired).

So it's not unreasonable to think we'll draft another player of their caliber within the few seasons (we drafted Karlsson 5? years ago). That's assuming that one of our current prospects/rookies doesn't develop to star quality - remember, Karlsson took a couple seasons to really start shining so maybe in 2015 one of Turris/Zib/Silf/Stone/Noesen/Pumps will be on a whole other level.

Add that we obtained Heatley, Chara, Redden, Hasek, Anderson and we can definately say we'll be obtaining high end talent players again once this generation moves on.
I think I am defining things differently (at least in my head).

For instance I can't accept Hasek - he just wasn't here long enough and didn't produce.

Heatley didn't show elite level talent for long enough, Redden was never in that real elite status and even Chara really emerged after he left, Havlat never reached that status and Hossa really emerged after he left as well (he did have that one big, last season with Ottawa).

I still say guys like Karlsson, Spezza and Alfie are on a different level as Ottawa Senators than others we have had.

Still, can't argue with the fact we have had very good players here.

Didn't we draft Spezza? We traded and got the #2 pick in the draft and then drafted him I thought.