HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silfverberg so far?

Old
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
I've said before that I think Silfverberg has the potential to be as good as Alfredsson has been in his career. He is very good defensively already, he has a great shot, he has very good vision, is bigger than Alfie & is a gifted playmaker. IMO he has all the tools & it's just up to him to put it all together in a consistent basis in every game, every yr. Time will tell.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:53 PM
H2O

I agree, very promising when he seems to be finding time amd space more easily with each game it seems.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I've said before that I think Silfverberg has the potential to be as good as Alfredsson has been in his career. He is very good defensively already, he has a great shot, he has very good vision, is bigger than Alfie & is a gifted playmaker. IMO he has all the tools & it's just up to him to put it all together in a consistent basis in every game, every yr. Time will tell.
Well he's off to a good start. He's already better at the same age, and possesses some elite skills on a higher level than Alfredsson. His skating isn't as good though and that's where he'll need to improve the most. However with his intelligence and tools I don't know that he has to become an explosive skater in order to be as good as Alfredsson.

Either way he's really something special and he's going to be the stitched jersey I've ever owned.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Carrie Underwood

vCash: 905
I do not want to rain on some peoples parade, however, I do not think we should be under the impression that Silfverberg is the next Alfredsson. I hope he is the answer to Alfredsson's retirement, but I don't think we should be expecting it. Alfredsson has an ability not many players have which is how he slows the game down with his calmness. Now, Silfverberg may be able to develop this and prove us wrong, and it is a benefit for him to be practicing with Alfredsson this whole season. Silfverberg will definitly be an integral part of this team moving forward, he will score a ton of goals, especially if he develops chemistry with Spezza. Even if he has a career half as good as Alfredsson, we are lucky to have him! Go Sens Go.

Carrie Underwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
HavlatMach9

^ Potential, no matter what kind, let's you get away with almost any sorts of statements.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:38 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 50
Having a great game tonight, the NESN announcers cant stip talking about him.

18Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

He had a couple chances to score and he was so ticked off at himself for not scoring. He wants to be better every shift.

He's nothing right now of the player he will become.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
LaGu

Sorry, not a Senators supporter but I was taking a look around hfboards and fell across this thread. What caught my interest was the Alfredsson vs Silfverberg at the same age.

Alfredsson is a homie for me, he's from my home town and was playing for my team in the SEL so I am normally biased when it comes to him. That said, this shouldn't even be a discussion, Silfverberg was significantly better than Alfredsson playing in the SEL. It is not even remotely close.

20 years old:

10/11 Silfverberg was the no 1 goal scorer in Brynas, 3rd in total points (2 points behind Dackell). This was his 3rd season playing for Brynas IF. He was top 20 in the SEL in total points and top 10 in goals scored.

92/93 Alfredsson played half a season for Frolunda where he "emerged" as a good hard working forward but no offensive numbers to speak of.

21 years old:

11/12 Silfverberg dominated his team in scoring (8 goals ahead of the second best goal scorer and 15 points ahead of second best in total points) and was the runner-up in scoring in the SEL (for both goals and total points). Basically took over as Captain of the team when Dackell was injured in October 2011, formally once Dackell announced that he was quitting (during the semi finals). Despite this "turbulance" late in the playoffs he still managed to lead his team to win the Championship. Led his team in scoring in the playoffs and set a new record for goals scored in the SEL playoffs (previous record held by Alfredsson, set in 04/05). Furthermore he was rewarded with "Guldhjalmen" (the Gold Helmet) as MVP of the 11/12 regular season and later on was voted MVP of the playoffs. He also got "Guldpucken" (the golden puck) that year which is the an award to the best player in the SEL and National team. At the age of 21 he had already represented Sweden in two World cups (2011 and 2012).

93/94 Great season for Alfredsson, one of the best players on his team with 20 goals in the regular season. Top 30 in points and top 5 in goals in the SEL, 3rd in points and 2nd in goals on his team. Frolunda was eliminated in the quarter finals.

22 years old:

12/13 Silfverberg AHL/NHL

94/95 Alfredsson SEL, another good season being one of the best players on the team (2nd in total points and in goals scored on his team).

I'll give you that Alfredsson had a better start in NA, but then again that would be at 23 years old, i.e. next season for Silfverberg.

All this said, it doesn't mean that Silfverberg will turn out to be a new Alfredsson. SEL success is never a guarantee for NHL success but in terms of their respective careers at the same age, i.e. in the SEL, there's no doubt that Silfverberg has Alfredsson beat big time.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by LaGu: 03-22-2013 at 09:52 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Sorry, not a Senators supporter but I was taking a look around hfboards and fell across this thread. What caught my interest was the Alfredsson vs Silfverberg at the same age.

Alfredsson is a homie for me, he's from my home town and was playing for my team in the SEL so I am normally biased when it comes to him. That said, this shouldn't even be a discussion, Silfverberg was significantly better than Alfredsson playing in the SEL. It is not even remotely close.

20 years old:

10/11 Silfverberg was the no 1 goal scorer in Brynas, 3rd in total points (2 points behind Dackell). This was his 3rd season playing for Brynas IF. He was top 20 in the SEL in total points and top 10 in goals scored.

92/93 Alfredsson played half a season for Frolunda where he "emerged" as a good hard working forward but no offensive numbers to speak of.

21 years old:

11/12 Silfverberg dominated his team in scoring (8 goals ahead of the second best goal scorer and 15 points ahead of second best in total points) and was the runner-up in scoring in the SEL (for both goals and total points). Basically took over as Captain of the team when Dackell was injured in October 2011, formally once Dackell announced that he was quitting (during the semi finals). Despite this "turbulance" late in the playoffs he still managed to lead his team to win the Championship. Led his team in scoring in the playoffs and set a new record for goals scored in the SEL playoffs (previous record held by Alfredsson, set in 04/05). Furthermore he was rewarded with "Guldhjalmen" (the Gold Helmet) as MVP of the 11/12 regular season and later on was voted MVP of the playoffs. He also got "Guldpucken" (the golden puck) that year which is the an award to the best player in the SEL and National team. At the age of 21 he had already represented Sweden in two World cups (2011 and 2012).

93/94 Great season for Alfredsson, one of the best players on his team with 20 goals in the regular season. Top 30 in points and top 5 in goals in the SEL, 3rd in points and 2nd in goals on his team. Frolunda was eliminated in the quarter finals.

22 years old:

12/13 Silfverberg AHL/NHL

94/95 Alfredsson SEL, another good season being one of the best players on the team (2nd in total points and in goals scored on his team).

I'll give you that Alfredsson had a better start in NA, but then again that would be at 23 years old, i.e. next season for Silfverberg.

All this said, it doesn't mean that Silfverberg will turn out to be a new Alfredsson. SEL success is never a guarantee for NHL success but in terms of their respective careers at the same age, i.e. in the SEL, there's no doubt that Silfverberg has Alfredsson beat big time.

Sorry for the long post.
No problem...this is something I've been using as a 'benchmark' so to speak for Silfverberg in most of my discussions involving his potential. It's not even just limited to Alfredsson though -- Silfverberg has had one of the most successful and impressive runs in the SEL of any young prospect in history. There are very few Swedish prospects that have come out of the SEL with the type of accomplishments and showing the same kind of promise at the same age as Silfverberg has.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Flamingo

Silfverburg and Zibanejad will make for interesting comparisons over the course of their careers.

Sifverburg's taken a similar path to Alfredsson, playing in the SEL until he'd achieved some personal accomplishments there. Start with full-time NHL duties at 22-23 years old.

Zibanejad has been promoted to the next level of competition ahead of his cohort, not dominating, but showing bursts of potential.

At his point, they both seem to be very well-rounded forwards who are starting to make their first adjustments to the quality of competition in the NHL.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post

It's been really interesting to see how Silfverberg develops. And Zibanejad, they are both really exciting prospects.

I was also laughing at how you are apologizing for liking Alfie and being biased... don't worry about that around here

Lenny the Lynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
No problem...this is something I've been using as a 'benchmark' so to speak for Silfverberg in most of my discussions involving his potential. It's not even just limited to Alfredsson though -- Silfverberg has had one of the most successful and impressive runs in the SEL of any young prospect in history. There are very few Swedish prospects that have come out of the SEL with the type of accomplishments and showing the same kind of promise at the same age as Silfverberg has.
Come to think of it I can't even think of anyone single player with the same kind of record over a single season at that age. In terms of stats there are a few of course but together with his grand slam of 3 MVP awards (reg. season, playoffs and SEL+National team) and being the captain of the team winning the championship (with a team that was expected to have to fight for a playoff spot before the season started no less...) I doubt there is anyone. Sure he didn't do it by himself but he was the leader so credit where credit is due.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:28 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
It's been really interesting to see how Silfverberg develops. And Zibanejad, they are both really exciting prospects.

I was also laughing at how you are apologizing for liking Alfie and being biased... don't worry about that around here
I figured that much but I thought it was best to be clear from the start.

Anyway, I am off. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

I have a feeling that one of these days something will just "click" with Silfverberg, and he will become a top goal scorer in the NHL, right up there in the top 3 for the rocket richard. That shot is just so beastly. He also seems to have a strong drive in regards to his shot and is constantly trying to perfect it.

One of these days he'll just find the perfect spots on the ice to take that shot, and spezza will always find him.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Another big thing with Silfverberg is that he is not shy of physical contact. Hes pretty strong and can protect the puck pretty well. You can tell too that he has very good hockey sense with his defensive play. Smart guy, strong enough to protect the puck, beastly shot. Thats the perfect recepie for a great goalscorer.

Maybe not next season, but the season after, he'll have a MASSIVE breakout season.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:44 PM
HavlatMach9

Gotta respect his shot. I laughed at his shootout move against price. He goes shot 99% of the time so a goalie has no choice but to bite.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
Make a trade and land Nicklas Bäckström and we got a Center to match Silf with

/DreamOnDude

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:39 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

The other thing is we haven't seen Spezza with Silf since he's been more comfortable playing in the NHL

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:33 AM
SebFromHawk
Registered Loser

The more I see Silfverberg coming into his own, the more I see a young Hossa. Anyone else?

SebFromHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebFromHawk View Post
The more I see Silfverberg coming into his own, the more I see a young Hossa. Anyone else?
Not even close IMO.

SlapJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebFromHawk View Post
Doesn't look anything like Hossa to me.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Does it really matter ? Alfie was a late developer.

Yes , Jakob was better from 20 to 22 , but hell be hard pressed to match Alfies 23 to ~.

I don't think Jakobs skating will be hood enough to have an a impact as large as alfies, he will be a 60 - 70 point scorer , which is nothing to to sneeze at.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Montreal Typical.

nevermind

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
DrunkUncleDenis
Montreal Typical.

As a Silfverberg fanboy, I'm having a hard time holding in my excitement for when Spezza gets back and they play together.

DrunkUncleDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelelele View Post
Does it really matter ? Alfie was a late developer.

Yes , Jakob was better from 20 to 22 , but hell be hard pressed to match Alfies 23 to ~.

I don't think Jakobs skating will be hood enough to have an a impact as large as alfies, he will be a 60 - 70 point scorer , which is nothing to to sneeze at.
congrats on the first post!

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote